Pokémon Doublade

Status
Not open for further replies.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've actually used a physically defensive doublade in ou as a heracross check, it takes literally nothing from rock blast/bullet seed and proceeds to toxic stall and rack up damage with gyro ball. Cool, underrated mon imo. I feel that it should have wish/healing wish support from chansey/latias

Physically defensive Doublade is mostly a redundant idea imo because it already has titanic physical bulk thanks to base 150 Def + Eviolite so investing further in said bulk results in diminishing returns and it really needs the special bulk in order to be able to handle Mega Gardevoir at all (which is a huge reason to run it, because then it handles "The big 3" in one slot) and prevent itself from being extremely vulnerable to practically any neutral special hit;

252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 147-174 (45.6 - 54%) -- 46.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Doublade: 91-108 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

Yeah, agreeing with the above that I prefer specially defensive Doublade over physically defensive mainly because of Mega Gardevoir. There are other perks to the move as well, such as avoiding the 2HKO from LO Latios's HP Fire or Surf / Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock. Even without much Def investment, Doublade still takes on Mega Heracross just fine. 252/0 Doublade only has a meager 0.1% chance to be 3HKOed by a +2 Rock Blast from Adamant Mega Heracross, and while critical hits can mess that up, the same can be said about any Doublade set. The biggest problem is just that Doublade has a hard time hitting back hard because Mega Heracross is so bulky. Sometimes I run a Relaxed nature to always escape the 3HKO after Stealth Rock and as a safeguard against random critical hits, but either way, you really want as much special bulk as possible to better take on Mega Gardevoir.

Also, if you really want to be hip, run Aerial Ace to 2HKO Mega Heracross so that you don't have to worry about 3HKOing with Gyro Ball. :P

The thing is these swords have no reliable recovery, well maybe no recovery, can't even hold lefties. Has an almost useless ability for him, considering his movepool (If you count Toxic...lol) , it hardly does anything except make you a bright, red, ring target for low accuracy moves. Wish support is needed direly, and maybe Healing wish if you choose to have Latias. The fact that he has no recovery makes it harder to Toxic stall. You can probably Toxic stall M-Hera if he's not running EQ, but aside from that..wait, the blobs!
And of course, Knock-Off will be the bane of his existence, even if it doesn't KO him, it leaves him so crippled and eviolite-less, he wishes he would've been KO'ed instead. And since Knock-Off is probably one of the most spammed moves, things aren't good for him.

The thing is these swords are only used to counter M-Gardevoir, M-Heracross, and M-Medicham.

Edit: rt tho, what is Doublade's best set? Max spdef and hp with gyro, sacred sword, pursuit and rest?

I wouldn't really use Rest on it without Sleep Talk because the sleep doesn't let it to check steadily things like Gardevoir and Heracross. As aim already mentioned I would rather prefer to support it with Wish / Healing Wish from Chansey / Latias. The best set is probably the Toxic + 3 attacks anyway, that are Gyro Ball, Sacred Sword and Shadow Sneak or Pursuit. TBH I feel that even a Sword Dance set is kinda useless because it can't really sweep since Shadow Sneak is rly weak even at +2 (sometimes even at +4) and it has both poor statistics of Speed and SAttack (it has low HP too though).

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what Doublade is supposed to hit with Sacred Sword? The trio it's supposed to counter resists it, and outside of it I can't think of anything it can hit that wouldn't be covered by Gyro Ball, while Magnezone or Excadrill can safely take the needed number of Sacred Swords to KO it back with TBolt/EQ
So, wouldn't it be better to run Toxic/Shadow Sneak/Gyro Ball/Aerial Ace?

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what Doublade is supposed to hit with Sacred Sword? The trio it's supposed to counter resists it, and outside of it I can't think of anything it can hit that wouldn't be covered by Gyro Ball, while Magnezone or Excadrill can safely take the needed number of Sacred Swords to KO it back with TBolt/EQ
So, wouldn't it be better to run Toxic/Shadow Sneak/Gyro Ball/Aerial Ace?
Sacred Sword is mainly there to keep Bisharp from waltzing in and tossing around free Knock Offs and such from my experience. It also chops off a chunk of health from things like Heatran and Excadrill, which would otherwise switch in without too much trouble, but it's not mandatory.

