Other Dual Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
The one popular instance where dual weather is viable is Tyranitar + Mega Charizard-Y. While this doesn't really capitalize on Tyranitar's sand, it does fit the strategy of dual weather because there are weather setters on one team. Anyway, onto the core itself. The Lati twins are Mega Charizard-Y's most common answer on offensive teams, as they and they alone have the typing and bulk to tank MCY's hits on such archetypes (CBBNite is also viable but generally downs momentum in my limited experience with using it on offense). This is where Tyranitar comes in; it can easily switch into and Pursuit-trap both Lati twins, letting MCY freely spam Fire Blast and roast anything that switches into it. Furthermore, Tyranitar can also be used as a sacrifice to re-activate MCY's sun, which is useful if MCY has run out of sun turns and it desperately needs the power boost to its Fire STAB or the negation of Solar Beam's charge turn.

So yeah, that's really the only instance I can actually see dual weather being viable in this generation. I guess Hippowdon + MCY can also work but Tyranitar has Pursuit so it's cooler :>

Weather duration is redundant on dual weather teams.
Weather does not need to be abused offensively. Dual weather can be used defensively, cutting damage from fire attacks from charizard formes who switch into your sunny weather with drizzle; cut the scald damage on an enemy support pokemon so u can set up subs on it with drought.

Terrakion is a nice pokemon which is independant of weather, and is fast enough to stop charX's flare blitz before u set up the sun. It can even outspeed and stop it at +1!

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 213-252 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It also can take charY's fire blast in the sun and proceed to ohko with stone edge.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion in Sun: 170-201 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given that you're using politoed it's unlikely that X will flare blitz though, and Y is not going to lock itself into a pitifully weak solarbeam, so that can be taken advantage of.

This is just a small example of how u can use weather to stop potential sweeps, but since very few people have experimented with it it obviously is a very challenging playstyle to use.

Last edited:
midend--the Terrakion must have a scarf to outspeed Charizard-X at +1 Speed. Also, if facing Sand or Rain, all of the common weather inducers are weak to Grass-type moves, making Shaymin and Celebi decent checks. Others such as Breloom and [gimmicky] Torterra can also work, but they need to be wary of the Tyranitar and Politoed sets that carry Ice Beam.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Double weather is only a thing in Char Y teams which often have TTar or Hippowdon. The sand resets Char Y's sun turns, giving it the maximum turns to do what it wants.

Other double weather is silly. There's no reason to use TTar or Hippowdon on a rain team, and sun is mediocre at best.

midend--the Terrakion must have a scarf to outspeed Charizard-X at +1 Speed. Also, if facing Sand or Rain, all of the common weather inducers are weak to Grass-type moves, making Shaymin and Celebi decent checks. Others such as Breloom and [gimmicky] Torterra can also work, but they need to be wary of the Tyranitar and Politoed sets that carry Ice Beam.
Then add Venusaur or sap sipper as core.

Well i'm talking about scarf terrakion - you're definitely not going to use any other terrakion on double weather team, as it is too prone to setup sweepers

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
I think sun and sand Dual wether is good since i use excradrill as my Spinner and hippodown as my setter with sand stream helps me to sweep sometimes and i have charizard mega Y with drought has my special sweeper but it was workiing good in lower rank but when i reached in 1500 this team did not worked for me good since many people use stall in higher rank so i think its good in lower rank but it will get no use in higher rank.

I recently made a team with Tyranitar, Mega Charizard Y and Specs Politoed on the same team and it has been working pretty well for me (though I'm still rather low on the ladder since I don't get to battle much on Showdown).
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Mega Charizard Y and Politoed are a great special wallbreaking core, while T-tar and Excadrill use their physical firepower to tear down walls. Slowbro and Amoonguss are there to wall Keldeo, Landorus, and other fast Pokemon and wallbreakers. I should probably replace one of them with a fast physical attacker of some sort like Weavile, Tornadus-T or Scarf Staraptor.
Here is the team in action:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167840187

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I recently made a team with Tyranitar, Mega Charizard Y and Specs Politoed on the same team and it has been working pretty well for me (though I'm still rather low on the ladder since I don't get to battle much on Showdown).
Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Mega Charizard Y and Politoed are a great special wallbreaking core, while T-tar and Excadrill use their physical firepower to tear down walls. Slowbro and Amoonguss are there to wall Keldeo, Landorus, and other fast Pokemon and wallbreakers. I should probably replace one of them with a fast physical attacker of some sort like Weavile, Tornadus-T or Scarf Staraptor.
Here is the team in action:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167840187
Your opponent used Shell Bell Lando-T and Torkoal. A victory there proves nothing.

