Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Special poli isn't outclassed due to STAB focus blast and vacuum wave being unique to it. The mr. Mime set is clearly awful due to poor bulk even with boosts, although I suppose it is immune to roar ?_? Gloom is better than roselia if you really hate using spikes for whatever reason. But how is it really useful? The set has no recovery and mediocre offenses, tangela makes more sense with good offenses even without stab sludge bomb, as well as having leaf storm. Anty already rejected them with good reason, but here's a further explanation of you still don't get it.
I wasn't saying that the sets are good at all (in fact I think Gloom and baton-pass Mime are pretty bad), I was just criticizing the way Anty rejected them. For example, saying that Roselia has higher special bulk when it does not. Or implying that you can use Mr.Mime as a reciever for baton-pass Mr.Mime O_O

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wasn't saying that the sets are good at all (in fact I think Gloom and baton-pass Mime are pretty bad), I was just criticizing the way Anty rejected them. For example, saying that Roselia has higher special bulk when it does not. Or implying that you can use Mr.Mime as a reciever for baton-pass Mr.Mime O_O
You're just nitpicking at this point. Roselia's special bulk is only minutely inferior to Gloom and it will never make up for the utility Roselia can provide.

Special Poliwrath not only has STAB Fighting move, it provides a check to Sneasel, Carracosta, Barbaracle, etc which the other two cannot provide and actually hits decently hard.

Hone Claws Golduck is honestly an inferior set as well. The only thing it really lures is Lickilicky, but this is a) uncommon and b) your cover is blown once you reveal Hone Claws which is required to lure it anyways. It doesn't get past several important targets such as Roselia and Poliwrath and giving up the standard special set for an unreliable Lickilicky lure sounds dodgy to me. Do you have replays of it doing well vs legit opponents?

Also Anty wasn't saying Mr Mime can pass to Mr Mime, he's saying that Mr Mime is usually better than Meowstic as an offensive Psychic-type. If you want me to nitpick like that then I'll say that Meowstic is a pretty terrible BP partner for Mr Mime because they share every weakness too. (I won't bash the concept of the set yet though)

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
O sorry, gloom definitely has a niche in its HUGE extra spdef:
252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 176-210 (57.8 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Gloom: 186-222 (57.4 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
OK, i made a mistake, what is the point of nitpicking? Either way, roselia (or even most other grass types) are better than gloom as spatk just isnt good enough without boosting in this meta. Otherwise, I never implied mr mime as a mr mime reciever, you just inferred it. Instead, i was pointing out the fact offensive meoswtic is bad and outclassed.

You can use physical golduck if you want, but im not going to be switching into a special wall to check something with hone claws. Also just comparing this damage output (don't bother talking about accuracy neither are good):
0 SpA Golduck Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 83-98 (24.3 - 28.7%) -- 99.2% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Golduck Cross Chop vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 80-95 (23.4 - 27.8%) -- 84.2% chance to 4HKO
If the lickilicky does stay in and you cross chop:
252 Atk Life Orb Golduck Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 218-257 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Then it can get a wish up, and either protect stall, or body slam and possibly para, or switch out. Lastly, roselia is a much more common switch into golduck, and it is on most stall teams now it is banned. If you want a better way of baiting in lickliciky, use something like mixed simipour:
0 Atk Life Orb Simipour Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 192-229 (45.2 - 54%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 176-210 (57.8 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Eviolite Gloom: 186-222 (57.4 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
OK, i made a mistake, what is the point of nitpicking? Either way, roselia (or even most other grass types) are better than gloom as spatk just isnt good enough without boosting in this meta. Otherwise, I never implied mr mime as a mr mime reciever, you just inferred it. Instead, i was pointing out the fact offensive meoswtic is bad and outclassed.

You can use physical golduck if you want, but im not going to be switching into a special wall to check something with hone claws. Also just comparing this damage output (don't bother talking about accuracy neither are good):
0 SpA Golduck Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 83-98 (24.3 - 28.7%) -- 99.2% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Golduck Cross Chop vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 80-95 (23.4 - 27.8%) -- 84.2% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Golduck Cross Chop vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 218-257 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Then it can get a wish up, and either protect stall, or body slam and possibly para, or switch out. Lastly, roselia is a much more common switch into golduck, and it is on most stall teams now it is banned. If you want a better way of baiting in lickliciky, use something like mixed simipour:
0 Atk Life Orb Simipour Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 192-229 (45.2 - 54%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
I mean.. i know i made the gloom set and all and its just a thing i like to use but there is no point to nitpicking.. i just enjoy gloom cuz it has a little more physical bulk as well.. i know the advantages to Roselia are things like Spikes and Natural Cure but i just prefer Gloom.. :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean.. i know i made the gloom set and all and its just a thing i like to use but there is no point to nitpicking.. i just enjoy gloom cuz it has a little more physical bulk as well.. i know the advantages to Roselia are things like Spikes and Natural Cure but i just prefer Gloom.. :)
Nothing is wrong with liking a mon. I like slaking. But as this is a competitive discussion forum, that's not really what's important. Gloom is just not viable, no matter how much you like it

