Dual Gods (Peaked #12)

DUALGODS

Hi, I'm Steele. Been lurking the site for a solid 4 years, so don't dismiss this RMT like the other people who have 20 posts, I have a solid idea of what I'm doing. As you've seen in the title, this Uber team is centralized around the two most potent Pokemon in the Uber Metagame--nay--the entire game. The Gods of Pokemon themselves: The Classic God of Pokemon, Mewtwo, and the Thousand Armed Creator, Arceus. In Nearly EVERY Single Uber Analysis, these two devistating threats are always mentioned, most teams carry a dedicated counter to both of these Pokemon. And rightly so, an unprepared team will be ripped to shreads at the seams. The general premise was to elimiate threats that dare to oppose diving wrath, and wreak havok. How successful has this team been? I first made it on 6/18/11. Exactly 24 hours later, I peaked on the Uber ladder around #12, but since then I've been hovering around #36.

Additionally, I have a long standing habit of naming all of my Uber Teams after Led Zeppelin songs and Albums. Don't ask me how it started, but there is always one person on the ladder who's like "OMG Led Zeppelin?! Awesome." This team is no exception, please see Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti for more information.

Team Building Process:

As stated above, the team started with the Two Gods of Pokemon, Arceus and Mewtwo. I knew early on that I wanted to use the undeniably powerful Extreme Killer Set, due to the shear, devistating power it brings to the table. I started out with a standard CM/Taunt/LO Mewtwo.

Wobuffet was added to the team immediatley, and has been a godsend (Lulz) to the team. Arceus's Main threats are Giratina, Lugia, and Scarfed Pokemon. Wobuffet traps and Encores MOST Lugia and Giratina sets, and demolishes all scarfed Pokemon ever. Wobuffet is NOT KO'd by Scarfed Kyogre's Water Spout at Max HP, and Mirror Coats the Giant Whale to Oblivion. Additionally, if I can catch something else Boosting with an Encore, I am GUARENTEED a free Set-up, usually with Arceus. Wobuffet was swilfty added.

Next, Scizor complemented Wobuffet quite well, trapping, Encoring, and Tickling Lugia as Pursuit fodder for Scizor. It also gave a much needed KO on oppoising Ferrothorn with Superpower, and added ever important Priority outside of my main sweepers. Scizor also fufilled the mandatory Steel typing on Uber teams.

At this point it occured to me that Ubers, much like OU (much to my distain) is a weather dominated metagame. It's been said a million times that the best counter to weather is different weather. After much contemplation, I figured that Kyogre was the best option. It also fufilled the Bulky water role on my team, as I used a max HP/Def RestTalk CM variant.

Finally, Ubers being a Special heavy tier, I needed a dedicated Special Wall. I HATE using Blissey, because everyone has a counter to it, and Chansey is a bit too frail for Ubers in my taste. I went to my fall back Pokemon, Good-ol Forry. Spins, Rocks, Spikes, you know the drill. I was a bit hesitant due to having two Steel/Bugs on my team; a siren in the back of my head from the basics of competitive battling was going off. However, because they served very different roles, and I had great synergy with Kyogre for both of them, it wasn't too big of a problem.

Ok, got 6 pokes, so now it's fine tuning time. Lead Darkrais were demolishing my game, tricking and Voiding me to death. I eventually made a very simple, similar, yet effictive Anti-Lead Mewtwo Set. Essentially, its Scarfed Mewtwo with Trick and three attacks. Nobody expected it, and is totally awesome. Life Orb was doing more harm than good on Arceus, so I swapped that with Silk Scarf. Wobbuffet is Wobbuffet. After a few games, I found that I was Resting usually once to get rid of status, and then killing opposing pokes with a few CMs under my belt. I switched Kyogre to ChestoRest, and immediatley got better results. Mah main main Forry wasn't really cutting the mustard, so I switched to a Special Def. Ferrothorn. Again, better results: Paralysis and Leech Seed and generally better bulk helped.

And there we have it! On to the team itself!