As for Rest, I kinda like the move since there are those times where you really need to heal Doublade right now and can't find time to go to Chansey or something to pass a Wish to it. It makes Doublade more self-sufficient since things like Mega Medicham, Substitute Mega Heracross, and non-HP Ground Mega Gardevoir completely fail to 3HKO specially defensive Doublade, so you can wall them with Rest outside of hax. You're going to want to carry Heal Bell support to wake up Doublade early from time to time, but the way I see it, if you can find time to bring Chansey in for a Wish pass, you can find time for a Heal Bell. The main downside to using Rest is just that you give up a moveslot on Doublade, so if you're strapped for moveslots as it is, you can use Wish support from Chansey, Clefable, Alomomola, or whatever else. You'll just have to play Doublade more carefully since it can no longer heal itself if you get in a tight spot.

I see. My initial thought in response to Bisharp was "Doublade should switch the hell out into the Knock Off absorber anyway", but then I figured that Bisharp can proceed to Swords Dance on the switch if it has it

I see. My initial thought in response to Bisharp was "Doublade should switch the hell out into the Knock Off absorber anyway", but then I figured that Bisharp can proceed to Swords Dance on the switch if it has it
Usually, Ghost and Fighting have good coverage, so its was the reason tp run it on Aegislash. But since this is Doublade, he can't straight up OHKO things, at least he can survive like one more hit than Aegi-Blade lol.

The thing is these swords are only used to counter M-Gardevoir, M-Heracross, and M-Medicham.
Don't forget the all too common Mega Pinsir, so long as it has forgone EQ for CC.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 205-244 (63.6 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'll be staying in and OHKOing Bisharp, who will more than likely just SD.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 205-244 (63.6 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Well, that is a risk I usually would not be willing to take, especially in cases when opponent's wallbreakers are still alive. But that's me

Unless I REALLY want hat Bisharp dead, or am just in an "I-hate-Bisharp" mood (which happens quite frequently), I would never stay in and get that KO, no matter how healthy I am. Absorbing a Knock Off loses the primary thing that makes Doublade viable - Eviolite. Without it, Doublade is severely crippled in its walling abilities, especially to special attackers like Mega Gardevoir - whom Bisharp is very often paired with. Unless I had no need at all for Doublade anymore, or some other circumstantial reason to do otherwise, keeping that Eviolite is more important than a KO on Bisharp. That's my two cents.

^That 100%, lol. Staying in to KO Bisharp is not worth the risk of losing your Eviolite. With the Eviolite (assuming a specially defensive spread), Adamant Mega Heracross barely has any chance to 3HKO with a +2 Rock Blast without crits, while Mega Gardevoir has an extremely low chance to 3HKO with Hyper Voice even with a Modest nature and max SpA, to name a couple of examples. When you lose the Eviolite, that same Heracross has a shot at 2HKOing with a +2 Rock Blast, and Timid Mega Gardevoir easily 3HKOs with Hyper Voice (and Modest variants even have a solid chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock). The bulk you lose when Doublade's Eviolite is removed is extremely detrimental to its ability to handle the wallbreakers it's supposed to beat. If you want to catch Bisharp with Sacred Sword, you're going to want to try to hit it on the switch, not to stay in and tank a hit first.

Okay, so, I've used Doublade on my stall team for a while, and here's what I have to say:
1. Doublade can never afford to stay in on a Bisharp. Ever. There is therefore absolutely no point in running Sacred Sword
2. Specially defensive Doublade can sponge just about everything that isn't supereffective against it, which is good. It rarely can hit back, however
3. If the opponent's Mega Heracross hits a Doublade switch-in with a Pin Missilt or a Close Combat, a switch follows almost always, as most Heracross, indeed, no longer run EQ. This makes Aerial Ace almost as moot as Sacred Sword. The only attacks I have found myself using were Shadow Sneak and Gyro Ball, plus, I used Toxic, like, twice in ~30 matches. Doublade usually acts like a wish-receiving universal sponge for hits (resistance to SR helps to take the pressure off if my back if I fail to keep hazards off the field), or, simply said, as a Close Combat-immune pivot switch

So, I use this set:
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Aerial Ace
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak

I'm thinking that there might be some merit to running Swords Dance after all (instead of Aerial Ace), just so that Shadow Sneaks do 30-35% instead of 18-20% (not that it itself is particularly useful - the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that this could help against is Swords Dance Talonflame...if it decides not to run Flare Blitz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)