Drifblim PU analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

Driblim has unique typing, but lacking defenses to back up it's HP stat and offensive stats that are nothing to write home about, not to mention the loss of Flying Gem Acrobatics this Gen due to it being unreleased. The offensive stats can be remedied however, very effectively often. Also, this gen gave Drifblim a new toy - Weakness Policy.

Weakness Policy
########
name: Weakness Policy
move 1: Endure
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Knock Off/Hypnosis
move 4: Hypnosis/Destiny Bond
ability: Unburden
item: Weakness Policy
evs: 252 atk, 252 spd, 4 HP
nature: Adamant/Jolly

Moves
========

This set, when used correctly, can be devastating. Endure allows you to survive a super effective attack, activate your Weakness Policy and double your attack, then fire off your 110 power STAB attack. Also, Drifblim could have taken any amount of damage and Endure would allow it to take the SE attack anyway. The omnipresent Knock Off is for things that resist Acrobatics, since Drifblim doesn't get anything better really, dealing a fair bit of damage to anything that needs it, or Hypnosis if you want to send something to sleep, but beware of the low accuracy. Destiny Bond is there for obvious reasons.

Set Details
========

The evs, nature and item aren't anything special, clearly the Weakness Policy is there to double your attack and speed - with double speed Adamant is preferred over Jolly, but Jolly is usable if you want to sneak in a Hypnosis or Destiny bond when they don't have a super effective attack or you want to take them down with you.

Usage Tips
========

Drifblim is not hard to KO, so try not to switch it in onto powerful attacks, but its 3 immunities do make it easier to switch in. It is immune to Normal and Fighting priority, which always helps a 1 HP sweeper, and any hazard support may help. Don't underestimate Drifblim's defensive capabilities, but don't rely on them either. For instance:

0- Atk Camerupt Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Drifblim: 246-290 (55.6 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Camerupt Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Drifblim: 300-354 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And then:
+2 252+ Atk Drifblim Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Camerupt: 382-450 (111 - 130.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Team options:
Piloswine or any pokemon with a non fighting or normal priority attack pose a threat. Also, pokemon like Carracosta or who can take a +2 hit and KO in return. A good teammate might be a water type such as Floatzel, who can deal good damage to both with Waterfall and take an Ice or water attack - be wary of Carracosta's Shell Smash though.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Rest/Substitute
move 4: Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fighting/Will-o-wisp
ability: Unburden
item: Chesto Berry/Sitrus Berry
evs: 204 HP/252 SpAtk/54 Spd OR 252 spatk/252 spd/4 HP
nature: Modest/Timid

Moves
========

Calm mind is the crux of the set, doing what Calm Mind clearly is supposed to do, set up. Substitute is for whenever you see an opportunity, or if they are using an unreliable accuracy move you might be able to take advantage of, or simply for scouting purposes, so long as you outspeed. Rest is if you want the immediate recovery back to full health and are ready to start sweeping hopefully. Shadow Ball is the move of choice, taking down a lot of pokemon with STAB and a couple of Calm minds under your belt, and Thunderbolt is for anything which is immune or resists, unless you'd prefer HP fighting for SE on pure normals and darks. Will-o-wisp is for crippling physical attackers who could otherwise perhaps OHKO Driflim, but then Drifblim can't do anything to Normal and Dark types.

Set Details
========

The first set of evs are for optimum bulk and the 54 speed allows you to outspeed a Timid Electrode after an Unburden boost, allowing you to put the rest into bulk for obvious reasons. The second is self explanatory to allow you to outspeed things before your Unburden boost most likely for a Substitute or Rest before you die.

Usage Tips
========

Not much to say except try to switch it into a pokemon you can set up on.

Team Options
========

Lickylicky would be a huge threat for this set, as it can tank anything you throw at it, although since Drifblim is immune to Body Slam will more likely Toxic. Throh would be a good teammate as Guts and Super effectiveness would allow it to help a lot against Normal types.

