DP Registeel

I haven't really made anything in the last month, due to a vacation and such. So now that Light Inc is back, we present to you the invention that will make your matches have 100% more facepalms, Poker Face.

[SET]
name: Poker Face
move 1: Swagger
move 2: Thunder Wave / Zap Cannon
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Substitute
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish / Careful
evs: 252 HP/ 128 Def /128 Sp. Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> Registeel is a Pokemon that could easily have been passed over during the course of even the most dutiful team buildings. It has weak offenses and mediocre typing in addition to no healing options. As such, it made a poor wall. But what if you were to use a move seldom used in the metagame, Swagger? Swagger buffs the enemy's attack by 2 stages, and the confuses them. This can make even the strongest Pokemon falter as they hit their own defensive stat with their beefed up attack one. Next up is the Paralysis move of your choice, used to both cut speed and fully paralyze them. Thunder Wave gives you a guaranteed paralysis on non grounds, whilst Zap Cannon gives you a way to deal with Gyarados and Skarmory, all while causing some special damage to things that resist Iron Head. Iron Head is used not only for reliable STAB and damage, but also for the fact that it causes flinches. Overall, the chance of them successfully attacking you is amazingly low. But even if they DO attack you, it does no particular harm, as you'll be hiding safely behind the cushion of your substitute.</p>

<p>The EVs provided suffice for perfectly equal defenses, as Registeel has perfectly equal stats, after all. Choose the nature you'd like, and get to it. While nothing flat out beats you, some things (Such as Raikou) can come in and set up on you if you mispredict. Regardless, there are many ways to deal with the few outside threats, and this Registeel will be a thorn in any team's side, providing shuffling abilities, paralysis, and flinching/confusion damage.</p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uh.... Swagger is in general horrible. What happens when Heracross switches in to it? You just gave it a free Swords Dance, that's what... I don't see how it could work. Some more explanation would be nice, as i'm confused as to how this is at all useful. tbh it really seems like a gimmick. Then again, all of your other sets kick ass, so I think I must be missing something.

Uh.... Swagger is in general horrible. What happens when Heracross switches in to it? You just gave it a free Swords Dance, that's what... I don't see how it could work. Some more explanation would be nice, as i'm confused as to how this is at all useful. tbh it really seems like a gimmick. Then again, all of your other sets kick ass, so I think I must be missing something.
Ah, I probably should make it clear. I've got to not post sets at night, eh?

In any case, let's assume the Heracross switches in on you. If you Substituted, you Twave. If you Twaved, you Swagger. If you Swaggered, you Substitute, risking the 50% chance. If you Iron Headed, go to something that resists Fighting.

Essentially, it's a Rock Paper Scissors match, that's ALL in your favor. I will try to put a more detailed explanation up later if more people are confused, though.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I obviously didn't do extensive testing since you just posted it but after a few matches it was decent, but generally speaking not something I dedicate a team slot too. It's quite possible I'm using it wrong but could you please post some battle logs of you using this set so people like myself and Chris is me can see how this set works in practice. I'm sure it works because it's a Light set but I'm just not seeing it to be honest.

Edit: What the hell was just posted above me ...

I obviously didn't do extensive testing since you just posted it but after a few matches it was decent, but generally speaking not something I dedicate a team slot too. It's quite possible I'm using it wrong but could you please post some battle logs of you using this set so people like myself and Chris is me can see how this set works in practice. I'm sure it works because it's a Light set but I'm just not seeing it to be honest.

Edit: What the hell was just posted above me ...
Ah, sure thing. I'll save the next battle that I do with it. I was afraid that the practical value of this wouldn't be entirely visible at first, so I wrote up a small explanation:

Essentially, you use the incredible resistances of the steel type to force a switch. This switch should be backed up by Spikes and Stealth Rock, already deteriorating the incomer. The first thing you should do is Substitute, to scout their switch in and be able to act accordingly. Using the powers of Twave and Swagger, plus Iron Head you continuously keep them going in and out, racking up damage and killing them slowly.