TenYearsGone (Mewtwo) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- Psystrike
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

I'm well aware that I am grossly underusing Mewtwo's potential with Choice Scarf, but hear me out. This set works surprisingly well, due to its element of surprise. Unless I've battled with them before on the ladder, nobody expects a Trick comming from a Mewtwo, or that my Mewtwo will outspeed their Scarf Darkrai. Against Darkrai, Aura Sphere is a solid 2HKO, while Dark Pulse is also a 2HKO. While I may have greatly weakened my Mewtwo in the process, Darkrai goes down. Against walls like Chancey and Lugia, Groudon that dare set up on me, a surprise Trick cripples them for the rest of the game. (Quick Note: I once tried Tricking against a regular Giratina with Leftovers, and it failed. Can you not switch with Giratina at all, or is that a PO Mechanic problem?). Everything else is very standard, Psystrike and Aura Sphere to give perfect type and spectrum coverage, bar two. Ice Beam to clean up all those Dragons who want to ruin my fun. Again, Scarf Mewtwo is unheard of in the current Metagame, 2-1HKOing opposing Scarfers like Zekrom with Ice Beam, catching them completley offguard.

I tend to lead with Mewtwo, just to get the early Trick advantage, or the early KO depending on the opposing lead. However, if the matching lead isn't favorable from team preview, I have plenty of options with Kyogre to either boost or bluff Choice, Ferrothorn to set up rocks, or Scizor to scout out.

HolyHouses (Wobbuffet) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 228 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Counter
- Tickle

As I said in the Teambuilding, Wobbuffet is Wobbuffet. Pure, simple, and bouncing your attack right back at ya since 1999. Tickle over Safeguard for Pursuit trapping with Scizor. It's so easy to slap Wobbuffet on a team and call it a day, but it serves quite a purpose on the team, and is often the saving grace in a pinch, allowing Arceus or even Kyogre to set up without threat. Standard EVs, only a few things could OHKO. Specs Kyogre comes to mind, with max HP Water Spout, which is a big problem (See threat List). With some prediction, Wobbuffet easilly Encores opponents trying to set up, and guarentees a free switch and set-up with Arceus or Kyogre, which in the Uber metagame could spell 'The End' for weakened or unprepared teams.

DwnByThCside/Down By The Seaside (Kyogre) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Kyogre is obscenely powerful enough to sweep with just a few Calm Minds under it's belt. The point of Rest-Talkers is to be able to boost, rest, talk and repeat until they're at a good point to start sweeping. However, with only one Calm Mind, without ANY EV or Nature investment, Kyogre's SpAtt breaks 500, and one can't forget to factor in the infinite rain that Kyogre brings, boosting his attacking prowess to crazy levels. With just one or two Calm Minds, this guy is ready to sweep. Because it needs so few boosts to attack, a Chesto Rest variant works much better than the regular SleepTalker set. It also provides a handy check to Darkrai who want to try to Dark Void me to prevent the setup, only to be demolished by a devistating Scald. It also allows for the occasional Choiced bluff, which can turn the tables on opponents. It's hard to forget that Kyogre's main point of being on the team was a weather counter when it has such a staple role on the roster.

Why not Specs or Scarf you may be asking? Well I think of it like this: Kyogre defines the Uber Metagame, there is no arguing that. You play differently depending on wether your opponent has Kyogre right from the start. However, Kyogre is amazing at doing one thing: Causing switches. Nobody wants to stay in on Kyogre, because they either A) Have a dedicated Special Wall, or B) Need to change the Weather immediatley (AKA Switching to Groudon, more times than not). I would much rather capatilalize on the switch with a nice happy Calm Mind instead of using Specs or Scarf.

Kashmir (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor is an absolute monster in Ubers, as I'm sure you all know. Scores Solid OHKOs on opposing Mewtwo and Darkrai with U-turn, usually with Paralysis support from Ferrothorn, although most variants cannot OHKO without a fire move. Superpower provides an ever so important kill on Ferrothorn, who walls Arceus and Kyogre, two staples of the team. Pursuit, as stated above, works in tandem with Tickle Wobbuffet to trap and kill major threats like Lugia. It's old, worn out, everyone knows it, but it gets the job done. And of course what would Scizor be without Bullet Punch?

Custard Pie (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Ah yes, Ferrothorn in the Rain. How droll, how droll. Ferrothorn, as you all know, operates so well in the rain. It takes the plethora and abundance of special attacks aimed at it for funzies, and is a complete menace in the Uber setting. Even in the rain, it can't take Fire attacks from the absurdly powerful Reshiram, or Mewtwo, so I play with a lot of discretion. Leech seed for epic recovery-stall-tasticness. Gyro Ball as my only attacking move because I wanted Ferrothorn to play more of a supporing role, and Gyro Ball still hits like a train on anything that doesn't reist it. Thunder Wave aids the Bulky Kyogre set I run, and Scizor whose speed is a bit lackluster for Uber.

