Effective Cores in the Doubles metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bumping this thread from the dark depths of Page 2 to post a core I've loved for awhile now:

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 Spd / 252 SAtk / 32 HP / 20 Def
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Basically, what this core does it absolutely shit on Trick Room teams, especially leads. This is because of their access to Sleep Powder and Taunt, respectively, allowing them to prevent the opponent from using Trick Room, even if they lead with two users. Another nice thing is that they both have really nice coverage together, and can KO a lot of Pokemon when they double target, which isn't that hard to do once Venusaur has put Pokemon to sleep. Anyways, their isn't really much else to say about this core except for the fact that I've been using it on a team would be weak to Trick Room under normal circumstances, but these guys just save the day with their excellent supportive and offensive potential.
Nice try, LightningLuxray, but Trick Room can quite easily circumvent this core with Fake Out or Follow Me support with or without TR summoner with Lum Berry/Safety Goggles/Mental Herb/Aroma Veil/Oblivious

Nice try, LightningLuxray, but Trick Room can quite easily circumvent this core with Fake Out or Follow Me support with or without TR summoner with Lum Berry/Safety Goggles/Mental Herb/Aroma Veil/Oblivious
Fake Out doesn't save them because if they're using Hitmontop or some shit, then I'm just going to double target the TR user with Sleep Powder and Taunt. Lum Berry and Safety Goggles only work if they lead with two Trick Room users because I always Taunt their Trick Room user first unless they have Aroma Veil / Oblivious. If they DO have Aroma Veil / Oblivious, (AKA if they're Aromatisse / Slowking) then I just double target with Sludge Bomb + Thunderbolt or Energy Ball + Thunderbolt, respectively, as that KOs them both. The only way it can even work is with Follow Me support, which A. I never see since most TR leads have like 0 offensive presence and leading with another support Pokemon just leaves you a siting duck B. They're Follow Me user will get Taunted and put to sleep turn 1, meaning they only get one use and C. Both Venusaur and Thundurus have a super effective STAB against the most common Follow Me user, Togekiss.

Basically, I almost always see people lead with Trick Room user + slow offensive Pokemon, which these guys shut down easily.

Also don't "nice try" me this core works I swearzy ;_;

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Gengar @ Gengarite
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpA
Timid nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bumb
- Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

Terrakion @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Most of you probably know about this core already, but if you don't, listen up. If you ever need high end offense, this core is terrific. Mega Gengar rapes Ghost-, Psychic-, and Fairy-types with its powerful STAB attacks, and Terrakion pummels Mega Kangaskhan, Dark-types, and special walls. Terrakion's Quick Guard protects Mega Gengar from priority so you can spam attacks freely. Third slot of Mega Gengar's set is dependent on the rest of the team. If Tailwind support is provided, Hidden Power Ice is clutch as fuck for nailing Choice Scarf Landorus-T who run in for Terrakion like boys run for milkshakes. Or you can just Will-O-Wisp things, that's nice too.

This core has some drawbacks, though. It's mostly suitable for balanced - moderate offensive teams, since it counters specific threats well but has glaring weaknesses (to Ground for one) that absolutely have to be handled. Being outoffensed is terrible, since both Pokemon are weak to common attack types and die from pretty much any super effective attack

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, Gengar + Fighting-type is a perfect combination. R Inanimate went 4-0 in SPL with a team that utilized Mega Gar partnered with Breloom. The latter is great for its Quakeslide resistance and SPORE. Priority Mach Punch means that it can pick off Bisharp and Tyranitar before they can assault Gengar. Mega Gar in turn complements Breloom by taking out problematic mons like Latios and Mega Gardevoir.

Here's a core that I've been experimenting with:

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Knock Off
- Sky Drop
- Protect

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Thundy takes care of Venusaur, Amoongus, and Top, and it benefits from Intimidate.
Skymin typically doesn't want to switch in on Thundy either, for fear of Thunder Wave.

Sky Drop also gives Gyarados a free turn to set up Dragon Dance, and with the EVs listed, he is 1 point slower than Thundy after a Dragon Dance, allowing for a potential double attack. Mega Gyarados is deadly after a Dragon Dance, and Waterfall/Earthquake gives it excellent coverage.
It deals with Lando-T, Heatran, and Rotom-W without a second thought.

Unfortunately, both Pokemon are weak against Terrakion - Close Combat 1HKOs Gyara, and Rock Slide does heavy damage to Thundy. Terra is also immune to Sky Drop, since it weighs over 200 kg. However, after Dragon Dance, Gyarados outspeeds Terra, allowing for an easy 1HKO.