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Why would you know that my golduck has hone claws? You're supposed to assume that the golduck has a special set, because why wouldn't you? Golduck has switched safely into flareon or something, and the opponent is like "Oh shit" and they switch immediately into their Lickilicky or Kecleon or Regice or Lapras. You hone claws on the predicted switch and you're at +1 while the special wall comes in. You can either abuse 80% accuracy hypnosis (yeah, I know, but if sleep powder jumpluff can be a thing with swords dance, this can be a thing too), and then spam aqua tail/cross chop, or spam the moves immediately- both of which are clean 2HKOs on Licklicky at +1.

What if the Regice or something thinks "I can't tank this +1 golduck, I better switch into tangela/gourgeist/poliwrath", well your opponent is going to end up with a sleeping tangela/gourgeist/poliwrath, which can be a big deal if it is not rest-talk wrath.

Of course if Roselia switches in to you, you can always hypnotize it and then switch out. OR you could run zen headbutt in place of blizzard/cross chop, which is perfectly viable because it also gets Poliwrath.

Now, mixed Simipour is actually not a bad pokemon at all and I was thinking of making a set of it here, but the major difference is it doesn't have hypnosis to safely take out its counters (can't bypass kecleon's sucker punch either), and it can't get to +1 attack, which can be a really big deal vs stall teams. And if the opponent lets their sleeping pokemon die, you can again put to sleep their next pokemon if you outspeed it.

Of course, Simipour is a better pokemon in general than Honeduck, but this still has a niche.

you know it has hone claws because it uses it as you switch, then you can just switch into something that walls hone claws golduck. sure, you may be able to put this switch-in to sleep, but at this point since the special wall you were trying to lure and beat has switched out and is still at full health. this means that the lure doesn't even work, and there's no point in using a gimmicky lure when it doesn't even successfully lure what you are trying to beat.

also golduck can in no way switch in safely on flareon lol

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
you know it has hone claws because it uses it as you switch, then you can just switch into something that walls hone claws golduck. sure, you may be able to put this switch-in to sleep, but at this point since the special wall you were trying to lure and beat has switched out and is still at full health. this means that the lure doesn't even work, and there's no point in using a gimmicky lure when it doesn't even successfully lure what you are trying to beat.

also golduck can in no way switch in safely on flareon lol
I see your point but it didn't work this way in practice. People didn't switch out with Lickilicky and Regice. (I mean, it's hone claws golduck, he must be a shit player XD) And when they switched into Gourgeist, I was able to put it to sleep and blizzard it when I was running blizzard. If they switched into avalugg, I was able to put it to sleep and cross chop it when I was running cross chop.

But I see your point about luring.

I didn't mean Golduck can switch safely in on Flareon, I meant after you let Flareon kill something, it can switch in.

I see your point but it didn't work this way in practice. People didn't switch out with Lickilicky and Regice. (I mean, it's hone claws golduck, he must be a shit player XD) And when they switched into Gourgeist, I was able to put it to sleep and blizzard it when I was running blizzard. If they switched into avalugg, I was able to put it to sleep and cross chop it when I was running cross chop.

But I see your point about luring.

I didn't mean Golduck can switch safely in on Flareon, I meant after you let Flareon kill something, it can switch in.
if they didn't switch out their special wall or regice (which isn't even a fantastic switch-in to normal golduck sets anyway) when you used hone claws, that doesn't mean that the set is good, it means that they were playing badly. there are plenty of effective ways to lure lickilicky, and there is also a more than viable setup sweeper that can put would be checks to sleep in jumpluff. there's also the fact that without setting up (which isn't always easy to do), you have horrible accuracy with all but one of your moves. finally, the best golduck set is cm with psyshock, which already hits special walls decently hard without resorting to gimmicks. i'm sorry, but i really don't see how hone claws golduck has much of a niche.

Really, I'd rather lure Lickilicky in with a Simipour, as it has more attack power, a better fighting move(Low Lick or Superpower), and is MUCH more known to be a special attacker. I mean, I never see Golduck really(I see Dewgong more), so I just scout with a Poliwrath.

