Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought about it but haven't bothered looking at the numbers since it takes ALOT of EVs to start outspeeding things. Also I'm not sure if Jolly is strong enough to break those key threats but it's definitely worth looking into.

Edit: I haven't calced it but looking at the previous Calc I think costa would live a power whip. But after LO recoil it should die.
Reason I suggested the speed is because Power Whip still ohko's Golem and 2hko's Poliwrath, while Hammer Arm ohko's Pawniard easily and still 2hko's Probopass. These mons could otherwise outspeed and volt switch out or hit hard with Earthquake, Focus Blast, etc. Although you a have a chance of missing out on the ohko on SS Costa, it's still roughly a 40% chance to ohko after rocks, while outspeeding a lot of important threats.

Last edited:
Reason I suggested the speed is that Power Whip still ohko's Golem and 2hko's Poliwrath, while Hammer Arm still ohko's Pawniard easily while still 2hko'ing Probopass. These mons could otherwise outspeed and volt switch out or hit hard with Earthquake, Focus Blast, etc. Although you miss out on the ohko on SS Costa, it's still roughly a 40% chance to ohko after rocks, while outspeeding a lot of important threats.
That makes sense. Sounds like a good option

Furfrou @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Work Up
- Return
- U-turn / Refresh / Thunder Wave/ Iron Tail
- Sucker Punch / Bite
Set I've been working on for awhile to try to spice stuff up in the meta. (Thanks to Taps & UltimaJC for helping me out with this.) Furfrou has a really good speed tier & I wanted to make it a set up sweeper based off that as well as it's unique ability. I put 40 EVs in Defense for a little added bulk. U-turn allows for you have to momentum if you want to psyche someone out into thinking you're going in for an early sweep. Refresh is for if you're having trouble with status conditions. Thunder wave is for predictions or if you want to slow down some speedy pokes. Sucker Punch is nice priority but if you feel like using Bite for pesky ghosts, then be my guest.
You could run a bulkier version of this EVs: 148 Atk / 136 Def / 224 Spe Impish Nature (same move sets) & have it be run with Solrock with the moves: Baton Pass / Reflect / Light Screen / & Steal Rock. I recommend using the set ups for mid to late game.
A really good poke to use with Furfrou is Floatzel. Floatzel with Choice Band & Water Veil with the moves: Pursuit / Waterfall / Switcheroo / & Ice Punch can help get rid of Gourgeist. You can U-turn on the prediction of Gourgeist coming & choose whether to switcheroo if you think they will stay in, or pursuit if you think they will switch out. Floatzel is also a good switch in on Misdrevous if that Misdrevous is not running thunderbolt. Another answer to the ghost weakness is Pawniard with pursuit, you just need prior damage on the Misdrevous & the Gourgeist.
A good answer to steel types that would give this sweep a problem, is Probopass with air balloon & magnet pull with 96 speed EVs to out speed other Probopass trappers. Do not run Probopass with Furfrou if you are already using Pawniard.
Zebstrika might also be a problem as well as Avalugg or Piloswine with roar. If you're at +2 though then sucker punch will knock out the Zebstrika.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Furfrou @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Lum Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Work Up
- Return
- U-turn / Refresh / Thunder Wave
- Sucker Punch / Bite
Set I've been working on for awhile to try to spice stuff up in the meta. (Thanks to Taps & UltimaJC for helping me out with this.) Furfrou has a really good speed tier & I wanted to make it a set up sweeper based off that as well as it's unique ability. I put 40 EVs in Defense for a little added bulk. U-turn allows for you have to momentum if you want to psyche someone out into thinking you're going in for an early sweep. Refresh is for if you're having trouble with status conditions. Thunder wave is for predictions or if you want to slow down some speedy pokes. Sucker Punch is nice priority but if you feel like using Bite for pesky ghosts, then be my guest.
You could run a bulkier version of this EVs: 148 Atk / 136 Def / 224 Spe Impish Nature (same move sets) & have it be run with Solrock with the moves: Baton Pass / Reflect / Light Screen / & Steal Rock. I recommend using the set ups for mid to late game.
A really good poke to use with Furfrou is Floatzel. Floatzel with Choice Band & Water Veil with the moves: Pursuit / Waterfall / Switcheroo / & Ice Punch can help get rid of Gourgeist. You can U-turn on the prediction of Gourgeist coming & choose whether to switcheroo if you think they will stay in, or pursuit if you think they will switch out. Floatzel is also a good switch in on Misdrevous if that Misdrevous is not running thunderbolt. Another answer to the ghost weakness is Pawniard with pursuit, you just need prior damage on the Misdrevous & the Gourgeist.
A good answer to steel types that would give this sweep a problem, is Probopass with air balloon & magnet pull with 96 speed EVs to out speed other Probopass trappers. Do not run Probopass with Furfrou if you are already using Pawniard.
Zebstrika might also be a problem as well as Avalugg or Piloswine with roar. If you're at +2 though then sucker punch will knock out the Zebstrika.
Why the 40 defense? What do you live with it? That's kinda important to explain. It just says "extra bulk"

