Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Description :
  • As stated team employs dual tailwind, courtesy shaymin and zapdos to unleash powerful attackers like hoopa-unbound, tapu lele and charizard-y. Shaymin-sky + char-y form an obvious core with both of them nailing each other's checks. Earth Power is opted on skymin so that the starting core isn't a sitting duck against heatran and focus sash allows us to get off an easy tailwind most of the times.
  • Next up, zapdos was added to have a more reliable speed control and provides us with a counter to mega-salamence. After this the combination of lele + hoopa was added to ensure I had more than a decent match-up against trick room teams. Life Orb Modest lele is a nightmare to switch in under tailwind. Psychic Seed is preferred on hoopa allowing it to take on special tapus and in general most special mons comfortably. Gunk Shot is preferred over hidden power ice since most hp ice targets are usually sniped by it's STAB attacks.
  • And finally since every team should have intimidate support, landorus-t was added as a fast pivot to add some more speed to the team outside of tailwind. But again since team has multiple speed control options, AV lando is an option for it to act as a better pivot.

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Seed Flare
- Protect

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Protect

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 88 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Tailwind
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Protect

I started the team with the Heatran + Skymin + Mgar core, as this core threatens many tier staples while covering most of their weaknesses. After this, I noticed that the core is really weak to LandoT, so I added my own LandoT. Tailwind Hydreigon helps with Speed control while hitting really hard, not to mention that it is immune to Earthquake. Lastly, I added Tapu Koko to increase my matchup against sum playstyles, like Rain and Kube Offense. It's not hard to play with this team; use the double tailwind core to pressure offensive builds, and pressure bulkier builds with the rest. The team is p weak to TR and Rain overall (That's why I'm running Sash Skymin and Taunt Gengar), so play around these playstyles carefully.

e: s/o Matame for being a nice tutor :]

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
vote!!!

BlueSkiddoWeCanToo
TheRealJahim
FighterVGC
darksylvion
Mr. Highways

Deadline of voting Tuesday GMT noon(-ish)!

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
It's a tie between darksylvion and Mr. Highways this week, so I'm gonna put my vote in and... Mr. Highways wins the week! Congrats!!

This week, we're going down deeper into the viability rankings to build around Araquanid! With its high Special Defense and a nifty ability in Water Bubble, Araquanid shines as a powerful attacker with just Liquidation alone that can also pivot in on threats in this more special-inclined metagame. While its Attack stat itself is pretty rubbish, Water Bubble takes its offensive potential with its Water-type STAB to another level, increasing Araquanid's damage output to tremendous levels. It can match up decently against a plethora of threats in this metagame such as Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, Aegislash, Mega Gengar, and Zygarde thanks to its typing, Water Bubble (which prevents burns and weakens Fire moves), and excellent 132 base Special Defense. In terms of bonus utility, it also packs Wide Guard in its arsenal. Still, the spider is also still quite slow and is prone to physical attackers, especially the top dog Mega Salamence.

Deadline of building on Saturday GMT noon-ish!

Last edited:

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

SPIDER²
A semi-room team designed around Araquanid-Metagross synergy.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Protect

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 76 HP / 232 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect
Araquanid is a Pokemon that appreciates Trick Room support, but certainly doesn't require it to function. I wanted to build a team that allowed Araquanid to shine both as a Trick Room attacker and as a utility mon.

Metagross really appreciates Araquanid's Wide Guard support, as well as its ability to OHKO all variants of Charizard Y through sun through Hydro Vortex. In return, Metagross can fend off Salamence with Ice Punch. Scarfed Landorus-T offers obligatory attack control, a switch-in to Tapu Koko, and an extra layer of defense against Charizard Y. Specs Lele hits unresisted targets for huge damage, and powers up Metagross's Zen Headbutt allowing it to OHKO Charizard Y, among other things. Psyshock > Psychic because of how specially-ortiented the meta is. Heatran is rocking the classic Substitute set, which is very underrated in this meta rn. Hoopa-Unbound offers speed control in a pinch through Trick Room, and in general is a solid mon that penetrates Protects. The 1 Spe IV lets you speed-creep other Hoopas. Araquanid in particular shines when Trick Room is up.

Here are a few replays of this team in action:

Last edited:

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Trick Room
- Protect

Araquanid @ Mystic Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Atk / 8 Def / 132 SpA
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Built this with Bowman for his SPL week 3 and while it caught the fat L to Linoone, I've had a lot better success in my own testing and I know Jake did as well. We wanted to try out spider but it didnt get to shine. Its a standard mence + Trick Room rachi to help spider. Spider has toxic in order to deal with milotic, cress/necrozma, fini outside of misty terrain or anything else that you wanna toxic. Zygarde came in next as it works well with Salamence to clear out steel types and electrics that resist its Flying-stab. Koko helps vs bulky waters and Salamence. We opted for discharge as a 3rd move to deal with azu rachi and Wide Guard on Spider plus Zygarde being a ground type makes it relatively easy to fire off discharges. Lastly we put ttar on the team as kind of a revenge killer, to stop things like hoopa and to prevent set up from zygarde/mence with ice beam. Chople and the spatk investment make sure you live LO superpower from lando and OHKO non AV landos

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Protect

Necrozma @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Pelipper @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 76 SpA / 128 SpD / 40 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

I wanted to use Rain with Araquanid so i added the Koko and Pelipper rain core. then i added Araquanid the competition is about building around it and so it had to go somewhere on the team. Necrozma is used to set TR. Kangaskhan is a mega i wanted to try. Jirachi just makes a nice steel type.

