Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so you have a few real questions

is there a pokemon you've always wanted to try but haven't? if so why haven't you tried it?
you said you hope to prove yourself in the doubles open. how much have you been training for it? in what ways?
top 5 ps room regulars are? (with reasons for each choice)
what would you say is your biggest strength as a competitive battler? what's your biggest weakness?

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[18:28] %hashtag smogon:are you telling me that quickscope noscope isnt a joke name
[18:28] %hashtag smogon:you were unironic about that shit

fyi i did do it for the memes, im not that fucking dense lol just didnt make it clear in my interview

ill answer all of these joke questions tonight

e: [18:29] #Audiosurfer:i think it's endearing qsns

sighhhhhhhhhhh
dont give us that "it was ironic shit" and "it was a meme"
we all know damn well that youre a 12 year old cod legend

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
this is a lot of q's lmao

I LOVE YOU QSNS

1)Are the rumors true? Are u racist :o
2)How does cowboy Star Wars end? bc I haven't watched that shit in like a month.
3)Why didn't u c finally when he was in Michigan? >:3
4)Smooth or crunchy Peanut butter? :^)
5)Is it true your wi fi goes off @ 11 bc your brother was doing promiscuous things :>

more questions will come l8r
1. you're an awful person deo
2. cowboy bebop has an amazing ending and its like the best reason to watch it ;_; go finish it
3. i was in new york
4. crunchy, smooth is for weenies
5. y-yea, sure, it's my brother >///<

Thank you for the stellar questions, deo, and i'm so happy to see that you've got more coming.

1. fmk Stratos, Ablast, Asurf
2. What kind of music do you listen to?
3. qsns is still a stupid sounding username yn
1. this is the last question im answering because i spent the whole time writing these up trying to think of a witty answer. i can't + audio had a funny one last week, so i'm not even gonna try anymore :(
2. i like rock quite a bit
3. yea it's still kinda stupid-ish but the name change thread only allows 1 change. idk if i would/what i would change it to if i had the chance though.

1) ban skymin y/n
2) whos your favorite user? (other than me of course)
3) what's it like working behind the scenes in al-queda?
1. the more i think about it, the more im thinking no. i feel a lot of its just bitching from people who got lucked out of a few games and while it happens, i dont think that makes it broken. on the other hand, i dont like how it shapes the metagame, so thats also something to consider :o
2. besides you, rats,,,,,,,,,, uh qwerts is pretty coolio but he doesnt really play mons anymore so :<
3. spell it right, you fucking infidel

1) how does it feel to have a bunch of joke questions asked day 1?
2) why are you still named qsns?
3) why are you a weeb?
4) are you going to answer that last question?
1. i mean finally and deo have posted in the thread, what am i supposed to expect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2. answerino'd in memos post
3. idk, i just like anime. sometimes i feel terrible about binge watching a show about a middle school weeb model who eventually falls in love with her brother but then again i dont really care lol (it's called oreimo for anyone interested!)

so you have a few real questions

is there a pokemon you've always wanted to try but haven't? if so why haven't you tried it?
you said you hope to prove yourself in the doubles open. how much have you been training for it? in what ways?
top 5 ps room regulars are? (with reasons for each choice)
what would you say is your biggest strength as a competitive battler? what's your biggest weakness?
1. i haven't played with deoxys-a in a long long time and i want to see how it works out in the meta atm. the reason i haven't tried it in a while is because every time it gets a kill w/ psycho boost, you lose so much momentum because of the drop. when i do end up trying it out, im going to see how a life orb set works because it just gets a kill and gets off the field.

2. in general, i've been playing matches against decent people a lot more. i've been joining in a few more of spacebass's constant spam of roomtours and i'm hoping to grab some good matches in his room tour circuit thing. i haven't been playing as many games lately so hopefully that should shake off the rust. i already have some teams finalized that i'm going to bring, depending on how much doubles experience they have (read: are they bringing a sample team or not).

