DP Ariados

I can't help notice how .. "limited" the Ariados page is. I've basically added more detail to it, and added a CB set.
---

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/ariados/

[SET]
Name: Baton Pass
Move 1: Spider Web / Agility
Move 2: Baton Pass
Move 3: Sucker Punch
Move 4: Bug Bite / Toxic Spikes / Endure
Item: Focus Sash / Salac Berry
Ability: Insomnia
Nature: Adamant / Impish
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Ariados is the only Pokémon (bar Smeargle) to learn both Spider Web and Baton Pass. However, you may prefer to pass Agility due to Ariados' incredibly low Speed, which would make it easier to pull of a Baton Pass. Sucker Punch hits Ghosts and Psychic's hard, and Bug Bite may pick up extra boosts from Liechi or Salac berries, which would come as a welcome boost. However, Toxic Spikes provides more team support, and can help wear things down. It also works well if you trap a Pokémon that does nothing against Ariados, as you can setup with ease. Using Endure with Salac Berry may help pull off a successful Baton Pass. Poison Jab could be used, but is generally seen as a weaker option. You can use an alternate, more defensive EV spread of 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpD, which lets you survive a Jolly Choice Band Primape's Stone Edge. It also takes advantage of Ariados' x4 Fighting and Grass resists. Ariados can also run an Impish nature with this defensive EV spread.</p>

[SET]
Name: Choice Band
Move 1: Poison Jab
Move 2: Bug Bite
Move 3: Sucker Punch
Move 4: Pursuit / Toxic Spikes
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advantage of Ariados' only decent stat; Attack. Poison Jab provides a decent STAB, and is likely to OHKO many frailer sweepers, such as Swellow and Ninetales (although the latter needs Stealth Rock support). Bug Bite backs it up, while possibly picking up extra boosts. You may get a Swarm boost too. Sucker Punch makes up for Ariados' awful Speed, and will OHKO many weaker Pokémon. The last slot can go for either Pursuit or Toxic Spikes (if you ever find the time to do the latter). Pursuit will do a minimum of 86% to a fleeing Grumpig, and a minimum of 78% to Hypno.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>There aren't many. Agility can work with Life Orb. Shadow Sneak can be used if you are worried about things setting up on Sucker Punch.</p>

[EVs]
<p>Ariados should run 252 Atk and Speed, or use the EV spread 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpD. The latter provides more bulk, but the former is more offensive. Impish with the defensive EV spread provides even more bulk on top of this. 172 EVs in Speed can work with Agility; allowing you to outspeed all base 95 Pokémon after a boost.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Ariados' stats are in general, awful. However, should you pull of a Spider Web pass, Ariados hasn't been useless. His Attack can cause some hurt, provided you aren't taken out first. Insomnia is nice to help take Sleep though, and often helps pull off a Baton Pass.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Most things in general. Steel and Fire types are best. Aggron and other physical walls shrug off the Choice Bander with ease, you just have to be careful of Spider Web. Camerupt and Ninetales can come in moderately easily, and cause pain with their STAB Fire attacks. Aerodactyl can also come in and Taunt Ariados to prevent the Baton Pass, and hit back with its super-effective STAB moves. Damage from Stealth Rock can add up quickly, so try to take advantage of this.</p>

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Last sentence of the opinion section, serious what? That's the only thing I caught quickly. One other nitpick, don't Absol and Umbreon learn Spider Web + Baton Pass also?

Edit: NVM, Absol & Umbreon learn basically the same move Mean Look.

Whoops, that was something I was guna write then didn't :P D/w.

And yeah, its the only one bar Smeargle. (:

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Last sentence of the first set needs rewriting.

I'd also like to see some bulky EVs for the first set. 70/70/60 isn't too awful when combined with some pretty useful resistances like x4 Fight and Grass. I'd expect a bulky spread to have a much higher success rate at BPing than a rather arbitrary 252 Atk 252 Spe spread.

Okay Lee, I edited the last sentence.

Anyway, for the "bulkier" spread, the main problem I see is that most Fighters carry Stone Edge too, but I will take a look at taking say, CB hits better.

EDIT: Heres the Bulkier idea..

Provided you stay Adamant, you can go for 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpD, which would hit 336 HP / 239 Def / 165 SpD, instead of the "standard", which hits 282 HP / 176 Def / 156 SpD. I'm probably thinking I need to split the EVs of the "bulkier" set more, to allow more Special Defense. The 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpD only takes 82.74% - 97.62% from a CB Jolly Primeape's Stone Edge, with Close Combat only mustering 18.45% - 21.73%. Does that look okay to you?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I used the last EV spread you posted a few weeks ago and it worked phenomenally. Perfect counter for the majority of Venusaur. I just used Spider Web / Baton Pass / Sucker Punch / Toxic Spikes with 220 HP / 252 Def / 36 SpD.

I've used a very similar set to the bulky one posted. Spider-Web/Agility/Baton Pass/Nightshade though. First priority was to Baton Pass Agilities around, but Spider-Web was useful if they switched in a wall, or a Pokemon that can't muster good damage against Ariados.

Because I didn't invest in attack EVs at all, and went with Impish nature I used Nightshade. Obviously there are disadvantages, but with Adamant nature and no EVs into attack, Ariados does not pose much of a threat in the way of damage regardless. Most Pokemon switching into Ariados will not care about a non-STAB Sucker Punch, and will already be wary of his Bug type attacks.

And because I used Agility on the set, I invested 176 (I think) to outrun maxed out base 95 Pokemon (after an Agility, of course), and the occasional Adamant Rapidash/Scyther that might like to switch-in.

I could really see Toxic Spikes being useful over either Spider-Web, or Agility. Giving Ariados another reason to exist on a team.

My two cents.

I feel adding Toxic Spikes or Night Shade would create "Slashitis". Ariados probably won't be attacking if it doesn't do over 100dmg anyway :/ Thanks for the 176 Speed EVs though, i'll add that into the EVs section.

EDIT: Its 172 EVs to hit 318 speed (:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Forgot to mention that I used Impish nature as well. I would just put that in set comments next to the EVs. I would also put Toxic Spikes as another option in the last slot on the first set. Bug Buzz seems like a better option over Poison Jab, considering it continues to hit UU Grass types as well as providing better coverage than Poison Jab against Venusaur and Vileplume. So I would probably do something like:
- Spider Web / Agility
- Sucker Punch
- Baton Pass
- Bug Bite / Toxic Spikes / Endure

and place Poison Jab in set comments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)