Drizzle 2.0 (Gen V Wifi)

So with Swift Swim effectively banned, it might actualy take some skill at making an effective Rain team.
Here's my shot.

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic (HP-Elec?)

- Focus Blast

So yeah... Drizzletoad...
This set has been working rather well for me though.
Max HP for some really decent bulk, and max sp atk to hit as hard as possible with Surf (Hydro Pump hates me, i'm not going to use it).
The reason I go with this over a Scarf set is because i want him to be able to come in as often as possible to set up rain, and with a Scarf set I find he goes down way to quickly. This gives him some survivability, while letting him hit hard at the same time.

(Breloom) (F) @ Toxic Orb Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Focus Punch

This guys is the bomb. With the new sleep mechanics he basically shuts down a pokemon for the entire game with Spore. And then proceeds to sweep from there with Focus Punch and Seed Bomb.

The main reason I have him in here though is to counter Nattorei.
Another possibillity of course would be Toxicroak, but I find Spore too good to pass up.

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

90 base power priority comming off of a 654 attack stat is of course a scary prospect. He's basically my Swift Swim substitute. Good for Koing the plethora of sand sweepers who will be running rampant now with the new bans in place.
100/80/80 deffenses are none too shabby. Max HP to make the most of that. So she's able to take a hit or two, and keep on dishing out.

Borutorosu (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot

This guy is always a pain when I face him, I hope he causes my opponents as much grief as he does me.
So yeah, this guy's my special sweeper. Taking advantage of rain to hit with a very powerfull stab Thunder (quite rediculous after a Nasty Plot).
HP-ice for some great pseudo Bolt Beam coverage.
One reason I chose him though is because he can make a great lead with Priority Taunt.

Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Ah good ol reliable Nattorei. Able to take so much punishment, and just keep comming back. He's deffinately the crux of this team, protecting me from powerfull Dragon and electric moves. Very reliable Stealth Rocker too.
I am not too sure on the EV spread though. I figured a Relaxed nature because it would give the biggest benefit (Deffense beeing his highest stat)
With a Def boosting nature he recives a 29 point boost in that stat, whereas only a 26 point boost with a Sp Def boosting nature.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder
- Recover

Orginally I had Gliscor in this slot, as a counter to Roobushin and just general Sand Sweepers. But I changed it to this guy on a recomendation, and he works really well. Patching up severall weaknesses like Reuniclus and Conkeldurr (god that name is so Retarded). Abusing pseudo stab Surf and 100% accurate Thunder in the rain, and healing off Life Orb damage with Recover.

So that's my team. I originally set out to just make a sort of generall Rain offense team, but it just kinda turned in to a counter Sandstorm team.

When it comes to leads I have 4 options really.
I can of course lead off with Politoed to get the rain going. I can also lead off with Borutorosu to taunt set up leads. I can lead with Breloom to Spore slower leads, or I can lead with Nattorei to set up on attacking leads.

After some testing, it seems I have a big weakness to Tornadus, who pretty much wrecks me with Hurricane. Thundurus can come in on it if he's at reasonable health, but it comes down to a speed tie in that case (and confuse hax rears its ugly head once in a while).

Scizor or Escavalier are two of the biggest counters for Reuniclus, and both fit well on a rain team only having a 2x weakness to Fire as a result, which is pretty damn fantastic. Escavalier has the benefit of being able to counter both the CM and TR variants and everything is going to hate CB Megahorn. I'd look into one of those, although I have a hard time finding who to replace. Ferrothorn most likely. Takes care of Lati@s pretty damn well too in the rain.

Ok, well, there seems to be a lack of focus between Stall and Offense, and it doesn't quite abuse Rain as much as it could.

Should you take the Stall route, (and there seems to be easy to do with the team so far) there are a couple options to include.

Rain Dish Blastoise or Tentacruel for Spinners, and Berungeru to pair with Nattorei for the well known defensive core. Berungeru can even solve your Roobushin issues, though it may have problems with Payback or Guts versions should you carry Boiling Water. (Though AcroFling Gliscor is ever a beast) Adding Berungery can also open up Spikes on Nattorei, as you'll have a durable Spinblocker.

Amoongus (Pokeball Mushroom) is a potential over Breloom here. Spore is still present, and Giga Drain with Leftovers and bulk make a nice wall, especially when Clear Smog can strip set up moves.

For an Offensive Team, I think Toxicroak is a viable option over Azumarill. It still carries Fighting coverage, even STAB, and gains recovery with Dry Skin. Poliwrath also has potential, even carrying Hypnosis, though it obviously doesn't have the accuracy of Spore.

I know I'm suggesting all Water types, so I'm sorry about that, it may not be helpful.