This core is also quite weak to being burned: while the vast majority of WoW users will go down without much of a fight, it is quite possible for, say, a Gourgeist to survive the Sky Drop and subsequent attack from Gyarados.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Overheat / Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect / Volt Switch

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump / Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind / Quick Guard / Taunt
- Protect

Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid / Modest Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power / Tailwind
- Protect

-----------------------------------------------

This core is definitely one of the most solid for a hyper offensive team. All three are extremely quick, all above 100 base speed, and form fantastic offensive synergy. Manectric is the fastest of the three, allowing it to outspeed base 130's like Mega Gengar and base form Aerodactyl which might give this core some trouble. It also checks Talonflame very nicely, which is a HUGE threat to the other two members. Intimidate support is also pretty nifty to live an extra hit or strengthen a more defensive backbone. Keldeo's main role is providing a check to Mega Kangaskhan while still having nice typing synergy with the other two, which is why it's chosen over Terrakion. It also has a customizable third move slot with many support moves available, all of which cover a weakness of this core. Shaymin-Sky completes a very nice Electric/Water/Grass offensive typing core and is also able to deal with Mega Venusaur, which counters the other two. Life Orb and Focus Sash are two great and generally equal item choices, however, Tailwind is usually inferior because of how ridiculously speedy this core is.

A main strength of this core besides the Speed Stat of all of them is the ability to muscle through most defensive cores (mainly Fire/Water/Grass). Most common members of defensive tricores are beaten or at least damaged by 2/3 of the members. This allows one of the three to clean up at the end of the game as long as you get the main threats out of the way. Another strength of this core is its inability to be stopped by Intimidate pivoting, as all three are special attackers. However, this core has a huge weakness to Trick Room and semi-Trick Room, and you really need a solid, solid check for that (Taunt Keldeo doesn't count). Also, Swift Swimmers found on Rain Teams (Kingdra/Ludicolo) aren't a fantastic matchup, so make sure you have additional rain checks.

also can we bring this thread back to life. it really helped when i was a newer player building teams :\

Last edited:
This is a really common core : Landorus-Wash

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp
- Protect​

This set is really common, especially on semi-TR, I can't believe that no-one actually exposed it already...

So we have standard Scarf-Lando-T and Rotom-W (even though KyleCole 's set is very good as well). STAB-EQ and Rock Slide is a very powerful duo, as the rock move wrecks the Flying-typed mons that wouldn't take damage from EQ (which tears most of the Tier apart). As EQ is the main move for Lando (most power and STAB), it is very helpful to have a Levitate/Flying/Telepathy pkmn as a teammate, Rotom rids you of Kangaskhan and Lando, plus a few Water threats to Lando such as Gyarados. It also deals good damage to Wide Guard user Hitmontop. On the other hand, Lando can spam EQ or Rockslides at will, anything not resisting the move is probably in for some big damage. The core has it's weaknesses though, mostly Lando does actually: TR, Rain, Keldeo, ... But since, most of the time, it's Lando you worry about the most (I mean come on, Rotom can take a Fake Out + Return from Kangaskhan, he can handle himself!), U-turn is the answer to switching to a better partner while keeping momentum. So all in all, by providing a balance between offensive power an defensive coverage, this set can be an opening core to almost any battle.

Just lay rocks, maybe a sticky web, then guard split to Chansey, then do whatever the heck you want with Chansey, it can tank basically whatever it wants to. You are gonna want a taunter though, status can be dangerous to Chansey (I know that's obvious, but still)

Last edited:
I definitely think this core is effective enough to be up here. Thundurus is so incredibly powerful and provides a lot of support, while Mew provides a lot of support and, with incredibly offensive teammates, it can be a major threat to teams weak to your threats by use of Transform.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave/Swagger
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Taunt/Nasty Plot
- Protect

With this Thunduurs you either hit incredibly hard with Life Orb, Thunderbolt, and Hidden Power [Ice], or you provide support with Taunt and Thunder Wave/Swagger. You can also run Nasty Plot to increase the power of Thunderbolt as well and let Mew Transform into a +2 monster.

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Transform
- Tailwind/Fake Out
- Roost/Recover/Soft-boiled
- Psychic/Psyshock

This basically just looks for something to Transform into. Psychic/Psyshock lets you avoid Taunt, Tailwind lets you set up higher speed for a great partner to this core Sylveon, and the rest is recovery.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
offensive Thundurus is a waste of your Thundurus imo
if you wanted a fast, offensive electric-type and your mega slot is already taken, what would you use? i don't think zapdos and raikou fulfill the same role tbh because they lack the same combination of speed + power that only thundurus and mega manectric really have. plus electric/flying is pretty strong STAB-wise.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
if you wanted a fast, offensive electric-type and your mega slot is already taken, what would you use? i don't think zapdos and raikou fulfill the same role tbh because they lack the same combination of speed + power that only thundurus and mega manectric really have. plus electric/flying is pretty strong STAB-wise.
if you're desperate you could use Jolteon or Scarf Rotom-W, both are fast and are decent offensively, though not nearly on the same scale as Thundurus and lacking boosting moves or the ability to use Life Orb in the case of the latter

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Yeah calling offensive thund a "waste" is a complete joke lol, especially for a Rain team. It's faster than Zard which is huge for rain, it's got a high special attack, it can still use prankster twave if needed, and nobody expects it to carry protect which can work in your favor (or if you'd rather, you can use sub). Sometimes thund-t is better for higher spa and volt absorb (which is hard to use since it still gets raped by hpump and hp ice), but sometimes you need the speed tier.

