DPP Registeel (OU)

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Maaaaan I forget the proper format. Please educate me should I fail.

SO LIKE, I know we have various tidbits of support in the Registeel analysis, and we even have a Uber support that is very similar, but this is tailored to OU, and most significantly REQUIRES Ice Punch, REQUIRES Explosion and only has flexiblity in regards to Earthquake, which COULD find Toxic to be feasible. I'll explain why in the set explanations. There is also the necessity of Expert Belt to consider. Also, is it switchin or switch-in...I forget..

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/registeel

[SET]
name: Standard Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Explosion
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Earthquake / Toxic
item: Expert Belt / Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Def
ivs: 25 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In a metagame in which teams are constantly threatened by Pokemon such as Dragon Dance and Life Orb Salamence, Substitute and Calm Mind Latias, Choice Scarf Heatran, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Substitute and Roost Zapdos, finding a comfortable "check" that simultaneously meshes with a wide variety of teams is difficult. This set serves to effectively "check" various threats without sacrificing general utility.</p>

<p>This works either as lead or as a switch-in to check a threat. If utilized as lead, be careful with common lead Taunters and lead Heatran, which tend to run Shuca Berry. 364 HP and 393 Defense allow Registeel to <strong>never</strong> get OHKOed by a +1 Attack Life Orb Salamence's Earthquake (even after Stealth Rock), and 228 Attack, when used with the Expert Belt, will allow Registeel to <strong>always</strong> KO 4 HP / 0 Defense Salamence with Ice Punch after one Life Orb recoil. Registeel will also have no problem switching into Latias or Zapdos, after which it will Ice Punch Latias and Ice Punch / Earthquake (on a predicted Roost) Zapdos. Should Salamence, Latias, or Zapdos carry high Defense or a Fire move, Registeel can easily deal with the threat by using Explosion. This can also surprise the common Choice Scarf Heatran by never getting OHKOed by Fire Blast and OHKOing back with Earthquake (again, with Expert Belt) very close to 100% of the time on a 4 HP / 0 Defense Heatran.</p>

<p>Aside from the specific Pokemon it can check, Registeel will support the team with Stealth Rock and by exploding on a threat deemed too dangerous to handle later. Registeel's Explosion, while only powered by 228 Attack, is nevertheless very potent due to its meteoric defenses; very rarely will the attacks you switch Registeel into actually 2HKO it.</p>

<p>The last moveslot is a matter of dealing with Heatran, Metagross, Jirachi, and Tyranitar switch-ins (all of which are common) with Earthquake, or the general usefulness of Toxic. Note that Toxic will help you deal with Zapdos, Togekiss, and non-Taunt Gyarados more effectively. As for the item, that is an issue of personal preference. If specific spreads don't suit your style, you can exchange Expert Belt for Leftovers, and then shift the Attack EVs into the defenses. Since Registeel's Steel typing is optimal for switching into Choice Specs powered Draco Meteors, putting a significant amount into Special Defense is highly recommended.</p>

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't all caps anything. Use <em> and <strong> tags.

Anyhow this set sounds pretty badass.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yea I'm not an html person can you tell me exactly what I need to do.

like instead of NEVER it would be <em>never<em> ?

It's switch-in, not switchin. And, I don't see the point in mentioning the "Attack" in "+1 Attack Life Orb Salamence's Earthquake".

Other than that it looks really good!

I feel twave deserves a mention it works really well on registeel over explosion/eq for thos who prefer a move with more targets and want some longevity.

<em> italicizes, while <strong> bolds. pick your poison.

switch-ins > switchins everywhere you have it as the latter.

"In a metagame in which teams are constantly threatened by Pokemon such as Dragon Dance and Life Orb Salamence, Substitute and Calm Mind Latias, Choice Scarf Heatran, Choice Scarf Jirachi, and Substitute and Roost Zapdos, finding a comfortable "check" that simultaneously meshes with a wide variety of teams is difficult."

"Should Salamence, Latias, or Zapdos carry high Defense or a Fire move, Registeel can easily deal with the threat by using Explosion."

"The last moveslot is a matter of dealing with Heatran, Metagross, Jirachi, and Tyranitar switch-ins (all of which are common) with Earthquake, or the general usefulness of Toxic."

"Note that Toxic will help you deal with Zapdos, Togekiss, and non-Taunt Gyarados more effectively."

serial commas.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
If you wanted italics, then it would be <em>never</em>. The same goes for strong if you want bold letters. Don't forget the slash in the second tag.

Aldaron

geriatric
o right smogon standard with commas

also i'll strong the caps stuff

EDIT: alright edited with switch-ins (think i got all of them), darkie's serial commas and appropriate tags (can i leave OHKO as OHKO?)

anything else?

