Diablo 3

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
Can't believe there's not a thread yet. I'm so freakin' excited, I love the new class as well and I can't wait for the game to come out. :cloud::cloud:

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
holy LORD i did not know about this

AWESOME

edit: theres only one new class, no? witch-doctor?

i'm watching the gameplay trailer now, the engine looks so sweet. destructible 3d environments, really nice weapon/spell effects...

.. AND HUGE MONSTERS OH MY GOD

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see this game for awhile so I'm sure there will be additions latter.. if not w/e people will still love it for what it is.

it will be cool to get this, although I don't like playing these games much because they take up a lot of my time.. I'm sure my brother will love it.

The nice thing about blizzard is that they have working copies of their games when they announce them, buying them lots of time to smooth things over. Hell, Starcraft2 was announced 14 months ago IIRC.

Diablo two pissed me off being so boring but this looks like it will make me love the series again. The witch doctor is awesome looking.

monkfish

Hmm, I've been reading the FAQ and thought I'd get some discussion started:

FAQ said:
Players will create a hero from one of five distinct classes, such as barbarian or witch doctor, each equipped with an array of spells and abilities.
One of five? Diablo 2 had seven and no witch doctor. Since there has only been one "new" class announced, I assume that the remaining three (in addition to Witch Doctor and Barbarian) are from the old series:
- Sorceress
- Paladin
- Necromancer
- Amazon
- Druid
- Assassin

I can see Sorceress being one of the final three, but what else?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha so it was announced. Yeah, I thought someone would have created a thread on it 5 days ago when the teasers started =P Sadly I never got into Diablo so it doesn't affect me too much either way.

We got one problem out of the way (the announcement) and now we just need to get through the other problem. (the long wait tell it comes out, lol)

So, they say there are 5 classes. The barbarian and Witch Doctor(new) are confirmed. That leaves 3 classes left. There's pretty much always a full on magic user, so im also guessing the sorcerer/ess is returning. Im not sure about the other two. Im guessing there might be another new class with another old one. I'm also guessing the Amazon will return, as lots of Action RPG and MMORPG players love using bows, and thats a staple in lots of games of the genres.

EDIT-On the official D3 forum the people are stating that in the Trailers there is a character that looks like the Druid from The Lord of Destruction, so i just thought i'd say that, although this doesn't really give that much proof, its a theory we might be able to build up on.

Ah finally Diablo 3 becomes official. The gameplay trailer looks pretty interesting but reminded me a little of WoW. I hope this isn't a play-to-play or then it'd turn into the new WoW

Ah finally Diablo 3 becomes official. The gameplay trailer looks pretty interesting but reminded me a little of WoW. I hope this isn't a play-to-play or then it'd turn into the new WoW
It'll be played online on Battle.net, which has always been free, but you never know. I know some people are supporting d3 online with pay-to-play because they believe it'll make them focus on the game more with new patches, lag-free servers, and getting rid of hacks and bots that d2 always had.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Hmm, I've been reading the FAQ and thought I'd get some discussion started:

One of five? Diablo 2 had seven
no, d2 had 5 characters, an expansion gave it 2 (but really, only 1 cause :lol druid") and witch doctor is pretty much a combination of necromancer and druid.

while i sorta like the witch doctor, i'm very sad about him because that leads me to believe that the necro's gonna get ditched :( i can't really complain, bone wall will turn into WALL OF ZOMBIES

the barb's new stuff looks pretty cool, also in the gameplay video some giant fuckoff monster just eats a barb. EATS IT. cooooooooooooooooooool.

not sure how i feel about the orb bit though, but we'll see once release happens.

One of five? Diablo 2 had seven and no witch doctor. Since there has only been one "new" class announced, I assume that the remaining three (in addition to Witch Doctor and Barbarian) are from the old series:
- Sorceress
- Paladin
- Necromancer
- Amazon
- Druid
- Assassin

I can see Sorceress being one of the final three, but what else?
Going with no Necro and no Assassin (both similar to witch doctor imo) and perhaps no Paladin..

monkfish

I think the witch doctor is pretty much a necrodruid and i'm not sure we'll see the return of the assassin just yet. There will be expansions though, I'm sure Blizzard will see the appeal there.

I'm also quite certain that Blizzard won't be releasing a competitor to WoW, a market they already dominate. It makes bad business sense and won't be staying loyal to the Diablo fans who will surely make up the majority of customers. If anything they will try to make it a departure from WoW - 3D was going to be inevitable but that's the only similarity I've seen so far. It's not a MMORPG, it's still a single player game with an accessible multiplayer side.

I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS GAME

As of right now if very very disappointed in Diablo 3 from what I've seen and read. Probally easier to just list.

Pro's

~New Class with some interesting traits (using your spell to power them up)
~Graphics (including the 'Unique' Armor, Map's in general, and skills seem more ... visually appealing)
~More diverse interactive enviroment

Cons

~Gameplay looks terribly slow
~Game seems more MMoRPGish (May not be a bad thing)
~5 chars? Are you freaking kidding me.

Summary

I suppose what is bothering me is that PVP is going to suffer in D3. Pvp of course was/ is my favorite aspect of Diablo by far and with this slower feeling gameplay i think that D3 will unfourtunatley not be for me.

Cons

~Gameplay looks terribly slow
~Game seems more MMoRPGish (May not be a bad thing)
~5 chars? Are you freaking kidding me.
Just going to say that Gameplay videos ain't generally much of a guide, the game is probably fairly MMOish - but so was D2. As for 5 chars, meh, same as d2 classic..

Despite any negative comment I made I'm still going to buy D3. It's just that I'm not thoroughly impressed yet... But of course you can never sasify everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)