Do You Guys Buy Your Games...

I have no problem downloading roms, since I've actually owned/own most of the games whose roms I download.

My beef about pirating games is that it's really inconvenient, takes a while, and is prone to getting viruses on your computer. I have no problem downloading music, however, because it's quicker.

To people complaining about viruses - you could just run an operating system that's not susceptible to them.

At least for the DS, in my experience piracy is much MORE convenient. No need to go to a shop, or wait for shipping when buying online. Of course those advantages also apply to commercial downloaded content, but the DS for the most part doesn't have that.

It really depends on the console we're talking.

I don't download ROMS because I'm just paranoid about the fact that there may be some kind of glitch in the ROM I'm about to download.

I don't really care about buying fake Wii games, since the better Wii games are a rare sight where I live, and so I have to resort to buying fakes

For PS3 Games like COD6 or MAG, I haven't actually met anyone who could offer me pirated versions, and don't want to, since I've heard that the pirated versions are just as expensive as the originals, so yeah.

and lol, why would I buy a PSP game when there are like shitloads of sites I can download a PSP game from...

Like many of the commenters here, I'm choosy about certain downloads.

Music, if I like the artist, I buy. I want to support them. Or if they're Indie and I like the song and want them to continue making more songs. However, if I feel they need to fall off the face of the planet and I just want the song because some guy over there (------>) got it stuck in my head, then I torrent it via Frostwire. Or, if I can't find a legal way in which to purchase it (as is occasionally the case) and it's one I really want, then I'll buy it.

I'm not too different with games, though I haven't really downloaded any ROMs - I'll admit to pirating a few PC games in the past ten years though, and I have downloaded games which are no longer being made (most recent is Sim Tower, though I ended up deleting it because I forgot how horrible windows 95 games were - noooo idea how I was addicted to that game for a whole week back in 99).

To people complaining about viruses - you could just run an operating system that's not susceptible to them.
By not throwing away thousands of dollars on an inferior computer I don't have to pirate my games. funny how that works!

BIG loven

Not so little anymore
I don't play many games outside of pokemon (don't even play pokemon that much) But whenever I do decide to play a new game I usually buy it after researching it to make sure its for me.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I use my r4 to see if I like a DS game before buying it. If I decide that I don't like the game, I don't buy it. If I decide I don't think it's worth as much as they're charging, I'll keep playing it until the price drops to a reasonable level and then buy it. In some cases I just use it to play games that I own but don feel like restarting, such as Pokemon. I use the gpsphone app on my iPod to emulate GBA as most GBA games are either hard to find or grossly overpriced.

I buy all my games. Never downloaded a single one. Sometimes I download movies and music though. It's been a while since I have downloaded anything though.

I buy my games out of laziness. Even if I did start pirating the DS games, I would still buy the Pokemon and Fire Emblem series, as I'd like to see them stay around.

Well, there is a site where you can get downloads for free, without viruses. So using that, I get most games except for most Pokemon versions and some other anticipated releases and classics such as Nintendogs and Zelda. Also, living in this part of the world DS games aren't very common so to get those rarer games I have to pirate.

I have realised that we live in a capitalistic world and there will be ALWAYS someone buying the games. And besides, Nintendo makes a hell of a pack of money from the consoles. Anyway, I always feel that 40 bucks for a game is a looooot and thepiratebay.org if one is careful enough doesnt contain that much viruses (LINUX)
The best stuff in life are free.

I know that the game companies are looting us with the prices of the games, but I do still purchase them. Even though its not much, I do know that part of my purchase is going to the paycheck of the clerk that cashed me out, the guy who unpacks the stuff, the truck driver who drove the game over, the guy who unloaded it off the boat, the sea captain, the guys in china who loaded it onto the boat, the guys who packed it, the guys who built it, the guys who designed it and of course the guys who marketed it. its a chain, and those local Clerks and drivers might be my next customers.

Circle of life guys, join in.

Saying that though, i do have my r$ for games that are unavailable to me anymore, so Im a bit of a hypocrit.

I only download music, too, Age of Kings. :)

You feel so proud of downloading music that you actually smile about it?? I can only hope one day your employer (assuming you actually get a job) tells you that he personally took $75 out of your check because he feels he's been spending too much money for your wage and is "broke" anyways, then gives you a heart warming smile in return.

I generally buy all of my console and DS games, though I only get very good games or games with a load of replayability. If I don't buy then usually find someone to borrow from.

Though for music I will never spend a penny on it, I usually go for cds that other people have bought. If not then I try to find it online for free, and if not then I go to youtube.

I don't go to movie theaters anymore, I watch everything online.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You feel so proud of downloading music that you actually smile about it?? I can only hope one day your employer (assuming you actually get a job) tells you that he personally took $75 out of your check because he feels he's been spending too much money for your wage and is "broke" anyways, then gives you a heart warming smile in return.
Since my username is in your quote, I'm going to say that I dl music out of necessity, not for the freebies. Most physical copies of what I listen to are nearly impossible to get ahold of around here due to the lack of decent music stores, and I am not going to pay $40-50+ per album/collection to import something from Britain or Japan or somewhere else. iTunes' music library is plain bad, and I can't find anything I like on there. That, and the fact that a number of artists I listen to do put their stuff up for free. Don't jump to conclusions. :/

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Stealing's pretty bad for game developers.

I don't steal games I don't own or just want to dick around with for a minute on my computer. And you shouldn't either.

(Music and movies, different story...)

I don't pirate games for two reasons. First, it ends up biting you on the butt, because anything I play usually is good enough that I want to support the developers, and pirating is only taking money away from them. The second reason is because it's STEALING. I doubt most people would shoplift cds/movies/games, but pirating them is the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)