Last edited:
My first time trying this out :D

Hyper Voice Spam

Sylveon @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 152 SpA / 60 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Protect
- Helping Hand

Araquanid @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 Def
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Protect
- Wide Guard
- Leech Life

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 116 SpA / 48 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Protect
- Taunt

This team is built entirely around Sylveon and Araquanid, and the concept of the team is basically, we spam hyper voice, but they can't do it back.

My first mon of choice was Sylveon. This mon, after the release of 4 terrain setting fairies, got pushed under the rug, but I wanted to bring it back because its so freaking adorable. The 252HP/60Spd guarantees that you live a Psychoboost from Deo-A under terrain (since nothing on my team outspeeds it without TW), and helping hand is there to give your partners a boost when it especially needs to kill something. I put Hyperbeam just as a way to annihilate particularly annoying mons that may be otherwise really annoying to deal with (such as Milotic).

Araquanid was the second mon that I wanted to use, and the star of this week's theme. Personally, I like having some defensive bulk in Araquanid, since its SpD is amazing. With leftovers and leech life, this mon can be extremely annoying to kill, providing excellent support with Wide Guard (hence why opponents cant scream back at you) and dealing heavy damage with its water-bubble boosted STAB. Additionally, the water typing allows it to be an excellent swap-in when Sylveon is against Fire types or steel types or Heatran.

The two mons above, while excellent, are extremely slow. I needed a way for them to be able to dish out damage. My initial team was a TR team, but after realizing that I'm terrible using TR teams, I turned to the next best thing- Tailwind, and what better mon to use for TW than this OP thing?
I decided to make my mence a more bulky one. I invested 252 in SpD because intimidate somewhat takes care of the opponent's Defense, and he's setting up TW anyways, it doesn't have too much concern for speed. Protect is obvious, Hyper Voice as a spread/STAB move, and as my 4th move used Flamethrower to get rid of those pesky Steel types that could potentially wall Sylveon, as well as somewhat of an answer to Icy wind Jirachis.

Now I needed a second TW setter on my team, and I chose Zapdos here. In addition to setting up TW, it provides an additional answer to Celesteela, Milotic, Tapu Fini and an opposing Araquanid with Wide guard. Hidden Power Ice is there to hit those pesky landorus, and the 4th move I chose as Roost just so I have an option to sit in and be annoying or to just let myself die. The spread came directly from an ORAS TR/TW team, and I don't fully remember the reasons for the EVs

I feel like being able to control the terrain is extremely important in the current meta. However, I cannot use Tapu Fini for life, and using Tapu Koko would leave my team pretty vulnerable to an opposing Tapu Koko, as none of my team would appreciate swapping into one. Tapu Bulu was an option, but in the end I decided that Lele would serve the best in this situation, making my team immune to priorities. I put Taunt to stop setup mons (which I absolutely cannot deal with) and TR, and placed Shadow ball over Moonblast since Sylveon already has the Fairy STAB covered, as well an an answer to an opposing Tapu Lele. This does make Lele vulnerable to Dark types, but which dark type would want to stay into a potential moonblast?

I don't think you can complete a competitive team without a Heatran. Its speed allows it to outspeed a jolly lando-t under TW. I placed Shuca Berry on it to help live any ground type moves it would otherwise die to, giving heatran more time to perform its magic. I chose flamethrower over HP Ice or Flash Cannon because of its 100% accuracy STAB and overall a more consistent way of dealing out maximum damage.

nvakna

consistently random
is a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

Araquanid @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Lunge
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 28 Def / 12 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Protect

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Air Slash

Heatran @ Firium Z
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Team was built on the concept of hyper offense with variety of speed tiers and speed control. Usually, with HO teams there are moments when you just lose to certain things like troom but this team will not do this to you as long as you can maintain a good board position (which isn't too hard with mega-gengar).
Araquanid is the slowest mon on the team. It has min speed to make it wreck under troom. I opted for a mostly special set since this allows it to ignore intimidate and dish out big damage to things like mence with ice beam. Lunge is for OHKOing hoopa.
Hoopa and heatran are the mid-speed mons. They are EV'd to out speed base 130s under tailwind. If the opponent has mostly fast mons, they can also go into troom mode.
Gengar, scarf-lando, skymin are generally used as leads since they have very few bad lead match ups. Usually, the game flow goes something like 1. tailwind with skymin 2. something dies 3. send in hoopa and troom on the last turn of tail wind 4. araquanid + heatran sweep 5. clean with landoge if necessary

Last edited:

nvakna

consistently random
is a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Fun team, also I just noticed something - If you set the Speed IVs back to 31 then you can use 12 Spe EVs instead of 136, freeing up 124 EVs to use anywhere else in the set.
Oh, whoops. forgot the team builder automatically sets trick room users to speed 0. Let me fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)