Dragons&Steels: A Match Made in Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dragon-Steel combination is widely known for its ability to effectively cover each others' weaknesses, both offensively and defensively. I've recently been invited to join a competitive league where one is required to construct a team of five members of two different types, and a wild card. I couldn't resist but give this esteemed duo-typing a try myself, and started thinking up a tough and effective team. This team starts off with a unique Anti-Lead that is able to knock out, if not severely cripple common leads, and get Stealth Rock up at the same time. Then it takes advantage of Magnezone's unique ability to trap and eliminate Steel-type pokémon that would otherwise give my two Dragons a hard time. What's interesting is that these two Dragons serve as bait to lure out their Steel-type counters, which are then swiftly dealt with by the trapping Magnezone. Then I figured if I could eliminate all of CursePert's potential counters, ie. Celebi, and other bulky waters, I could attempt a sweep with it. Was I successful in my team building process? That is up to you to decide.

For people who are too lazy to actually read through the descriptions, here are the six members of my team at a quick glance:

|
|
|
|
|

Now let's take a look at the type resistance and weakness chart, courtesy of Marriland:

As you can see from the chart above, my team does have four quadruple weaknesses, but one glaring weakness from one member of the team is generally well covered by the rest of the team.

Well I'm certainly not going to stall any longer, so without much further ado, I present to you my team of what I think is the best type combination in the pokémon metagame.

What? I am a surprisingly good Anti-Lead...

Empoleon @ Wide Lens
Modest Nature / Torrent
156 HP / 252 SAtk / 100 Spd

Stealth Rock
Hydro Pump
Aqua Jet
Grass Knot

Moveset Analysis:
  • Stealth Rock: My team is highly offensive, with Swampert being the only member primarily focused on defense. Stealth Rock is essentially a necessity for the team, and Empoleon is bulky enough to get the job done.
  • Hydro Pump: Empoleon strongest and a generally reliable STAB move. With Empoleon's competent Special Attack stat, Hydro Pump deals massive damage to bulky Ground-types, and fragile sweepers in general. Wide Lens raises Hydro Pump's shaky 80% accuracy to a more reliable 88%.
  • Aqua Jet: Empoleon may not have the attack to deal much damage with this move, but with Hydro Pump's overwhelming power, most suicide leads will be reduced to their Focus Sash, if not knocked out completely. With the Sash gone, they can be immediately dispatched by Aqua Jet.
  • Grass Knot: This is Empoleon's best (and only) answer to the omnipresent Swampert Lead. Grass Knot has a base power of 80 on Swampert, which means that a standard MixPert takes between 94%-110% from it. Opponents will general withdraw Swampert upon witnessing the entrance of Empoleon, providing me with the opportunity to set up Stealth Rock immediately.
Why did I choose Empoleon?

Empoleon certainly isn't a lead that one would normally expect to see on the Pokémon battlefield. As I've previously mentioned, my team had to consist of Pokémon of the Dragon and Steel-types, however I felt that there weren't any Dragon-types that could make suitable leads. I could lead with Salamence and attempt a sweep right off the bat, but without Stealth Rock in play, it would be extremely difficult. Plus, a ridiculously high number of leads carry Focus Sash, or some sort of status move. So I turned to the Steel-type. What opportunities lay there? There was Jirachi, who had the ability to use Serene Grace and Iron Head to eliminate fast and fragile leads, and Trick a Choice Scarf onto slower and bulkier leads. But Jirachi Leads are pretty commonly seen nowadays, and they lack the ability to do any real damage to things like Swampert and Hippowdon. They cannot prevent Stealth Rock from being set up, even if they do succeed in Tricking a Scarf onto the opposing lead. Then, of course, one could not forget Heatran with a Shuca Berry. Again, quite overused and abused, and it could not effectively deal with Swampert and Hippowdon without having to resort to sacrifice a slot to Hidden Power. It was then that I was made aware of Empoleon's potential as a lead, after stumbling upon it while browsing through Smogon one day. I love it for its ability to eliminate common leads, but at the same time carry the bulk to be able to set up entry hazards. The EV spread allows it to outspeed the likes of Metagross, Tyranitar and Machamp, and generally do serious damage before they can retaliate. The HP EVs give it considerable bulk, and ensures its survival again non-STABed Earthquakes, Electric, and Fighting-type attacks. As for the item, I had once considered using a Chople Berry, which would allow it to beat out Infernape and Lucario leads, but as I would have to sacrifice Hydro Pump's accuracy, I felt it was unnecessary. Lead Infernape do not threaten this team a great deal, and Lucario leads are seldom seen. Empoleon's role extends beyond acting as an Anti-Lead and Lead-in-one. With its plethora of resistances, (twelve to be exact, second to only Magnezone in OU) and a quadruple weakness to both Ice and Steel-type (yes, that means you, Scizor) attacks, it can easily switch in and threaten the opponent with its extremely powerful Hydro Pump. Overall, Empoleon is a great Pokémon that definitely should not be underestimated.

Team Synergy:

Salamence | Latias
Swampert | Latias | Magnezone
Salamence | Latias

You can run from me, but you can't hide. Wait...you can't run either.

More to be added later...

Max

yadig
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't post incomplete threads please. Read the RMT forum rules before posting another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)