Does anyone else have a blind dog/puppy?

I have a blind 5 month old beagle puppy named Hazel that was possibly born blind. I wanted to know if anyone else has a blind dog or puppy. Whether through age or birth defects, I'm just curious to know.

I also have an instagram account of her
in case you wanted to follow: hazel_the_blind_beagle_pup

hows taking care of her like? does it bring more challenges than the usual puppy care?
A bit harder. We use clicker training on her. So far she knows sit, lay down and shake paw. She will occasionally bump into walls. We yell "Edge" and she'll stop and poke her paws everywhere to check for ground, walls and steps
Otherwise, she's a happy, hyper puppy which means she's healthy in general aside from being sightless. :3

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't own a blind dog myself but we do have a blind dog that lives in the animal hospital I used to volunteer at. She was able to see well enough but gradually lost her sight due to old age. Ended up losing an eye due to swelling. She's nice though when she wants to be. She gets chompy when she's not in the mood. Don't think her going blind made much of a difference for her since she slept most of the day anyway.

I don't own a blind dog myself but we do have a blind dog that lives in the animal hospital I used to volunteer at. She was able to see well enough but gradually lost her sight due to old age. Ended up losing an eye due to swelling. She's nice though when she wants to be. She gets chompy when she's not in the mood. Don't think her going blind made much of a difference for her since she slept most of the day anyway.
I'm not sure if this is true but I think I've heard this somewhere... Blind dogs tend to sleep more that dogs with eyesight. Then again, It's probably just her age. Anyway, she sounds very sweet. I'm thinking about volunteering with the vets or the animal shelter.
Our neighbors across us have a 19 year old Pomeranian who went blind and deaf through age. She has mammary cancer and she's still holding on. Damn!

I had a friend a few years back who had a very old if I remember right brown labrador who had gone blind. He slept a lot (probably from age) but seemed to get around pretty well, since he likely remembered where furniture was from when he could still see. I was little so I didn't interact with him much, but he was a nice old dog.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My parents dog is about 16 years old now, has been blind since she got hit by a car about 5 or so years ago, surprisingly she can still find her way around. She got lost in the park on a busy day in summer last year, we looked for her for 45 mins, went home to get more people to look, and she'd just gone home and was waiting there. Somehow got across a busy road too.

Hearing and smell go a long way for dogs, problem is shes kind of senile now and seems to just zone out and get lost, we wave hands in front of her and call her and shes just checked out not responding. Which is odd because aside from those times shes pretty much a normal dog.

Last edited:
No, but my 11 year old cocker spaniel is starting to go blind. He's beginning to get really bad cataracts, and he's had cataracts for a few years.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
lol this thread is pretty dead but i thought i would chime in
my 11 year old doggo started developing cataracts a few years back, and his visual impairment became pretty noticeable after he got diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago. We don't think he's completely blind yet, but he has trouble finding things on the ground and such. He still gets around the house remarkably well, and I've only seen him do something potentially dangerous once (when he tried jumping on the coffee table thinking it was the couch). He's not as active as he used to be and seems to want to be around someone more often probably for comfort reasons. Other than that, he's doing really well with navigating and receiving his insulin injections for his diabetes :)

Conni

katharsis
Hopefully this thread isn't so ded :P
I hope to become a vet someday, so I went to volunteer myself as a "contributor", so I went to help take care of animals and shelters, and there was this blind german shepherd named Buggy, and he was fully blind, and I took care of him for one week, you can tell it is tough for a blind dog, as Buggy tended to bump into walls and I had to pick him up and move him into another direction sometimes, he also couldn't find his food bowl or water bowl as good, so I think Buggy required a lot of help from other people, but now I still go there to check up on the dogs so he seems to be quite fine as of now :)

Hopefully this thread isn't so ded :P
I hope to become a vet someday, so I went to volunteer myself as a "contributor", so I went to help take care of animals and shelters, and there was this blind german shepherd named Buggy, and he was fully blind, and I took care of him for one week, you can tell it is tough for a blind dog, as Buggy tended to bump into walls and I had to pick him up and move him into another direction sometimes, he also couldn't find his food bowl or water bowl as good, so I think Buggy required a lot of help from other people, but now I still go there to check up on the dogs so he seems to be quite fine as of now :)
Aww. Poor guy. How old is Buggy? Hazel seems to find her food bowls quite well. Occasionally, she may step in them. Anyway, at least Buggy is fine now. Dogs are pretty lucky to have powerful noses to help detect stuff, paired with their hearing. It's so cute when Hazel sticks her paws everywhere to find stuff. Including when she tilts her head to every sound. Did Buggy cock his head to certain sounds?

Conni

katharsis
Aww. Poor guy. How old is Buggy? Hazel seems to find her food bowls quite well. Occasionally, she may step in them. Anyway, at least Buggy is fine now. Dogs are pretty lucky to have powerful noses to help detect stuff, paired with their hearing. It's so cute when Hazel sticks her paws everywhere to find stuff. Including when she tilts her head to every sound. Did Buggy cock his head to certain sounds?
Yeah he responds to certain sounds, although I think the shelter staff trained him. He's 9 months old. Yeah Buggy's very sensitive and alert to sounds he recognizes and his cute little ears perk up every time :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)