Why the 40 defense? What do you live with it? That's kinda important to explain. It just says "extra bulk"
To be honest, it is just for extra bulk. Thanks for asking that by the way. I just found that against some pokemon (I forget which ones & I do apologize for that) in battles that it is able to take hits a little better and it doesn't go down to Life Orb damage too quickly. Plus, when putting an EV into defense, (thanks to the ability) it's like putting in 2 EVs. I figured I take advantage of that a little bit.

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I would first like to start this post by saying that it might be on the longer side. I'm about to pitch a mon that seems bad but hopefully I can show its viability. I've been watching infomercials to get myself hyped for this. Without further ado, Emolga.

Emolga
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
Argument 1: But Jumpluff

The first thing that most of you would think of when you see acrobatics is Jumpluff and why you would use an E-rank over an A+ rank. Emolga and Jumpluff have similarities in acrobatics as well as having a decent base speed.
Jumpluff and Emolga comparisons:

Jumpluff is faster, more bulky, and weaker. Emolga has different stab moves, a debatable better typing, and a higher attack.
Jumpluff has chlorophyll to double speed in sun and infiltrator to go through screens and subs. Emolga has static (Highly not recommended) and motor drive.
While Emolga has an electric immunity, the lower base speed will cause you to be slower than these following mons that jumpluff can either speed tie or be faster than (Base speeds only; choice scarf not included): Other Jumpluff, Kadabra, Meowstic, Raichu, Rapidash, Electabuzz, random fast LC thing.

Calcs of Emolga vs Jumpluff:

252 Atk Jumpluff Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 138-165 (39.2 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Emolga Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 90-108 (25.5 - 30.6%) -- 1.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

But let's be honest, you would volt switch on carracosta. 0- SpA Emolga Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 114-135 (32.3 - 38.3%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 134-158 (35.8 - 42.2%) -- 89.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 158-188 (42.2 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 168-200 (61.9 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 200-236 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 109-130 (25.7 - 30.6%) -- 3.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Lickilicky: 130-154 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 76-91 (23.4 - 28%) -- 89.5% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 93-109 (28.7 - 33.6%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO

What I would recommend with emolga is to knock off first and then use acrobatics.

252 Atk Emolga Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 108-128 (33.3 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Misdreavus: 136-162 (41.9 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mr. Mime: 148-175 (66.9 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mr. Mime: 177-208 (80 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 133-157 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 159-187 (55.4 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 76-90 (23.5 - 27.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 91-108 (28.1 - 33.4%) -- 90.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

But let's be honest, you will use either volt switch or wild charge.

0- SpA Emolga Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 288-340 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Emolga Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pelipper: 300-352 (92.8 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 156-186 (40.7 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 186-222 (48.5 - 57.9%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm getting really tired of posting calcs, so only two more. I promise.
252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 240-284 (60.9 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Jumpluff Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 76-90 (26.1 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Emolga Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 91-108 (31.2 - 37.1%) -- 78.1% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Emolga Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 107-127 (36.7 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

These calcs are in no way saying that emolga is better than Jumpluff. I'm just trying to show that emolga, in certain situations, can perform better than Jumpluff. I understand that Jumpluff gets access to moves such as sleep powder and swords dance, but these moves can alos hurt you. You can easily miss a sleep powder or use swords dance predicting a switch or for them to not have an effective move to hit you and get punished for it.

I lied, more calcs:

0 Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jumpluff: 232-276 (79.7 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Emolga: 132-156 (52.5 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jumpluff: 216-256 (74.2 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Emolga: 154-182 (61.3 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Argument 2: Surprise Factor
When you bring an Emolga into a battle, two things will happen. 1). The opponent will be confused upon the mere sight of it. 2). Once they recover, they think it is some kind of gimmick set like sub, baton pass. Then they get hit by an acrobatics.

Argument 3: Talking about move set
A down side to emolga is that its electric move pool could be better. The physical electric moves you have a choice of are spark, wild charge, and nuzzle (Could consider using nuzzle just for the 100% para. Still in testing.) Spark is a tad too weak and wild charge will hit you with recoil. Now, let's discuss U-Turn vs. Volt Switch. Volt switch should be used for carracosta. If you are jolly nature, you will either lower one of your already poor defenses or lower your special attack. Lowering your special attack makes volt switch less effective, but lowering one of your defenses makes you take more damage, but have a stronger volt switch. U-turn is not stab, but it can be used on ground types or pokemon that have an electric immunity through an ability. In the end, use whatever move you prefer the most. And last but not least, knock off. Yes, this little flying squirrel thing can use the move that defines Gen 6. Knocking off items such as life orb, eviolite, choice items, leftovers, or any other item is a plus in my book and can turn the battle in your favour.

