Defense List?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So whenever I am creating a new pokemon set or trialing what EV spread works best, I need to keep checking how it deals with certain walls, by doing damage calcultions of course. So I was wandering if someone could possible make a guide/list/sticky in the same manner as the Speed Tier guide. Because its not always fun to keep on having to go to the smogon analysis to find the EVs, then put them into the stat calculator to get the actual stats, and then put them into the damage calculator. I mean I think other people would appreciate this too, it would be very useful, even for use during battles or whenever.

So something like this

Pokemon [Set Name | Nature | EVs]: HP / Def / SpD

eg.
Vaporeon [Standard Wish Support | Bold| 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe]: 448 HP / 240 Def / 226 SpD

*List would be in alphabetical order
*Layout is random, just basically want to make sure all aspects are shown.

EDIT: If this is in the wrong place sorry :S

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While a speed tier list is pretty straight-forward to use, ie making sure your mon hits a certain magical number, in my opinion a defense tier list would be less so.

Making the list will be time-consuming, for ease of creation you can just have the common defense threats like Blissey, Skarmory, Forretress etc, and what sets they commonly run.

However when it comes to using this tier list you must calculate the attack stat you reach with your EVs, the amount of damage you are likely to do with a certain attack, how it fares against a certain defensive threat taking into account their stats, EVs and typing, and how much HP your attack will deplete.

You will notice that with this series of calculations during usage it's much more complicated than reaching a magical number on the speed tier list.

It will be time-consuming to make and time-consuming to use, offering little to no advantage over the Smogon Damage Calculator, and that's why I respectfully disagree with this idea.

I am referring strictly to the common walls, OU walls that is, I mean you should know how much you deal to things like Infernape or Gengar.

Not talking about it helping you reach some sort of magical attack/spa stat either, as that varies incredibly with items such as LO/CB/Expert Belt, etc, but rather the raw stats of these walls, so that you don't need to keep checking the stats of pokemon x running set y.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Why would you need to? Just use the Smogon Damage Calculator, which works out stats for you and allows you to plug common sets in.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally I don't see how knowing the raw stats would help all that much, seeing as looking at some dry numbers won't help you figure out whether you'll get that KO (which is the truly useful information here after all) unless you run some calculations, in which case I would use the Damage Calculator.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This would be over-complicated and useless. As other have suggested, just use the Damage Calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)