I personally love dual weather, and i think sun and sand are by far the ones who compliments each other the best! here are the reasons:

-Sand removes the added fire power of sun
-Sand removes the water nerf in sun
-Sand removes the effect of chlorophyll
-Sun removes the residual damage sand allows
-Sun removes the added spdef of rock type pokemon
-Sun removes the effect of sand rush
-Both can remove rain, meaning they will match a LOT better against rain teams, than mono weather

About the core.

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
Drought wallbreaker zard Y is the best sun inducer in the game, unless you go with full sun (which is almost non-exiting) where heat rock ninetales could be the better options. standard set, fire/grass is the main coverage and focus blast is to hit ttar and heatran which otherwise wall it.

Other options: Dragon Pulse ; Earthquake ; Focus Punch

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake/Superpower

Tyranitar does not only add the aid of sand, it also have very good synergy with charizard, being able to trap the latis which is a pain for zard, scarftar is the best set with zard, as it additionally checks flying spam (lacking scarf cc staraptor) and thundurus, something zard really appreciates gone.

Other options: Ice Beam ; Fire blast ; Rock Slide

Why is this core so usefull? I think its mainly because these two pokemon aids each other very well, even outside of weather, while also helping each other taking full advantage of the weather they endues, as opposing excadrill takes advantage of the sand, easily removed by zard (though be careful not to switch into rock slide) and sun hurts keldeo, no problem thanks to ttar. You can easily fit weather sweepers, such as exca into the core. Ill list how the core works against different play styles.

-Stall: fares pretty well, especially when pared with keldeo and sr support, as zard can 2hko everything on stall except chansey, which is pretty easy to nail with pursuit trapping and sr damage.
-HO: sand sweeping excadrill have a nice mathup, and zard can usally pull its wight, thanks to decent bulk and speed. same goes with ttar.
-Heavy offence: If it lacks heatran, charizard melts it like butter.
-Sand: pretty decent, as zard can remove sand
-Rain: its not all that hard when you have two rain removers
-TR: not really favorable unless you can prevent the setup

Obviously it all comes down to what you pares the core with, but i think i got it pretty decent with the core of dual weather, and a bit more in the depth than the other posts ^~^

-Excadrill: best sand sweeper, and reliable spinner
-Keldeo: Nice synergy with zard, also apreciates ttars support.
-Lando-T: Nice SR setter that can check a lot of the physical meta.
-Mew: nice check to a lot of common mons
-Latios: Best defog user
-Garchomp: nice SR setter
-Thundurus: prankster twave is nice, decent offensive synergy
-Starmie: good spinner
-Might have forgot a lot, name them and ill include

Thanks for reading, here's a cute picture of the two ^^

Yeah, as many people have said, dual weather itself is practically non-existent outside of ttar/zard Y cores, which allow you to constantly reset the other poke's weather as you come in. However, a rain/hail core is actually viable as well, but much more difficult to pull off. The core there would be politoed/abomasnow, which also reset each other's weathers and allow you to constantly check different threats back and forth. (switch politoed in on predicted fire moves aimed at abomasnow, and abomasnow in on predicted grass/electric moves aimed at poli) This is a much more niche team, but could still be as effective, as there are plenty of rain abusers to choose from, and hail is just annoying for everyone. I wouldn't really go so far as to say that dual weather is a playstyle, though; It's more of a core than a playstyle. Dual weather cores such as ttar/char y or politoed/abomasnow can be slapped on teams that don't even have other pokes to abuse the weather with if you wanted, as it is terribly limiting to restrict yourself only to team members that can abuse your weather conditions. And realistically, these are the only two dual weather cores that are worth using, with the only exception being the option to sub out ttar for hippo on the ttar/char Y core.

However, with all that said, I've used both cores to some decent success before, so even though I wouldn't exactly call it a 'playstyle', a dual weather core is a valid teambuilding option that can be effective, so if you haven't tried one, you should definitely look into them.

So far dual weather hasn't been a play style (as stated above) so much as a product of synergy among pokemon, like, as stated above, Charizard y and pursuit ttar. The reason for this is because its very hard to have dedicated weather sweeper when one of your pokemon takes away the thing it needs the most. In order to make dual weather work, your setter need to actually be useful beyond being a weather setting as having two team slots dedicated to just weather setting is impractical in this metagame, and will leave gaping holes in your team. That is why it seems zardy and ttar is the most common if not only viable dual weather core as they maintain defensive/offensive synergy and usability beyond being just weather setters. In regards to their usability, that's not to say you can't have pokemon that don't benefit from that weather, and pokemon that benefit, such as excadrill, who benefits from tyrannitar, and is still usable outside of weather. Not even just ability sweepers either. Weathers such as rain, sand, and sun that decrease the power of certain types/increase sp def are useful defensively, and could be used to let something set up on a usual check or counter. But as dedicated weather offense with two setters goes, that's simply unviable, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)