Final Thoughts:
Jumpluff and Emolga are entirely different things that happen to share one move. They may or may not be able to be interchanged, but emolga definitely deserves to be used more than it already is. Hopefully I have shown you guys that emolga is in fact, buried treasure in the PU tier.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey Official Fissure, I've been using Emolga for some time, and I found the best set is:

Emolga @
Ability: Motor Drive
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch
- Encore

With this set, you can easily switch into Volt Switches and either Encore if they're not choiced and are staying in, or you can Knock Off the switch-in to remove an item.

For example, Rapidash is Encored into Wild Charge; Raichu and Zebstrika can be Encored into Volt Switch or Thunderbolt; even strange things like Dusknoir can be Encored into Thunderpunch if you have something to lure the Electric type hit (Swanna or Pelipper, for example). Encore works against naturally faster mons with Electric type coverage thanks to the +1 to Speed gained via Motor Drive, which is something your opponent will sometimes forget.

This thing lets you grab momentum really easily; also cripples Pokemon that are setting up or Wish passers like Lickilicky with Encore in the same way that Kadabra or LO Mr. Mime would.

I was testing it out against Dundies on the ladder under an alt: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-221704768. It may not be A+ rank material like Jumpluff is, but it works well enough if you build around it. It could probably be placed in C or C+ rank with this specific set.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I agree with these posts. Emolga is in no way a trash pokemon like Dedenne, just the situations are very rare where you would want to use it over Raichu, Zebstrika, or Jumpluff. But these situations do exist.

I think Roost should be slashed on the AcroSquirrel set somewhere, because Emolga does actually have a very strong defensive typing despite its crap bulk. It can switch into Machoke (fuk Dynamicpunch) and Leafeon pretty easily due to its knock off "resist". It also more or less walls Raichu without HP ice, and Jumpluff if sleep powder did not exist.

Also, I think special Emolga with a life orb could be viable. Life orb boosted air slash only hits a bit less than itemless acrobatics, but has a nice flinch rate, and a strong thunderbolt is always very nice. Essentially it is like Zebstrika except air slash doesn't lower its SpA.

Another cool option Emolga has is tailwind, but it is hard to use effectively.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I seriously dont understand how emolga has any niche at all. Even if you are running a physical stat, 75 attack and no boosting options arent going to be very effective at doing anything. I would still rather use jumpluff who can do similar things (recover/pivot out), while has an alright typing for switching in along with decent utility and nice bulk. Even if pluff has more weaknesses, they arent very common (minus flying which is still not very common), and it has a resistance to water, while emolga has resistances to flying, of which all screw it, steal & bug which arent common. So the only niche emolga has is checking flying types, of which it cannot switch into, and if you want an offensive electric you would chose one which can beat ground types, like raichu, which also has more speed/bulk/power.

Regarding what people are saying:
Argument 1: But Jumpluff

The first thing that most of you would think of when you see acrobatics is Jumpluff and why you would use an E-rank over an A+ rank. Emolga and Jumpluff have similarities in acrobatics as well as having a decent base speed.
Jumpluff and Emolga comparisons:

Jumpluff is faster, more bulky, and weaker. Emolga has different stab moves, a debatable better typing, and a higher attack.
Jumpluff has chlorophyll to double speed in sun and infiltrator to go through screens and subs. Emolga has static (Highly not recommended) and motor drive.
While Emolga has an electric immunity, the lower base speed will cause you to be slower than these following mons that jumpluff can either speed tie or be faster than (Base speeds only; choice scarf not included): Other Jumpluff, Kadabra, Meowstic, Raichu, Rapidash, Electabuzz, random fast LC thing.

These calcs are in no way saying that emolga is better than Jumpluff. I'm just trying to show that emolga, in certain situations, can perform better than Jumpluff. I understand that Jumpluff gets access to moves such as sleep powder and swords dance, but these moves can alos hurt you. You can easily miss a sleep powder or use swords dance predicting a switch or for them to not have an effective move to hit you and get punished for it.
OK, so emolga has more power than jumpluff, but it is still very weak, whereas jumpluff has swords dance and all that speed along with the ability to check costa. That last bit about missing sleep powder or over predicting is incredibly stupid, as i am not going to use emolga over jumpluff as sleep powder can miss, or that you can overpredict. So emolgas niche is its electric immunity? That isnt great considering every electric type can wreck it with coverage

