move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Stealth Rock
item: Focus Sash
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Memento is the real focus of the set, the other moves are just mildly useful
  • You're using Memento 9 out of 10 times when you come in
  • Earthquake is really weak but can be useful for 2HKOing Nidoqueen and Drapion
  • Sucker Punch is good for getting that extra 20% off some threatening sweeper, but like Earthquake is ridiculously weak
  • Stealth Rock can be used if you know that you're faster than your opponent and have a turn to spare, and it's obviously good to get up
  • Can really only be used on offensive teams

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • EVs are pretty simple, Speed is the only thing that really needs to be maxed out, and you can maximize Attack to increase Diglett's nonexistent power or maximize HP instead to increase Diglett's nonexistent bulk
  • Sash ensures that Diglett will almost always get a Memento off, and can maybe let it switch in and Memento slow stuff like Escavalier
  • Arena Trap obv
  • You can use Hone Claws to do some amount of damage if you come in on a Choiced Electric move but no one really uses those much anymore besides Rotom-C which is scary
  • This set pairs best with things that are really scary after one turn of setup but often struggle to get that turn in; think stuff like Linoone, Omastar, Fraxure, etc.
  • Whimsicott can start that MEMENTO CHAIN and has Taunt to keep Diglett's Sash intact
  • A good offensive Spiker can be good too, such as Smeargle, Accelgor, and even Qwilfish can use Taunt to do work

[Other Options]
  • Choice Band to hit marginally harder
  • Choice Scarf is kinda outclassed by Focus Sash to increase the chances of getting a Memento off
  • There's no reason to use Diglett other than Memento

[Checks and Counters]
  • Kind of a difficult Pokemon to counter, because of Arena Trap and the fact that it typically kills itself with Memento
  • Aerodactyl has a fast Taunt and beats it
  • Cinccino has multi-hit moves to break Diglett's Focus Sash
  • Pokemon with phazing moves can stop the impending setup of Diglett's teammates
  • Regirock has Clear Body
  • Anything that's decently bulky and isn't weak to Earthquake can probably beat Diglett one-on-one
  • Extremely prone to priority
  • Needs its Sash intact to live literally any attack, it has like 10/25/45 defenses

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As you mentioned in the skeleton, Diglett's niche is very, very small, and the vast majority of the time it would be better to use something like Dual Screens uxie instead of diglett, nonthenless, after watching a few of your matches and trying out diglett myself (way back in Gothitelle meta tho). I'd be ok with giving this a set onsite (although some other people might not be). Just be sure to stress that if you dont need arena trap, theres usually a better option out there. If this does get approved, i might suggest adding Sand Attack in the AC over Sucker Punch, if Diglett gets a free turn to do something other than Memento, it can use Sand Attack to lower the accuracy of the opponent, crippling them even further and reducing the risk of set up, plus, Sucker Punch is mainly filler anyway.

EDIT: decided im not going to QC approve this just yet, theres been a bit of controversy over whether diglett deserves a set, once its all cleared up ill either approve or withdraw my approval.

Way too gimmicky. Whimsicott and Uxie will always be superior options to Diglett since they can do more things outside of just using Memento. Sorry Diglett :<

QC Rejected 1/3

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah i gave it some thought and i dont think Arena Trap+memento is enough of a niche to justify Diglett, although diglett is still a strongth ;_;.

QC Rejected 2/3

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I feel like something like this can be covered in a letter, we don't want to encourage people to use something like this in regular battles though because of just how precise you need to play it.

In normal battles the conditions have to be just right for this to work, and there are too many things that can go wrong.

PLUS, if Diglett actually did something outside of simply giving the team Memento support then I'd think about giving it an analysis. But really, Memento is a one-time thing, and the opponent can still fight back even afterwards and fight off a Linoone sweep (hard to do but possible). If Diglett was capable of doing something else like sniping a few relevant threats and then going down with Memento I'd be more inclined to approve it.

QC Rejected 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)