The eternal question: Spikes or Stealth Rocks? I remember reading an article at the very beginning of 4th gen that outlined why Stealth Rocks was the best move in the game. Since then, it's always been on a higher priotity than Spikes on a move slot. Also, because Lugia NEEDS to be eliminated for this team to be successful, Stealth Rocks was the way to go. I dunno, if you feel that spikes would be better, sound off--let me know.

The Rover (Arceus) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Dun, dun dun!! Yes, the ever infamous, always annoying, eternally holy Extreme Killer Arceus. Bask in its undeniable glory and power. Earthquake over Overheat because it won't be heating much of anything in the rain. A few extra Speed EVs to outspeed oppising Arceus. I'm considering going 4/252/252 just to be sure that I outpace or at least tie opposing Arceus. Life Orb was becoming the reason that Arceus was dying more often than not, so Silk Scarf was a much happer (and stylish) relacement.

I'll be making a threat list below (It's 3AM as I'm typing this) to better outline some of the problems I've been having.

Rate away!

Thanks,
Steele

Reserved For Threat List
Black - Not a Threat
Blue - Minor Threat
Red - Major Threat

NOTE: Because Wobbuffet qwns All Scarfers, I'm not mentioning them unless they specifically give me trouble.

Arceus - This deal guy deserves both colors because some forms are easier to deal with than others, while others require no thinking to kill.
MAIN PROBLEM-FORMS: Bulky Ground, Ghost, and Opposing Extreme Killer. Bulky Grounds aren't OHKOd by E-Speed, and cripple with W-o-W. Ghosts, same thing, but can be KO'd by Shadow Claw with 2 boosts. Opposing Extreme Killers aren't KO'd if they get a chance to set-up, and then its game over from there.

Darkrai - Lead Darkrais get owned by Scarf Mewtwo every time. Also owned by Scizor every time. Lots of owning goin on here.

Deoxys-A - Usually can put a solid dent in the team, but usually anti leads are crippled by Trick Mewtwo, and then switch to an appropriate counter since they're locked into one move. Bullet Punch demolishes otherwise.

Dialga - Never been that big of a threat, Kyogre generally walls and burns the Bulk Up sets, mixed are walled by Ferrothorn in the rain (Bar they hold Brick break), Mewtwo's Aura Shpere and Scizors Superpower usually put solid dents in Dialga.

Giratina - Arceus can't hit with E-Speed, but can KO with one SD and a Shadow Claw, depending on the variant. Opponents like to lead against Mewtwo only to be tricked a Scarf, ruining their Giratina. Generally checked by Ferrothorn, but doesn't like being burned. Kyogre can usually check and set-up.

Giratina-O - Same as Giratina, but I prefer to wall it with Ferrothorn or Kyogre. Can be a big of a handful that needs to go down in order to sweep.

Groudon - Anti-Leads are qwned by Trick-Scarf Mewtwo as they set up rocks, Rock Polish is qwned by a Kyogre Switch in and then a Scald if they're dumb enough to stay in.

Ho-Oh - With rocks, owned instantly by Kyogre. Without Rocks, still kinda walled by Kyogre. Ho-oh needs Regeneration released from the DW before it becomes a major powerhouse in Uber territory.

Kyogre - Specs Kyogre Demolishes my team (bar Ferrothorn) without a second thought. As I just said, Ferrothorn is my best bet against Specs Kyogre, sometimes Kyogre is a reliable counter if I can get a few Calm Minds up before it Thunders me. Honestly though, if Ferrothorn is down, and it hasn't taken prior damage, Specs Water Spout demolishes my team. Scizor and Arceus can hit it before it can fully sets up a sweep, but usually with sacrificing one of them.

Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Zekrom

Non-Ubers:
Blaziken
Blissey
Chansey
Deoxys
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Ditto
Doryuuzu
Dugtrio
Espeon
Erufuun
Forretress
Garchomp
Gengar
Genosect
Heatran
Heracross
Jirachi
Kingdra
Kyurem
Latias
Latios
Lucario
Ludicolo
Manaphy
Mew
Metagross
Nattorei
Octillery
Sazandora
Scizor
Shandera
Shedinja
Skarmory
Tentcruel
Terrakion
Tyranitar
Ulgamoth
Victini
Wobbuffett

Your Forrothorn set is odd because you should not have thunder wave and gyro ball on the same set as they are counter productive. You mentioned that you don't know to choose Spikes or Stealth rock, but I think you should use both by replacing thunder wave with Spikes, I am sure they are legal together.

I also suggest replace Scizor with a scarf Garchomp or scarf Terrakion because having two 4x fire weak pokemon on the same team is no good, Scizor is not very effective this generation in uber anyway imo because it doesn't have to check lati@ twins anymore and both of the two new uber destroy it.

hope this help!