3. #1 is iliketrains11, i have never been so impressed by someone's ability to both play this game and create only the best of memes. #2 has to be pikov, i dont think ive seen him play mons in months but he comes on just to annoy space and be friendly. respect. #3 goes to nido-rus, cool guy who uses lordsquads like chary rain and actually wins .__. #4 to fangame10, all he talks about is full tr and horribly inappropriate "dark humor" and he sometimes makes me cringe enough to deserve this high up spot on the list. finally, we have the up and coming elegyofvgc, someone who used to be horribly annoying but has now matured into a good player and solid user who makes me n_n

4. i think i have creative teambuilding skills and it sometimes works out really well, but sometimes i try to be a special little snowflake (see: bringing mega sceptile + discharge to a seasonals game) and it ends up screwing me over real bad.

What popular Pokemon or core do you not like using?
What Pokemon do you think are overrated atm?
1. although i do use it a lot, i groan whenever i have to put amoong onto a team. its got nice utility and stuff but a lot of the time, because amoong is so slow, your play is protect with its teammate + spore and if they switch into a spore immune on that you're kinda fucked. it can either put you in amazing positions or be complete dead weight.

2. bisharp is actually a terrible mon. every SINGLE time you bring it in its a 50-50 and relying on sucker punch to fix a terrible speed stat is the worst thing ive ever heard of. in theory its a top tier mon but its just a guessing game. i want it to drop to tier 2 or something but no ones going to agree with me.

Do you play any sports irl or have any interest in them?
i like watching football quite a bit whenever it's on. don't play it but i enjoy watching it as long as it's not the detroit lions. ik they've gotten better in the past few years but seeing them play reminds me of their absolutely dreadfully awful games in the past so i just avoid them :(

1. Worst Mega you have used, not named Sceptile?
2. Who is winning Doubles Open?
3. Your pick for strongest below-Voice player in the Doubles Room?
4. Who is your choice for Tour King? Joeys Raticate or shrop05?
1. woah woah woah wait. there is no "not named sceptile." there is not one worse mega in this format and im being dead serious. i would rather bring aGGron or audino or absol to a tour game than that piece of shit again. that was the single worst mistake of my life. it is so weak and so frail and has such a terrible offensive typing and it doesnt get draco meteor and omllllllllll
2. i wouldnt be surprised to see you, memoric, ablast, or kyle win the open. all of you are solid players atm.
3. besides elegy, checkmater's good enough to still be in the summer seasonal and shitposts more than anyone else in this forum. two very strong qualities in a user.

Good reasons why qsns is the dpotw. He's also the best n_ner in town.
A few questions for a single bae.

1. How edgy are you? What's the edgiest thing you've done?
2. Do you like trains? What about 11?
3. Favorite lunch meat?
4 (real question) What's your favorite team archetype to play with? What would you say you're best with?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
>using your ama to plug oreimo

Fuck you

Also if you're using bisharp to force sucker 50/50s you're doing it really wrong, i have bisharp on one of my teams (here) and it definitely doesnt force more 50/50s than the average mon. bisharp is typically doing either one of two things: it's keeping an opponent's faster pokemon pinned down with sucker punch, or it's slapping the shit out of someone with knock off. Bisharp's Sucker Punch is kind of like having Fake Out support: the damage it deals is kind of bonus, the real benefit is that you're buying your partner a free turn. Of course, Sucker Punch's two distinct advantages over Fake Out are that it actually hits like a truck and that it works every turn out. Sure there are Pokemon that outspeed Bisharp and have ways around Sucker, but that's just called having a bad matchup and oh no stop the presses Fox News Alert: Pokemon has A Bad Matchup. Knock Off, meanwhile, is just strong as shit and also knocks off. Bisharp absolutely deserves its 1.5 tiering ppl just need to learn to see it in the right light.

