Dragon Gym Team (Certain Restrictions)

Hello! Thank you for visiting my thread. Before I go into the actual Pokemon, I should mention that while I completely understand the game's mechanics (EV's, IV's, type matchups,) I should mention that I have not mastered certain skills, (prediction, knowing what sets a certain Pokemon usually carried.)

Now, the restrictions I mention in the title relate to the fact that this team is designed for a Gym in another forum, which has certain rules. On too of the normal clauses, they also require that at least 4 of my Pokemon be Dragon (Dragon gym,) two can be wildcards of any type, and the item clause is also in effect.

Following is my team.

Xerena (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

I use Mega Mawile whenever my opponent has a bad matchup or attempts to setup with a Pokemon that can't scratch it. After a Swords Dance, it's all about predicting an attack for a Sucker Punch, or wallbreaking. Play Rough is great STAB if I'm unsure of a switch.

Gabur (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Garchomp is one of the strongest Dragons allowed in OU. STAB Earthquake and Outrage (when there isn't a threat of Fairies,) allows for weakening or KO'ing enemies. Stone Edge works against flying types, (and Togekiss,) while Poison Jab easily handles slower Fairies.

Senketsu (Aegislash) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Aegislash is a personal favorite of mine. The mixed set allows him to take on both variations of of walls. Sacred Sword handles Ice, Dark, and Steel types that the rest of the team can't as easily hit. KS is standard, useful for prediction against any physically-inclined foe. However, I'm not completely sure about Weakness Policy, as he usually ends up KO'd whenever it would usually activated.

Colossus (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
At first, I wasn't convinced this was a good choice, but after watching Kyu-B's awesome tanking potential, I have to say in impressed. With a bulky Substitute that can repel multiple attacks, Kyu-B can easily sweep using STAB Ice Beam. Fusion Bolt covers Water-types like Rotom-W, while Earth Power works to shatter steel types like MMawile.

Kigan (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Defog

I'll admit I don't use Latios that often, but his role is nonetheless pivotal. Defog is obviously used to dispel enemies who would otherwise set up entry hazards in the face of my team. Draco Meteor and Psyshock are both great STAB, although Latios' appearance on the field is usually fleeting due to DM's debuff. Surf is merely for coverage against Fire types that would threaten the Steel-types on the team.

Tennen (Kingdra) (M) @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Agility

I'm listing him last, but Kingdra is my favorite of all my team, and is also my lead.

The biggest benefit to Kingdra is simply that nobody knows much about him, due to being extremely underutilized. Most people assume he is weak to Electricity, and they are wrong. They also assume that he is very weak, so they set up before him, which is a grave mistake. After a Focus Energy, and while holding a Scope Lens, Kingdra gets guaranteed crits on every hit, allowing him to sweep whole teams (Agility is usually used in tandem.) Further, critical hits ignore Draco Meteor's debuff, allowing complete spam (most people don't know this either.) Hydro Pump hits most everything that Draco Meteor does not, save for Ferrothorn.

Threat List:
MCharizardX: I have very little way to stop this behemoth, and after a Dragon Dance, he tears through my whole team.

Ferrothorn: I've only run into this guy while leading with Kingdra, but it made my life pretty sour since he resists both of Kingdra's STAB moves. Garchomp's EQ does alright damage, but not enough.

Trevanant: Many Will O' Wisps, much Leech Seed, so Harvest.
I don't know how to best this guy besides wailing away, hoping the sun goes away.

No player that is even remotely competent would think that kingdra is weak to electric, but I'm glad your using him. Critdra is underrated! I don't like agility on him though; with it he requires 2 turns of setup, and even then a sweep is no sure thing (think of what you could do with, say, 2 dragon dances on a megazard x). For garchomp, if you aren't using swords dance then you might as well be running the standard choice scarf on him. Scarf is crazy good, letting you out speed and revenge kill an enormous amount of the meta game.

No player that is even remotely competent would think that kingdra is weak to electric, but I'm glad your using him. Critdra is underrated! I don't like agility on him though; with it he requires 2 turns of setup, and even then a sweep is no sure thing (think of what you could do with, say, 2 dragon dances on a megazard x). For garchomp, if you aren't using swords dance then you might as well be running the standard choice scarf on him. Scarf is crazy good, letting you out speed and revenge kill an enormous amount of the meta game.
Admittingly I have only recently gotten into Showdown, so my ladder ranking is relatively low, and I've been fighting relatively new players. But as for Agility, I don't know if there is anything better to use that spot for, and Critdra could REALLY use that speed since I'm not using Swift Swim.

I'll consider your Garchomp advice, though. I'm only using Rocky Helmet since I've actually had the damage for Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet KO some fools before, haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)