DP Encore Azumarill

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/azumarill

Just want to put in a Encore set because Azumarill's bulkness and the fact it tends to lure in really predictable stuff that it can encore to set up focus punchs or free switch ins for teammates.

[SET]
name:Encore
move 1:Encore
move 2:Waterfall/Aqua Tail
move 3:Substitute
move 4:Focus Punch
item:Leftovers
ability:Huge Power
nature:Adamant/Careful/Impish
evs: 252HP / 216 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 4Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

People tend to forget That Azumarill has the ablity to Encore and let itself set up nasty stuff like sub punch or free switch ins for its allys and with encore now lasting at least 4 turns this can be at least really annoying to your foe or at best opening up a sweep of your foe this set also works nicely for racking up indirect Spikes/Stealth Rock damage.

Waterfall/Aqua Tail provides stab Substitute gives it chances for encoring stuff like Garchomp Swords Dances or Calm Minds of Celebi who can't OHKO you with grass knot without at least 2 calm minds thanks to grass knot only being 60 BP (180 BP effective on azumarill after STAB and Super effectiveness) but beware of energy ball which will OHKO you after a single Calm Mind.

Focus punch is mostly for taking advantage of the switching this set will cause but feel free to replace it with stuff like ice punch or even body slam.

EVs listed are for the adamant version.

It can with the EVs suggested (free free to take more out of attack and even run no speed) take a Timid Gengar max special attack Thunderbolt and still stand even for the special side durablity, On the physcial side Garchomp needs to swords dance to ensure that Outrage Kills azumarill with the adamant ev spread.

sadly Encore is not legal with belly drum due to the fact that Azumarill can not have a combo of a azurill eggmove which encore is with a Marill only eggmove which is what Belly drum is.

well this is a basic starter more info would be nice.

the stuff i say about the attacks it took and lived are from experince on shoddy with this set it may be crummy looking but but damn it encore azumarill is really deadly since it can just hurt you bad as well has potenally make you useless for at least 4 turns.

Belly Drum could be an option, as Encore options up free turns, not to mention you do have Substitute which could activate Salac.

encore + drum is illegal encore is a Azurill eggmove while Drum is a Marill one it can't have a combo of a Azurill eggmove with a Marill one

Belly Drum actually could be interesting considering you can get almost perfect coverage with only two moves, being Waterfall and Return, although even with a Salac Berry and a +Speed nature, he doesn't really get particularly fast.

I used this set once, although it was a pretty long time ago I believe, and I remember it actually being very effective, but it ran into a few problems. I think the biggest problem is its type coverage. Water/Fighting, while not exactly the worst combination, runs into seriously problems with both Gyarados and Salamence/Dragonite, which are all pokemon you do not want to give free switch-ins.

One thing I toyed around with was using Ice Punch in the place of a Water move, considering Focus Punch hits harder than Waterfall already, but I'm not so sure if it is worth losing out on a reliable STAB move, however, it does score massive hits on both dragons.

Another thing I tried which was interesting was Aqua Jet instead of Waterfall, which can allow you to get off a Focus Punch + an attack against something faster that can KO you which you would not be able to do with Waterfall. Aqua Jet is also just a very useful move to have on a team because it provides good insurance against things like Infernape and just weakened things in general. Again I'm not sure if it is worth dropping a reliable high bp STAB move, but I think it might be something to consider.

Edit: oohh, I had no idea Aqua Jet + Encore was illegal... I guess that was before Shoddy implemented them :/

once again Belly drum and aqua jet are not legal with encore because they are marill eggmoves and Encore is a azurill eggmove and it can not have a combo of azurill eggmoves and Marill eggmoves

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just want to put in a Encore set because Azumarill's bulkness and the fact it tends to lure in really predictable stuff that it can encore to set up focus punchs or free switch ins for teammates.

[SET]
name: Encore
move 1: Encore
move 2: Waterfall / Aqua Tail
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Focus Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Huge Power
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 4Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azumarill is a great user of Encore thanks to his overall bulkyness, and the fact that your opponent probably won't expect it. Encore usually causes switches, which allows you to get a Substitute in, and also rack up Spikes and Stealth Rock damage. From there, its as easy as firing off Focus Punches and STAB water attacks from behind the safety of your Subsititute. Aqua Tail is a great option if you want to do more damage at the cost of some accuracy, which this Azumarill can often afford thanks to Substitute.</p>

