XY OU Doses & Mimosas (Sticky Web Offense)

Doses & Mimosas

This a Sticky Web offense team that aims to sweep with Manaphy or Heracross. I built this team after seeing Rain Dance + Tail Glow Manaphy in action. This Manaphy set is capable of annihilating many stall teams with ease but struggles against offense due to its relatively low speed. Thus, I thought pairing it with Sticky Web would be a great way to patch up this weakness. This has been my favorite team to use lately since it utilizes some underrated threats. With OR/AS and a huge metagame shift only a few weeks away, I thought I'd post this team to retire it, but also get some last minute feedback before the new metagame arrives. The team is named after a song by Cherub.

In-Depth Analysis

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Infestation

Shuckle is the team's hazard user and lead most of the time. It usually succeeds in setting up at least 1 layer of hazards thanks to its natural bulk, Mental Herb, and Sturdy. Mental Herb gives a guaranteed layer of hazards against Taunt leads like Terrakion and Azelf while Sturdy guarantees that it avoids being OHKO'd from full health. I generally prioritize setting up Stealth Rock first since it's useful against every type of team. However, if the opponent has something that outspeeds my entire team, such as Greninja or Manectric, I may setup Sticky Web first in order to keep them in check. If it looks like my team outspeeds the opponent, such as against stall or some balanced teams, I usually don't setup Sticky Web at all. If the opponent has a Bisharp or Excadrill, I don't setup Sticky Web until they are eliminated. Otherwise, Bisharp would get a free +2 boost from Sticky Web and Excadrill would easily spin it away anyways.

The defense EVs reach a bonus point in physical defense and guarantee that Shuckle avoids the 2HKO from Adamant CB Talonflame's Brave Bird and Jolly Mega Pinsir's Return. The special defense EVs guarantee that Shuckle avoids the 2HKO from neutral-natured Landorus-I's Earth Power and Mega Gardevoir's Hyper Voice. Encore prevents Shuckle from turning into setup bait and works well in conjunction with Infestation's trapping abilities. Infestation is also great for preventing double-switches and dealing a bit of residual damage.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Kick

Bisharp's main purpose on this team is to pressure Defog users, forcing them to choose between leaving hazards on the field or giving Bisharp a free +2 attack boost. Bisharp is even more useful these days due to the recent spike in Intimidate usage through Landorus-T and Mega Manectric, as well as Latios/Latias massive popularity. Bisharp is my main check to the Lati twins, a major annoyance for Manaphy and Heracross. It also checks annoying Fairies like Clefable, which Heracross dispises. In general, its STAB Sucker Punch can be great for revenge killing and comes in handy against Flying/Levitating foes that are immune to Sticky Web.

The moveset is fairly standard except for the uncommon Low Kick. Opposing Bisharp are a huge threat to Sticky Web teams and Low Kick turns my own Bisharp into a solid counter. It also OHKOs Tyranitar and ensures that Mega Gyarados cannot setup on Bisharp. Jolly nature is fairly uncommon but it allows Bisharp to outspeed opposing Adamant Bisharp and KO it with Low Kick. Jolly Bisharp also outspeeds Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados. Furthermore, with Sticky Web active, Jolly Bisharp is capable of outspeeding Greninja and everything below. Jolly Bisharp also outspeeds a lot of defensive threats that normally don't run enough EVs to speed creep it, such as defensive Zapdos which commonly carry Defog. Thus, I've found the extra speed to be more useful than the extra power provided by an Adamant nature.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Thundurus has always been a top tier Pokemon, though its effectiveness has somewhat decreased due to the rise of new metagame trends. Nonetheless, it's still one of the best Pokemon in the game because it's one of the best offensive utility Pokemon. Its Prankster Thunder Wave provides an emergency answer to many dangerous and speedy sweepers such as Greninja, Dragon Dance Dragonite, Mega Tyranitar, Gyarados, and Charizard X. Thunder Wave also comes in handly if Shuckle is unable to setup Sticky Web, which is usually happens if the opponent has something like Bisharp or Excadrill. Its troll base 111 speed lets it revenge kill things like Gengar and Lati@s which are immune to Sticky Web. Furthermore, Thundurus' Electric typing and speed allows it to be a decent check to Fly-spam teams that commonly carry things like Mega Pinsir and Talonflame.

The first three moves are fairly standard. Thunderbolt is the STAB move of choice. Hidden Power Ice nails Dragonite, Landorus formes, Garchomp, and Gliscor. Knock Off is fairly uncommon but I find it incredibly useful. It cripples the Lati@s that commonly switch-in to Thundurus. With the given EV spread, Thundurus is guaranteed to OHKO Latios after Stealth Rock. This eliminates one of Manaphy's best counters and prevents them from Defogging my hazards. Knock Off is also useful for crippling Chansey, another common Thundurus switch-in, by removing its Evolite. This makes it easier for Manaphy to break past it. In general, Knock Off is the best attack to use in case the opponent has a Pokemon that can easily switch into Thundurus' other attacks.

