ORAS OU Defensive Nite ftw!

Hey guys!

I'm new around here so I'll introduce myself very briefly in advance. I'm Thomas and I live in Holland (so please don't mind my posibly terrible grammar) and I'm turning 18 this month.
I've made an OU team that has been working really good for me lately, about a winstreak of 10-15 games on smogon or so. I'm very interested to read your guys' opinion. Would love to here about posible improvements!

Let's get started!

MVP:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252HP/4Atk/252Def
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Tail

This team started around Defensive Dnite because I wanted to try it. Back in the days of D&P I believe I saw Xenon run it and i was so amazed by the power of multiscale I always wanted to try it myself and i haven't been disappointed. Dragon Tail over Dragon Claw because I can get rid of boosts or potential counters when they switch into me. Fire Punch is for coverage and Extreme Speed and speak for themselves ofcourse. It's one of the 3 Pokemon that I consider the core of my team.

Weapon of Mass Destruction:

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252HP/252Atk/4SpD
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

It hits so hard :'). Base 145 Attack doesn't need a life orb in my opinion so I gave him Leftovers and max HP to keep it alive as long as I can, I switch it in a lot because of intimdate. U-Turn comes in handy sometimes, but only when I outspeed the opponent. The only moves I actually use are EQ and Knock Off. Knock Off mostly on switch in to cripple my opponents counter for my Landorus and EQ just hurts very very hard. Don't know what more to say about it.

Super Sub (Late Game Sweeper):

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-Turn

Needed some more priority and a sweeper for the late game, so this was the perfect pokemon for me. U-Turn is on there just because I had to fill the 4th slot. Priority recovery is awesome but I don't actually have to use it that often. Brave Blitz takes out alot with max attack and life orb. Pretty standard.

Lead:

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252SpA/4SpD/252Spe
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

I needed a good lead and well Rotom-W does that pretty well. Trick is to mess with my opponents defensive core (giving chansey a choice scarf is the best feeling ever). I also use it as speedy poke when double-downs happen and it comes in handy taking down things like mega T-Tar, Heatran and so on. It's just a very annoying poke to face so I love it.

1/3rd of the Core + Cleric:

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Calm
EV's: 252HP/4Def/252SpD
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Aromatherapy

Chansey takes the special hits Dragonite can't. Ice Beam is pretty common in OU and Chansey doesn't even feel them. Damage Calc: 252SpA Modest Kyurem-Black Ice Beam does 15% to this Chansey so yeah enough said right? I'm sure you all know what Chansey does and together with Dragonite it's just a very good team.

Final Piece of The Core Puzzle:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Thorns
Nature: Bold
EV's: 248HP/252Def/8SpD
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Leech Seed

This was the final piece of the puzzle for me. Ferro and Chansey together as a core have a pretty big fighting and (Physical) fire weakness. Dragonite resists those moves. If I can keep all three of them alive untill mid game I'm usually golden. I chose to give Ferro only supporting moves for a couple of reasons: I wanted a way of recovering HP but with Rocky Helmet Leech Seed was my only option. I tried not running protect but it just didn't pay off. My Leech Seeds usually went to waste. I gave it Toxic over Power Whip/Gyro Ball because I wanted to do all my investment in defensive stats and it just doesn't hit hard enough for me compared to the permanent crippling that Toxic does. Stealth Rock is there because no one else runs it on my team and I wanted entry hazards to compliment Dragon Tail on Dragonite.

So this is my team! I'm really excited to here what you guys think of it!

Last edited:
Ehy man :3
The team has potential but I think that are things to improve. The first problem of the team is that you have two pokemon weak to Stealth Rock (Dragonite and Talonflame) that are in all teams. Another problem is that your team has problem against Sablaye and in general Stall Build because you haven't really a stallbreaker. Rotom is another problem for this team because you haven't switch in for it Chansey can switch in Volt Switch but take off more momentum and don't really stop it. Also Keldeo is another big problem for this team because you haven't solid switch in: yes Talonflame can revegekill it but Chansey can't switch in Secred Sword, also the team haven't a really switch in. With this rate i'm focusing to fix this problems and improve your team's synergy.

Talonflame is a good pokemon but I don't think that this set is good: Life Orb for example isn't the best item because pokemon like Garchomp and Landorus are more common (Rocky elmet recoil) and the Brave Bird + Life Orb recoil makes it not longevity. Also Sword Dance > U - Turn is the best option for this team: your team haven't really a switch in, with Sword Dance Talonflame can help you to destroy other team or pressure Defensive things.

Also I think that Latios > Chansey: Dragonite and Talonflame are really weak to Stealth Rock ( x4 and x2) for this reason need a constant support to work. In addition to gives a hazard remove Latios gives you a switch in to Keldeo and Rotom, also helps against fast Electric Type and pressure Defensive build. A good option is to use Hidden Power Fire because allows you to lure ferrothorm (that helps Dragonite)

Also your team hasn't s mega evolution that can help, Honestly I think that Mega Scizor > Ferrothorn because can give you a second win-con and a second Priority move that can help against offensive things like Lopunny and Diancie.

Another thing that I suggest you is to use DD Dragonite > Your Set. Honestly I don't think that your set really work because there are defensive pokemon that can do this work better (like Garchomp for example). With DD you can sweep and use the Dragonite ability really well. Another option is to use Choice Band to pressure Defensive things. Lum Berry is a good item in a DD Set because avoid the burn (Rotom and Sablaye can stop it with Will-O-Wisp)

Ah and use Leftovers Rotom: Scarf in general isn't a good item to it because inhibit to generate slow momentum, that is important because gives at your watllbreaker free switch in. Also it louses more longevity that is more useful against Excadrill and Talonflame/Tornadus

Landorus with this spread didn't really work (need or Defensive spread or Offensive Spread with Evs in speed). Honestly I think that SD + Yache Berry can work: with this set you can lure opposing Landorus-T or Defensive pokemon like Clefable that are the main switch to Dragonite, with Yache Berry you can lure Fast Electric Type: Latios isn't enough, many teams in fact have a Pursuit users + Electric Type, in this case the matchup is really bad (Latios is your only switch in for Electric Type) and Landorus with this set can help.

Set Complete:
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Sword Dance
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Hope I help :3

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! I think I'll implement some changes that you suggest. I have experienced some trouble with Garchomp and Clefable so I'll try your sets. I think I'd run Trick over Pain Split just because it's fun. Latios takes good care of the Garchomp problems so yeah you helped a bunch!

Edit: The only weakness left is stalling Gliscor, does anyone know how to deal with that?

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! I think I'll implement some changes that you suggest. I have experienced some trouble with Garchomp and Clefable so I'll try your sets. I think I'd run Trick over Pain Split just because it's fun. Latios takes good care of the Garchomp problems so yeah you helped a bunch!

Edit: The only weakness left is stalling Gliscor, does anyone know how to deal with that?
Running Starmie may help any issues with gliscor, in addition to providing hazard removal, and helping against keldeo. Though in fairness I dont think Gliscor is all that common of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)