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Rain Setup Golduck
Golduck @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Tail
- Aqua Jet/Aqua tail
- Ice Punch

I appreciate this set a lot ,not just because Golduck is my favorite Pokémon ,but also its effectiveness
With the Hone Claws ,its likely that iron tail will hit and it deals around 56-60% after 1 hone claws , and hone claws also help hit Aqua tail but scarf Typhlosion still outspeeds in the rain
252 SpA Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Golduck: 140-166 (46.3 - 54.9%) -- 65.2% chance to 2HKO
1 252+ Atk Golduck Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 194-230 (65.3 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Golduck Aqua Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 438-516 (147.4 - 173.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Golduck Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Lilligant: 250-296 (88.6 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
Conclusion: Not the best set ,but in a rain team ,its a very good pokémon paired up with Victreebell
Typhlosion and lilligant are nu, not pu, there isn't muchg point in running priority on a swift swim sweeper, and why would you want a physical golduck over special? Is this the new trend?

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder

Posting these together because they're very similar. Tangela and Roselia often find themselves being taken advantage of by faster mons such as Ninetales, Haunter, Mr. Mime, and Scyther. However, this can be punished by hitting them on the switch with Stun Spore, crippling them for the rest of the match and enabling teammates to deal with them easily. Stun Spore is also very useful to help spread paralysis and Tangela can even do a double-powder thing with Sleep Powder + Stun Spore.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off

Surprised no one posted about this but w/e. SD Eviolite Scyther is very underrated as most ppl prefer the added power from Choice Band or the extra speed from a Choice Scarf. This set forges both of these things for more staying power and extra bulk making it easier to get off Swords Dances when possible while adding to its staying power with Roost. Aerial Ace after a SD boost and Technician boost hits very hard with Knock Off being a great utility move in general and hits a lot of pokemon in the tier fairly hard.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Time for some innovation!

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Zen Headbutt
Isnt it a shame that carracosta gets walled by the best pokemon in the tier? Well not anymore. Zen Headbutt lets it crush the bulkiest of wrath:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 325-385 (84.6 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
That is restalk which is like its 4th best set, and its hard to keep at full throughout the battle. Now look at subpunch:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Zen Headbutt vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 455-538 (122.6 - 145%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And now their check is gone. Looking at costa's move set, the most expendable move is definitely waterfall, as it is mainly for accuracy, as of the things that resists rock, steel is existent, fighting looses to zen, and ground looses to aqua jet (partially, and who is going into ground types to check costa?). I know what you responce might be, 'why not use hp flying and hit tangela', well thats because firstly, it just doesnt do enough (about 70% to subpunch wrath), and secondly, you cannot use aqua jet, which is what makes costa such a threat to offensive teams, who will often rely on poliwrath to check it. Also hits throh pretty hard i guess.

Anty

let's drop

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stun Spore
- Sleep Powder

Posting these together because they're very similar. Tangela and Roselia often find themselves being taken advantage of by faster mons such as Ninetales, Haunter, Mr. Mime, and Scyther. However, this can be punished by hitting them on the switch with Stun Spore, crippling them for the rest of the match and enabling teammates to deal with them easily. Stun Spore is also very useful to help spread paralysis and Tangela can even do a double-powder thing with Sleep Powder + Stun Spore.
This looks so nice, so many people try and set up with ninetales on these and this just completely makes it worthless

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off

Surprised no one posted about this but w/e. SD Eviolite Scyther is very underrated as most ppl prefer the added power from Choice Band or the extra speed from a Choice Scarf. This set forges both of these things for more staying power and extra bulk making it easier to get off Swords Dances when possible while adding to its staying power with Roost. Aerial Ace after a SD boost and Technician boost hits very hard with Knock Off being a great utility move in general and hits a lot of pokemon in the tier fairly hard.
I really love this set and its a crime that it only receives 20% of scyther usage(!). It has bulk to live hit from faster stuff like tauros and even sneasel cannot ohko!

Ill update the op

e: sry for double post

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Regice @ Damp Rock
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

An attempt to make another Regice set, something other than AV Regice is an improvent atp, but anyway. When it comes to running rain or weather in general, there aren't that many options to be honest outside Volbeat, Carbink, Electrode, etc. Rain Dance Regice is a way to implement weather while being able to take advantage of it at the same time. It doesn't have the speed of Electrode or an ability like Prankster Volbeat to get up rain quick, but it can benefit from the rain as it does weaken Fire attacks which Regice hates. Rain Dance is the main move here to set up rain for the rest of its teammates. Thunder Wave cripples faster threats allowing its teammates to not rely on the rain as much to outspeed. Thunder gets perfect accuracy in rain and Regice will need all the extra power as it is not running Life Orb on this set. Ice Beam completes the set providing a great STAB to abuse. The EVs allow Regice to outspeed Adamant base 45 max speed pokemon like Golem and Marowak and OHKO with Ice Beam with the rest of EVs going into HP to provide some bulk. (Golem has Sturdy ik.)

