dean's list student from my university escapes from sudan, threatened w/ deportation

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
This is ridiculous. A student at my school, Lino, escaped from a Sudan militant organization that kidnapped him and killed his father. He is on the dean's list at my university, works 2 jobs, and takes care of his siblings by himself. When he applied to be a perm resident, his application was denied because he received training from a "terrorist group" - the same terrorist group that held him against his own will and murdered his father.

Now he is being threatened with deportation back to Sudan, where he is likely to killed for being a Christian.

This shit is ridiculous, and I'm doing my part to spread the word.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080412/NEWS01/804120514/1008

http://sudaneseinkentucky.org/take_action_page10.htm

What the hell. Seriously, what the fuck is this shit
I feel bad for Americans in his situation
My Aunts boyfriend is from Columbia, and has been in Canada for like, four or five years on an expired Student Visa. So while his citizenship application is processed and other court things (blahblah here illegally, blahblah), he has to sit around in Columbia for over a year. After hearing the shit the guy at your Uni just had thrown at him, I'm really glad I don't live in America =/

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stories like this make me ashamed to be an American.

All of the great things this man has done get ignored simply because he is from another country. Like one of the responses to that first article said, this guy comes to America with nothing, raises his siblings, learns the language and STILL manages to get through high school and into college. An unfortunately large number of Americans who don't have all that responsibility and that tragic story behind them can't even pass high school, let alone raise a family, all while being less than 30 years old. Kinda makes me wonder what their excuse is =\

Either way, I support Mr. Nakwa fully and wish him the best. This case brings up issues in American immigration laws, the obvious flaws in American culture, and that there is seriously something wrong in Africa that would have allowed this kind of act to happen to him. I wish I could meet him, his story is very inspiring.

Despite the shitty rule/law, it's behind upheld. To me there's nothing wrong with holding up that law, it's just wrong that a law like that even exist. =/

This was actually really interesting.

He has my support. I'm going to be watching this story very closely.

It's kind of sick that they're trying to pull strings like that.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
He should have come here illegally, then they'd be scrambling to give him perks instead of punishing him for being a productive citizen.

This isn't a failing of American culture, it's a failing of American government. Find me an American who doesn't think this story is appauling? Don't condemn all of America because our immigration system rewards criminals and punishes the productive.

There's also a NYT article on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/12/u...rfectly+legal"&st=nyt&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

In any event, the case will be up for appeal, and if DHS recieves any political pressure whatsoever they will fold like a house of cards. Your friend isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, the problem here is that the Government is so afraid/wary of another terrorist attack, everyone has to suffer so that they can have absolution and we can all have peace of mind.

The part about him being refused residency because he had contact with a "terrorist group" makes me fucking angry. Laws/ policies that govern such tentative matters should be written more thoughtfully IMO.

I hope the right thing happens to your friend. ^_^

No offense to anyone, but I'm glad I'm not american....

You're Australian right? We have problems like that here too. Do you remember the Bakhtyaris (probably spelled wrong) or Cornelia Rau? Or even recently Doctor Haneef?

agreed. this is unjust and ironic in such a horrible way.

a question, though - on what grounds are they leveling a charge of training if he was forced to do it against his will?

My guess is that he was around the horrible terrorists, saw how they acted, and now he needs to be deported because he knows how to act like a terrorist. If he were to ever get angry or disgruntled, milliuons of americans would be at risk of dying!! How can this not be a simple question?!

^this as well as racism. (I.e. "random" bag checks at customs.)

I'm waiting for the day that enough common people realize that if we put together enough people we can literally overthrow the government.

Too bad that we're basically being governed by fear, and things like that will probably never go down.

Not proud to be an american. America needs fixing.

Except that an incompetent government is better than no government.
Could "no government" have systematically carried out terrible genocides upon millions? In "no government," some people get a kind of justice. In the worst forms of government, no one gets justice.

I find this horrible and am sometimes sad to live in this country. They say everyone has equal opportunities and this is a fair country but the american government does not show that. I support the guy all the way.

I take it that being Sudanese would be preferable, then?
Really does sort of show what a screwy country we all live in...
If it sucks so much, I don't understand why anyone would be upset about being deported. I mean, America is such a screwy country; there are some days when I'm tempted to pack my bags and leave for Sudan, which does a far better job of protecting civil liberties.

It's saddening that even the loosest connection with terrorist organizations can be grounds for refusal of asylum. It's ironic and really quite sad that the US's policies designed to fight terrorism have made Nakwa a victim of terrorism.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm ashamed you're an American too. If you detest your country so much then move to Canada. I wish people weren't so quick to jump on the America is evil bandwagon... it just gives more ammunition to people who hate us already.

As for chaos' friend... that is very sad. The law is unfair in this case and needs to be revised.

They won't change their laws for this, but i hope they can make an exception on this case because they really need to protect this person.

Could "no government" have systematically carried out terrible genocides upon millions? In "no government," some people get a kind of justice. In the worst forms of government, no one gets justice.
huh wha? With out any form of government people would carry out genocide on themselves. Anarchy is no good.

Anyways I briefly looked through the articles you posted and I saw that one had an address we could write to about this. I'll be sure to do my part and tell them that they're morons (joking, that wouldn't be very effective). I'm pretty naive about this stuff, but would starting a facebook group help get the word out? I'm just wondering because I've seen groups about similar stuff. Anyways I hope this ends well for him.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I'm waiting for the day that enough common people realize that if we put together enough people we can literally overthrow the government.

Too bad that we're basically being governed by fear, and things like that will probably never go down.

Not proud to be an american. America needs fixing.
This says what I feel. I think this is very fucked up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)