My questions:

1. Kazusa or Setsuna? P.S. do you agree with me that girls under blankets is really sexy
2. What opinions about DOU (from DOU players) do you disagree with? Can be as major as a general opinion of the doubles format as a whole to as specific as "heal pulse is a good move on clefairy." Go to town here, everyone has a ton of these.
3. If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life which one would it be? Would this answer change if I said you had to listen to the song for at least four hours a day?
4. How do you feel about BW DOU?
5. Have you watched Nagi no Asukara? If not, why the fuck did you watch Oreimo before Nagi?
6. If i offered you the position of Room Owner but with the stipulation that you could never use auth powers on Memoric, what would even be the point?

Actually i lied, Bisharp is a complete piece of shit Pokemon but here's the real reason why:

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 100 Def Rotom-W: 285-335 (93.7 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 44 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 298-351 (90.3 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Charizard: 308-364 (85.5 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
i like the 6th question ngl

e: i don't wanna give you a like tho, that's against my character,,,

What's your favorite core?
What's your favorite non DOU tier?
Why do you say Sceptile is worse than Absol?
Who do you think is going to win the summer seasonal?

1) Are you my Helga? http://imgur.com/qHNWT3f

2) When February rolls around and it's Black History month, what famous African American do you celebrate the most?

3) Why did u block messages on your profile? (its mostly bc of finally r-right)

4) Would you rather visit finally in Ebolaland or me? :3

5) Bc you've been tutored in like every grand slam tier, are u going to win or make playoffs?

6) Who do u hate more me or finally? :^)

7) What non hentai/anime shows do u watch?

8) Are u gonna help me make teams for GS? (doubles only fuk that other shit)

9) Best mega that doesn't get enough love

10) Are u on any social media platforms so i can stalk you write nice encouraging things for you everyday.

11) Do you think quitting smogon/pokemon is possible?

12) Whats your favorite word to call someone you don't like?

13) Water your dreams and aspirations for after high school?

14) Will you give me more cool animes 2 watch after i finish Cowboy BeBop? :o

15) Are u that one white kid at your school that everyone makes fun of and your comeback is always "it wont be funny when I have my M-9 :)"

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
mis preguntas
how soft is your skin on a scale of sandpaper to shaian
what's your favorite fruit
when are you running for the canadian prime ministry? can i be your vice prime minister?
my name is catbug what's yours
wanna have a cowboy bebop watching party with me and deomouto (and shane and mazz???)
tfw no glen gf
what dance move to you use to swoon the ladies/boys
what's your favorite club to go on the weekends
if you had a time machine would you go into the future to french kiss yourself
when i invent teleporters, can i put one portal in my bedroom and the other in your bathroom (and no, im not giving you a portal for your bathroom and the preschool down the block)
what's your favorite car
why do you always talk in shakesperean english when we skype
are you qwerts' sister?

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Interviewee of the Week #14 - Laga
1. Hi! Who are you and where do you come from?
Hello! my name is plays, and I come from Copenhagen, Denmark aka the literal best place to live despite our aids weather.

2. Where did your username come from, and what does it mean?
My username is actually a written form of a weird sound my cousin used to say! He would randomly just start verbally spamming the noise lagalagalagalagalagalagalagalaga, and I found it hilarious fsr... xD

3. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles?
I deny having a favourite playstyle in Doubles OU. If there is one thing about me that sets me apart from other players, it's my unpredictable builds, which is probably why i see success in SPL while playing average at best outside.

4. Obviously if you have a favourite playstyle, you have a favourite Pokémon too. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively, and why? What is your favourite Pokémon in-game?
My favourite pokemon to use competitively is scarf Lando-T. That thing isn't going unviable anytime soon, and is so ridiculously slappable on teams. I make sure teams containing this have the standard-ness compensated for by using a very random-looking mon with a very random-seeming set alongside it.

5. How do you feel the metagame changed from BW to XY to ORAS, what is your favourite metagame, and why?
I'm gonna have to call BW my favourite, because it kept shaping up and changing as the top players got better and sets became more and more standard. It's also fun going back to playing with gems and sleep clause cuz nostalgia n_n

6. At the moment there is obviously a Shaymin-Sky suspect going on, what is your opinion on it and do you already know what you are going to vote?
I have tried not forming an opinion yet. I have been following the sh*t out of the np thread to wait for convincing posts. I'm leaning towards ban atm, but am not sure what I'll vote.

