DPP Gardevoir (Dual Screen)

TAY, I've added in Taunt and mentioned a faster spread, but the writeup is looking pretty massive now. I guess being thorough is a good thing, and it's Gardevoir's own fault for having so many useable options, but is it OK to have such a big writeup for this kind of secondary set?
Most people won't read the whole thing because they're too lazy to go through it. I don't think having such a huge write up for this is that necessary... It's not complicated using it. =\

Most people won't read the whole thing because they're too lazy to go through it. I don't think having such a huge write up for this is that necessary... It's not complicated using it. =\
It might be a good idea to suggest what he can get rid of then.

It might be a good idea to suggest what he can get rid of then.
And if I don't know what to get rid of?

You could just cut down on the excess information that's not really important in most of the paragraphs. Just keep it simple and straight to the point.

I personally think Will-o-Wisp would be more useful that Psychic, given that Gardevoir is unbelievably frail physically, even with a Reflect up: for instance, CB Adamant TTar's Crunch does 92.65% - 108.82% with Reflect up and that EV spread, and CB Scizor's U-Turn still has a ~40% chance to OHKO if you switched into Stealth Rock(though it's true that it will never OHKO if you didn't switch into SR); however, it does leave you open to getting Taunted. Still, it's a good set, and Trace does give it a few advantages over Uxie and Cresselia.

I think a larger write up just makes it better, not that my opinon matters. Some things you could cut down:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/gardevoir

[SET]
name: Dual Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Healing Wish / Memento
move 4: Psychic / Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
item: Light Clay
ability: Trace
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Like many of its fellow Psychic-types, Gardevoir has access to both Reflect and Light Screen. What sets Gardevoir apart as a dual screener, however,is its Trace ability and respectable Special Defense(delete this since Uxie, Cressalia, and Bronzong have more, and Jirachi isn't far behind so this doesn't set it apart), which gives(how did nobody catch that :p) it many opportunities to switch into battle, and its wide supporting movepool beyond the two screens.</p>

<p>In addition to Reflect and Light Screen(this isn't really required, since we already know you mean in addition since there is no slash next to either of these moves), Gardevoir can use a myriad of other useful supporting moves. Healing Wish is extremely helpful in the later stages of the battle, when sweepers have taken hits and are generally quite low on health. It is the ultimate sweeper rejuvenator, healing all HP and status at the cost of Gardevoir fainting itself. This also has the advantage of not wasting any additional turns of the screens, and gets a sweeper in straightaway to make the most of them. Memento works similarly, but instead of healing another team member, it sharply reduces both of the opponent's attacking stats. This is perfect in giving a set up sweeper a free turn, as your opponent will be loathe to keep in their weakened Pokemon. Memento is not constricted to use later on in the game, but it doesn't have as significant an effect as Healing Wish does(this sentence isn't required, and I don't think it would be missed if deleted). On the other hand(delete, doesn't flow right to me), Destiny Bond is an option if you are looking for Gardevoir to contribute more to the team's offense, as it can be used to take an opposing Pokemon down with it.</p>

<p>Even without any investment, Gardevoir sits on a respectable 286 Special Attack. This makes a(no articles here) STAB Psychic a good choice as the last move, being able to deal with weakened Pokemon(I don't think Infernape needs to be weakened so you can get rid of this too) such as Infernape if need be. Will-O-Wisp is useful as an additional buffer against physical attackers, and helps to make up for Gardevoir's weak Defense. It is also useful as it is a permanent solution to the likes of Scizor and Tyranitar, meaning they fail to be a threat to both Gardevoir and the rest of the team once burnt(this isn't necessary, nor always true, especially against incredibly weakened or low HP Pokemon). Alternatively, Wish grants Gardevoir a way of keeping its own health high to set up screens repeatedly, and can be passed on to other Pokemon on your team to heal them without having to sacrifice Gardevoir.</p>

<p>Gardevoir has a massive movepool and a lot of different options can go into this last slot. Taunt is another really helpful move to have on a dual screener - it stops threatening sweepers from abusing Gardevoir's lack of offense and setting up on it, as well as preventing other Pokemon with weak offenses from accomplishing anything significant against Gardevoir. Used in conjunction with Destiny Bond, it can force opponents to attack, allowing you to take down an opposing Pokemon with a lot more reliability. If you plan on going direct to a sweeper after setting up the screens, Taunt will also prevent crippling status moves from being used against them. As far as Gardevoir's own status options go, Hypnosis can be used to temporarily remove any opposing Pokemon from the battle if the accuracy doesn't let you down, and Thunder Wave slows the opponent down so Gardevoir can screen up before they attack, as well as potentially giving Gardevoir free turns to go about its job.</p>

<p>Trace provides plenty of opportunities to switch in in OU, since many Pokemon can have their abilities used against themselves. Jolteon, Heatran, Vaporeon, and Electivire will not be able to hit Gardevoir with their primary STAB attacks, meaning they will more than likely switch. By Tracing Natural Cure, Gardevoir fears very little from setting up on Celebi or Blissey. If Scarf Magnezone is locked into an attacking move(even if it is not Choice Scarf, it will still be locked in right?), Gardevoir can come in and trap it with a Traced Magnet Pull, forcing the opponent to helplessly stay in as you go about giving your team all the support it needs. Since the majority of these Pokemon are special based, and Gardevoir itself leans more towards sponging these special attacks(not necessry, and it's more of a 'leap' than a lean :p), the EVs of the set are designed to let it do so. The Speed EVs allow Gardevoir to outspeed Adamant Scizor, allowing it to set up a Reflect before Scizor hits, easing the damage against the metal bug's Choice Band U-turn so that it no longer OHKOes. Alternatively, a faster spread with 200 Speed EVs allows Gardevoir to get the jump on Jolly Tyranitar and many of the Pokemon that EV to specifically outspeed it, and being able to go first against common Pokemon such as Celebi is very helpful when running Taunt. To get this faster Speed, EVs should be taken from Special Defense, as Gardevoir's low HP needs all the bolstering it can get. For the item choice, Light Clay is definitely the way to go, as it greatly extends the duration of the screens.</p>
Looks great, I love your write ups, didn't I mention? Hopefully I helped trim it up. I now see a big reason to use this over Cressalia and Uxie, since they lack Will-O-Wisp and you've displayed that feature very well.

Taunt should probably be an option (or at least in set comments) for any dual screener that has it. I've used this in UU and Taunt was a major help to stop things from setting up (off the top of my head, in OU it would save you from Gyarados, Agility Metagross, Breloom, Skarm, etc). Additionally, it lets you set up on status users and phazers really easily without having to use Taunt / Sub on whatever you're switching in.

Honestly I would also run more speed, just to get screens down in front of more stuff...but I'm obsessed with maxing speed on stuff so maybe that's just me. Using more speed should definitely be mentioned in set comments though (especially with Taunt).
In OU the set looks like it's meant to take advantage of Trace to force switches and set up screens to be in a favorable position...So I dont know how important speed comes in there.

And in UU, Trace wouldnt give it many switch in's, wouldnt it be difficult to use in that setting? I guess it's defenses arent that bad for a UU screener...

TAY, I've added in Taunt and mentioned a faster spread, but the writeup is looking pretty massive now. I guess being thorough is a good thing, and it's Gardevoir's own fault for having so many useable options, but is it OK to have such a big writeup for this kind of secondary set?
Dont forget you also may need to add the UU stuff in soon, making it even bigger, but I dont know if there is anything you could leave out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)