Hope it helped.

I had used a similar set. But it was paired up with dynamic punch machamp. (Zap cannon became t-wave + small damage), and It did fairly good. It was a double team in case you didn't already know. People seriously underestimate registeels ability to take hits.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No one's denying that 80 / 150 / 150 defenses are good. The issue raised is the +2 attack boost... I can see things going very wrong if you get unlucky, especially if it gets a Motor Drive AND a Swagger... though that's horribly unlikely.

Maybe it's just me, but this set really feels like a gimmick...

Although I personally believe Regigigas pulls off a varaiation of this set better with Confuse Ray / Thunder Wave / Stomp / Knock Off it doesn't mean this set is bad. Registeel definitely has some strong points in that incredible Defense score.

Just to clarify, this is basically a tankish annoyer right? You set up Substitute and then abuse Paralysis (Thunder Wave), Flinch (Iron Head), and Confusion (Swagger) until you finally take down opponents. I think it definitely has potential as a set if the goal is heavy annoyance.

<p> Registeel is a Pokemon that could easily have been passed over during the course of even the most dutiful team buildings. It has weak offenses and mediocre typing in addition to no healing options. As such, it made a poor wall. But what if you were to use a move seldom used in the metagame, Swagger? Swagger buffs the enemy's attack by 2 stages, and then confuses them. This can make even the strongest Pokemon falter as they hit their own defensive stat with their beefed up attack score. Next up is the paralysis move of your choice, used to both cut speed and create an opportunity for full paralysis. Thunder Wave gives you a guaranteed paralysis on non grounds, whilst Zap Cannon gives you a way to deal with Gyarados and Skarmory, all while causing some special damage to things that resist Iron Head. Iron Head is used not only for reliable STAB and damage, but also for the fact that it causes flinches. Overall, the chance of them successfully attacking you is amazingly low. But even if they do attack you, it does no particular harm, as you'll be hiding safely behind the cushion of your Substitute.</p>
Status is never capitalized unless it starts a sentence. Substitute is capitalized. Never capitalized for emphasis, the analysis should be as formal as possible. "DO" is definitely a don't (;D). Fixed small changes and reworded a sentence (although I don't think it sounds as good as it could, hopefully a more experience writer can fix it).

<p>The EVs provided, suffice for perfectly equal defenses, as Registeel has perfectly equal stats, after all. Choose the nature you'd like, and get to it. While nothing flat out beats you, some things (Such as Raikou) can come in and set up on you if you mispredict. Regardless, there are many ways to deal with the few outside threats, and this Registeel will be a thorn in any team's side, providing shuffling abilities, paralysis, and flinching/confusion damage.</p>
Fixed a comma error at the beginning, nothing major.

<p>The EVs provided suffice for perfectly equal defenses, as Registeel has perfectly equal stats, after all.
This part is misleading, as with a given nature you are boosting one but not the other, meaning with equal EVs one is 10% higher.

For genuinely equal defenses (or as close as you can get), I'd suggest either 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Sp Def with a Defense boosting nature or 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Sp Def with a Special Defense boosting nature.

I'd also suggest the option of Relaxed or Sassy if you are using both Iron Head and Zap Cannon. This gives Registeel a chance to 2HKO Skarmory, and more power against Gyarados and co is always useful. The only Poke that would now still outrun after paralysis is Deoxys-S, but 24 Speed EVs would resolve that problem if needed.

No one's denying that 80 / 150 / 150 defenses are good. The issue raised is the +2 attack boost... I can see things going very wrong if you get unlucky, especially if it gets a Motor Drive AND a Swagger... though that's horribly unlikely.

Maybe it's just me, but this set really feels like a gimmick...
In case you are referring to me, I said people underestimate him, as in people don't notice it or think his typeing/movepool make him inferior to other steels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)