Other Options
########

Weakness Policy specially attacking set would also be viable, with Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt and another move, but is mostly outclassed by the physical set due to the sheer power of Acrobatics. A defensive set with Destiny Bond and Aftermath making it a pain to finish off could put in some work with good predictions. Flare Boost is another option, giving you high special attack, but the lack of speed means it can't hit fast enough before it dies, so Sticky Web support would be appreciated. Also a Defog set could work, with Unburden ChestoRest for recovery, or Sitrus Berry, and then Will-o-wisp to stop physical attackers and specially defensive bulk, but generally Drifblim is outclassed by other Rapid Spin or Defog users like Lumineon or Mantine.

Checks & Counters
########

Drifblim doesn't appreciate Stealth rocks taking its health away, but with Endure and Weakness Policy it doesn't matter too much. Lickylicky is a huge counter to Drifblim, it's bulk allowing it to take hits and, if it has Toxic, wearing away Drifblim's health if it doesn't have Substitute. Of course Sub Calm Mind Drifblim actually likes Lickylicky. Something with Roar or Whirlwind can easily check pretty much any Drifblim. Also, it really doesn't enjoy a Knock off, unless it's Weakness Policy and has used Endure. If the opponent can predict Endure then it doesn't always bode well for Drifblim, or just strong neutral attacks.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
Friend, quick word of advice: Analyses are supposed to be in a bulleted form until they get 2-3(Unsure exactly how PU ones work) QC checks, which is when you write them up. Also, it's best to elaborate on the teammates in all sets, even if it's redundant. Remember, these are going to be seen by people who may or may not see the other sets, so having elaboration on all sets is the best possible method of approach.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
<anty> !learn drifblim, swords dance
<TIBot> Drifblim can't learn Swords Dance.
<anty> lol

Might want to check that third set. Honestly worries me a bit seeing this. Wondering if you actually have experience with Drifblim.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Benjg looking through this analysis at the sets and the Usage Tips makes me wonder if you actually have any experience using Drifblim at all let alone in the PU metagame. For instance Camerupt doesn't run Stone Edge while Drifblim can't learn Swords Dance as pointed out above. I don't like rejecting first time analyses cause I want new users to get a chance to contribute to Smogon, so I am going to recommend that you make a team with Drifblim and use it for the next couple of days on the PU ladder and then base the analysis off of that. I'm also going to suggest that you get a mentor in C&C so that you can better understand what is expected of these sorts of things. unfixable has graciously offered to help you out, take his advice and get the analysis up to standards :)

Hello Benjg, as Montsegur has said, this really isn't up to standards of what is expected in an analysis. If you could please PM me here or here then we can work on this and get it up to standards :].

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Benjg please put this in bullet point form ASAP and remove Swords Dance as that doesn't exist. I will give you 48 hours to bring this up to formatting standards. If you have any questions, please PM me or another PU Council member for guidance.

In addition, maybe take some more time to test out Drifblim's sets (then you would know it doesn't get Swords Dance)

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK, well Benjg you have 48 hours to move this wip to the qc stage AND get the formatting properly done. I am unreserving Sliggoo, and I want to see you complete this analysis before reserving any others. unfixable was kind enough to offer you help, so please speak with him as well.

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
And WhiteDMist, what is the qc stage? And what's wrong with the formatting?
The QC stage is basically when the analysis is ready to be looked at by the QC team; you can click "thread tools" near the top of the page to add a "Quality Control" prefix once it's ready for that. As for the formatting, everything needs to be in bullet points until the analysis has received two QC approvals, except Checks and Counters which is formatted like this:
**Example**: Description of how Driblim is checked/countered by this Pokémon/group of Pokémon.
Hope this helps! :]

Use this link to learn how to format your analyses correctly. Can you edit the analysis to meet the requirement? Once everything is properly formatted, it is considered QC stage. Then you should change your title to Quality Control. Please have this done ASAP, or I will reassign.
You know what, just re-assign it - I don't really have the time to do this with exams coming up. Thanks for the chance to do this, but I think I'll just skip this after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)