I was looking at your team wondering what the heck is missing. Your team is Uber yet there is not a single Dragon on it. That is pretty impressive, but just because they are overused doesn't mean you should avoid them(if that was your reasoning). Scizor seems a little misplaced. Change it for either Palkia or Giratina. Palkia will rip things to shreds in the rain, and you can try to scarf him. Giratina provides a nice tank/wall (depending on which form) and is the spin blocker of choice in Ubers. I'm not much of an Uber player anymore, but this is just my two sense.

If you really like your Scizor(I know I did), then change its Ability to Techinician first and then replace Wobbuffet for Palkia or Giratina. Wobbuffet usually takes down one Pokemon from their team, but both Palkia and Giratina can be so much more productive for you. Palkia and Giratina should be decent Kyogre counters as well. Palkia can take two Specs Water Spouts in the Rain from a Timid Kyogre at full health. And then it hits back and 2hko's with Thunder. Also, with Palkia or Giratina, you can start spamming some Draco Meteors.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: As for the other pokes:

Mewtwo seems fine. I thought Shadow Ball + Aura Sphere was perfect coverage, but silly me.

Wobbuffet is Wobbuffet.

Kyogre could probably use the extra power from Surf to sweep things. Even one Calm Mind is mind blowing with Surf. Also, I would use a Lum Berry over the Chesto, but I do see your reasons. If you get paralyzed, you will have to waste a turn to rest vs. having the Lum Berry heal you up immediately. Also, you can still rest whenever you want and wake up immediately.

Scizor needs Technician as its ability. The EVs are suited for Ubers so I'm not going to touch those.

Nattorei is also good as it is.

Arceus is stylin with that silk scarf.

Overall, your team looks nearly identical to the one I had a while back. But I was using Palkia and a different Kyogre set. Needs more Dragons if you ask me

Your Forrothorn set is odd because you should not have thunder wave and gyro ball on the same set as they are counter productive. You mentioned that you don't know to choose Spikes or Stealth rock, but I think you should use both by replacing thunder wave with Spikes, I am sure they are legal together.
Spikes, Leech Seed and Spikes are illegal together because they are egg moves. Leech Seed is an absolute must, and Thunder Wave is used to benefit the rest of the team, it doesnt matter if Gyro Ball does less damage. I was hoping to get some opinions as to wither Spikes or Stealth Rocks would benefit the rest of the team more.

I also suggest replace Scizor with a scarf Garchomp or scarf Terrakion because having two 4x fire weak pokemon on the same team is no good, Scizor is not very effective this generation in uber anyway imo because it doesn't have to check lati@ twins anymore and both of the two new uber destroy it.

hope this help!
While I agree with you that having two 4x fire Pokes isn't good, I honestly disagree with you that Scizor isn't as good this generation. Ubers has been crawling with Ferrothorn, ExtremeKiller Arceus Darkrai, and Mewtwo since day one. Scizor provides OHKOs on the former two mentioned threats with Superpower and U-turn on the latter. Priority outside of Arceus is invaluable in the Uber Metagame of fast sweepers and boosters. Additionally, both of your suggested Pokes are wrecked by Specs Kyogre, who is the main threat to this team. No mas.

I was looking at your team wondering what the heck is missing. Your team is Uber yet there is not a single Dragon on it. That is pretty impressive, but just because they are overused doesn't mean you should avoid them(if that was your reasoning). Scizor seems a little misplaced. Change it for either Palkia or Giratina. Palkia will rip things to shreds in the rain, and you can try to scarf him. Giratina provides a nice tank/wall (depending on which form) and is the spin blocker of choice in Ubers. I'm not much of an Uber player anymore, but this is just my two sense.

If you really like your Scizor(I know I did), then change its Ability to Techinician first and then replace Wobbuffet for Palkia or Giratina. Wobbuffet usually takes down one Pokemon from their team, but both Palkia and Giratina can be so much more productive for you. Palkia and Giratina should be decent Kyogre counters as well. Palkia can take two Specs Water Spouts in the Rain from a Timid Kyogre at full health. And then it hits back and 2hko's with Thunder. Also, with Palkia or Giratina, you can start spamming some Draco Meteors.
Sweet Jesus thanks for noticing that. Scizors ability should have been Technician, not Swarm. Thanks for telling me. Makes a world of difference. As for replacing Scizor, those sound like legitimate replacements. I wasn't trying to avoid Dragons, its just how the team turned out.

