DP Research Thread #1 ("Old")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tested out the Enigma Berry
It recovers 25% HP on a Super Effective Hit. You must survive the hit.

It does not work when a substitute gets hit. It does not work on Stealth Rock either.

Anything else I should test this on?

I'm interested in the effects of the damage returning berries (Jaboca and Rowap), do they work like mini-counter/mirror coats or is their damage a set %?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

It does not work when a substitute gets hit. It does not work on Stealth Rock either.

Cool stuff. Is it an immediate heal or is it at the end of the turn?

In a Wireless battle, English version takes precedence. If you use Pursuit with a CB, you're stuck with Pursuit even if your opponent switches. I can't be certain this applies to Wi-Fi, but I can't see why it wouldn't.
I'm curious: when you were testing this, which language version was the one using Pursuit?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I'm curious: when you were testing this, which language version was the one using Pursuit?

Both. I tried it from the English game and the Japanese game.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I hope I don't look like an idiot for asking this, but this wasn't answered in the first page: Does the Big Root increase the HP drained away by Leech Seed?
Yes and no. The holder of Big Root recovers 30% more of its HP per turn if it Leech Seeds the foe. However, the foe gets drained the same amount of damage.

For example, against a Pokemon with max HP of 260, the opponent gets drained 16 HP (260 / 16 = 16 rounded down) per turn, but you heal 20 HP per turn (16 x 1.3 = 20 rounded down).

How does Technician work with Pursuit?

Will a Pursuit get the bonus if used on a switch?
I don't have the answer for that exactly, but it seems like Revenge when "activated" (takes damage first) doesn't deal the attractive looking 180 base damage after technician, but rather double the base 60, which really sucks. My ~30 Technitop was doing something like 60% damage with Revenge w/o activation to the Socialite outside of the Pokemon Mansion's lvl 40 Roselia, yet I was dissapointed when I didn't deal a OHKO when it Petaldanced me first the next time I VS. Seekered her.

I'd imagine the same conditions would apply to Pursuit, but I could be wrong. I'm not familiar with how a NPC Trainer's pokemon are "spawned" and whether or not there's a random factor as far as IVs or Natures are concerned, that could have possibly affected my "test".

Yes and no. The holder of Big Root recovers 30% more of its HP per turn if it Leech Seeds the foe. However, the foe gets drained the same amount of damage.

For example, against a Pokemon with max HP of 260, the opponent gets drained 16 HP (260 / 16 = 16 rounded down) per turn, but you heal 20 HP per turn (16 x 1.3 = 20 rounded down).
What if your Pokemon with Big Root used Leech Seed and then switched out? Would the HP recovery still be the same on the Pokemon that you switched to?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What if your Pokemon with Big Root used Leech Seed and then switched out? Would the HP recovery still be the same on the Pokemon that you switched to?
I suppose that if the Pokemon that you switched to is also holding Big Root, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Okay, I've searched the thread and haven't found anything regarding this, so:

In case anyone was wondering (besides me), I've conducted a little test concerning Synchronize: even if the bearer is Toxic'd, Synchronize will still pass over normal poison (which is kinda of a letdown IMO - not that I hoped passing over Toxic consistently would be something useful in the long run, but it's more like I think it's a bug that has been skipped =P).
That's been the case since Ru/Sa so I'm assuming they simply left it as is, whether that counts as "bugged" or not...

Not really related to the Enigma berry, but this reminded me of my question on page two:

Could someone test the Enigma, Custap, Jaboca, and Rowap berries?

What I assume to be their English in-game text can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.serebii.net/berrydex-dp/

I don't know if they've already been tested, but they seem very interesting...
Maybe if you have the Enigma, you have the other three?

The Custap looks like it lets you go first (what priority?) the next turn if you're brought down to 25%. The Jaboca and Rowap seem to give recoil (how much?) to an opponents physical or special attack respectively.

Also I'm now questioning the effect of the Micle Berry. It raises the accuracy of a move "just once"? Either it really sucks or it makes the next attack no-miss (which still isn't that good but whatever).

It seems they screwed up Payback and Assurance.

Ingame descriptions:
Payback: If the user can use this attack after the foe attacks, its power is doubled.
Assurance: If the foe has already taken some damage in the same turn, this attack’s power is doubled.

