Battle Spot Double Dance Charizard & friends

So recently I got back to play on BSS and wanted to make a team similar to what I used in XY OU before Aegislash was banned, with Mega Zard X and Slowbro as my main core

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

I have always loved Slowbro. The set is pretty standard in BSS so I guess there's nothing new to be said. It's a very bulky mon that can punish Fake Out Kang, and check most physical attackers (Talonflame, Garchomp, Blaziken...). Scald will be it's main attack, while Ice Beam can be awesome if we predict a Thundurus switch while also helps checking Dragons. T-Wave is another tool against switch-ins since it will help Charizard setting up. Finally, Slack Off for more durability.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance
- Roost

In my old OU team I used Dragon Dance, but Salamence seems like a better dragon-dancer and Double Dance is awesome cleaning weakened mons. Outrage for maximum power, always watching out for fairies. Flame Charge and SD for setting up. I'm using Roost instead of coverage for durability since it allows me to check some Sucker Punch Mawile sets.

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 44 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Fissure

First I needed was a decent Thundurus switch in and a Sash-Sub breaker. Assault Vest Mamo allow us to switch into powerful special moves, which is always nice. EQ as main attack, Icicle Spear for breaking through Subs, Ice Shard for priority and revenge killing. Fissure used to be Knock Off, but it wasn't powerful enough due to the lack of EVs in attack, so I changed in order to flip a coin against unwinnable matches.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 200 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield

Sometimes M-Kang carries Secret Power instead of a contact move and Slowbro wasn't useful at all, so I added Aegislash, which also helps me checking Porygon2, Cresselia, Chansey and M-Gar. The EVs allow Aegis to kill a non-invested Kang at +2 while also resisting a non-invested EQ from MMence in Blade form. SSneak is useful for revenge killing after the Weakness Policy activates. Swords Dance is very useful against WoW users.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Grass Knot

I was struggling against Suicune and fairies so I decided to add Greninja as a fast cleaner and Suicune check. Standard set to beat Azumarill with Gunk Shot. It will also 2HKO Suicune with Grass Knot. Ice Beam and Dark Pulse for coverage.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Last, I also needed a decent switch in against status moves, so I decided to use in Sableye. The EVs allow us to come into special attacks, while WoW and Foul Play punnishes strong physical attackers that try to set up. Knock Off for utility and Recover for durability. I'm not really convinced about this pokemon, though, and I'd like to try Mega Venusaur and Gengar.

Main Threats

Belly Drum Azumarill:
Our only hope to stop after a Belly Drum it is hopping Aegislash can King Shield some of its attack and Slowbro burns it.

Breloom: Spore really hurt us. Aegislash can check it if it's not carrying Swords Dance, but it's usually a pain.

Rotom: Mostly Wash but also Heat if the opponent predict our switchs well. In fact, Rotom-W is the most threatenning pokemon I usually face.

If you have any tips to improve this list, that'd be awesome! I have been doing quite well on the Showdown Ladder, and I will upload some replays too.

I think with Charizard X it would be really beneficial to have something with Stealth Rocks as this really aids its sweep by providing chip damage and breaking sashes. It really can make a huge differences in many matches. Because of this I think Hippowdon would be a lot better than Slowbro on the team. With a Rocky Helmet it also checks many of the things that Slowbro can and with Yawn + Stealth Rock it racks up a ton of chip damage for Charizard and if its taken down while continuously Yawning, it can give Charizard a free turn to set up against a sleeping pokemon which is a huge reason to be running Hippo with Zard imo.

For BD Azu, I think there are a few things you could consider. I think Thunder Punch on Zard over Roost could be a decent option. I know TPunch seems a bit of an odd tech move but if you're really struggling against Azu this can be huge for you sometimes. It has seen some play on top teams in the past and has also seen some use on Dnite as well, which functions really similar to Zard. So I think it could be worth a try, and I don't think Roost is too valuable for your set as well since you're often going to be simply using Outrage to tear through things.