I'm hesitent to put Thunder Wave on the set, but if you can convince me, I'll consider it.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
228 Attack and the Expert Belt allow Registeel to ALWAYS OHKO 4 HP / 0 Defense EVs Life Orb Salamence with Ice Punch right after the Earthquake.
The phrasing of this is a little awkward. Maybe something like "228 Attack, when used with the Expert Belt, will allow Registeel to always KO 4 HP / 0 Defense Salamence with Ice Punch after one Life Orb recoil." A bit more clear. I know what you meant, but I think some readers could be confused by the way you chose to phrase it.

This can also surprise the common Choice Scarf Heatran by never getting OHKOed by Fire Blast and OHKOing back with Earthquake very close to 100% of the time on a 4 HP / 0 Defense Heatran
I prefer unboosted over Choice Scarf personally but that's a nitpick. Since you list both Expert Belt and Leftovers as options you should mention the OHKO w/ EQ only holds true if you opt for Expert Belt.

I still find the original set quite useful with max special defense and the moves listed. Since Registeel will be resisting most common special attacks, Psychic, Ghost, Grass, Normal, Ice etc and taking neutral from Water. So will the original set still be listed ?

[SET]
name: Standard Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Explosion
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Earthquake / Toxic
item: Expert Belt / Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 168 Atk / 88 Def
ivs: 25 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In a metagame in which teams are constantly threatened by Pokemon such as Dragon Dance and Life Orb Salamence, Substitute and Calm Mind Latias, Choice Scarf Heatran, Choice Scarf and Substitute Jirachi, and Roost Zapdos, finding a comfortable "check" that simultaneously meshes with a wide variety of teams is difficult. This set serves to effectively "check" various threats without sacrificing general utility.</p>

<p>This works either as lead or as a switch-in to check a threat. If utilized as lead, be careful with common lead Taunters and lead Heatran, which tend to run Shuca Berry. 364 HP and 393 Defense allow Registeel to <strong>never</strong> get OHKOed by a +1 Attack Life Orb Salamence's Earthquake (even after Stealth Rock), and 228 Attack and the Expert Belt allow Registeel to <strong>always</strong> OHKO 4 HP / 0 Defense (removed "EVs") Life Orb Salamence with Ice Punch right after the Earthquake. Registeel will also have no problem switching into Latias or Zapdos, after which it will Ice Punch Latias and Ice Punch / Earthquake (on a predicted Roost) Zapdos. Should Salamence, Latias, (comma) or Zapdos carry high Defense or a Fire move, Registeel can easily deal with the threat by using Explosion. This can also surprise the common Choice Scarf Heatran by never getting OHKOed by Fire Blast and OHKOing back with Earthquake very close to 100% of the time on a 4 HP / 0 Defense Heatran.</p>

<p>Aside from the specific Pokemon it can check, Registeel will support the team with Stealth Rock and by exploding on a threat deemed too dangerous to handle later. Registeel's Explosion, while only powered by 228 Attack, is nevertheless very potent due to its meteoric defenses; very rarely will the attacks you switch Registeel into actually 2HKO it.</p>

<p>The last moveslot is a matter of dealing with Heatran, Metagross, Jirachi, and Tyranitar switch-ins (all of which are common) with Earthquake, or the general usefulness of Toxic. Note that Toxic will help you deal with Zapdos, Togekiss, and non-Taunt Gyarados more effectively. As for the item, that is an issue of personal preference. If specific spreads don't suit your style, you can exchange Expert Belt for Leftovers, and then shift the Attack EVs into the defenses. Since Registeel's Steel typing is optimal for switching into Choice Specs powered Draco Meteors, putting a significant amount into Special Defense is highly recommended.</p>
I'm not sure about how Smogon usually writes it, but "moveslot" is supposedly supposed to be move-slot or move slot. Anyway, nice write up; thanks.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Moveslot, Moveset, and Movepool should all technically be split by a hyphen, but Smogon uses them without. So that's correct until someone with higher power decides to change how Smogon present it.

Is this almost done now then Aldaron?

Aldaron

geriatric
Corrected the other mistakes, so yea, I think it's site ready.

People can look it over more though.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to make it clear since you didn't explicitly say, you want this to replace the "standard OU" set for whatever it is called right? I'm pretty sure that's your intention which I'm fine with but I want to make sure.

edit: what the fuck, don aldy ?___?

In the beginning paragraph you mention this being a "check" to Heatran, but I think that that is stretching it somewhat. Not every Pokemon with Earthquake checks Heatran. It can't even reliably switch in to check it, considering it's always 2HKOed.

and lol caelum

In the beginning paragraph you mention this being a "check" to Heatran, but I think that that is stretching it somewhat. Not every Pokemon with Earthquake checks Heatran. It can't even reliably switch in to check it, considering it's always 2HKOed.

and lol caelum
Check doesn't mean counter, check merely means "can take it on". Heatran is a check to Scizor; it can't come in on CB SuperPower but it can come in and beat it after something may have fainted / on particular moves.

Aldaron

geriatric
check isn't a counter

this has always koed heatran for me when I have switched in (after losing a pokemon), because heatran have stayed in and I have ohkoed

anyway i dont care caelum, you do what you need to do

power to the people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)