Project Doubles Teambuilding Competition - ON HIATUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
With a solid lead in votes, SableyeMyBae takes the week! Congrats!

This week, we're building around...

Mega Charizard Y, one of the hottest stars from both XY and the current SM metagames. Boasting high destructive power with its astronomical 159 base Special Attack, Heat Waves boosted by its own sun from Drought, and workable 100 Speed, Mega Charizard Y stands as one of the top offensive threats in the metagame that's capable of leveling teams on its own. Still, it has to watch out for faster foes--its bulk isn't the best uninvested--and it can find itself annoyed at times, usually by Heatran. The likes of Mega Salamence and Tapu Koko can be a pain as well.

Deadline of building is on Saturday GMT noon-ish!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat

Jirachi @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 204 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leaf Storm

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed

I wanted to get back into DOU and figured Teambuilding Competition is as good an inspiration as ever! I started with Charizard Y, a cool Pokemon. My immediate thought was "damn Jirachi would be nice here" because it checks both Psychic spam and Mega Salamence (which is exactly 100% of the meta from what I've picked up) in a single slot, while also doing the Jirachi things we all know and (I) love. For my third Pokemon, I wanted something else that can stand on its own and be a threat, and I decided to go with Tapu Fini. It's bulky, not hard to set up, reasonably strong, and improves my team's matchup as a whole against the other island guardians. CM + Sub almost won San Jose in VGC and I didn't really know what else to run, but the speed outruns Jolly Azumarill (which is a benchmark I often tried to hit on many Pokemon last gen). Landorus-T is just an overall useful Pokemon, and the addition of Groundium Z has solved some of its biggest problems. I attempted to go for a bulkier spread rather than running the classic Scarf (although I hear AV is meta?), with enough power to OHKO 0/4 Tapu Lele at -1. Hidden Power Ice is a guaranteed 2HKO on 0/0 Mega Salamence even with an Adamant nature and bulky versions are probably walled by Jirachi. Venusaur exists as a failsafe, being the fastest member of the team and having strong coverage on big meta threats, although I'm still a little wary of it because of its anti-synergy with Zard Y (depending on the opponent, Zard Y and Venusaur would be used at opposite points in the game in a perfect world, but Venu is pretty dependent on Zard). I added Celesteela in the last slot because I didn't know what else to run and because unhelpful user Checkmater stopped responding after I said I didn't want to run Trick Room.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny

Team :
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 124 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 24 SpA / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Description :
  • The team is built around the offensive core of char-y + life orb kyu-B. I have been trying to build around Kyu-B for some time, but this week's challenge made me realise how many of char-y checks kyu-b threatened. Mainly lando-t, heatran(My set outspeeds timid tran), bulky waters by the virtue of it's excellent mixed offensive stats. Basically life orb grants it the ability to 2hko the entire meta without chip damage. I could have gone sub-lefties set but it is kind of sub-optimal right now due to abundance of fairies and bulky waters. Whereas Char-y does the obligatory nuking the steels for kyu-b(Timid is an option to take out lele more efficiently). Only issue was that both of them needed speed control to work efficiently.
  • Now, coming to speed control we have the good old core of jirachi + zapdos pushing the team towards tail-room archetype. Both still give me a good enough match-up against most offensive mons. I put rocks on rachi to alleviate my char-y weakness uptill now a bit. It also helps break sashes of stuff like deo-a. Jirachi acts a god pivot vs psychic spam and in general to half of the meta lol. While zapdos beats stuff like mega-mence 1v1. Also rocky helmet + static on zappy is hilarious.
  • Finally I added maranga berry miloric for just basically sitting and being fat and all. It also provides me with a third method of speed control in icy wind and basically gives me something to switch on char-y in a pinch. At this point though I had a pretty good match-up against most of the meta, I was still a bit iffy about my koko match-up which was a pain to say the least. So, incomes AV Bulu to act as an direct counter to koko and gives me a more than decent enough match-up against rain teams along with milo and char-y's sun.
Best team ever right?

