Other [Doubles UU] girl on fire (peaked #1)

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

cool banner made by and featuring irl girl astroboy

Intro
Welcome to what will be my first rmt in this fantastic tier of Doubles UU. Dubs UU is a really super cool and fun tier and I honestly wish that more people would play it. But, alas, nobody does. If you havent noticed by now, I've been trying to reach out to existing Doubles players and maybe even some non-doubles players and get them to play this tier, too. It's really diverse and there's a lot to be discovered. If you read this rmt and decide that this tier looks kinda cool, you can always stop by the Doubles UU general thread and learn more about it. Anyway, on to the team; it's a cool sun team featuring a core that i originally got from Audiosurfer. Sun is really powerful in this meta especially because there are so few bulky water types to stop fire spam. Most of the fire resists you'll find on teams are fire types themselves.

In Depth & Teambuilding

(sun) (Ninetales) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave / Overheat
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day / Hidden Power Rock
- Protect

Ninetales seems pretty self explanatory. While normally being entirely outclassed by zard-y in Doubles OU, Ninetales really shines as the only sun setter in UU. I say "shines" tentatively, because outside of setting sun, it can't do much else. It's really weak, with only 261 total spatk. It's also rather frail, meaning it can't switch-in for attacks well. That being said, when you switch in Ninetales, it's best to switch it in only when sun isn't up already, since Ninetales is likely to get damaged heavily on the turn that you switch in. As for the moves, Heat Wave doesn't have much power and is mostly just to help spam fire moves along with Houndoom. Overheat can be used instead if you actually like doing damage. Solarbeam for grass coverage against bulky waters like Clawtizer or Blastoise. Running Sunny Day can really ruin Abomasnow switch-ins or counteract Tornadus when it uses Rain Dance. HP Rock can be run instead to damage opposing fire types, albeit not too well.

(dog) (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Houndoom and Ninetales compose the core that this team is based around. Mega Houndoom, under sun, is one of the most powerful threats in the tier. If the opposing team is lacking a fire resist for whatever god awful reason, they just get mauled by Houndoom. Fire stabs under sun boosted by Solar Power hit like a truck. Heat Wave is the main part of the set, which is very easily spammable, even though the damage is reduced from spread. Dark Pulse is another STAB that can hit a lot of mons for supereffective damage that resist Heat Wave. Some examples include Jellicent or Victini. Fire Blast can be used to nuke bulkier threats for stronger damage. I chose to use Fire Blast over Overheat because Houndoom is definitely the type of mon that you want to keep in the match for as long as possible. Sludge Bomb can also be used to do damage on fairies like Aromatisse or Togetic.

astroboy (Lilligant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam / Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Needing a reliable (lol) TR stopper and a killer of bulky waters, I opted for Lilligant. The core of Ninetales + Houndoom is rather frail, and, of course, loses to Trick Room. Trick Room, being incredibly common in UU (a lot more than in OU), every team needs at least one check to it. Lilligant also gets supported from the sun, and becomes somewhat of a budget Venusaur in the process. The EVs allow it to outspeed max speed scarfed Genesect in sun. While max speed scarf Genesect is uncommon and bad, you have to be prepared for the low ladder players that can catch you off guard. Solar Beam or Leaf Storm is Lilligant's main attacking move. It really sucks that it needs those unreliable moves to nab the KOs that it wants, but thats the harsh reality, I guess. Hidden Power Fire is boosted by sun and assures that Lilligant won't be walled by the likes of Abomasnow or Genesect. Sleep Powder stops Trick Room users, and just other threats in general that would be harder to face depending on the situation. The only problem, however, it that Lilligant relies a lot on sun being up to use Solarbeam. While you can also run Giga Drain, Lilligant isn't like Venusaur; it's not bulky enough, nor does it have the typing, to be able to take multiple hits.

robo-hitler (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt / Flamethrower

Genesect, with choice scarf, is a fast attacker that doesn't have to rely on sun to outspeed things. On almost all of my weather teams, I have some sort of u-turn/volt switch pivot that can let the weather setter switch in against opposing-weather leads, especially Abomasnow in this case. Genesect also helps the core by getting rid of fairy types for Houndoom easily. The spread allows for the strongest possible attack on Genesect, totaling up to a strong 372 attack which is also, a lot of the time, boosted by Download. There's also enough speed EVs to outspeed max speed Deoxys-A, which is a very prominent hyperoffense threat in UU. Explosion is a really interesting move; its main purpose on this set is to KO or just do a buttload of damage on leads. mons that think that they can stand their ground against Genesect, like Rotom-H, Volcarona, and Raikou, are all sorely mistaken when they get ohko'd by Explosion. The fourth slot is just special coverage; Thunderbolt can be used if you want to kill bulky waters easier or Flamethrower if you want the sun-boosted fire coverage against other steels.

