Earth Hour

Did anyone even participate? From what Ive read on various forums no one really did lol
The whole idea seemed kind of stupid didn't it? I'm not against helping the earth or anything, but what is not using energy (which people rely on) going to do

I read somewhere that it actually uses up more electricity turning the light switches off and on, then it does to keep 'em off for an hour. But I may be wrong.

Nevertheless, it raises awareness, and in the end that's what counts.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nevertheless, it raises awareness, andin the end that's what counts.
I don't understand this. Awareness counts for nothing without action. The whole point of raising awareness of an issue is to let people know that the problem exists with the hope that they will then feel morally obligated to take action.

I don't understand this. Awareness counts for nothing without action. The whole point of raising awareness of an issue is to let people know that the problem exists with the hope that they will then feel morally obligated to take action

Well you're right, sorry if I worded it incorrectly.

Awareness is raised, and because of that, some individuals will hopefully take it up upon themselves to act. In the end, that's what counts.

I read somewhere that it actually uses up more electricity turning the light switches off and on, then it does to keep 'em off for an hour. But I may be wrong.
I think you may be right. Here in New Zealand, more electricity was used during the hour than at the same time on an average saturday. I dunno though, just speculation

I did it. Mainly out of default... I was taking a nap at 8 but I don't think anyone else in my house did anything.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The funny thing was last night I had a powercut. What time was Earth hour exactly?

Holy Hell, my friends dog was so confused during Earth Hour last night. So were his cats. It was pretty damn freaky, due to his house being one of those large and dark kind of places.

Nevertheless, it raises awareness, and in the end that's what counts.
Myth busters tested this... definitely a myth.
The amount of energy it takes to turn a light off/on is about the same as the energy it takes to leave it on for a fraction of a second. Leaving them off definitely takes less energy then turning them on and off unless you're' doing it multiple times a second. Yay Myth Busters!

I didn't participate by the way. Forgot to.

Umm, I didn't really know about this until about 9:30, whenever I saw google changed their appearance in a black and white opposite view of their page. I admit, that looked cool. However, I think the whole idea is just stupid. One hour? That's pretty silly.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Umm, I didn't really know about this until about 9:30, whenever I saw google changed their appearance in a black and white opposite view of their page. I admit, that looked cool. However, I think the whole idea is just stupid. One hour? That's pretty silly.
Then you missed the whole point. What they're trying to get people to realize is how wasteful we are as a nation. If they can just plant the seed in people's heads to be more economically and environmentally responsible, maybe little by little we can turn this joke of a country around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)