Ability: Drought
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Overheat
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Wild Charge
- U-turn
- Protect

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Encore

Cresselia @ Electric Seed
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Icy Wind
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Scrafty @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 76 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 3 Spe
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Taunt

Short
Charizard + Landarus-T is the core of this team. Raichu-A + tapu koko for a better rain and sun matchup and keep milotic at bay. Cresselia against psychic spam, speed control and a easy win con against too special based teams. Scrafty help against heatran, sand and trick room forms intimidate cricle with landarus making. Overal with double fake out, double u-turn and double intimidate combined with cm cresselia it can be very annoying to play against.

Long (EV ect.)
Charizard: Outspeeds jolly tapu bulu
Tapu Koko: fyium-Z brave bird has a 50% chance to OHKO 252/0 tapu bulu, physical because special sucks with raichu-A.
Landarus: Standard set
Raichu: Mild because it doesn't live physical moves anyway and to boost fake out damage. life orb so hidden power ice OHKO standard landarus-T, encore so your opponent can't just protect fake out.
Cesselia:Max spd + electric seed for max bulk.(electric seed makes knock of really weak)
Scrafty:spe underspeeds base 60, bulk lives double egde and hyper voice Mega-Salamence. Taunt extra trickroom check.

Last edited:

EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Tailwind

Aegislash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Protect
- Extreme Speed

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- Protect

Milotic @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 64 SpD / 88 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Protect

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The team starts off with the Zard + Aegislash core. Aegislash provides the ever useful Wide Guard, and Zard provides TW, allowing Aegislash to outspeed Mega Gengar and Tapu Koko. Aegislash carries Wiki berry to restore 1/2 max HP at 1/2 max HP or less. The next mon I put is Zygarde. After a Dragon Dance, it outspeeds Tapu Koko and Mega Gengar. It also has Groundium Z to bypass Wide Guard or provide a nuke as needed. I still wanted a solid Dragon and Celesteea check, and a mon with Taunt, so Tapu Koko was added. Next, Milotic was added to deter Intimidate and Icy Wind users; it partners well with Zard and Zygarde. The last mon that I put was Skymin because it got good coverage and can take out mons that annoy Zard.

Other things to note:
Zard outspeeds Mence (+1) through TW.
Milotic survives Thunderbolt from Tapu Koko. (Icy Wind it back or Recover if you can.)
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Milotic: 330-390 (83.7 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
With a good two-vote lead, Arcticblast takes this week! Congrats!

This week, we're building around...

Mega Salamence! Banned for a huge part of XY due to its deemed-overpowered ability to break teams and threaten game, the dragon is now available for duty in SM. With its high Speed, bulk, power, and Aerilate, Mega Salamence can prove to be a destructive force anytime in a match. It's known for being able to run two sets, one a Dragon Dance build that can threaten to endgame and the other an all-out attacker with mixed coverage in Double Edge and Hyper Voice and a auxillary option for its third move. Still, it has to watch out for the various Steel-types in the metagame as, often, they can handily wall Mega Salamence with ease. Special attackers can also do a good number, faster ones such as Tapu Koko especially. In general, the metagame prepares for it quite well, which is to something to take note of when using this beast!

Deadline of building on Saturday GMT noon-ish! Also, this is again Week 9 because apparently I'm bad at counting :{|}

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Def / 116 SpA / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Pelipper @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Tailwind
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

When making this team I had no idea what could go with Salamence other than sand and jirachi both things i didnt want to use but what i did know is that the team was going to have a salamence so i didnt want to be too Dragon, Ice, or Fairy weak. I am a fan of rain so I used Pelipper, Kingdra, Tapu Koko, and Lele early on in team building because they are all part of Rain cores. Originally i also had Deoxys attack for synergy with Lele but later on even though Trick Room wasnt a problem I decided to replace Deoxys for Hoopa. Hoopa is used because it has a good physical attack and originally i had 6 Sp.Attackers but mainly it is used because it has Trick Room so it can unset TR. Lastly Salamence is using a DD set because of my lack of Physical attackers. The team has many possible leads. It has Tapu Koko and Pelipper. It can lead Pelipper Kingdra. You could also lead with Tapu Lele and Hoopa to stop Trick Room teams.

An updated Version ---> http://pastebin.com/RbTZaVwp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)