the panty raid (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Protect

Salamence is the resident Intimidate user and Rotom-H check. Its resistances to fighting, fire, and water help out the core a lot. Salamence is also somewhat of an underrated threat in duu; I haven't seen that many people run it. It's pretty versatile, too. It can viably run a LO set like you see here, a scarf set to act as a budget Landorus-T, or it can see usage as a tailwind setter. Dragon Claw is the main STAB and can hit lots of squishy mons like Hariyama for big damage. I've considered a primarily special set with Draco Meteor but never really put it in practice, although it could be pretty good. Fire Blast is cool for sun-boosted coverage and also assures that Salamence won't be walled by steels, especially Escavalier. With its typing, it can also switch-in to Rotom-H and hit it for big damage with either Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Salamence is also great for just switching in for fire types in general, too and that's part of the reason that I picked it. However, it doesn't fare well against hail teams, which is a big downside for a mon on a sun team.

yaoi hands (Hariyama) @ Life Orb / Sitrus Berry / Flame Orb
Ability: Thick Fat / Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Hariyama is a really good mon in duu thanks to just how versatile it is. It can be a Trick Room attacker, a Trick Room check, Wide Guard support, or a fire/ice switchin. I chose to use Hariyama on this team as a Trick Room check with Guts at first. It's a really strong mon when Guts boosted, but it got worn down really easily and the team was left devoid of Abomasnow switchins if Ninetales was already on the field. Now, I'm running Thick Fat with LO. It still maintains the strong poweress that Hariyama is known for while also being able to switch in to opposing fire types or Blizzard-spam. Fake Out is useful for either preventing TR from going up that turn or stalling out TR turns. Close Combat is Hariyama's strongest and really the only viable option for a STAB move. Since Hariyama is so slow without TR, Bullet Punch assures that it will be able to pick off low health mons. Knock Off basically ensures that Hariyama won't be walled by the likes of Jellicent. The only drawback to the set I'm running, however, is that without a Guts boost, it can't OHKO Porygon-2 with Close Combat, which is somewhat of a let down.

Threatlist

Rotom-H walls a majority of the team, being beaten only by Houndoom's Dark Pulse, Hariyama's STAB, or Salamence's rock coverage.

Mega Altaria also walls a pretty big portion of the team and is only beaten by Houndoom if it has Sludge Bomb or Genesect. However, its rather uncommon.

Rain cores, if played right, can really ruin the team. Kingdra, especially, is pretty much the only water type that Lilligant can't get rid of easily.

Closing Words

im the best

(sun) (Ninetales) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Protect

(dog) (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

astroboy (Lilligant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

robo-hitler (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Explosion
- Thunderbolt

the PANTY RAID (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide
- Protect

yaoi hands (Hariyama) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Last edited:
hey friend! your welcome for the banner :)
despite never having played doubles uu, i like to consider myself a champ teambuilder! heres a couple of suggestions.
as your team seems to struggle with kingdra, id like to suggest changing lilligants set to a specially defensive one

now i know you might be saying "haha what! u jokester xD" but hear me out! kingdra cant hit you for any damage! literally none! leaf guard also stops those pesky gastlys using taunt :)
heres the set:
Lilligant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Mega Drain
- Hidden Power Dragon
- Poison Powder

using this set, you can hit rain for the many damage! protect is a Staples in doubles, mega drain hits water types, hp dragon hits dragalge, and poison powder synergizes well with protect, hitting the opponent for the many!

next, as youre weak to rotom-heatah (c what i did thur XD please love me pokeaim), id suggest removing half of your team to throw the opponent off guard, so theyll be too intimidated to send out a pokemon. meanwhile, youll get the activity win!

hope this helped!

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey xzern! Awesome team you have here. Obviously you know the tier really well so there isn't much I would change with the team, I just have a couple tiny recommendations.

Since Ninetails isn't doing that much damage anyway, I'd recommend a more supportive set - while its movepool isn't too expansive, there are a few usable things: Will-O-Wisp or Roar, especially, come to mind. Obviously a fully supportive set doesn't make sense with the defensive stats it has, but I think there's room to fit one of those on the moveset. Will-O-Wisp breaks sashes (great for HO) and punishes physical attackers, and Roar can phaze out opposing TR setters before they move, aiding you in that matchup. Disable is also theoretically usable because you'll outspeed most of your intended targets and can mess up scarfers, but it seems more niche. Since Ninetails isn't hitting too hard anyway, I'm also recommending adding some bulk with the EV's: 132 HP / 124 SpA / 252 Spe Timid allows you to guarantee the same OHKO's (this spread is enough to kill Mega Aboma without Sun) but add a little bit of padding.

The only other 'mon that could maybe use some edits is Hariyama - First off, to help against Rotom-H, you could think about adding Rock Slide to its moveset, probably over Bullet Punch. You're already moving first a lot of the time and you have priority in Fake Out, so it doesn't seem overly necessary. I do still see the utility in the move though. The only other change I might make is to move 4 Def EVs to SpD to give Genesect an Atk boost. Its only physical attacking moves won't threaten you as badly as some of the special ones, and the majority of Genesects you encounter are special.

Like I said though, great team, and good luck continuing to improve upon it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)