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

Manaphy acts as this teams stallbreaker since it easily demolishes most stall teams that don't use Ferrothorn. At +6 and with Rain active, Manaphy is capable of 2HKOing Chansey while Hydration keeps it safe from Toxic and Will-O-Wisp that are commonly found on stall. Psychic provides decent coverage alongside Scald, hitting things like like Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, and opposing Water types. Furthermore, Rain Dance allows Manaphy to annoy sand offense teams by washing away sandstorm and shutting down Sand Rush Excadrill. This is important since Sticky Web teams tend to have a bad match-up against sand offense because of Excadrill's speed and spinning capabilities.

Unlike stall, offense tends to be a terrible match-up for Manaphy since its base 100 speed doesn't cut it against speedy threats like Garchomp, Keldeo, and Terrakion. Thankfully, Sticky Web helps mitigate Manaphy's "low" speed and makes it much better against offense. Wacan Berry further improves Manaphy's match-up against offense. It is incredibly useful due to the current popularity of fast Electric types on offensive teams, such as Scarf Magnezone, Raikou, and Mega Manectric. If Sticky Web isn't on the field for whatever reason, these Pokemon would easily halt Manaphy's sweep. It's especially useful against Thundurus who is immune to Sticky Web entirely. Wacan Berry lets Manaphy survive a Thunderbolt comfortably from all of the aforementioned Pokemon and strike back with a boosted Scald.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Mega Heracross is a huge threat thanks to its gargantuan attack and decent bulk. However, it's lackluster speed hurts its viability significantly. That's why it's incredible on on Sticky Web teams since the entry hazard helps patch up its low speed. Furthermore, Heracross is my team's second Bisharp counter, aside from my own Bisharp. Opposing Bisharp are a huge threat to Sticky Web offense because Sticky Web triggers Defiant, so having good answers to it is important. Thanks to its Bug/Fighting typing, Mega Heracross is also decent against Sand Offense, another threat to Sticky Web teams, since it resists the Dark and Ground attacks commonly used by Tyranitar and Excadrill.

The moveset is fairly standard though I opted for Substitute over Swords Dance since I already have Manaphy to demolish stall. Substitute protects Heracross from crippling status effects and revenge killers. Furthermore, Substitute punishes opponents for switching out and Heracross already forces a ton of switches, especially with Sticky Web active. This puts a ton of pressure on the opponent and usually guarantees at least one kill if Heracross is behind a Substitute. Max speed allows Mega Heracross to outrun Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Manectric with Sticky Web down. It also allows Heracross to outspeed most Stall-breaker Mew before mega evolving. This lets it safely setup Substitute to block Will-O-Wisp and then Mega Evolve on the next turn.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish

Latias is an incredible Pokemon and it has only gotten better thanks to the recent bans of Aegislash and Mawile. It has the ability to check a multitude of threats including Keldeo, Charizard Y, Landorus-I, and Thundurus-I. It can also check Belly Drum Azumarill thanks to its Dragon typing and access to Thunderbolt. While Latios offers more power, I chose Latias since it has access to Healing Wish. It provides a second chance for Manaphy or Heracross to sweep and is usually used when Latias has outlived its usefulness for the match. Furthermore, Healing Wish allows Latias to remain useful even if a Pursuit-trapper switches in, making sure that they can't just trap and kill Latias for free. This usually lets Heracross get a free Substitute on Tyranitar and Bisharp since it usually forces them to switch out.

Draco Meteor is the primary STAB move and it dents anything that doesn't resist it. Psyshock provides secondary STAB and is great for nailing Venusaur and Keldeo as well as special walls on their weaker physical defense stat. Thunderbolt is primarily used to check Azumarill and Charizard Y, but it's also useful for nailing Skarmory. I'm not using Defog since it kind of conflicts with a dual hazard lead. Plus, Thundurus is the only Pokemon on my team that is weak to Stealth Rock so Defogging isn't that necessary. The HP EVs reach a Life Orb number and guarantee that Latias avoids the 2HKO from LO Thundurus' HP Ice.

Threat List
Azumarill - Assault Vest sets are the biggest threat since nothing can immediately KO it. The lack of Fairy resists means it can freely spam Play Rough.

Talonflame - Jolly ones are problematic since they outspeed Thundurus and can nail it with a Flare Blitz. Keeping Thundurus and Bisharp healthy is important.

Greninja - Huge threat if Sticky Web is not down because it outspeeds everything on this team and has incredible coverage. Other than setting up Sticky Web ASAP, paralyzing it with Thundurus is the best way to deal with it.

Manectric - Similar to Greninja but it cannot be paralyzed by Thundurus. Thankfully it's not as strong as Greninja so it's a bit easier to deal with. Having Bisharp means the opponent must be careful with switching it in, as a +1 Sucker Punch from Bisharp OHKOs it.

