Dwebble

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus

Name: Ishizumai (イシズマイ)
National Dex Number: 557
Type: Bug / Rock
Abilities: Sturdy, Shell Armor, Broken Armor (Dream World)
Egg Groups: Bug, Mineral

Base Stats (Min - Max)
HP: 50 (20 - 24)
Attack: 65 (9 - 17)
Defense: 85 (11 - 19)
Special Attack: 35 (7 - 14)
Special Defense: 35 (7 - 14)
Speed: 55 (9 - 16)

Level Up Moves:
Lv1: Fury Cutter, Lv5: Rock Blast, Lv7: Withdraw, Lv11: Sand-Attack, Lv13: Faint Attack, Lv17: [M479] Knock Down, Lv19: Rock Polish, Lv23: Bug Bite, Lv24: Stealth Rock, Lv29: Rock Slide, Lv31: Slash, Lv35: X-Scissor, Lv37: [M504] Shell Break, Lv41: Flail, Lv43: Rock Wrecker

Egg Moves:
Endure
Iron Defense
Night Slash
Sand Tomb
Counter
Curse
Spikes
Block

TMs and HMs:
TM01 - Claw Sharpen, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM17 - Protect, TM21 - Frustration, TM22 - Solar Beam, TM23 - Strike Down, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM32 - Double Team, TM37 - Sandstorm, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM65 - Shadow Claw, TM69 - Rock Polish, TM71 - Stone Edge, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM76 - Bug Resistance, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM81 - X-Scissor, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM04 - Strength

For such a small Pokemon, Ishizumai leaves a big first impression. It's typing of Bug / Rock is not a first for Little Cup. Ishizumai's fellow crustacean, Anorith, was the first Pokemon to possess this interesting type. As such, Anorith is going to be the Pokemon most people will compare Ishizumai to, and for good reason. Despite their very different stats, the two are surprisingly alike.

Defensively, Ishizumai is much better on the physical side, with 50 / 85 / 35 defenses, while Anorith is more bulky on the special side, with 45 / 50 / 50 defenses. Both of them get a 1.5x SpDef boost from SandStorm, which they both appreciate greatly. Anorith has fantastic support options that Ishizumai doesn't possess, like Rapid Spin and Knock Off. But Ishizumai brings something very, very good to the table that Anorith would kill to have: Spikes. Access to dual hazards, (Stealth Rock being the other) its ability Sturdy and those decent defenses are the right ingredients that create a good lead and/or support Pokemon. Combine the Substitute braking Rock Blast, the "chemical X", if you will, and you got a Powerpuff Pokemon. However, while Ishizumai's Speed is decent, the hermit crab would kill for Anorith's 18 Speed. Overall, Ishizumai's access to dual hazards and Bug Bite make it a better support Pokemon.

While Ishizumai is better defensively, can it top Anorith offensively? Anorith's astouding base 95 Attack and great base 75 Speed are already deadly, but combine that with Rock Polish and Swords Dance, Anorith is one hell of a sweeper. But Anorith suffers from problems as a sweeper. Lack of Earthquake and Stone Edge was always holding Anorith back. And, as spit in the face, Ishizumai gets them both. Ishizumai is clearly physical like Anorith, with base 65 Attack and 55 Speed, and also possesses Rock Polish and Swords Dance. It's new move, Shell Break, even boosts both its Attack and Speed, at the cost of lowering its defenses. The difference is Anorith is stronger and faster, while Ishizumai has a much, much better attacking movepool, including options like X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Night Slash, Aerial Ace and (lol) Rock Wrecker. Does this make Ishizumai better? At Speed boosting, hell yeah. But as an immediate attacking or Swords Dance boosting, Anorith's higher Speed will more often than not make it the better choice.

Comparison from Anorith aside, Ishizumai is a great Pokemon in its own right. Sturdy gives it pretty much an auto-Focus Sash, which is always great in Little Cup. It's Bug / Rock-typing and support options make it a great addition to any SandStorm teams. And its movepool is without a doubt nothing less than great. It's low SpDef and only average Speed hold Ishizumai back, but SandStorm and Rock Polish can help fix that. Lack of instant recovery hurts as well, but Berry Juice can even somewhat fix that.

All being said, Ishizumai is the dark horse among the stallions like Kibago, Aaken and Zuruggu. Definitely expect to see this hermit crab from time to time, and always prepare your teams for it.