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've got another set that is great in PU - Sap Sipper Zebstrika. This Zebstrika has a different role from Lightning Rod Zebstrika, as its goal is to remove grass types that might be standing in your sweeper's way (looking at Tangela/Roselia here). With Sap Sipper and Overheat, you can switch into things like Gourgeist's Leech Seed without fear and OHKO physically defensive variants. Or, you can switch into Tangela's Sleep Powder / Leaf Storm / Giga Drain and OHKO with Overheat again. The list of Grass Pokemon that are OHKO'd or severely damaged by Zebstrika's Overheat is long - Gourgeist, Leafeon, Sawsbuck, Tangela, Roselia, Victreebel, Meganium, Gogoat, Torterra, Jumpluff, etc.
Victreebel is another especially compelling case where I'd advocate Sap Sipper Zebstrika. You can switch in on or stay in on a Solar Beam or Leaf Blade and essentially waste a turn of precious sun. Furthermore, in cases where a specially defensive grass pokemon can survive the hit (i.e. Roselia), you can finish them with a +1 Double-Edge. And finally, it's able to do a lot of damage to Raichu or other Zebstrika who switch in to grab a Lightning Rod boost with Double-Edge.

Blitzkrieg (Zebstrika) @ Expert Belt / Life Orb / Zap Plate / White Herb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 8 Atk / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Zebstrika (F) @ Expert Belt
Shiny: Yes
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

The choice of item is up to you - I listed the most useful items in order. Zap Plate and Expert Belt can be used to bluff a choice item. I often use Expert Belt myself to OHKO most grass types with Overheat, but Life Orb can be used for the extra power on Double-Edge, as well. White Herb is able to keep its special attack up to par if it's forced to break through a substitute (Overheat twice in a row) in order to get the KO. The two cases where White Herb is the most useful are SubSeed Gourgeist, and full HP Torterra. The basic key to using this Zebstrika well is to have both a fire attack and Sap Sipper. As far as natures and EVs go, I use 248 Speed EVs instead of 252, because the extra point in Speed is unnecessary and can be reallocated toward its attack stat, unless you're fighting another Zebstrika. What you're really looking to outspeed are 252+ Sneasel, Floatzel, Persian at 361 speed. Hasty Nature is used over Naive Nature so you can take a Sludge Bomb from Roselia in case you mispredict its attack - the same logic applies to other specially based Grass mons who are coming at you with non-grass attacks.

As far as team options go, Scyther (especially Scarf Scyther) is an excellent choice to form a potent Volturn core that outspeeds the majority of the tier. At the same time, Scyther is able to switch into ground attacks aimed at Zebstrika. Given you are no longer using Lightning Rod with this set, a ground type should be used in order to keep your team's Electric immunity in tact - Golem, Marowak, and Piloswine all fit. Finally, this Zebstrika pairs well with Pokemon who are able to open up a sweep without defensive pokemon like Tangela or Roselia in its way.

The icing on the cake: some guy takes Galbia's team from the sample thread, and Zebstrika gets 2 sap sipper boosts from Jumpluff/Ninetales while KOing Raichu. Scarf Scyther just picks off the rest, lol: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-203524344

Calculations:
Roselia:

252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 137-163 (45 - 53.6%) -- 35.2% chance to 2HKO
+1 8 Atk Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Roselia: 162-191 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Roselia vs you:
0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zebstrika: 142-168 (48.7 - 57.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

Tangela:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 334-394 (103.4 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 331-391 (99.1 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Tangela vs you:
252+ SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zebstrika: 88-104 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 32.6% chance to 3HKO

Leafeon:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Leafeon: 348-410 (128.4 - 151.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Leafeon vs you:
252 Atk Life Orb Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 199-235 (68.3 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gourgeist-Super:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 310-365 (83.1 - 97.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 335-395 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Gourgeist-Super vs you:
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 70-84 (24 - 28.8%) -- 98.3% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 159-187 (54.6 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Torterra:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Torterra: 281-331 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 142-168 (36 - 42.6%) -- 94.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 8 Atk Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 124-147 (31.5 - 37.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Torterra: 304-359 (77.3 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Torterra vs you:
252+ Atk Torterra Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 516-608 (177.3 - 208.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Torterra Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 172-203 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sawsbuck:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sawsbuck: 329-389 (109.3 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Sawsbuck vs you:
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 344-407 (118.2 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 192-227 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 294-347 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

ScarfBuck:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sawsbuck: 329-389 (109.3 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
ScarfBuck vs you:
252 Atk Sawsbuck Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 148-175 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 265-313 (91 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sawsbuck Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 226-267 (77.6 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Raichu:
8 Atk Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raichu: 140-165 (53.6 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Raichu vs you:
252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zebstrika: 192-227 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's going to be something of a theme here...

