Do People Stereotype You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree but its OKAY if black people call themselves the N word because its an inside joke for them but its VERY WRONG for a white person or someone else to say it. I know it sounds weird but its kind of true like saying an asian person is always good at math is NOT true (ex. me). >.<;

And people always use the word gay which is VERY offensive IMO to gay people.
Actually at my high school: Tongons, Somoans, Polonesians, Latins, and Blacks can say the "N" word.

Whites, Asians, and Philipinos (I believe they are Pacific Islanders, not Asian, so I am putting them after Asians, and not in the same category) are not allowed to say it.

So its not just a black thing, its a "we only let these people say these words because they are cool". Black people who don't mind other races saying the N word (some blacks mind even other blacks saying it), are really just being prejudice by saying this is a human right for these people to say, not these other people.

I understand, as a gay person, that some gay saying "(BAN ME PLEASE)" is not as painful to me, as a non-gay (bisexual, (BAN ME PLEASE), straight), person, but still it encourages the use, encourages it being something more casual, and changes the way people perceive the gays who say it (they are seen as hipocrits). So in other words, all or nothing. If you can say something you need to handle it being said, or if not, never say it, never support it.

Basically, if you dish it out, you must be able to take it back, otherwise it shows uber-sensitivity, and prejudice.

What if Asians or Whites, or Philipinos were singing a hip-hop/rap song with the word in it, or reading Huckleberry Finn outloud with the word in their dialogue? Are they equally as bad? Especially if they themselves bought said album/song/book?

Can they not experience the items they purchased to the fullest because they are not Black, Latin, Polynesian, Somoan, or Tongon?

As an Indian(WEST, not east..AKA Not from INDIA, but of Indian/south American decent, yet im Muslim lol), I face a few stereotypes out there ranging from: Store Clerk/Gas Station/Night Shift/Terrorist(Wtf?)/Cheap/Turban/Taxi Driver/Russel Peters/Hindu/Where the Dot like in COD4?(SOBS i hate this one...) and many more.

I think its all good, as I have a chance to throw everything right back at any one who says anything. I dont really take these things personally(anymore...) I have pretty much had to learn to adapt to school this way, so now its second nature to fire something racial/stereotypical right back.

On the "N" word, while most dont like it, people yell it all across the hall all the damn time. I dont mind it any more at all. Really, its open use for people black people feel deserve its usage which range from: Latinos, other Black People, Indians(hmm..), even some white people deemed "worthy or in" with the team. Its just the way it works.

If any one really wanted to start something they would be more serious.

Live and Learn!?

I'm black and I never used the N-Word.

EDIT: Actually, no one can really stereotype me too much, because I don't fit any of the black stereotypes. There are a ton of Hispanics with noticeably darker skin than me, but people still make fun of blacks in my school by making fun of their dark skin. Also, my brothers both have hazel eyes, despite them having typical African-American hair.

It is going to get to the point where you won't be able to stereotype anyone, because races are going to mix even more as time goes on.

My min African American friend is mixed anyway. Actually, a lot of African Merican people around here are mixed with something else.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Being Australian I always have people asking if I drink a lot, or if my ancestors were convicts. =/ So yeah, I do to an extent

Misty

oh
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm the most stereotypical nerd imaginable. In fact, I'm so stereotypical that I'm not socially connected enough to know if people stereotype me.

Yeah, stereotyping is one of the most miserable things that has ever been caused by the human race. Why it actually happens? No clue. It's something to ask though.

I would have thought though that stereotyping African Americans would have been over with by now :(

I suppose racial differences are the cause, yet why that causes such venhemence is unknown to me.

I'm of a thin build, am good enough at maths, like computers and shit and wear glasses.

Needless to say I got bullied for being a nerd, which I'm not.

I think, Kristy, you're confusing perjoratives with stereotypes. Referring to someone as 'gay' as an insult doesn't necessarily mean they conform to the effete, mincing stereotype of a gay man (though I can confirm this stereotype is held for a reason).

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Frankly, I've had a friend of mine (who is black) explain the difference between a black man saying it and a white man (not trying to be sexist akuchi =]).

He says that black people reer to thenselves as niggas, and white people use the word (BAN ME PLEASE). The a at the end signifies something completely different than when it has an er ending. According to him, nigga is completely acceptable from white people or black (although it's too taboo for me to say, being a honkey), whereas anyone saying (BAN ME PLEASE) will be pointed out and normally fought.

Absolutely not; if I had to draw a comparison - which I'm hesitant to do because due to white privelige it's not really my place - I'd compare the black community using the word '(BAN ME PLEASE)' to the riot grrl movement in feminism referring to themselves as bitches, sluts, etc.
I think this analogy can be taken further; whilst some women do genuinely refer to themselves unironically as whores because this is how they are taught to view themselves by society at a guess I'd say some in the black community do the same; this however does not detract from people reclaiming the word, and in fact makes it all the more necessary.

Stereotyped as a nerd. However, I've gotten so many remarks about being a nerd that eventually I decided to take it as a compliment. Whenever some dumbass calls me a nerd, I just say "Thank you, I am quite intelligent and good with computers, aren't I?"