This is wrong. In fact it's backwards.

Payback is the attack formerly known as "Repeat".
Assurance is the attack formerly known as "Quick Revenge".

Payback/Repeat's power doubles if the target has taken damage this turn. The exact details on what counts as damage is not known. I'm not 100% certain this description is accurate.

Assurance/Quick Revenge's power doubles if it goes after an opponent has attacked. The exact details on what qualifies as an attack is not known.
Payback seems to work as advertised. I was using my Bronzong against a Gastrodon.

Round 1:
Bronzong used Payback! (normal damage)
Gastrodon used Body Slam!
It's not very effective!
Bronzong is paralyzed!

Round 2:
Gastrodon used Hidden Power!
Bronzong used Payback! (twice as much damage)

Round 3:
Gastrodon used Rain Dance!
It started to rain!
Bronzong used Payback! (twice as much damage)

So as far as I can tell, Payback does double damage as long as the target has already moved that turn. It doesn't matter whether the target attacks the user of Payback or not.

However, a doubt still lingered in my mind since Rain Dance could be viewed as targeting all Pokemon on the field. So, I tried it against a Floatzel with Agility. Payback did the same amount of damage whether the Floatzel attacked my Bronzong or used Agility.

I plan to test Assurance later today, as soon as I can Pal Park up my Poochyena.

EDIT: On a side note, it appears likely that a Pokemon's Ability when Pal Parked and evolved is chosen at the time of transfer, not at the time of Pal Park catching.

How does Rivalry work? Does your att go +1 when you 'see' a Pokemon of the same gender? Like a switch in, or a Pokemon replacing a fainted Pokemon? And does this apply to switching/fainting from your side or the opponent? And does it happen every time your opponent switches/faints, or only when you first come in like Intimidate? And I heard att goes -1 if the Pokemon is of the other gender, is that true?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@Footnote: nice research! But what if Payback is used against a Pokemon that went first but was fully paralyzed that turn?

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately, right now I don't seem have the resources to easily test whether a fully paralyzed opponent gets hit for double damage by Payback. However, I did test an opponent that smacked itself during confusion and under these circumstances, Payback still does double damage. If I get a chance later, I'll test paralysis, but I'm willing to wager that Payback counts full paralysis as an action.

I've started testing Assurance. This too seems to work correctly. I used to think that Assurance was only useful in 2v2, but I have confirmed that an opponent that has taken damage from confusion takes double damage from Assurance if it is used later that same round.

Some other things that I'd like to test:
Does Spikes/Stealth Rock damage cause Assurance to do double damage?
Does recoil?
Does Life Orb recoil?

I'll probably have to set up a battle with someone to test this stuff, so it might be a little while. I'll post my results later.

How does Rivalry work? Does your att go +1 when you 'see' a Pokemon of the same gender? Like a switch in, or a Pokemon replacing a fainted Pokemon? And does this apply to switching/fainting from your side or the opponent? And does it happen every time your opponent switches/faints, or only when you first come in like Intimidate? And I heard att goes -1 if the Pokemon is of the other gender, is that true?
The way I've seen it work is that whenever your Pokemon is in battle with another of the same gender, your attack gets raised by 1.5 times. It's an "invisible" modifier, like Choice Band, so something with Rivalry could still use, say, Howl to raise it's attack further. If you face an opponent of the opposite gender, your attack just goes to normal, not down below normal. This isn't like intimidate, either, in that Rivalry will keep working throughout the battle, not just at once.

Awesome, thank you very much. I know this likely isn't the place for this sort of question, but that would mean that on the whole, leftovers are more efficient, correct?

I know Bibarel's ability Simple doubles stat changs (like Sword Dance is +4 instead of +2) Does simple also work like Serene Grace? And how does it "increase effects from hold items"?

Awesome, thank you very much. I know this likely isn't the place for this sort of question, but that would mean that on the whole, leftovers are more efficient, correct?
Exactly; unless your opponent's HP is much, much higher than yours, i.e. Shroomish vs. Blissey, then leftovers will always still be better in the long run.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tested out the Rowap and the Jaboca Berry.

Deals 12.5% to the opponent on the physical/special hit. I would assume that you'd have to survive the hit also since it activates after the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)