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute

Carracosta @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Protect

Piloswine @Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Roar
- Toxic

Meet stallTales, stallaCosta, and stalloSwine!

Ninetales is your lovely every day Fire counter, switches into Fire attacks for days, sets up a sub, proceeds to Toxic stall everything with its lovely 100 base speed. Flamethrower ensures that Roselia and Metang can't dick around and ruin your fun. No real leeway with item/moveslots there but you can play around with your speed EVs to have more special bulk if you like. Takes advantage of Misdreavus, Leafeon, Ninetales, Roselia to an extent, Scyther, Regice, Tangela, and Gourgeist among others. Requires far more support than normal Ninetales with hazard removal as it won't be sweeping teams like NP Ninetales does.

Carracosta and Piloswine form a lovely answer to physical attacks. Carracosta can use a whole bunch of different move options but for Toxic stall I enjoy the above, Knock Off carries the utility while Stealth Rock frees up a far more valuable moveslot on Piloswine while ProTox is a pain in the ass to deal with. EVs are flexible, I chose a version with special bulk to switch in on Fire Blasts and Ice Beams and what not as Costa's base Sdef is already massive. This is your first switch in to Tauros, Scyther, Lickilicky, Bouffalant, Chatot, Dodrio, Flareon, Purugly, Stoutland, etc; and a secondary switch in to Sneasel and co. Given how much it can abuse physical attackers, consider Rocky Helmet if you have Wish support to keep Costa healthy.

You'll also notice that I love having Protect on defensive Pokemon without natural recovery of their own, very helpful in keeping the team alive.

Finally, utility Piloswine. Earthquake and Ice Shard are mandatory, the former for the coverage and power it gets even uninvested, the latter for taking out Birds and weakened sweepers (i.e. Ursaring) before they do too much damage. Ordinarily Stealth Rock is used on Piloswine but I think that undersells one of Pilos greatest advantages for stall teams in Roar. Piloswine is one of the few that gets Roar, can fit in on a moveslot, and is both bulky and forces switches to rack up hazard damage. Adding Toxic and Roar adds to the fun when Piloswine is so bulky. EVs and moveslot are flexible with your team, you can add more attack and attacks, add Stealth Rock, go specially defensive, etc. I like the physically bulky set as it allows me a secondary Tauros check and switch ins to Barbaracleand Carracosta on top of all the other things it ordinarily checks.

In case anyone was wondering I run the latter two alongside Roselia, Encore Poliwrath, Taunt Misdreavus, and Lickilicky at the moment.

Anty

let's drop

Regice @ Damp Rock
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

An attempt to make another Regice set, something other than AV Regice is an improvent atp, but anyway. When it comes to running rain or weather in general, there aren't that many options to be honest outside Volbeat, Carbink, Electrode, etc. Rain Dance Regice is a way to implement weather while being able to take advantage of it at the same time. It doesn't have the speed of Electrode or an ability like Prankster Volbeat to get up rain quick, but it can benefit from the rain as it does weaken Fire attacks which Regice hates. Rain Dance is the main move here to set up rain for the rest of its teammates. Thunder Wave cripples faster threats allowing its teammates to not rely on the rain as much to outspeed. Thunder gets perfect accuracy in rain and Regice will need all the extra power as it is not running Life Orb on this set. Ice Beam completes the set providing a great STAB to abuse. The EVs allow Regice to outspeed Adamant base 45 max speed pokemon like Golem and Marowak and OHKO with Ice Beam with the rest of EVs going into HP to provide some bulk. (Golem has Sturdy ik.)
That looks good, as it can pivot in and is strong enough not to be a waste of rain turns.

There's going to be something of a theme here...

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
- Protect
- Substitute

Carracosta @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Protect

Piloswine @Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Roar
- Toxic

Meet stallTales, stallaCosta, and stalloSwine!