Believe it or not, since I accepted that term, I wasn't bullied as much in high school. Because the poor idiotic bastards had to think of something ELSE to make fun of (they did, but it wasn't worth getting mad at).

why is it whenever i see a thread posted by kristy it makes me cringe

example:

or

but its OKAY if black people call themselves the N word because its an inside joke for them but its VERY WRONG for a white person or someone else to say it

if you are not gay or black, you have no right to say what is or isnt offensive

as i read through this thread it lowers my faith in humanity

"As for stereotypes...People try to stick the "Band Geek" tag on me, but the band geeks at my school are far from the pocket-protector-bearing spcies of geeks. We're more the beat-the-shit-out-of-you type."

kid, you're not tough, seriously just because you can bench 10 pounds doesnt mean you're a thug

btw im probably gonna get my last 2 points from this post

"On the internet, people refer to me as the village idiot.
But on the outside, No one wants to fuck with me in a trivia contest if you follow me.
Its kinda like spiderman.
It is a shame though, I just happen to read more books than they do."

coming from the iron kenyan

"Actually at my high school: Tongons, Somoans, Polonesians, Latins, and Blacks can say the "N" word.

Whites, Asians, and Philipinos (I believe they are Pacific Islanders, not Asian, so I am putting them after Asians, and not in the same category) are not allowed to say it.

So its not just a black thing, its a "we only let these people say these words because they are cool". Black people who don't mind other races saying the N word (some blacks mind even other blacks saying it), are really just being prejudice by saying this is a human right for these people to say, not these other people."

i hate when people do this

"Being Australian I always have people asking if I drink a lot, or if my ancestors were convicts. =/ So yeah, I do to an extent"

pssst

your ancestors WERE convicts

"He says that black people reer to thenselves as niggas, and white people use the word (BAN ME PLEASE). The a at the end signifies something completely different than when it has an er ending. According to him, nigga is completely acceptable from white people or black (although it's too taboo for me to say, being a honkey), whereas anyone saying (BAN ME PLEASE) will be pointed out and normally fought."

great, so its alrighty dandy for me to say flucking chiggas

"Being Australian I always have people asking if I drink a lot, or if my ancestors were convicts. =/ So yeah, I do to an extent"

pssst

your ancestors WERE convicts

You're dumb, seeing as how the majority of the Australian population isn't descended from convicts in any way whatsoever (very few people were in the country before the 1850's, and even so a lot of them were free settlers).

1. In 1851 the Australian population was 437,655 (and those weren't all convicts either, seeing as free settlers had been showing up since 1815), a decade later the population was 1,151,947 due to the gold rush migration.

2. After the second world war the IRO sponsored more immigrants to Australia than had come here originally as convicts.

3. 6.5 Million people immigrated to Australia since 1945, our national population is 20 Million, a lot of these immigrants (as I recall it's at least 30%) are Asian or Southern-European, most of whom tend to marry within their own race, additionally a lot of people immigrated with wives, husbands, partners etc (such as my Grandparents on one side of the family).

Of course it matters, Kristy, and it is sheer ignorance to pretend it does not. Our race, our gender, and any of our predilections make up our persona and help people know if they want to spend time with us. To dismiss it as unimportant is nearly purposely ignorant.

McGraw, I think you are quite simplifying. Yes, those are many of the reasons for stereotyping, but it also happens because stereotypes are often true! A vast majority of the Asians I knew were smart people who were good at math. It is merely efficient to hope it is true if one is too lazy to find out in each individual case. It is also only a problem when it is untrue and leads to some sort of debilitating situation, or when a person is so deeply bigoted that they are basically an unbearable person, but other than that it really hardly matters.

People stereotype me as this deeply angry, belligerent guy, or this deeply caustic fuck, or whatever, and it is a fair assumption, especially on the internet. A lot of what I say is an expression of disdain, but the reality is that often there is no real emotion connected with it, or even that I might find it funny, and this cannot be told except in real life. Now, the stereotyping that is fucking stupid is when people dismiss something as 'oh that's just Joel' when I describe why I have an issue with something or some philosophical idea that they are too stupid to understand, but even then it is merely my annoyment that is at stake, which I would be supremely (stupidly) arrogant to claim is important in the big scheme of several temparements, and it is not too big a deal that they cannot understand my ideas as most probably will never be intelligent enough to understand them.

Other than that, I am pretty much free of stereotype as a white, non obese male except regarding my hair and choosing to have big hair is my own fault, so I can hardly be upset about that.

You're dumb, seeing as how the majority of the Australian population isn't descended from convicts in any way whatsoever (very few people were in the country before the 1850's, and even so a lot of them were free settlers).

1. In 1851 the Australian population was 437,655 (and those weren't all convicts either, seeing as free settlers had been showing up since 1815), a decade later the population was 1,151,947 due to the gold rush migration.

