Do you really need weather to be good? 5th Gen. OU RMT (currently ranked #76)

Okay, so I wanted to make a weatherless team that can be effective against any weather using Lucario who is one of my favorite pokes that is in my opinion is still the best late game sweeper, as well as bulk up breloom becuase I have fallen in love with the set since the first time I used it. When I started testing it, it got 11 staight wins and climbed the ladder on the po sever very fast peaking at number 28, but shortly after the ladders were reset making me climb once again. I am currently ranked 76 with 1261 points, and steadily climbing. So heres the team....

Team building process...

So I started out with Lucario because he's one of my favorite pokemon, and I play with favorites. I chose the Swords dance set with bullet punch, becuase the only true counters to that set are gliscor, jellicent, and tentacruel.

So that got me thinking "who can take care of all three of these, and I thought bulk up Breloom, another pokemon I love and it fits in great as well as help a lot against rain and sand teams, and on top of all that takes care of the scizor+rotom core.

Now I needed someone to help fix some of the synergy, and I figuredd it wouldn't hurt to get another poke to help against gliscor and tentacruel so I decided to use the LO Latios set for a strong fast special sweeper that can break down some walls that lucario struggles with incase breloom happens to die early in the match.

Next I needed someone to get stealth rocks up becuase stealth rocks is the most important move in the game, and helps a lot when it comes to trying to pull off a luc sweep. Heatran is my favorite rocks user as he can deal with most dragons and gliscor/landurus as long as he still has balloon in tact.

Once again I needed to fix synergy problems this time it was fighting I also wanted someone to spin block cuz I hate it when people spin away my rocks, so who better than Gengar with his great speed it also helps me take out opposing lati twins and gengar that can be quite annoying, on top of that he can ko jellicent which is a must in order for lucario to sweep.

Lastly I needed a solid revenge killer, I saw my team had a bit of a weakness to DD Gyara if it had duel STAB also of dd variants so I decided to use one of my favorite revenge killers from 4th gen Jirachi. With its natrual bulk great speed and coverage, he fits in great and completes the team. The only problem is it throws the synergy off giving me 3 weak to fire and only 2 to resist, but since heatran is immune and gets flash fire boost it isn't all that bad.

Now in more detail...

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch
- U-turn

Ah, Jirachi, the hax god. I can't tell you how many times i've finched a poke that resist iron head to death, or gotten a lucky para hax on a poke that would have wrecked my team. Jirachi is one of the those pokes that just gets the job done. He's very helpful when it comes to rking a ddancer like dragonite, or gyarados who would destroy my team if it wasn't for him. He also acts as a great scout for my team with U-turn...He's just bulky enough to take a ice move for latios when he needs in and often remove that poke so I can continue using latios later. Over all he's the perfect revenge killer for my team, taking care of all the threats the rest of my team doesn't like.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Look at this monster! coverd in lava, and yet this guy probably has the more freeze hax against him then the rest of my team put together :/ but thats besides the point. Heatran with Air balloon is probably the most reliable stealth rocks user as of now, he is really a miss fit doesn't really help with much other than asorbing fire attacks and getting rocks up, but he can help counter dragonite to some exstent too. He also can help with gliscor if no one has popped his balloon which is helpful for a lucario sweep, but thats only if it comes down to last resort. all in all helps the team quite a bit, can't think of anyone that can do his job as well in this team, but I wouldn't mind switching him for a differnent poke, any Idea's?

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gengar, Heck Yeah! Gengars been one of the best special sweepers from gen 1, and still one of the best sweeps of gen 5. On my team he serves as my spin blocker, as well as a decent answer to jellicent. I even use him to remove the lati twins and opposing gengar at times. Also gengar is the perfect counter to conkeldurr as long as the opponet doesn't go for payback from the start, which is great cuz conk can sweep 2 thirds of my team and i prefer it to be killed early on. Gengar also helps the team synergy being immune to fighting. Also he can lure a choiced band scizor, or tyranitar allowing me to set up either lucario or brellom then proceed to sweep.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 212 SDef / 60 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Bulk Up
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch

When I first heard of breloom I thought there was no freakin way it would work in a million years with such crappy defences 60/80/60 I thought it would never be considered bulky, but since I love breloom I tried it out anyway, and I was shocked! I never would have guessed how good it was heck it was even able to take a sun boosted hidden power fire from Venusaur! He's also a one man army when facing rain and sand teams, but the best thing about breloom is he sets up for a lucario sweep perfectly. He easily plows through tentacruel, jellicent, and even glisscor making lucario almost unstopable. Now all it takes is an opprotunity for lucario to set up and I win.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Latios gots it all, the looks, the speed, the power, the typing, and even the move pull. With life orb he can spam off draco meteors and do butt loads of damage on everything in sight. Latios acts as my wall breaker hp fire for ferrothorn, surf for gliscor, psyshock for blissey+tentacruel, and draco meteor for everything else. Most importantly gliscor and tentacruel. He also lures pursuit users for lucario and/or breloom making him perfect for the job, and making him well worth the spot in my team. Latios is pretty much the glue to my team holding everything together.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Finally the star of the show LUCARIO!!! Like I said earlier with this set the only true counters are; Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Gliscor which the rest of my team is built just to remove those very pokes, and lure a dark or rock type move to set up on. After the rest of the team has done its job It's pretty straight up, just get a swords dance off and proceed to sweep. If anyone manages to live through that I still will have jirachi there to pick off whats left.