Ninetales is your lovely every day Fire counter, switches into Fire attacks for days, sets up a sub, proceeds to Toxic stall everything with its lovely 100 base speed. Flamethrower ensures that Roselia and Metang can't dick around and ruin your fun. No real leeway with item/moveslots there but you can play around with your speed EVs to have more special bulk if you like. Takes advantage of Misdreavus, Leafeon, Ninetales, Roselia to an extent, Scyther, Regice, Tangela, and Gourgeist among others. Requires far more support than normal Ninetales with hazard removal as it won't be sweeping teams like NP Ninetales does.

Carracosta and Piloswine form a lovely answer to physical attacks. Carracosta can use a whole bunch of different move options but for Toxic stall I enjoy the above, Knock Off carries the utility while Stealth Rock frees up a far more valuable moveslot on Piloswine while ProTox is a pain in the ass to deal with. EVs are flexible, I chose a version with special bulk to switch in on Fire Blasts and Ice Beams and what not as Costa's base Sdef is already massive. This is your first switch in to Tauros, Scyther, Lickilicky, Bouffalant, Chatot, Dodrio, Flareon, Purugly, Stoutland, etc; and a secondary switch in to Sneasel and co. Given how much it can abuse physical attackers, consider Rocky Helmet if you have Wish support to keep Costa healthy.

You'll also notice that I love having Protect on defensive Pokemon without natural recovery of their own, very helpful in keeping the team alive.

Finally, utility Piloswine. Earthquake and Ice Shard are mandatory, the former for the coverage and power it gets even uninvested, the latter for taking out Birds and weakened sweepers (i.e. Ursaring) before they do too much damage. Ordinarily Stealth Rock is used on Piloswine but I think that undersells one of Pilos greatest advantages for stall teams in Roar. Piloswine is one of the few that gets Roar, can fit in on a moveslot, and is both bulky and forces switches to rack up hazard damage. Adding Toxic and Roar adds to the fun when Piloswine is so bulky. EVs and moveslot are flexible with your team, you can add more attack and attacks, add Stealth Rock, go specially defensive, etc. I like the physically bulky set as it allows me a secondary Tauros check and switch ins to Barbaracleand Carracosta on top of all the other things it ordinarily checks.

In case anyone was wondering I run the latter two alongside Roselia, Encore Poliwrath, Taunt Misdreavus, and Lickilicky at the moment.
I have used a similar ninetales set, and it is a pain for any defensive team, also toxic spreading is fun vs pokes like grumpig who try and switch in. Pain split should also works on that set
Def costa is amazing in this meta. I havent yet tried spdef as it has a better matchup vs physically based mons, but it is a solid chatot check among others
Previously phdef piloswine was kinda bad, but now i can see it being better as more scyther and electric-type usage has gone up. I will add all these to the archive

Masquerain deserves better than C-tier and here is a set to prove it
252 HP 252 Def 4 Spa
Intimidate
Leftovers
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Bubblebeam/Ice Beam
-Substitute
Let me explain this, with Intimidate and it's EV spread Masqerain can set up QD very easily with Substitute Masquerain can come in on stallers and set up QD while regaining HP with Leftovers and sweep while Bug Buzz and Bubblebeam provide excellent coverage
Masquerain is too weak to do any damage itself, and its defensive typing really limits its defensive typing. Quiver dance + baton pass is its only viable set, as otherwise other set up sweepers like butterfree or even physical ones like fraxure or klang, just sweep so much easier.

Cmon guys, keep the good sets coming. I also might post some innovation soon

Anty

let's drop
I've got another set that is great in PU - Sap Sipper Zebstrika. This Zebstrika has a different role from Lightning Rod Zebstrika, as its goal is to remove grass types that might be standing in your sweeper's way (looking at Tangela/Roselia here). With Sap Sipper and Overheat, you can switch into things like Gourgeist's Leech Seed without fear and OHKO physically defensive variants. Or, you can switch into Tangela's Sleep Powder / Leaf Storm / Giga Drain and OHKO with Overheat again. The list of Grass Pokemon that are OHKO'd or severely damaged by Zebstrika's Overheat is long - Gourgeist, Leafeon, Sawsbuck, Tangela, Roselia, Victreebel, Meganium, Gogoat, Torterra, Jumpluff, etc.
Victreebel is another especially compelling case where I'd advocate Sap Sipper Zebstrika. You can switch in on or stay in on a Solar Beam or Leaf Blade and essentially waste a turn of precious sun. Furthermore, in cases where a specially defensive grass pokemon can survive the hit (i.e. Roselia), you can finish them with a +1 Double-Edge. And finally, it's able to do a lot of damage to Raichu or other Zebstrika who switch in to grab a Lightning Rod boost with Double-Edge.