Excadrill - Not as threatening as the above threats. However, it's still an issue for this team since it easily spins away my hazards and outspeeds everything under Sandstorm. However, Heracross handles it decently and Manaphy's Rain Dance removes sand.

Rain Teams - Thankfully these are fairly uncommon because they're possibly the worst match up for this team. With rain active, Swift Swimmers easily outspeed my team even with Sticky Web on the field. Thundurus' Thunder Wave is invaluable against these teams.

Importable
Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation
- Sticky Web

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Kick

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic

Heracross @ Heracronite
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish

Last edited:

Unbirthday

TOP QUALITY POSTS
Hey, this team looks really solid and seems like it has at least some kind of answer to almost everything. Pokemon that trouble other Sticky Web teams in particular, such as Excadrill and opposing Bisharp, are handled really well by the team. That said, one threat that still sticks out is Assault Vest Azumarill. Between it being a common lead choice against a team like yours where it can beat pretty much everything 1 on 1 as well as nothing on your team being able to OHKO it, Azumarill seems like it can give your team a whole lot of trouble. Leading Shuckle against it means that you not only have to choose your hazard but also sacrifice Shuckle as well as another Pokemon to take it down, which probably isn't in your best interest. While often seen as an inferior or even trash option on Heracross, I would recommend that you give Bullet Seed a try over either Substitute or Rock Blast. While Bullet Seed is, like I said before, often regarded as a bad option, this is one of the few teams where it would legitimately make sense to run it. While both Rock Blast and Substitute would be missed a little bit, I think being able to neuter Azumarill without taking huge losses in return is preferable to this team, especially as both Latias and Thundurus already somewhat take on Mega Pinsir while Talonflame is OHKO'd by Close Combat after Stealth Rock. Dragonite is more of an issue with this change, so try them both out and see whether Azumarill or Dragonite is more dangerous to your team. Substitute seems like an incredibly useful move on a team like this that forces switches and sacrifices a lot, so using it over Rock Blast is probably the better option. Speaking of Talonflame, if you ever feel like SD Talonflame is becoming too much of an issue for some reason then you should consider making Manaphy bulkier. Unfortunately, to guarantee survival, you need to forfeit pretty much all your speed, and it's not completely necessary as it can't really set up on anything on your team and you already have semi-solid answer in Thunder Wave + Bisharp.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed​

Not much else to say as this is one of the more well-built Sticky Web teams out there. Good luck with the team.

Edited the OP with a threat list.

Hey, this team looks really solid and seems like it has at least some kind of answer to almost everything. Pokemon that trouble other Sticky Web teams in particular, such as Excadrill and opposing Bisharp, are handled really well by the team. That said, one threat that still sticks out is Assault Vest Azumarill. Between it being a common lead choice against a team like yours where it can beat pretty much everything 1 on 1 as well as nothing on your team being able to OHKO it, Azumarill seems like it can give your team a whole lot of trouble. Leading Shuckle against it means that you not only have to choose your hazard but also sacrifice Shuckle as well as another Pokemon to take it down, which probably isn't in your best interest. While often seen as an inferior or even trash option on Heracross, I would recommend that you give Bullet Seed a try over either Substitute or Rock Blast. While Bullet Seed is, like I said before, often regarded as a bad option, this is one of the few teams where it would legitimately make sense to run it. While both Rock Blast and Substitute would be missed a little bit, I think being able to neuter Azumarill without taking huge losses in return is preferable to this team, especially as both Latias and Thundurus already somewhat take on Mega Pinsir while Talonflame is OHKO'd by Close Combat after Stealth Rock. Dragonite is more of an issue with this change, so try them both out and see whether Azumarill or Dragonite is more dangerous to your team. Substitute seems like an incredibly useful move on a team like this that forces switches and sacrifices a lot, so using it over Rock Blast is probably the better option. Speaking of Talonflame, if you ever feel like SD Talonflame is becoming too much of an issue for some reason then you should consider making Manaphy bulkier. Unfortunately, to guarantee survival, you need to forfeit pretty much all your speed, and it's not completely necessary as it can't really set up on anything on your team and you already have semi-solid answer in Thunder Wave + Bisharp.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Bullet Seed​

Not much else to say as this is one of the more well-built Sticky Web teams out there. Good luck with the team.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah Azumarill is a big threat to this team, especially since I don't have any fairy resists. I'll try Bullet Seed over Rock Blast and Substitute and see which I prefer. It's also somewhat useful against other bulky waters like Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Suicune.

It seems rather desent to be honest, but Staraptor and Talonflame would seem like huge problems for you. Manbuzz would be hard as well if your thundurus goes down.

You might want to consider latios to your team instead of latias. The healing wish is nice, but latias' access to momento could improve your manphys chances of sweeping.

And like unbirthday said, it would work very well to run bullet seed on Haracross. bulky water types could potentially be a problem for you as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)