I also think you could consider Bulky Serperior over Sableye on your team. Bulky Serperior covers all the threats you've mentioned. Normally bulky Serperior runs Rocky Helmet but you could probably get away with a Leftovers set with Sub+Leech Seed too, I have seen that working pretty well on the ladder. But if you do want to try it with Helmet you could run Sitrus on Hippo if you decide to try that and I think it could work well. Rocky Helmet Serperior does so well against all the 3 threats you mentioned your opponent might often not bring them at all if they see Serp at Team Preview. But taking out Sableye will leave you somewhat weaker to Mega Kang(but bulky Serp is still really good against it), so to help that out a bit I think you could replace Grass Knot on Greninja with Low Kick and run Max Attack to pick up OHKOs on most Kangs.

Hope this helps, here's some sets for convenience.

Hippowdon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Glare

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

I think with Charizard X it would be really beneficial to have something with Stealth Rocks as this really aids its sweep by providing chip damage and breaking sashes. It really can make a huge differences in many matches. Because of this I think Hippowdon would be a lot better than Slowbro on the team. With a Rocky Helmet it also checks many of the things that Slowbro can and with Yawn + Stealth Rock it racks up a ton of chip damage for Charizard and if its taken down while continuously Yawning, it can give Charizard a free turn to set up against a sleeping pokemon which is a huge reason to be running Hippo with Zard imo.

For BD Azu, I think there are a few things you could consider. I think Thunder Punch on Zard over Roost could be a decent option. I know TPunch seems a bit of an odd tech move but if you're really struggling against Azu this can be huge for you sometimes. It has seen some play on top teams in the past and has also seen some use on Dnite as well, which functions really similar to Zard. So I think it could be worth a try, and I don't think Roost is too valuable for your set as well since you're often going to be simply using Outrage to tear through things.

I also think you could consider Bulky Serperior over Sableye on your team. Bulky Serperior covers all the threats you've mentioned. Normally bulky Serperior runs Rocky Helmet but you could probably get away with a Leftovers set with Sub+Leech Seed too, I have seen that working pretty well on the ladder. But if you do want to try it with Helmet you could run Sitrus on Hippo if you decide to try that and I think it could work well. Rocky Helmet Serperior does so well against all the 3 threats you mentioned your opponent might often not bring them at all if they see Serp at Team Preview. But taking out Sableye will leave you somewhat weaker to Mega Kang(but bulky Serp is still really good against it), so to help that out a bit I think you could replace Grass Knot on Greninja with Low Kick and run Max Attack to pick up OHKOs on most Kangs.

Hope this helps, here's some sets for convenience.

Hippowdon @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Glare

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
Thanks for replying!

Actually, Serperior seems like a good idea. I'd definetly try it out, Leaf Storm seems so good against Rotom and being inmune to Spore is awesome. I also like Glare to paralyze things T-Wave can't and to have extra speed control support. I'm not sure about Low Kick Greninja, though, since Grass Knot is much more unexpected and I already have Aegislash and Slowbro to check Kanaskhan and, in some cases, Aegislash can even counter it thanks to its 255 EVs in defense.

About T-Punch Charizard, is also a good idea. I usually have Roost to recover when I expect a switch and to beat Mega Mawile by reducing the chances of a fatal Sucker Punch. I think Serperior could check Azumarill, but if it happens not to work I think T-Punch could be a decent option too.

Finally, I'm not convinced about switching Slowbro. Partially it's nostalgia because I really love it since Gen 1 and I have had it in all my teams, but also because the Mamoswine + Slowbro + MegaZard core has happened to be awesome, and the ability to burn or paralyze on the switch paired with Regenerator makes it a perfect pivot.

I'll try those sets, let's see if they work, thanks!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have you not had much trouble against bulky Sylveon / Mega Gardevoir / Clefable? They look like they would just tear through this squad. Greninja is good at revenging them all (you'll need to take NOVED's suggestion and go max attack for Gunk Shot against Clefable though) but apart from that you have no switchins for a Hyper Voice. Aegi is cute I guess but it doesn't really do anything back without Steel-STAB (Shadow Sneak / Sacred Sword are basically useless). Since you have Weakness Policy to fish for boosts I'd recommend you replace Swords Dance with Iron Head.

I also agree that using the Serperior build NOVED gave you over Sableye is a good call. I was actually going to suggest keeping Sableye and replacing Aegislash with Heatran, but that makes you even weaker to Azumarill. You could do that though and replace Slowbro with Serperior which could work well but you seem to be non-negotiable on that :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)