Blitzkrieg (Zebstrika) @ Expert Belt / Life Orb / Zap Plate / White Herb
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Zebstrika (F) @ Expert Belt
Shiny: Yes
Hasty Nature
- Double-Edge
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

The choice of item is up to you - I listed the most useful items in order. Zap Plate and Expert Belt can be used to bluff a choice item. I often use Expert Belt myself to OHKO most grass types with Overheat, but Life Orb can be used for the extra power on Double-Edge, as well. White Herb is able to keep its special attack up to par if it's forced to break through a substitute (Overheat twice in a row) in order to get the KO. The two cases where White Herb is the most useful are SubSeed Gourgeist, and full HP Torterra. The basic key to using this Zebstrika well is to have both a fire attack and Sap Sipper. As far as natures and EVs go, I use 248 Speed EVs instead of 252, because the extra point in Speed is unnecessary and can be reallocated toward its attack stat, unless you're fighting another Zebstrika. What you're really looking to outspeed are 252+ Sneasel, Floatzel, Persian at 361 speed. Hasty Nature is used over Naive Nature so you can take a Sludge Bomb from Roselia in case you mispredict its attack - the same logic applies to other specially based Grass mons who are coming at you with non-grass attacks.

As far as team options go, Scyther (especially Scarf Scyther) is an excellent choice to form a potent Volturn core that outspeeds the majority of the tier. At the same time, Scyther is able to switch into ground attacks aimed at Zebstrika. Given you are no longer using Lightning Rod with this set, a ground type should be used in order to keep your team's Electric immunity in tact - Golem, Marowak, and Piloswine all fit. Finally, this Zebstrika pairs well with Pokemon who are able to open up a sweep without defensive pokemon like Tangela or Roselia in its way.

The icing on the cake: some guy takes Galbia's team from the sample thread, and Zebstrika gets 2 sap sipper boosts from Jumpluff/Ninetales while KOing Raichu. Scarf Scyther just picks off the rest, lol: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-203524344

Calculations:
Roselia:

252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 137-163 (45 - 53.6%) -- 35.2% chance to 2HKO
+1 8 Atk Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Roselia: 162-191 (53.2 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Roselia vs you:
0 SpA Roselia Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zebstrika: 142-168 (48.7 - 57.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

Tangela:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 334-394 (103.4 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 331-391 (99.1 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Tangela vs you:
252+ SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zebstrika: 88-104 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 32.6% chance to 3HKO

Leafeon:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Leafeon: 348-410 (128.4 - 151.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Leafeon vs you:
252 Atk Life Orb Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 199-235 (68.3 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Gourgeist-Super:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 310-365 (83.1 - 97.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 335-395 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Gourgeist-Super vs you:
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 70-84 (24 - 28.8%) -- 98.3% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 159-187 (54.6 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Torterra:
252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Torterra: 281-331 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 252 SpA Expert Belt Zebstrika Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 142-168 (36 - 42.6%) -- 94.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 8 Atk Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 124-147 (31.5 - 37.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Overheat vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Torterra: 304-359 (77.3 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Torterra vs you:
252+ Atk Torterra Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 516-608 (177.3 - 208.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Torterra Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 172-203 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sawsbuck:
Sawsbuck vs you:
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 344-407 (118.2 - 139.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 192-227 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 294-347 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

ScarfBuck:
ScarfBuck vs you:
252 Atk Sawsbuck Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 148-175 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sawsbuck Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 265-313 (91 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sawsbuck Return vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Zebstrika: 226-267 (77.6 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Raichu:
8 Atk Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raichu: 140-165 (53.6 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Raichu vs you:
252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zebstrika: 192-227 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Sorry for missing this post out >_>. I really dont see the advantage of double edge on this set; raichu wont be switching in in fear of an overheat, and double edge just wears zeb down. HP grass hits grounds like piloswine who actually can switch in on this set, and specially defensive roselia is barely seen. Not sure if you know but sap sipper and overheat are already standard on zebstrika

That looks good, as it can pivot in and is strong enough not to be a waste of rain turns.

I have used a similar ninetales set, and it is a pain for any defensive team, also toxic spreading is fun vs pokes like grumpig who try and switch in. Pain split should also works on that set
Def costa is amazing in this meta. I havent yet tried spdef as it has a better matchup vs physically based mons, but it is a solid chatot check among others
Previously phdef piloswine was kinda bad, but now i can see it being better as more scyther and electric-type usage has gone up. I will add all these to the archive

Masquerain is too weak to do any damage itself, and its defensive typing really limits its defensive typing. Quiver dance + baton pass is its only viable set, as otherwise other set up sweepers like butterfree or even physical ones like fraxure or klang, just sweep so much easier.

