Do you believe?

Recently in the British media, alot of reports on UFO's have come about ranging from everyday sightings, a UFO crashing into a Wind turbine and an RAF plane firing on one (though no damage on the object was reported.)

Just the other day David Cameron (the leader of the Conservative party) informed the papers that if they were elected into power in the next general election he would release all secret documents in regards to UFO's.

Today this footage appeared on Yahoo (sourced from ITN)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090129/video/vod-daylight-footage-ufos-over-europe-f1a0497.html.

Now with these most recent footage aswell as all the other footage/reports.

Do you believe?

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I'm not soneone wo believes that aliens are behind these sights. I just think it's tomfoolery.

I do believe, however, that we are not the only lifeforms in this universe. It would be silly to suggest that of all the entirity of the universe, nothing else survives.

odds are we are the most complex form of life in the universe. odds are that if a candidate is willing to release all government information about UFOs, none of it is substantial/interesting =\

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
You know there was a story on a man from Nasa saying that there were indeed aliens that are short, with very big heads that are grey, and have big black eyes and are much mroe advanced that we are.

He said if they werent peaceful, they would have killed us already.

NASA, like you would expect, called him a liar.

And I begin to wonder, why are most alien pictures strikingly similar to his description?

As a man seeking adventure and discovery, I sure would like to beleive that he is telling the truth. you know what, I actually do beleive he was telling the truth. I just guess I wanna see something exciting happen soon.

odds are we are the most complex form of life in the universe. odds are that if a candidate is willing to release all government information about UFOs, none of it is substantial/interesting =\
"odds are"?

"Odds are" we're the most complex in the galaxy, but the universe?

That's a quick snapshot of the universe. Billions of galaxies.

Odds are, we aren't alone. But the most complex out there? Bit of a stretch in my opinion. There's also not really enough information to form "odds" on the subject. :\

I used to believe in UFOs quite strongly, though I found as I've gone on, my belief is kinda fading.

To believe that there are no 'aliens' is just stupid.

I believe that most if not all of those videos posted on the net are fake, honestly, there are so many of them it's just hard to describe, and in each one there's completly different kind of alien ship/creature/thing... unless Earth is some kind of alien holiday hotspot, which we would probably know, the chances of so many inteligent life forms visiting us is nil

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
To believe that there are no 'aliens' is just stupid.

I believe that most if not all of those videos posted on the net are fake, honestly, there are so many of them it's just hard to describe, and in each one there's completly different kind of alien ship/creature/thing... unless Earth is some kind of alien holiday hotspot, which we would probably know, the chances of so many inteligent life forms visiting us is nil
Well if I was an alien researcher and I found a planet with complex life and biospheres, I sure would like to investigate considering its probably something different ive never seen before.

I am willing to bet it might be if the rarity of intelligent life is as rare as they say it is. Although look at mars, or Titan for example. They are in our solar system.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i believe in aliens as much as I believe that flying spaghetti monsters are probable

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think there has to be something, somewhere. The universe is pretty big after all.

For a second I thought this was in firebot and it would lead to "in life after love."

I will feel terribly sorry the day that humans discover another intelligent race... for that day will be the day that humans will enslave them! (admit it we are that savage)

I will feel terribly sorry the day that humans discover another intelligent race... for that day will be the day that humans will enslave them! (admit it we are that savage)
I personally think it'll go two ways, we enslave them or they enslave us. Depending which one has the more advanced weaponry.

Anyway, I don't believe these footage at all. Oh gee, a flying saucer, of course that must be an alien. Because all aliens (if any) have oval-like spacecrafts and are more advanced then us by millions of years.

I believe that there are objects, which could be flying, and unidentified at the same time. To believe those objects originate, by means of an extraterrestrial organism, from another planet is not practical.

If aliens are anything like us their technology is probably getting way ahead of where they are at socially and their species will burn itself out in a few thousand years just like ours is doing currently.

Also the universe is pretty young, and it takes plenty of time (and perfect environmental factors) to evolve to a sapient level capable of space odysseying. It's not like any aliens would be super advanced because they've "been here for so long".

Unless of course they exist in a way we cannot comprehend in which case there is no point in discussing their attributes anyway.

PS- I think most "alien" events are governmenty test stuff, probably... [SIZE=+2]»[/SIZE] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_pass_accident [SIZE=+2]«[/SIZE] ...but then again who knows sometimes :-\

Odds are, we aren't alone. But the most complex out there? Bit of a stretch in my opinion. There's also not really enough information to form "odds" on the subject. :\

possibilities:
1) aliens exist that aremore complex than us:

A) they are vastly more complex than us and therefor have probably mastered spaceflight and located earth, but they choose not to make themselves known to us reasons for not communication:
- they wish not to tamper with our development
- they feel they would gain nothing/we are not worth communicating with
- they do not know how to communicate with us efficiently

=> while these are all possibilities, given that there is zero evidence for any of this, i can't really subscribe to it. they are possiblities in the same way that "a man watches us from the sky forever and always" is a possibility.