(For reference the spread i'm talking about is max spa/max spe
timid
life orb
thunderbolt
hp ice
thunder wave
protect | sub)

Thats not even touching on defiant sky drop and nasty plot, which are both viable (if niche) sets.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
who wants an actual core instead of bitching about electric types

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe (lives adamant lo bisharp sucker 100% of the time)
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm / Ice Punch / Bullet Punch
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard / Taunt / Icy Wind
- Protect

These two mons form a fantastic offensive core, taking out each other's best checks while both having a high speed tier. Metagross is able to take out the Lati twins, Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, and Sylveon, which all deal with Keldeo relatively well. In return, Keldeo gets rid of Dark and Fire Types that threaten Megagross like Bisharp and Heatran. By far, the biggest threat to this core is Talonflame (A Life Orb variant OHKOs Keldeo and has a 75% chance of doing the same to Metagross), so adding something like Landorus-T, Rotom-Wash, or Thundurus is a great way to round off the core.

Last edited:
A team I recently built has a really fun core that I encourage everyone to try out/develop more:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam
- Overheat
- Protect

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Snarl
- Quash
- Protect

Mega Charizard Y + Prankster Quash is extremely good in the meta. For those who don't know, Quash makes your Pokemon go last. Completely last. Not in its priority bracket, just last. Even after trick room (which is awesome cause my team is semi TR sun spam). Most of Zard's checks are just faster things with Rock/Electric coverage, and a quick Quash + Heat Wave/Overheat completely throws some opponents off guard. For example, slow threats that cannot handle Zard Y such as Amoonguss often stay in on Mega Zard Y because their partner can easily outspeed + KO it, and Quash totally decimates that strategy. Also Prankster WoW helps extra against most fast things with Rock Slide anyway, so you can chose to protect with Zard and WoW for even more damage to the team. Very little Pokemon can handle WoW+Snarl spam, and Zard can have a field day with that support. My team is super weak to Heatran so I have to use Focus Blast on my Zard or else it trolls me, so I can't even appreciate the beauty of Quash + Overheat :(. Also Quash is currently bugged on PS so it hits Mega Diancie, so take advantage of that while you can! Otherwise make sure your team is prepared for Diancie cause otherwise it can be a bitch (But you do get Chlorosaur!). Also this team has 5-0ed like half the council so it's good I swear!

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For example, slow threats that cannot handle Zard Y such as Amoonguss often stay in on Mega Zard Y because their partner can easily outspeed + KO it, and Quash totally decimates that strategy. ]
Amoonguss should be using Rage Powder to redirect Quash away from its speedy partner.

Also, have you considered Taunt instead of Protect? It lets Sableye shut down more threats. Combine its moves together: WoW for physical attackers, Snarl for special attackers, Quash for speedy threats and Pokemon who can attack on either end of the spectrum, and then Taunt to shut down support Pokemon.

Generally I find WoW / Quash / Taunt / attacking move works best on Sableye. Protect isn't as useful for Sableye as it is for other Pokemon thanks to its support role and Prankster meaning it should generally get an attack off even when threatened. However, Protect is Protect, and it's handy when Fairy-types exist (and fyi Mega Mawile OHKOes Sableye even when burnt).

True I guess Amoonguss is a more different case, but many Pokemon fill that spot of a Zard-Y weak mon that would stay in if they had a partner that beat Zard

Also I think Sableye is way too frail to not run protect but yea u could use Taunt if you really wanted too.

Mega Mawile dies to sun spam so there's no need to worry about that tho ;)

Tight core yo.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 80 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

This core is extremely similar to mega sala + jirachi and functions the same way. Mega altaria is unbelievably underrated and is a huge threat to teams once it has a dd up. Mono fairy has good coverage and altarias large number of resistances gives it multiple chances to set up. Roost eases prediction against protect and also lets altaria stay healthy for most of the game, setting up more dds. Make your own ev spreads, im too lazy too.

Jirachi redirects sleep, burns, poison attacks, steel attacks, beats fairies, slows down scarfers and tailwind teams as well as flinches them to death. It is such a good partner to altaria it is unreal. Evs are from analysis.

I have paired this with hp ice lando i to beat steels fires poisons and lando t. It benefits from redirection too

Tight core yo.
Make your own ev spreads, im too lazy too.
that core is indeed tight yo

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
EVs: 224 Atk / 132 SpD / 152 Spe
Careful Nature

• hits 234 speed to outspeed base 110s at +1 (hits 351)
  • Survives a Moonblast from Mega Diancie
  • OHKOs 0/0 Mega Diancie with +1 Frustration 100% of the time
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature

• Hits 220 speed to outspeed base 100s at +1 (hits 330)
  • Survives an Ice Beam from Kyurem-B
  • OHKOs 4HP Mega Kangaskhan 100% of the time at +1 if you use Double Edge > Return

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)