Cmon guys, keep the good sets coming. I also might post some innovation soon
No it's not too weak that's why it has QD not only will Masq be bulky in defense but with QD it will be bulky in spd and a heavy special attacker

Anty

let's drop
No it's not too weak that's why it has QD not only will Masq be bulky in defense but with QD it will be bulky in spd and a heavy special attacker
It doesnt have a good chance to set up due to its typing giving it 5 very common weaknesses, its fairly bad natural bulk. It is also weak:
+1 4 SpA Masquerain Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 91-108 (21.4 - 25.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 4 SpA Masquerain Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0+ SpD Regice: 60-72 (16.4 - 19.7%) -- possible 6HKO
It doesnt even hit pokes with low bulk hard:
+1 4 SpA Masquerain Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Raichu: 145-172 (55.5 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also never use bubble beam on a competitive set. Masquerains only niche is quiver dance + baton pass but it sucks at that too

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Sorry for missing this post out >_>. I really dont see the advantage of double edge on this set; raichu wont be switching in in fear of an overheat, and double edge just wears zeb down. HP grass hits grounds like piloswine who actually can switch in on this set, and specially defensive roselia is barely seen. Not sure if you know but sap sipper and overheat are already standard on zebstrika
There are some cases where Double-Edge is more useful than HP grass (though you are correct in stating HP Grass is better overall).

In the team options portion of the Zebstrika analysis, it says, "Water- or Grass-types that can take care of Ground-types such as Torterra are useful, as Ground-types are immune to Volt Switch and can OHKO Zebstrika." In other words, when forming a coherent team with Zebstrika, you should already have something that counters Hidden Power Grass weak targets.

There is another target I forgot to mention in my post. When using Life Orb, you are able to come in on Ninetales' Energy Ball (bait it with something like a Barbaracle or Carracosta), and Double-Edge. +1 8 Atk LO kills after rocks, whereas anything else the standard has doesn't.

+1 8 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 214-253 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anty

let's drop
There are some cases where Double-Edge is more useful than HP grass (though you are correct in stating HP Grass is better overall).

In the team options portion of the Zebstrika analysis, it says, "Water- or Grass-types that can take care of Ground-types such as Torterra are useful, as Ground-types are immune to Volt Switch and can OHKO Zebstrika." In other words, when forming a coherent team with Zebstrika, you should already have something that counters Hidden Power Grass weak targets.

There is another target I forgot to mention in my post. When using Life Orb, you are able to come in on Ninetales' Energy Ball (bait it with something like a Barbaracle or Carracosta), and Double-Edge. +1 8 Atk LO kills after rocks, whereas anything else the standard has doesn't.

+1 8 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 214-253 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Torterra isnt exactly a hp ground target, and they dont switch in because they fear overheat. The logic about 'you should already have something that counters Hidden Power Grass weak targets' makes no sense as you can say that about any pokemon. Hp Grass does hit pokemon like piloswine who will switch into it:
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 125-148 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 62.3% chance to 3HKO
That does decent enough damage to were zeb doesnt have to double switch predicting a piloswine switch in. Overheat also does a ton, but cannot try and 2hko a weakened pilo on switch in.
The problem with your ninetales bait is that it is so specific. Firstly, if you have a grass move against a grass weak poke, and the op knows this and has a sap sipper poke then they might not go for the move (granted that they would think who the hell switches in a zebstrika to a ninetales), also double edge doesnt kill from full, and double edge + life orb will lose zeb about 33% of its health either way. Tbolt does more to tales if unboosted.

I really dont say enough reason to run double edge, as baiting a switch from ninetales isnt solid reasoning, sorry

MZ

315.gif
Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis/Toxic Spikes/Spikes
- Toxic Spikes/Spikes/Synthesis

Roselia is typically seen as a defensive spike stacker, and it's easy to see why with its mediocre speed and barely above average special attack. However, base 65 is easily enough to take on marowak and golem and giga drain them before they kill you, and a 100 base special attack STAB sludge bomb or giga drain is nothing to sneeze at. What it gets over tangela is spikes/toxic spikes and a STAB poison type move, which is pretty nice right now, as well as the ability to counter Tangela for offensive teams, and can spike while still being a reliable offensive mon unlike whirlipede. The last two moves can be changed, but my personal preferences are slashed first. It really depends on the team, although synthesis is highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)