DP Politoed Edit and Question

Ok. I was looking up potential UU BellyDrummersand came across Politoed. the one that was posted was here: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/politoed
Now, its a good set and all, but I feel a few moves should be mentioned with the set, or as a new set. These are Earthquake and Ice Punch. Now i know the analysis says that even with BellyDrum, it doesn't have enough power to pull off non-STABed moves. I would like to counter that. Now, the important base stat in a BellyDrummer [Atk] is fairly low, but not as low as Linoone [5 Base points higher.] Now, 75 base attack is not that bad for a Belly Drummer. It is only 9 points lower than Zard's. Other than speed, which can easily be baton passed, it is a good Belly Drummer. Now for the Calcs on its major threats in UU. Now, i'm not putting clacs for OU, because, even with am Agility passed to it, it really isn't fast enough and strong enough to sweep there.

The Politoed I'm using:

Politoed @ Salac Berry
6 Def/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed
Jolly: Water Absorb
-BellyDrum
-Waterfall
-EQ
-Ice Punch

Earthquake Calcs:

Politoed [BellyDrum, Max Atk] against Aggron [Sub-Punch set, 104 Hp] deals: 224.15% - 263.47%

Politoed [BellyDrum, Max Atk] against Aggron [Metal Burst, 252 Hp/6 Def] deals: 209.88% - 247.09%

Same Politoed against Ampharos [Standerd, 40 Hp] deals: 232.02% - 272.81%

Politoed against Electrode [Boom! set, no Hp] deals: 310.73% - 365.90%

Politoed against Lanturn [40 Hp/240 SpDef] deals: 233.67% - 275.06%

Politoed against Luxray [Band, 6 Hp, Intimidate] deals: 122.19% - 144.04%

Politoed against Luxray [Mix, 204 Hp, Intimidate] deals: 104.83% - 123.58%

Politoed against Raichu [All sets, 6 Hp] deals: 373.28% - 439.31%

Comments: Everything is OHKOed. Metal-Burst Aggron can do soemthing, if holding Focus Sash. Electrode is faster, but we will see it against Politoed later on.

Ice Punch Calcs:

Politoed against Meganium [Support set, 216 Hp/148 Def] deals: 110.70% - 130.42%

Comments: I could not find any other possible Grass threats. All other Grass threats are very easily OHKOed, because most of them need Sun to set-up.

Politoed on the recieving side:

Aggron [252 Atk] using Metal Burst after getting hit and at 1 HP deals: 1.56% - 1.87%

Electrode [44 SpDef] using T-Bolt deals: 74.14% - 87.23%

Raichu [Un-Boosted, 252 SpAtk] using T-bolt deals: 76.32% - 89.72%
-Note: Boosted OHKOs.

Meganium [148 SpAtk] using Energy Ball deals: 55.14% - 64.80%

Comments: I know that I did Metal Burst wrong. Can someone please give me the proper clacs for it? So, even things that are faster still can't OHKO Politoed. Raichu can, but it needs one turn to set-up, but in that turn it is OHKOed.

Ok. So, I just wanted to post that. If this is in the wrong place, please move it. If there are any mistakes tell me. I used Metalkid's D/P calculator for the DMG %s.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This set is the same as the standard, except you sacrficed Sub in order to obtain 3 attacks rather than the standard Waterfall/Return coverage. This is a flawed compromise, as Politoed won't be getting a successful Belly Drum without the use of Sub or Hypnosis. As a speed recipient, he won't always be facing favourable opponents, so Hypnosis is a neccesity.

Two scenarios:

Ninjask used Baton Pass
Pokemon x uses Attack x
Politoed takes x% damage
Politoed uses Hypnosis.
Pokemon x fell asleep
Pokemon x switches out
Politoed used Belly Drum

Or...

Ninjask used Baton Pass
Pokemon x uses Attack x
Politoed takes x% damage
Politoed used Belly Drum
Pokemon x uses Attack x
Politoed fainted

So we need to take out an attack in favour of Hypnosis. Whichever attack we remove, we'll be left with either inferior coverage or no STAB. The best two move combo available would be Return/Waterfall, as the standard dictates. If any change is to be made, Hypnosis should be given as an option alongside Substitute, with a note about using it if he's a speed recipient.

This set is the same as the standard, except you sacrficed Sub in order to obtain 3 attacks rather than the standard Waterfall/Return coverage. This is a flawed compromise, as Politoed won't be getting a successful Belly Drum without the use of Sub or Hypnosis. As a speed recipient, he won't always be facing favourable opponents, so Hypnosis is a neccesity.

Two scenarios:

Ninjask used Baton Pass
Pokemon x uses Attack x
Politoed takes x% damage
Politoed uses Hypnosis.
Pokemon x fell asleep
Pokemon x switches out
Politoed used Belly Drum

Or...

Ninjask used Baton Pass
Pokemon x uses Attack x
Politoed takes x% damage
Politoed used Belly Drum
Pokemon x uses Attack x
Politoed fainted

So we need to take out an attack in favour of Hypnosis. Whichever attack we remove, we'll be left with either inferior coverage or no STAB. The best two move combo available would be Return/Waterfall, as the standard dictates. If any change is to be made, Hypnosis should be given as an option alongside Substitute, with a note about using it if he's a speed recipient.
Um, one minor detail. You can't Baton Pass and then use an attack. So I would go un-harmed. and, like I say to everyone who says BellyDrum is easily countered: You can't have a BellyDrummer without Baton Pass Support. Be it Speed + Sub or Speed [On occasion from Berry] + Sub + Hypnosis. there are some occasions when you can set-up without that support, but those are rare.

Ok. Few edits. The recieving side is always OHKOed [Meaning Politoed] because I forgot about the 50% HP drop. Lol. i will edit that in.

What Lee was inferring was that Pokemon X would attack and deal damage to Politoed as it was switching-in. So Before you can use Belly Drum Politoed will be at >100% Health. The opponent is then left with 2 options.

The opponent could switch something in faster than you and finish you off, remember you are at >50%, a quick-attacker could do the job.

The opponent's current pokemon will finish you off, irregardless of the fact that you are faster as you are using your Turn to Belly Drum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)