Kyogre could probably use the extra power from Surf to sweep things. Even one Calm Mind is mind blowing with Surf. Also, I would use a Lum Berry over the Chesto, but I do see your reasons. If you get paralyzed, you will have to waste a turn to rest vs. having the Lum Berry heal you up immediately. Also, you can still rest whenever you want and wake up immediately.
I've considered Surf, but in all honesty, the burn from Scald helps tremendously on a Defensive Bulky Kyogre set like this one. The burn hampers physical attackers so Kyogre can set up more Calm Minds and wreck even more. As for Lum vs. Chesto, I remember there was an article waay back when that explained the reasoning behind Chesto on Rest sets. Your argument is very legitimate, because it makes sense: The point of healing with Chesto Rest is to gain immediate recovery, and heal status. With Lum berry you would accomplish curing status immediately, and gain instant recovery. However, in this case, Chesto works better. The point of Lum Berry is to gain instant recovery from status, while the point of Chesto is to gain instant sleep wake-up. Because the set revolves around Kyogre setting up, resting, and then sweeping, I can have the "resting" phase hampered by loosing a Lum Berry due to prior status.

Also, thanks again for spotting Swarm over Technician, extremely stupid mistake on my part.

I've noticed you don't have a wishpasser, and that could be very good for your team as Ferrothorn, Arceus, and Wobbufett all appreciate it. So what do you replace with that? Vaporeon, as it's DW ability has been released. So a Wish/Heal Bell/Protect(or Rest)/Filler could be useful. You could replace that Scizor as having 2 Choiced Pokemon, which is risky.

I've noticed you don't have a wishpasser, and that could be very good for your team as Ferrothorn, Arceus, and Wobbufett all appreciate it. So what do you replace with that? Vaporeon, as it's DW ability has been released. So a Wish/Heal Bell/Protect(or Rest)/Filler could be useful. You could replace that Scizor as having 2 Choiced Pokemon, which is risky.
Unfortunately, Vaporeon is not fit at all for the Uber Metagame, for the sole purpose of everyone running Thunder to check Kyogre. Even though Vaporeon's defenses are great, they won't be taking Thunders coming off of monstorous SpAtt bases found in the Uber metagame.

As for having two choices Pokemon, as long as they're played right and have support from teammates, they can function very well. In fact the purpose of one of my Choiced Pokemon (Mewtwo) is to Trick away his Scarf.

Granted a Wishpasser would benefit the team, Vaporeon is not the right choice.

You might try Brick Break on Arceus over Earthquake. This is because a +2 Brick Break does 85-90% damage on a Ferrothorn while a +4 Earthquake does the same. Also Brick Break means that youre not completely walled by Skarmory which is used by a lot of good players. You can also use a scarf Dialga over that Wobbuffet because Wobbuffet can be played around with good prediction and a scarf Dialga is really good in revenge killing a boosted Extremekiller Arceus which might give this team problems(even though you have Scizor)

You might try Brick Break on Arceus over Earthquake. This is because a +2 Brick Break does 85-90% damage on a Ferrothorn while a +4 Earthquake does the same. Also Brick Break means that youre not completely walled by Skarmory which is used by a lot of good players. You can also use a scarf Dialga over that Wobbuffet because Wobbuffet can be played around with good prediction and a scarf Dialga is really good in revenge killing a boosted Extremekiller Arceus which might give this team problems(even though you have Scizor)
Brick break sounds like an excellent addition because Earthquake is used to check Steel Types, but as you said, Most Steels in the Uber Metagame (Skarm, Scizor, Forry, Ferrothorn) take neutral or are immune to EQ, so I'll deffinatley place Brick Break over it. Give it a test run, see how it handles.

I'll try out that Scarfed Dialgia, because I do have a problem with E-Killer Arceus, although Wobbuffet is pivotal in taking out Lugia, who walls this team completely. I'll give it a try though. Thanks for the input! :D

Unfortunately, Vaporeon is not fit at all for the Uber Metagame, for the sole purpose of everyone running Thunder to check Kyogre. Even though Vaporeon's defenses are great, they won't be taking Thunders coming off of monstorous SpAtt bases found in the Uber metagame.

As for having two choices Pokemon, as long as they're played right and have support from teammates, they can function very well. In fact the purpose of one of my Choiced Pokemon (Mewtwo) is to Trick away his Scarf.

Granted a Wishpasser would benefit the team, Vaporeon is not the right choice.
If you ARE gonna use a wish passer, try blissey because you get more HP passed.
Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)