DP Wormadam

All the Wormadam sets are being rewritten between Havak and I, here is the first. (They won't all be posted at the same time). They are all quite limited, and this one (Grass Wormadam) could be a lot more detailed.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/wormadam

[SET]
Name: Choice Specs
Move 1: Leaf Storm
Move 2: Psychic
Move 3: Energy Ball
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Wormadam’s best option is Choice Specs, though the set is difficult to use. Wormadam’s low Speed makes it hard to switch-in, but a STAB Leaf Storm can do some damage. Psychic is here mainly to do some damage to Venomoth and Venusaur, who resist Leaf Storm. Energy Ball provides a more consistent STAB move, while Hidden Power Ice is used for Altaria and other Grass-types, who can counter this set otherwise.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Grass Wormadam cannot really do much more. Item wise, Life Orb can be used, but even the small drop in power makes Wormadam totally pathetic. Shadow Ball somehow found its way into Wormadam’s movepool, and can be used to hit Grumpig and Hypno more consistently. Hidden Power Fire or Ground can be used over Ice, Ground hitting Probopass, Fire, and other Rock-types hard, who may want to hit you for Super-Effective damage. Metal Sound can be helpful, but Wormadam's low Speed often makes it inferior to many other moves. Toxic can be used to break walls such as Hypno over a long period of time, and Stealth Rock can be used for team support.</p>

[EVs]
<p>You should usually max HP and Special Attack, instead of Wormadam’s pitiful Speed. However, if you desperately want to outspeed Probopass, use 204 EVs with a neutral nature, which will outspeed the standard. You may want to invest into Wormadam’s Special Defense, which can be useful with resists to Water, Electric and Grass-type attacks.</p>

[Opinion]
<p>Probably Wormadam’s best form; she can be of some use and can deal some damage, though most of the time she won’t, and isn’t worth using. However, Choice Specs utilizes her decent Special Attack, yet the lack of a good movepool lets it down. It’s a shame Wormadam doesn’t have many support options, as she could have possibly used them well.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Ironically, Steel Wormadam works pretty well, as do Meganium and Vileplume. It depends mostly on the Hidden Power, if she carries Hidden Power Ice, many Fire and Steel-types will wall it, whereas if she uses Hidden Power Ground, Flying-types, especially Altaria, will wall it. Xatu is also a good counter to the Choice Specs set without Hidden Power Ice, resisting all the moves (and can also U-turn out on the switch, or use Wish). A defensive Tropius can also come in on anything bar Hidden Power Ice relatively well, and Roost off the damage. Seeing as most Wormadam are Choice Specs, predict right and you should be fine. Wormadam is often seen as set-up fodder, so use this to your advantage. Stealth Rock will put a decent dent in Wormadam, who with Choice Specs, will probably be switching in and out a lot.</p>

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not so keen on your Other Options section. You say using Shadow Ball to hit Hypno and Grumpig harder, but then contradict yourself by saying Leaf Storm hits harder anyway. I know we’re kind of digging for usable moves here, but there are a few that could possibly get a mention just for the sake of information purposes; so a player has an idea of other decent moves Wormadam has without having to look.

Metal Sound, Toxic and Stealth Rock might all be worthy of note

<p>Ironically, Steel Wormadam works pretty well, as do Meganium and Vileplume. It depends mostly on the Hidden Power, if it carries Hidden Power Ice, many Fire and Steel-types will wall it, whereas if it uses Hidden Power Ground, Flying-types, especially Altaria, will wall it. Xatu is also a good counter to the Choice Specs set without Hidden Power Ice, resisting all the moves (and can also U-turn out on the switch, or use Wish). A defensive Tropius can also come in on anything bar Hidden Power Ice relatively well, and Roost off the damage. Seeing as most Wormadam are Choice Specs, predict right and you should be fine. Wormadam is often seen as set-up fodder, so use this to your advantage. Stealth Rock will put a decent dent in Wormadam, who with Choice Specs, will probably be switching in and out a lot.</p>

<p>Probably Wormadam’s best form; it can be of some use and can deal some damage, though most of the time it won’t, (you repeated the same phrase, and it sounded awkward; thus, it was omitted) and isn’t worth using. However, Choice Specs utilizes its decent Special Attack, yet the lack of a good movepool lets it down. It’s a shame Wormadam doesn’t have many support options, as it could have possibly used them well.</p>

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This form of Wormadam is just called "Wormadam" so that isn't really needed. The other two "Wormadam-G" and "Wormadam-S" would, though.

Havak

Also, I'd probably go ahead and mention Hidden Power Fire in other options.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<p>Wormadam’s best option is Choice Specs, though the set is difficult to use. Wormadam’s low Speed makes it hard to switch (no hyphen) in, but a STAB Leaf Storm can do some damage (less awkward). Psychic is here mainly to do some damage to Venomoth and Venusaur, who (removed, you don't "enter to resist" something, you enter to take a resisted attack) resist Leaf Storm. Energy Ball provides a more consistent STAB move. (run-on sentence) Hidden Power Ice can be used for Altaria and other Grass-types, or Hidden Power Ground can be used to more effectively hit Aggron and Probopass, as well as hurting Rock and Fire-types who can hit Wormadam for Super-Effective damage.</p>
Honestly, HP Ground should be for Steelix, not Aggron or Probopass, as they don't resist Leaf Storm (Aggron is 2HKOed).

Standard Steelix is easily 2HKO'd by Choice Specs Leaf Storm; 89.83% - 105.93%.

I think changing it to "or Hidden Power Ground can be used to effectively hit Probopass for high damaage, as well as hurting Rock and Fire-types who can hit Wormadam for Super-Effective damage." would be fine, though feel free to say if you disagree.

Edited in every other change though.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol chris, Steelix doesn't resist Leaf Storm either and probably wouldn't even come in on a Grass-type.

Since Altaria rapes this set, I would say that HP Ice needs to be the main option there. HP Fire is good on any Grasser, while HP Ground would really only be used for Ninetales switch-ins =\ HP Ground isn't really necessary on the set, but feel free to give it a mention in Other Options.

Also...could Life Orb work as an item on this set? What about Choice Scarf? Leftovers? I've never really used Wormadam, I'm just trying to suggest things to spice this up a bit. Only one option seems kind of depressing, no matter how worthless the pokemon actually is.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Choice Scarf is garbage on something with 36 base speed. The only viable option is Life Orb, but I've used it (I for fun sometimes use "randomize team" and change the move set / EVs so I got Wormadam once) and Life Orb is decently viable.

Havak

36 base Speed is just too low to warrant a Choice Scarf, so that one's out. Life Orb is a possiblity, but you really need all the power you can get and you're unlikely to ever get the chance to switch attacks with Wormadam. So you'll be taking recoil damage, probably along with Stealth Rock damage, just to have the luxury of switching attacks when you'll never get the chance to. Your only chance is to predict a switch-in and hope you can do enough damage.

Leftovers is a possiblity, though I honestly think Wormadam can only run Choice Specs to be at all effective. Support sets could work, but Wormadam-S does that better, which I'm working on now.

Added Life Orb, HP Fire/Ground to Other Options. I won't bother listing Choice Scarf, it really won't accomplish much.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
You should be referring to all of the Wormadam forms as female in your Wormadam peer edits. It makes a lot of sense as its only gender is female after all. I'd change the "it"s that refer to Wormadam to "she"s.

Havak

I reckon this is pretty much done now, you might as well go ahead and upload this today. Unless you want me to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)