Dual-Weather

Hello, Powergo1 here with my 1st RMT, and I have decided to do a dual weather team. This started off with a core of Mega Charizard Y and Politoed, and uses both of their weather effects to their and their teammates' own advantage. After some advice from garchomp11111, I have made some changes

The team:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Solar Beam

This is the sun setter, and is designed to sweep parts of teams, OHKOing or 2HKOing most pokemon. Fire Blast hits hard with sun boosted STAB, Solar Beam hits defensive water types, such as Jellicent or Milotic, and Air Slash and Dragon Pulse is there for coverage. This requires Stealth Rocks not to be up, however, as 50% health off on switch in is not nice.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

The Smooth Rock increases the amount of time sand is up. Pursuit is for any pokemon who might switch out, and earthquake and crunch are for stab. Stealth Rock is to damage incoming Pokemon. The nature and IVs means it has good defences. By having sand up, its team mates gets increased defenses

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Defog
- Swords Dance

I decided to use Scizor as my hazards remover. Defog is self-explanatory, Swords Dance is used to boost up my attack. Bug Bite is used for 90 BP stab, and Bullet Punch is used to finish opposing pokemon off. This prefers rain to be up, as it reduces damage from SE fire attacks. THis also works well with Charizard, as it removes Stealth Rock.

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

I have replaced Azumarill with Alakazam as I needed a special attacker that fits in well with sand. This set uses LO boosted moves to hit nearly all foes super-effectively, and Magic Guard means it doesn't take sand damage.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- King's Shield

I then changed Aegislash to a physical set, as SD is a more reliable way to set up than Weakness Policy. I usually go for a SD, then attack. Shadow Sneak is used for priority, and Iron Head is for more STAB
Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Finally, I have my Physical Sweeper, Terrakion. This is designed to set up on walls and sweep. Jolly nature is for an increased speed. Swords Dance is used to boost the attack to sky high levels. Sacred Sword is used over Close Combat for the lack of the defences lowering. Then there is EdgeQuake for more coverage, securing OHKOs and 2HKOs on opposing pokemon.

Thanks for reading this, so please give your opinion on this, and any improvements will be welcome.

Last edited:
Well you don't use your weather very well.Azumarill's aqua jet and waterfall are going to hit pretty lame in sun.I suggest to remove a weather pokemon.If you like dual weather,then try using sand.It works better for your team.

Terrakion's bulk is not very high but sacred sword misses many OHKOs and close combat is going to KO anyway.

Shadow Sneak is a must-have for aegislash.And SD set is better.Shadow Sneak+King's Sheild+Iron Head/Sacred Sword+Swords Dance set is amazing.

U-turn is better than bug bite.You should have some coverage instead of SD.There are thousands of steels(Skarmory,Ferrothron,Forrestress)and you are toasted against them.

I suggest to remove politoed for t-tar or hippowdon.4 of your pokemon immune sand(Including charizard y cause of drought)and terrakion favours the sp.def boost.You can run sacred sword in sand.

Hope my suggestions help!

Ok, i'll try doing a sand team

I'll change Politoed to a Ttar set as such:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit

The Smooth Rock increases the amount of time sand is up. Pursuit is for any pokemon who might switch out, and Stone Edge and crunch are for stab. Stealth Rock is to damage incoming Pokemon. The nature and IVs means it has good defenses

Last edited:
WARNING! LONG ASS RATE INCOMING!
What's going on powergo1, the dual weather is a really strong team at the moment, but unfortunately some of your sets needs to be replaced. The first one we will discuss is your Mega Charizard-Y. This Pokemon is hella strong and too many teams are unprepared for it. It does have a number of checks and counters though, and a better move set can help minimize them. Try running Focus Blast over Dragon Pulse for the Heatran and Tyranitar who would otherwise destroy you. AV TTar in sand still take a beating from Focus Blast and the same goes for specially defensive Heatran. Dragon Pulse only hits dragons hard and Fire Blast in the sun hits them for more damage than it should. In addition to changing Dragon Pulse you should also consider changing Air Slash to Roost. With Roost you increase your longevity and can brush off the Stealth Rocks damage as they swap out to counter your swap in. Mega Charizard-Y forces a ton of switches so getting a Roost off isn't hard in the slightest.

Regarding Tyranitar, change the item from Smooth Rock to Leftovers. The sand doesn't need to be up for that long, you use TTar do beat Pokemon like special Thundurus, Lati@s, and Mega Charizard-Y to some extent as well. Adding Leftovers as the item allows TTar more staying power as well as giving him some reliable recovery, something walls and tanks dream of having. Stone Edge is preferable to Earthquake simply to the fact that you do more neutral damage to thinks like Mega Venusaur and Azumarill while doing super effective damage to things like Mega Pinsir, flying typed dragons, and Mamoswine.

On to the Scizor. You are oddly in the middle of the utility Defog set and the Swords Dance sweep set. I suggest changing your set to the full utility Defog set that I will link at the end of the RMT. With this set you are able to scout out moves and U-turn into favorable match-ups. Recover from some of the damage you were taking as well as hit hard with a priority Bullet Punch. Using this set allows you to stay alive longer so as to continuously provide Defog support to your Char-Y.

Alakazam is an excellent revenge killer and can smash set up sweepers. In order to do these things he does need a focus sash. Try changing Life Orb to Focus Sash on him to let him act as a revenge kill, and ensure that he gets off a HUGE hit before dying. What you lose in power you gain in utility. Also Alakazam isn't exactly the bulkiest Pokemon around so having a sash really helps it to never get OHKO'd.

Your Aegislash set is alright, but certainly not the greatest. Physical Aegislash is utterly outclassed by the mixed version. I suggest swapping to the Mixed Aegislash set as it is more reliable, has fewer checks and counters, forces a lot more switches, and requires absolutely no set up to do well. The set differences are Shadow Ball over Swords Dance, Spooky Plate over Leftovers, and the EV spread should look like the following: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk. Given that you will spam Shadow Ball more than any other move you have, the max special attack is really handy. Spooky Plate only increases this damage as well as gives your Shadow Sneak a nice boost.

As a whole your team has 0 ice moves and lacks dragon/Landorus/Gliscor coverage. That being said you can try running Hidden Power Ice over Swords Dance on Terrakion. The reasoning is simply coverage for Pokemon that your team didn't have covered before. It allows you to bypass Pokemon that typically wall you, example - Gliscor, and surprise KO them with an unexpected HP Ice. The second change to make to your Terrakion is Close Combat over Sacred Sword. You need the power to absolutely demolish teams and Sacred Sword just isn't cutting it. No reason to use it when you have access to a NUKE in the form of Close Combat.

With these changes your team should run a whole lot smoother. Good luck in the future and don't be afraid to ask if you need some more help.
Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

I dont think 2 steel types on a sun team is a good idea, on a rain team maybe. Rock-ground or things that want to reduce water damage would be better.

You use Mega Charizard-Y's sun for ITself, not for its teammates, so that IT can sweep by ITself. It doesn't matter what its teammates are because they will not be using the sun to begin with. Char-Y comes out sets up sun sweeps or kill at least 2-3 pokemon and swaps out. It is not meant to be played as something that just sets up sun for teammates; that would be called Ninetails.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)