Dunsparce

Name: Dunsparce
Type: Normal
Abilities: Run Away: Useless
Serene Grace: Doubles the chances of a move having a second effect.
Dream World: Self-Conscious: When battling certain types, your speed will raise.
Stats:
HP
Att 70
Def 70
SpA 65
SpD 65
Spe 45

Code:
[I]Level Up[/I]
1. Rage
4. Defense Curl 
8. Yawn
12. Glare
16. Rollout
20. Spite
24. Pursuit
28. Screech
33. Roost
38. Take Down
43. Coil
48. Ancient Power
53. Dig
58. Endeavor
63. Flail

[I]TMs / HMs
[/I]04. Calm Mind
06. Toxic
10. Hidden Power
11. Sunny Day
13. Ice Beam
14. Blizzard
17. Protect
18. Rain Dance
21. Frustration
22. Solarbeam
24. Thunderbolt
25. Thunder
26. Earthquake
27. Return
28. Dig
30. Shadow Ball
32. Double Team
35. Flamethrower
38. Fire Blast
39. Rock Tomb
42. Facade
44. Rest
45. Attract
46. Thief
48. Sing A Round
57. Charge Beam
59. Incinerate
67. Vengeance
73. Thunder Wave
74. Gyro Ball
77. Psych Up 
78. Level Ground
80. Rock Slide
84. Poison Jab
85. Dream Eater
87. Swagger
90. Substitute
93. Wild Bolt
94. Rock Smash
004. Strength

[I]Egg Moves
[/I]Bide
Ancientpower
Bite
Headbutt
Astonish
Curse
Trump Card
Magic Coat
Snore
Agility
Secret Power
Sleep Talk
Evil Eye
Hey, remember Dunsparce, that odd little bug... drill... snake... thing, that was NU's answer to Jirachi back in gen 4. Well he's back again this gen, and better than ever. He's got quite a lot to play around with nowadays, and can make for a lot of fun. Don't expect to see him on any serious teams, but if an UU tier does get created, he might be able to find his way around. Here's a few of his better new options.

Snake? SNAKE? Snnaaaakkkeeee!!!
Dunsparce @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD
Serene Grace
Adamant

Coil
Body Slam / Glare
Bite / Rock Slide / Headbutt
Earthquake / Aqua Tail / Roost

Ahhh yes, the good ol' para flinch from hell trick, now new and improved. Dunsparce is one of the few pokemon that get access to the great move Snake coil, and it can use it to decent effect. Its kind of bulky, so the defense boost helps, and it could always use the attack and accuracy. The next choice is the obvious paralysis inducer. Body slam is the obvious choice, due to 60% paralysis chance and decent power, but glare is a nice option too this gen. It now has 90% accuracy (100% after a coil), and can hit ghosts now if I'm not mistaken. The rest of the moves compliment the set. The 3rd move gives dunsparce that great flinching potential, and the last is either a strong back up move or a decent recover move (so it can abuse the defense boosts). Of course you could just opt to use another flinch move in the last slot as well.

Drill into the LEAD
Dunsparce @ Focus Sash / Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Spe
Serene Grace / Self Conscious
Adamant

Magic Coat
Yawn / Glare
Counter / Stealth Rocks / Rock Slide
Endeavor / Headbutt

This set can really mess with the opponents lead if played right. The moves are pretty self explanatlory, magic coat got that nice boon this generation, status of choice, and then head screwers. Counter destroys physical leads, and endeavor can possibly cripple the switch in after (though its really slow so I doubt that could happen). Stealth rock is a nice move if your team needs it, and headbutt / rock slide help flinch. Self conscious could be an interesting option (raises your speed if hit by dark ghost or bug), but he misses out on some nice perks, like counter, stealth rock, and even headbutt (though you wouldn't be using that on the same set). Still it gets a mention as it is more useful if you opt not to run glare.

Calm Little Dunsparce
Dunsparce @ Lefties
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Serene Grace
Bold

Calm Mind
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Roost

As silly as this set sounds... it actually has decent potential in the (very) low tiers. Dunsparce's SpA is only 5 less than his regular attack after all, and he gets much more powerful moves in his special move pool (though no decent stab). Not much else to say... its as simple as it gets.

Man, you really can't get over just how weird this guy is can ya? He's like the larva of an angel crossed with a mole. Anyways, Dunsparce isn't gonna see the light of OU anywhere in the near future. But, like many previous NU's, he did get a few redeeming features this generation that may help him pull himself somewhat out of the bottom of the barrel, into somewhere about halfway up. That being said, lets here your opinion on dunsparce, the mighty destroyer.

