Dawn of a New Era

As we all know, Gen 5 was the time of weather wars and perma-weather in OU. In Gen 6 however, this time came to an end as the nerf of weather inducing abilities and most weather teams. I however think that Sun Teams still have what it takes to become the best and brightest in the game. They have the most powerful Megas, the fastest sweepers, and some of the thickest walls. Without further ado, please take a look at my team.

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 32 Spd / 224 SAtk / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Pulse
- Pain Split
Ninetales is the obvoius choice for this team as the ability Drought brings up the sun to support the team. Fire Blast is a powerful STAB boosted by the sun and Dark Pulse hit the Lati Twins and Heatran hardest. Will-O-Wisp burns possible counters like Mamoswine and Tyranitar and turns them useless. Also helps rack up residual damage against walls. Pain Split is Ninetales' only form of recovery oputside of RestTalk and can help get damage while keeping this fatal fox alive. I would like help with Ninetales as I am not sure how good this set is. Speed EVs ensure I outspeed any Tyranitar that lacks a Choice Scarf.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Trick
This next one is a fast revenge killer as well as a great wallbreaker via Trick. He can hit hard with his powerful attacks or give me switch iniative and scout for counters. Volt Switch is standard to scout and get free damage, as well as telling me which pokemon they will switch into to counter it. Overheat is my Fire STAB and packs quire a punch under the sun, but one must be careful to not overuse it or Rotom will become set-up fodder. Discharge is my electric move when I want to stay in and also has a nice 30% chance of paralysis, which really help to paralyze sweepers that try to switch in.. Trick is to stop walls like Blissey and Chansey from being able to do their job, seeing as they will only be able to use one move. This is also on my team as a Mega-Pinsir and Talonflame counter since those pokemon otherwise wreck my team.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
The ultimate special wall. It can take on anything common short of Talonflame and Physhock users. Leech Seed stalls out other pokes and is great on the switch. It is also the move that allows this to beat Heatran. Giga Drain is STAB and gives me even more health back. Sludge Bomb is secondary STAB that allows a chance to poison and stall out opponents even faster. Synthesis is recovery that gives me extra under the sun. This guy can easily stall most opponents into submission and drain them both of their health and will to live. So thick!

Armaldo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
Armaldo is a great pokemon. He can easily take hits from the likes of Mega Alakazam and hit back. Rapid Spin clears hazards away which is needed on a team with Stealth Rock weaknesses. Stone Edge is a powerful STAB that hits hard and can easily KO Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y. Earthquake rounds out coverage and Knock Off removes items from pokemon that switch into it. Here are some Calcs against special attackers.

252+ Atk Armaldo Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Alakazam: 247-292 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Armaldo: 148-175 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Armaldo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 272-322 (90 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Armaldo: 255-301 (72 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Jump Kick
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
Sawsbuck is my physical sweeper and another revenge killer. Double-Edge is a nuke that hits everything not resisted it like a truck. Horn Leech is STAB that helps recover lost HP from Life Orb and other hits. Jump Kick hits Steel and Rock types that resist Double-Edge very hard as well as Ice types trying to score a KO. Swords Dance can help it sweep if given an opportunity to set-up. Sawsbuck is the pokeomn who lets me beat 2 or 3 three top tier pokemon with NU pokemon which is always a good thing. can punch major holes with a combination of his 3 attacking moves, but swords dance does not see much usage.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
Volcarona is probably my most powerful sweeper. I usually set up at least two Quiver Dances, which add to my special bulk as well as my special attack and speed. Fiery Dance can raise my special attack even higher, and Bug Buzz gives me two dependable STABs to attack with. Roost lets me recover and hold off physical attackers until Flame Body activates. This lets me set up and sweep entire teams. I've done it before and will do it again. It is just so powerful and can stall out both kinds of attackers.

This is my team in all its glory. Please help me improve it as I am trying to become a better player and appreciate the feedback. If you would like to talk about sun teams, need some help with your team, or just want to chat please message me and I will try to help. Thanks and I appreciated your comments.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)