<p>The suggested EV spread and Adamant nature make it so Garchomp can't KO you with anything less than a Outrage with a Swords Dance behind it, making this Azumarill a good switch in to SubChomp. Replacing Focus Punch with Ice Punch and changing to an Impish nature capitalizes on this strength. Timid Gengar will also fail to KO Azumarill with Thunderbolt, if it is not using any items to strengthen the attack.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Belly Drum and Encore, and Aqua Jet and Encore are illegal together.</p>
Wrote it out a bit more clearly :)

you may replace focus punch with Ice punch and change the nature to impish if you want to make this a more realistic garchomp counter since outrage does 70% to this with adamant and the evs

I can attest to the effectiveness of Encore on Azumarill, I've used this set practically unchanged since Advance even going as far as the EV spread too. Although I used HP Ghost in Advance it's still working like a dream in D/P with Waterfall instead. Anything remotely defensive equates a setup for Azumarill...

I honestly wouldn't recommended Impish or Careful at all, all it serves to do is waste precious EV's. If you want to counter Garchomp that bad than just run Ice Punch.

I'd actually seriously just replace the Subpuncher in the analysis with this set altogether. Smogon's version of the Subpuncher honestly isn't very effective and suffers from slashitis.

[Set Comments]

<p>People tend to forget That Azumarill has the ablity to Encore and let itself set up nasty stuff like substitute and Focus Punch or free switch-ins for its allys. And thanks to Encore now lasting at least 4 turns this can be really annoying to your foe and can be the opening of the sweep. This also can force your opponent to switch racking up indirect damage in the form of Spikes and Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>Waterfall or Aqua Tail provides a powerful water attack. Substitute gives it the chance to encore pokemon setting up such as a Garchomp who Swords Dances or a Celebi trying to Calm Mind to kill you.</p>

<p>Focus Punch is mostly for taking advantage of the switching this set will cause but feel free to replace it with attacks such as Ice Punch or even Body Slam for paralysis support.</p>

<p>The EVs listed are especially helpful if using an adamant nature. It can, with the EVs suggested, take a Timid Gengar max special attack Thunderbolt. On the physcial side Garchomp can not OHKO Azumarril with an unboosted Outrage.</p>

<p>Sadly Encore is not legal with Belly Drum. These 2 egg moves can not be received together. However this does not hurt the usefullness of this set.</p>

Reworded a lot of it and put it into format. Just replace your set comments with mine and it should be fine.

Edit: =( Maddog beat me to it. Well use either one then.

Use maddogs; it reads better. He made some mistakes, though which I will correct here:

[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azumarill is a great user of Encore thanks to his overall bulkiness, and the fact that your opponent probably won't expect it. Encore usually causes switches, which allows you to get a Substitute in, and also rack up Spikes and Stealth Rock damage. From there, it's as easy as firing off powerful Focus Punches and STABbed Water attacks from the safety of your Substitute. Aqua Tail is a viable option if you want to do more damage at the cost of some accuracy, which this Azumarill can often afford thanks to Substitute.</p>

<p>The suggested EV spread make limit Garchomp's ability to OHKO you with anything less than a Outrage with a Swords Dance behind it, making this Azumarill a decent switch-in to SubChomp. Replacing Focus Punch with Ice Punch and changing to an Impish nature capitalizes on this strength. Timid Gengar will also fail to KO Azumarill with Thunderbolt, if it is not using any items to strengthen the attack.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Encore is illegal with both Belly Drum and Aqua Jet.</p>

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Because I'm not as cool as Great Sage and can't edit your post with my mod powers...
The suggested EV spread make limit Garchomp's ability to OHKO you with anything less than a Outrage with a Swords Dance behind it.
Better written as: The suggested EV spread allows you to survive anything Garchomp throws at you short of Outrage backed by a Swords Dance.

[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 216 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azumarill is a great user of Encore thanks to his overall bulkiness, and the fact that your opponent probably won't expect it. Encore usually causes switches, which allows you to get a Substitute in, and also rack up Spikes and Stealth Rock damage. From there, it's as easy as firing off powerful Focus Punches and STABbed Water attacks from the safety of your Substitute. Aqua Tail is a viable option if you want to do more damage at the cost of some accuracy, which this Azumarill can often afford thanks to Substitute.</p>

<p>The suggested EV spread allows you to survive anything Garchomp throws at you short of Outrage backed by a Swords Dance, making this Azumarill a decent switch-in to SubChomp. Replacing Focus Punch with Ice Punch and changing to an Impish nature capitalizes on this strength. Timid Gengar will also fail to KO Azumarill with Thunderbolt, if it is not using any items to strengthen the attack.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Encore is illegal with both Belly Drum and Aqua Jet.</p>
This set has gotten a positive reaction, so I'll add it to the SCMS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)