Ah, Dunsparce was always my favourite little haxy bastard.
Self Conscious could be nice on the CM set, possibly getting a Speed boost to help it (lol)sweep.
That lead set looks interesting, I might try it.
Dunsparce got very nice additions this Gen, but I could've sworn it learnt Air Slash...

Ah, Dunsparce was always my favourite little haxy bastard.
Self Conscious could be nice on the CM set, possibly getting a Speed boost to help it (lol)sweep.
That lead set looks interesting, I might try it.
Dunsparce got very nice additions this Gen, but I could've sworn it learnt Air Slash...
I was thinking of Self-Conscious helping but then I did a double take and looked at its speed stat. Maybe in the lower tiers, though?

I love Dunny, he's so bizarre...

Dunsparce is epic. Glare getting 90% accuracy was great for him, as now he ha a reliable way to paralyse ground-types. Does he get Drill Liner?

He doesn't get Drill Liner, which is strange since it fits him pretty well.

He doesn't need it, though, since he learns Earthquake if you want a Ground move.

Pokemon with Drill Liner have some kind of drills, not just be able to dig.

Anyway, on topic. Coil is a nice addition to Dunsparce, but let's face it Dunsparce isn't going to sweep any time soon.

Does anyone know exactly how self-conscious works? as in against which type it raises speed? and by how much. It seems meh anyway.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Meh, the problem with Self-conscious is that if you have it, you can't have Serene Grace, which IMO is the biggest draw to Dunsparce since he has the perfect movepool for it.

I think the CoilSlam set looks pretty good though, since it actually takes advantage of Dunsparce's bulk while also giving Rock Slide 100% accuracy. It's also worth noting that Dunsparce is the only Coil user that has a 50% recovery move, which is pretty handy.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Leingodf8, always making a thread about bad but cool pokémon...

Anyway, in the CM set, I prefer to use Charge Beam over CM because opens more coverage against Magneton and other things. Something like Flamethrower or Shadow Ball instead of Thunderbolt if opted for Charge Beam.

And in the wonderful Coil set, Careful nature seems perfect viable because after a Coil, your opponent may use Special moves against you.

Good point about Self-Conscious...you lose the crux of why Dunsparce would be used in general.

I like Coil on it, it doesn't seem like much of a gimmick either. It's got decent enough defenses to take neutral physical attacks, too.

I remember seeing a Coil Dunsparce while lurking the forums, and I thought it was a great idea.

Dunsparce @ Leftovers
(Don't remember the EVs, but it should be specially bulky)
Serene Grace
Calm

~Rock Slide
~Glare / Body Slam
~Coil
~Roost / Thunder wave

Coil up to increase your defense and beef up your attacks a bit, then paralyze everything with Body Slam / Glare, and maybe Twave if you want to stick it to those Ghost types. Then, after a sufficient amount of boosts, start flinching everyone to death with a boosted attack.

Rock slide is the preferred flinching move since it hits everything in the game (even Shedninja!) and it's accuracy problem is remedied by coil. Headbutt could work it's way in the second slot if you have some paralysis support.

A more offensive set is possible but...it's Dunsparce.

The little snake is pretty badass and coil isn't a bad addition to his movepool, however he screams of moveslot syndrome to me. Between the paralysis move, main flinch/secondary coverage flinch you only have room left for either Roost or Coil and Dunsparce always had Curse but we never saw that taking off.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Curse is useless because after a Curse you are so slow that even paralysed Pokemon will outspeed you and then you can't flinch them.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Outside of stuff like Gyro Ball and Trick Room shenanigans, there is absolutely no reason to run Curse over Coil. Coil even has more base PP.

It actually gets decent defenses, and with roost can last a while. Don't underestimate 100 base HP. Definitely run Body Slam over Glare, you don't have room for both a stab and a paralysis move, though ghosts give him trouble. By extension, run Rock slide for coverage (because bite has like 20 BP) and coil and roost.

Also has Agility. Jirachi lite?

I think u shud kno that Self-Conscious (Rattled in English) activates only when HIT by a Bug, Ghost, or Dark move.

I almost fell off my ass when I learned that Dunsparce can Roost...

You actually make Dunsparce look like a viable option in RU. I never thought I'd say that.
moogleknig said:
No mention of Rock Smash yet? Hit something on the switch in, Defence drops, proceed to (...) sweep.
It would be sooo embarrassing to get dunsparce sweeped.

Just a note: Blissey pure outclasses the Calm Mind set. ;)
Maybe in OU, but in NU he's... uniquer.

I am so going to try the lead set though, like most people I completely forgot he got Magic Coat!

As to Rock Smash vs. Screech, doesn't Rock Smash have a 50% chance of lowering defense? In that case the only thing you'd be guaranteeing was a bit of damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)