Sets:

Name: Support
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD
Item: Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
~ Rock Blast
~ Earthquake

A physically defensive support set. This set can, in theory, be used as either a lead or midgame. Stealth Rock and Spikes are obvious choices, supporting both offensive and defensive teams. Rock Blast and Earthquake get near unresisted coverage, making them great choices. Hippopotas is a great teammate, boosting Ishizumai's poor Special Defense.

Name: Hermes Crab
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Item: Berry Juice
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
~ Rock Polish
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ X-Scissor / Swords Dance

Ishizumai straps on its winged sandals in an attempt to sweep. Rock Polish boosts its speed to 30 (32 with Jolly), allowing to outpace most Choice Scarf users. Earthquake and Stone Edge create the beloved QuakeEdge coverage, something poor Anorith would die (again) for. X-Scissor is a great STAB option to have, hitting Bronzor for neutral damage. Swords Dance can be used to boost its Attack along with its Speed, giving Ishizumai the potentially to utterly decimate teams. Hippopotas provides Stealth Rock and SandStorm support, making it a good teammate.

Name: Oxymoron
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpDef
Item: Liechi Berry
Nature: Jolly
~ Rock Polish
~ Flail
~ Earthquake
~ X-Scissor

How can something be sturdy and flail around at the same time? I have no idea, but somehow Ishizumai does it. This set is the definition of high-risk, high-reward. Sturdy leaves Ishizumai at 1 HP, activating Liechi. You use Rock Polish the turn the foe leaves you at 1 HP. Then, you attempt to sweep with +1 Attack and +2 Speed. Flail is an obvious choice, sporting insane base power at 1 HP. Earthquake and X-Scissor provide great coverage and STAB, respectively. Levitating Ghost-types wall this, so be warned. Also, this set leaves Ishizumai extremely vulnerable to priority. Some may call this a gimmick, I call it creativity.

Name: Shell Break
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Item: White Herb (?)
Nature: Jolly
~ Shell Break
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ X-Scissor

This set may be subject to change as more info on the move is received. Basically, from what I know, Shell Break lowers your Defense and Special Defense but increases your Speed, Attack and Special Attack. With White Herb, you got a Drugodactyl-like set, but far more deadly. Earthquake, Stone Edge and X-Scissor get perfect coverage in Little Cup, so after Shell Break, Ishizumai should have no problems sweeping. In theory, of course.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
<@Dracoyoshi8> i love my herpes
<@Dracoyoshi8> hermes*

All kidding aside, this thing will seriously be a huge threat in LC. I like this better than Anorith due to the better movepool. Rock Polish will certainly be something to watch out for, as if Gligar is removed this thing will run RAMPANT. Flail is meh imo, priority is way too common and stuff will kill it fast. Sturdy is cool I guess, another edge over Anorith. This will probably be a top 20 threat come LC B/W.

Huh, I thought broken Armour was (-Atk, +Spe). If the OP's one is the right one thats certainly a much better ability than I had thought

I'd still run Life Orb on that set for the extra Attack power rather than keeping defenses. It has sturdy anyway...

I think in most sets I would go Bug Bite > X-Scissor. I don't think it'll change the damage output much vs Bronzor or other pokemon where you'd use your Bug STAB.

I'm really liking the Shell Break set. I'd probably use it with Hippo because that lack of SpDef is just saddening, and I can picture the poor crab getting revenged by Croagunk (who I except to be common) too often........

Cool sprite, too. !_!

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This little guy has some potential this generation, for sure. I really love the support set, but it might be better to keep it at 21 HP, so Berry Juice and Sturdy can work together to provide what could end up being two Focus Sashes. The similarities to Anorith are definitely there, they're both versatile Pokemon. Hell, Ishizumai shouldn't be too bad of a sweeper with Rock Polish and 17 Attack.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The "oxymoron" set should really run Shell Break over Rock Polish. If the entire purpose is to use Sturdy to get to 1 HP, there's zero reason you should be attempting to sweep from +1 Attack/+2 Speed when you could be attempting to sweep with +3 Atk and +2 Speed.

Moreover, Flail doesn't reach 200 power ever in LC because it's basically impossible to get into the 2%value range. Your best value is going to be 150, so if you're going to Flail you should have as much power behind it as possible. Or since Flail never outpowers STAB Stone Edge, use that or Rock Slide instead.

Weakness to Aqua Jet is a pretty big Achilles Heel for Ishizumai (Bullet Punch not so much), but really, if you're going out out, use Shell Break instead of Rock Polish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)