7. With the release of Hoopa-Unbound we got a new strong Pokémon in the game, now obviously it had some time settling in the metagame, how do you feel about Hoopa?
Hoopa-U is a super strong pokemon, but it's very far from broken, especially in this already hyper offensive metagame filled with physical priority attacks. It does have an amazing matchup against p much all special attackers tho (unless bug or very strong fairy attacks), which makes it useful for teams that need such an attacker. I like it's protect breaking moves, since it forces you away from safe play, getting you out of your comfort zone.

8. How do you go preparing for tournament matches, such as Seasonals and Smogon Premier League? Is there any specific thought process or preparation?
For SPL I extensively prepare by building a team from scratch based around a core that I think of during the week or week before. I make sure the team is foolproof against my opponent's most used pokemon / team archetypes, and test it about 10-15 times against different people. During the game, I listen to the music fitting the style of the team I am using.

For seasonals I use maybe slightly edited versions, but mostly just teams i built in SPL

9. Talking about the Smogon Premier League, are you playing again next season and how likely is it you'll be playing for the Ever Grande BIGs?
I am 100% signing up next year in SPL; SPL is basically 60% the reason why I still play this game. Now as for the likelihood of me staying on the bigs, well that's up to Funkasaurus. He has a huge array of amazing potential retains; I'm competing with Sam, Finchinator, Ginku, and atomicllamas as 10k options, and Destiny Device for 11k. I would cost 10.5k to retain.

10. Also, who do you think is the big favourite out of Memoric, checkmater, Tesung and Tricking? And why? Who are you rooting for?
The big favourite is Tricking because maximizing ur chances is the most viable playstyle ;) also he is a good guy. The favourite is probably Memo, and wouldn't rly mind any of them winning :D

11. If you could change anything about Doubles OU, what would you change, if anything at all?
It's way too fucking hyper offensive atm, wtf is this even??? Stop spamming skymin keld burd. I think it makes the meta less enjoyable since a lot more of the plays are no-brainers, as in now I win or lose moves, but that won't stop me from counter-teaming the meta with mega aero...

12. Do you have a team that resembles your favourite playstyle and could you give a quick explanation on how to use it?

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Talonflame @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 76 SpA / 180 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 116 Atk / 140 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Classic way I build. This team is built around offensively covering almost everything. It won't be losing to HO anytime soon, because Keld + Aerodactyl + Hoopa is the ultimate anti-meta offensive core right now imo. Keld and Hoopa will be able to break through bulky mons like Cresselia, Ferrothorn, Kangaskhan, and Aegislash, while Aerodactyl has the sexiest matchup against Hyper Offense.

13. What is your favourite metagame to play outside of Doubles?

DPP OU!! I once beat M Dragon in a smogon tour, and I DIRECTLY AFFECTED THE SEEDS!!!!! Also it's an enjoyable metagame, so that's also a +

14. Who was your favourite tutee, and why was it me?
I don't have a favourite tutee, but it's Lohgock cuz he got real good and im also still gr8 friends with him :]

dw tho melo ur up there n_n
15. What are some of your hobbies outside of playing Pokémon?
I spam music basically. I've been playing guitar a for almost 3 years, and playing piano and singing for about 1.5 years. My school has a performing choir that I take part in, and annually runs a huge musical production; practicing + performing takes up 6 months starting here in September, and the musical is basically the fuckin best. Other than that, I enjoy going out with friends, and generally having a good time.

thanks laga for taking the time do this interview twice

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you are wondering why it took 2 weeks to put up the new interview, it's because of a mistake I made with saving the interview, the interview apparently getting wiped and being gone this weekend to interview, anyway guys its up now dont get mad please n_n

quick reminder you can always pm me on smogon or pokemon showdown for feedback :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)