Please tell me what you think of the team, tell me what you think I could do to improve it, and subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/salamence1100 if you want to see this team in action. Thanks :)

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dont have time for a full rate unfortunately but after a quick glance I would recommend going with Expert Belt over LO on Latios to bluff the Choice item and Extremespeed over Bullet Punch on Lucario. Because ESpeed is +2 it can save Lucario from faster mach punchs from the likes of Infernape. I know Bullet Punch is helpful against Terrakion but you have Latios and Breloom who can already cover Terrakion and Steel is redundant coverage when you already have a fighting STAB. But yes, Lucario is an amazing late game sweeper!

yes you dont need weather, and i like this team. However 3 of them are vunerable to fire, so you might want to put a pokemon who has a type counter like water type on your team.

Dont have time for a full rate unfortunately but after a quick glance I would recommend going with Expert Belt over LO on Latios to bluff the Choice item and Extremespeed over Bullet Punch on Lucario. Because ESpeed is +2 it can save Lucario from faster mach punchs from the likes of Infernape. I know Bullet Punch is helpful against Terrakion but you have Latios and Breloom who can already cover Terrakion and Steel is redundant coverage when you already have a fighting STAB. But yes, Lucario is an amazing late game sweeper!
lucario has both extremespeed and bullet punch....

as for the 3 weak to fire yes I realixe this, but I can use that to my advantage by luring fire type moves to abuse flash fire to some extent. I was thinking about using a starmie, but I'm not sure who I would replace to use him.

I would say gengar. starmie is faster and better coverage, takes advantage of rain for if you face it. Also lucario might might want a sash to get sd up and maybe some moves like mach punch, earth quake, stone edge, ice punch or blaze kick. they take down his enemies quite well that you mentioned, though he still falls to faster things like starmie. Maybe a timid one with nasty plot and aura sphere, dragon pulse mach punch or shadow ball/ dark pulse. it takes care of jellicent and gets more damage on you pysical defensive enemies like gliscor or salamance after an intimidate(i forget if sal. is OU actually.) hope this helps!

gyarados is a rather good counter to luke, aswell as a problem to your team without rachi, i might suggest a rotom w over latios to help that.

I would say gengar. starmie is faster and better coverage, takes advantage of rain for if you face it. Also lucario might might want a sash to get sd up and maybe some moves like mach punch, earth quake, stone edge, ice punch or blaze kick. they take down his enemies quite well that you mentioned, though he still falls to faster things like starmie. Maybe a timid one with nasty plot and aura sphere, dragon pulse mach punch or shadow ball/ dark pulse. it takes care of jellicent and gets more damage on you pysical defensive enemies like gliscor or salamance after an intimidate(i forget if sal. is OU actually.) hope this helps!
okay, with extremespeed and bullet punch speed isn't an issue I can almost always set up lucario and after a sd plus life orb it can easily take care of starmie...

Gyarados can be a problem, but latios can take it on with draco Meteor so switching to rotom-w wouldn't help much...

one dd means game over though
yes that was my point, draco metoer isnt always(if at all, they have high sp. def) to OHKO it, try thunderbolt maybe. also have you considered scizor, in gneral it works well iin rain and sand and normally, and can sweep a heck of lot. it also protects aginst your weaknesses, has amazing priority and you dont have any amazing sweepers at the moment. maybe gyrados would work on your team as well.
try:
scizor@life orb/sitrus berry
nature:adamant
252 attack, 252 hp
-bullet punch
-pursuit/roost/aireal ace
-bug bite
-swords dance

I love this set. It works two ways basically. if you have life orb, you can OHKO bullet punch t-tars who have only speed and attack evs to fire blast and outrun you, and roost is preffered on this one if you want hp regain, since some things cant do much to scizor(ie chansey with toxic and seismic toss would be helpless). if you have sitrus, you can sd, regain to ensure a priority survival and then bp or bb your way to winning. aerial ace can be used to ensure hits and super effect fighting types/bug types and normal effect other scizors. pursuit works good against latios/starmie/etc who die on expected switch out.

note that either gyrados or scizor can fill in for heatran, one doesnt even need an air ballon.

thats a set I used back in 4th gen, I wanted to do something different. I keep rachi alive if I see gyarados who has scarf and will OHKO with thunder punch. Latios can take a hit from gyara then ohko after rocks damage. Gyara is no problem...and if he has stone edge over bounce, breloom is a solid counter....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)