2. After the second world war the IRO sponsored more immigrants to Australia than had come here originally as convicts.

3. 6.5 Million people immigrated to Australia since 1945, our national population is 20 Million, a lot of these immigrants (as I recall it's at least 30%) are Asian or Southern-European, most of whom tend to marry within their own race, additionally a lot of people immigrated with wives, husbands, partners etc (such as my Grandparents on one side of the family).
if you dont specify that your family was from a different place, there is no way to tell who the hell your ancestors are

if your family has lived in australia for about 4 generations, they were originally convicts or someone who shipped supplies

if your family has lived in australia for about 4 generations, they were originally convicts or someone who shipped supplies
Or gold rush immigrants, seeing as if someone had come to Australia in 1850 there could easily be 4 generations beyond them now (probably more like 5 or 6).

I, for instance, am at least a 6th generation Australian (I don't remember if it's 6th or 7th offhand, but I know it's not more than that and I know it's not 5th either) with zero convict or supply shipper heritage - a lot of people came over to Australia as squatters (legitimate settlers who occupied land without Authority to do so) due to the promises of more space to farm and a better climate, not to mention incredibly cheap land if the government did ever catch up to them.

I'm Muslim, and I get stereotyped all the time. I hate it when someone can have the nerve to come up to me and call me a terrorist, or say that I worship Satan, or that I follow a pedophile, without knowing ANYTHING about their own religion, let alone Islam.

The ignorance is a problem. Many people who read this post will subconsciously disregard just BECAUSE it's about Muslims.

I'm Muslim, and I get stereotyped all the time. I hate it when someone can have the nerve to come up to me and call me a terrorist, or say that I worship Satan, or that I follow a pedophile, without knowing ANYTHING about their own religion, let alone Islam.

The ignorance is a problem. Many people who read this post will subconsciously disregard just BECAUSE it's about Muslims.
^^get out of here terrorist

I stereotype Indian people. I think that they are all diligent and hardworking. For some reason I've never run into any problems because of it though.

I am korean, and I feel like asians have probably the most immasculating stereotypes. Of being physically weak, bad at sports, etc. It's somewhat satisfying when I "bust" some stereotypes in say, P.E class, but overall it's still disappointing that people still believe in them. And it also gets very annoying when some people assume I'm chinese, or simply call me "chinese" instead of my name.

Oh well. As long as people are different, there's always gonna be stereotypes.

Out of curiosity, what do you feel about people who live up to stereotypes? I would've said a little mad they're not trying to disprove some, but then again, if that's truly who they are, then it's not really my place to change them.

^^get out of here terrorist

I stereotype Indian people. I think that they are all diligent and hardworking. For some reason I've never run into any problems because of it though.

The line between funny and ignorant has been broken, My friends usually stereotype me I'm black so I shouldn't care about school, I should do drugs, and play basketball.

Not to say I don't judge people but it's usally after I have a good idea about what kind of person they are.

I also dislike people who do all these things and say they're more black then me, when they look like they have been rolling around in flour.

The line between funny and ignorant has been broken, My friends usually stereotype me I'm black so I shouldn't care about school, I should do drugs, and play basketball.

Not to say I don't judge people but it's usally after I have a good idea about what kind of person they are.

I also dislike people who do all these things and say they're more black then me, when they look like they have been rolling around in flour.
ok yeah, it was a bad joke.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How the fuck does a person stereotype me? I have elements of loads of "stereotypes" but I don't conform totally to any one of them.

I agree but its OKAY if black people call themselves the N word because its an inside joke for them but its VERY WRONG for a white person or someone else to say it. I know it sounds weird but its kind of true like saying an asian person is always good at math is NOT true (ex. me). >.<;

this is probably the stupidest post i have ever seen

black people calling themselves and each other (BAN ME PLEASE)s is not a fucking inside joke. it originally was a way to show strength and unity by essentially 'taking back' a word that means such horrible things. unfortunately, i don't think it's really working out that way anymore.

the second part of your post is even stupider; in YOUR opinion, something is offensive to someone else? that doesn't make any fucking sense.

edit: as for whether or not i'm stereotyped, wearing really tight pants makes a lot of people think i'm gay or 'emo', and not drinking/doing drugs makes a lot of people think im some militant straightedge kid who hates everyone that does those things. this whole thread is really ironic though, a lot of you people can only assume that you're being stereotyped, and the act of assuming the other person is ignorant and thinks youre a nerd or a terrorist or whatever is stereotyping them.

Just in response to the OP...

I'm often stereotyped as a pothead, because I guess that's how I dress?

In the worst example possible, one time at a skate park I landed a trick and to congratulate some kid yells at me, "NOW I KNOW THIS KID SMOKES WEED!". Needless to say he was a little less hyped when he found out that I never have or ever will.

On second thought I really don't dress like a pothead. At all. So I don't know why I give off that vibe.

Generally people don't stereotype me, but I have gotten a few rude comments about my nationality here and there (I'm Lebanese). Although I'm not Muslim, I understand how you feel, cyberzero. All Middle Easterners, regardless of religion, have had it pretty bad since 9/11, which is understandable; however, it is an explanation and not a justification. Racial profiling is not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)