With Swift Swim gone, other abilities and coverages are going to be what gives you an edge. Hydration, Dry, Skin, Rain Dish. Again, this lends itself to Stall, as Hydration/Rest keeps a wall up and absorbs Status. (Vaporeon comes to mind)

For a Special attacker, I can't think of a better option over Borutorosu, as the Priority Taunt is a nice bonus. Thinking again of Stall, it can keep hazards off the field to allow you more switches than your opponent.

Not sure how much I'm helping, but hopefully this can be a starting point to plant some new ideas and get you thinking. Best of luck.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow another Rain team that is 6-0ed by CM Birij-*is shot*

Yeah, if I got a buck for every time I see a rain team that is completely ass-stomped by Birijion I wouldn't have work for the rest of my life. I recommend that you replace Gliscor with Latias or Latios. If you use Latias, use a Calm Mind variant, while for Latios, LO + 3 attacks probably fits your team better. You don't need Gliscor to counter Roobushin since these two usually do a good enough job for you and Azumarill revenges pretty much all sand sweepers anyway. Here's what I recommend:

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Reflect / Roar / Surf
- Recover

I've been playing around with Reflect + CM Latias and it's pretty good, you can take stuff like U-Turn from Scizor, Recover it off, fire off Dragon Pulse or set up and is in short, pretty hard to kill.

Latios @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psycho Shock / Thunder / Trick
- Recover / Dragon Pulse / Trick

Typical attacking Latios, I suppose.

EDIT:
Note: Aqua Jet is still only BP 60 even factoring stab, not 90.
It's 90 in the rain.

Wow another Rain team that is 6-0ed by CM Birij-*is shot*

Yeah, if I got a buck for every time I see a rain team that is completely ass-stomped by Birijion I wouldn't have work for the rest of my life. I recommend that you replace Gliscor with Latias or Latios. If you use Latias, use a Calm Mind variant, while for Latios, LO + 3 attacks probably fits your team better. You don't need Gliscor to counter Roobushin since these two usually do a good enough job for you and Azumarill revenges pretty much all sand sweepers anyway. Here's what I recommend:

Latias @ Leftovers
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Reflect / Roar / Surf
- Recover

I've been playing around with Reflect + CM Latias and it's pretty good, you can take stuff like U-Turn from Scizor, Recover it off, fire off Dragon Pulse or set up and is in short, pretty hard to kill.

Latios @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psycho Shock / Thunder / Trick
- Recover / Dragon Pulse / Trick

Typical attacking Latios, I suppose.

EDIT:

It's 90 in the rain.
The Life Orb Latios set looks pretty good, I think i'll try that.

Swift Swim is banned? WTF? Where do you guys get this info as i may not be catching on.

Anyways, As for your Tornadus concerns, there're 3 choices with your team although i may be wrong, they're possible:

1) Latios can probably (70%) survive a non-Specs Special Attack from Tornadus and Thunder it back.

2) Apply same strategy with Voltolos.

3) Max SDef your DrizzleToad, survive a non-Physical Attack, and attempt to KO with Ice Beam which is good cause...

4) It falls to Latios easily.

Swift Swim is banned in conjunction with DrizzleToad. You can still use it in Ubers (obviously). But in Standard one cannot be with the other.

Swift Swim is banned in conjunction with DrizzleToad. You can still use it in Ubers (obviously). But in Standard one cannot be with the other.
Off topic, what if it's accidental? Say I throw in my Huntail but my team isn't focused on rain (which was started by the foe's Politoed).

Outside from that, I think you should replace Latios with Conkeldurr as it can aid with many of your teams common threats. That said, Brelloom can be replaced with a bulky Celtic Dragonite. Scald is also something you could use as that 30% burn is always helpful. That's just my 2 cents though.

I'm pretty sure that's banned too, but the thread on Banning Swift Swim+Drizzle by Chomper the Sharptooth should tell you. You can have Rain+SS, just not Toed+SS. You can still have SS Pokemon with alternate abilities, as many are useful just in rain.. Sorry it's off topic! I'll add something constructive to make it relevant. DrizzleToed should run HP Electric, Protect or Toxic over Psychic. I'd suggest changing Politoed to a Bulky variant with Protect, Toxic, Boil Over and Ice Beam or a filler move. You have no idea how hard they are to take down.

hp electric won't be as useful as psychic. Toxicroack is more common than gyarados and you need psychic so you aren't set up bait. gyarados isn't as popular as he use to be and won't find many times to come in because of the electricity that your other members pack.

I might suggest using Toxicroak over Breloom as it provides an immunity to Water, the same resistance to grass and an added resistance to fighting, a neutrality to ice, and resistance to poison and fighting. It also heals 12.5% of its health each turn in the rain, basically the same as poison heal Breloom. It also counters many bulky waters.

Here's a suggested set:

Toxicroak@Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch

Substitute to block status and leech seed, swords dance to boost, drain punch for STAB and more healing, and sucker punch for priority. Works wonders on a rain team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)