B)they are slightly more complex than us but have not yet discovered earth.

=>given the size of the universe, this is not completely impossible, but it also presents such a tiny area in the range of probabilities of the level of knowledge aliens have that it's almost negligible.

2) aliens exist that are less complex that us and have therefor no way of making their presence known to us

3) aliens do not exist at all, and obviously cannot make their presence known.

these two have the best evidence available supporting them, i. e. no concrete evidence of extraterrestrial sentience. 3) is of lower probability order than 2) since life arising nowhere else in the entire universe is extremely unlikely given it's relative ease.

note that the earth/solar system is at the nexus of two galaxies, therefor has a larger span of useable ingredients, and has amazing amounts of water, so life was pretty probable here compared to some arbitrary planet.

If aliens are anything like us their technology is probably getting way ahead of where they are at socially and their species will burn itself out in a few thousand years just like ours is doing currently.
hm, this is interesting, isn't there an upper limit at which a species reaches a certain level of intelligence to go "i can't continue on at this rate? I dunno. i think we as humans are almost there, but yeah i guess the sum of life in a neighborhood of the universe can easily be wiped out

I don't believe in anything that I can't see.

This means,
I don't believe in God.
I don't believe in Aliens.
However, I do believe in Oxygen and the like because of the strong scientific proof

they could also be the same as us.
they're us from the future!!

it all makes perfect sense. while subliminally warning us they have to be as covert as possible to prevent their past selves from killing themselves in confusion!

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Well, most of our theories about life are based off of earth and what earth life needs to survive. How the molecules form and whole bunch of chemistry jibber jabber.

SO I guess you could say we dont know much of anything except the biology of this planet and how it works.

What im trying to get at is, is that we don't know the probability of life occurring on extrasolar planets unless we really get the technology to study them up close and personal or something that could achieve that amount of potential information.

I guess we are going to have to wait a couple of years.

I think we would have a better time looking for big foot.

There probably is some form of life elsewhere in the universe. Hell, if we're lucky there are single-celled lifeforms on Europa or Titan or Mars (Recent measurements suggest that there are local sources of methane on Mars - which means interesting chemistry. The most likely option is geological activity, but single-celled life would certainly also fit the observations).

But is any of it here? Gods no. Quite frankly, odds are any life advanced enough to travel through space is thousands to millions of light-years away from us. The distance is insurmountable.

Sure, almost all descriptions of aliens are the same, and for the same reason all descriptions of succubi were the same back in ye medieval days - people know what to expect. When you're halfway between being asleep and being awake, and you half-hallucinate half-dream, your brain has images ready-made to plop into your consciousness.

The vast majority of UFO sightings are the Moon, believe it or not. Venus comes a close second. People just do not know what stuff in the sky looks like, and in particular they don't know of a bunch of the interesting ways they can be distorted. Human vision isn't very good at judging distances and speeds of objects that aren't near other objects, so these things in the sky can look like they're moving extremely quickly quite easily. Even pilots get suckered into thinking that Venus or Mars are a little closer to home every so often.

Considering the size of the universe, there could be creatures who are as "advanced" as us, who perhaps existed millions of years ago or will billions from now.

Aliens that orbit our planet?
I don't think so.

EDIT: Rather than keep this post short and sweet, I feel the need to point out that Discovery did a "documentary" about finding life on another planet using advanced technology.
It's a sort of "what if" another planet that met the needs of life existed and how life might have evolved differently presented as a real documentary.
They send probes with different missions; interacting and observing.
Here's the official website for it.
It's worth a watch if you're into this sort of thing, whether you "believe" or not.

As many others have stated, the odds of humans being the only advanced species in the universe is close to nil. Considering that every life form evolved from single-celled life forms having been formed out of "star dust" from the Big Bang, the number of possibilities are nearly endless.

I, however, completely rebuke the idea of UFO's actually orbiting Earth. Suppose the UFOs identified were truly from an advanced species, in which case: would they really be stupid enough to reveal themselves to us? I don't think so, especially when even science fiction supports the existence of cloaks being able to distort the light around "said UFOs".

Yeah... I know I pretty much repeated what was said before me, but at least now you know exactly what I think.

P.S. The videos are most likely fake. If it were me, I would have run for my life.

I believe the odds that we are the only complex life form in the universe is (nearly) 0.

I believe that the odds that we will ever see another complex life form in the universe ever is (nearly) 0.

Obviously, if they would ever meet us, it would not be in the most sarcastically stupid method. UFOs, as they are commonly pictured, are complete trash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)