Argument 2: Surprise Factor
When you bring an Emolga into a battle, two things will happen. 1). The opponent will be confused upon the mere sight of it. 2). Once they recover, they think it is some kind of gimmick set like sub, baton pass. Then they get hit by an acrobatics.
That again isnt a great argument, as just because you dont expect it doesnt mean the poke is good. Im also not leaving in my grass/fighting/bug type in on it

Argument 3: Talking about move set
A down side to emolga is that its electric move pool could be better. The physical electric moves you have a choice of are spark, wild charge, and nuzzle (Could consider using nuzzle just for the 100% para. Still in testing.) Spark is a tad too weak and wild charge will hit you with recoil. Now, let's discuss U-Turn vs. Volt Switch. Volt switch should be used for carracosta. If you are jolly nature, you will either lower one of your already poor defenses or lower your special attack. Lowering your special attack makes volt switch less effective, but lowering one of your defenses makes you take more damage, but have a stronger volt switch. U-turn is not stab, but it can be used on ground types or pokemon that have an electric immunity through an ability. In the end, use whatever move you prefer the most. And last but not least, knock off. Yes, this little flying squirrel thing can use the move that defines Gen 6. Knocking off items such as life orb, eviolite, choice items, leftovers, or any other item is a plus in my book and can turn the battle in your favour.
That isnt really an argument to use emolga, thats just saying it has a bad movepool. Knock off isnt really helping its shitty attack/bulk much.

With this set, you can easily switch into Volt Switches and either Encore if they're not choiced and are staying in, or you can Knock Off the switch-in to remove an item.

For example, Rapidash is Encored into Wild Charge; Raichu and Zebstrika can be Encored into Volt Switch or Thunderbolt; even strange things like Dusknoir can be Encored into Thunderpunch if you have something to lure the Electric type hit (Swanna or Pelipper, for example). Encore works against naturally faster mons with Electric type coverage thanks to the +1 to Speed gained via Motor Drive, which is something your opponent will sometimes forget.
I can never see this happening. Do you ever switch raichu into an electric attack? no as you dont want it to be hit hard by a focus blast/overheat. Even with +1 speed emolga isnt doing much with its terrible attack stat and mediocre bulk

This thing lets you grab momentum really easily; also cripples Pokemon that are setting up or Wish passers like Lickilicky with Encore in the same way that Kadabra or LO Mr. Mime would.

I was testing it out against Dundies on the ladder under an alt: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-221704768. It may not be A+ rank material like Jumpluff is, but it works well enough if you build around it. It could probably be placed in C or C+ rank with this specific set.
Raichu also gets encore, while also having existent attack stats and coverage. C rank may not be the highest of ranks, but there are some actual viable stuff like illimuse which i would use on a serious team as it has a proper niche.

I agree with these posts. Emolga is in no way a trash pokemon like Dedenne, just the situations are very rare where you would want to use it over Raichu, Zebstrika, or Jumpluff. But these situations do exist.
Care to say some situations? The only time i can think of is er...

I think Roost should be slashed on the AcroSquirrel set somewhere, because Emolga does actually have a very strong defensive typing despite its crap bulk. It can switch into Machoke (fuk Dynamicpunch) and Leafeon pretty easily due to its knock off "resist". It also more or less walls Raichu without HP ice, and Jumpluff if sleep powder did not exist.

Also, I think special Emolga with a life orb could be viable. Life orb boosted air slash only hits a bit less than itemless acrobatics, but has a nice flinch rate, and a strong thunderbolt is always very nice. Essentially it is like Zebstrika except air slash doesn't lower its SpA.
It cant switch into those pokes, as machoke can hit it with ice punch, leafeon 2HKOs without hazards, raichu always run hp ice, and even if something is already to sleep, pluff does 70% with a +2 acrobatics.

I dont see why you would use special emolga, even if air slash acts like overheat (which it doesnt) you are still sitting at a much worse speed tier.

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
You made some good points Anty, and I think we overhyped Emolga a bit, but I still think it has reasons to be used over Raichu, Zebstrika, and Jumpluff.

Reasons to use it over Raichu:

-Can switch into grass type attacks such as Tangela’s giga drain
-Can beat grass types with its STAB move
-Can switch into ground type attacks such as Probopass’s Earth Power and encore it
-Has U-turn for keeping momentum on ground types
-Tailwind is also an option
-Motor drive + encore

Reasons to use it over Zebstrika:
-Can switch into standard Torterra
-Encore is amazing for keeping momentum
-Doesn’t become automatically useless if Piloswine is on the other team, as it gets U-turn and knock off
-Tailwind is an option

Reasons to use it over Jumpluff:
-More immediate power
-Can switch into flying type attacks
-Electric STAB
-Other support options like Knock off, Tailwind, and volt switch

The thing about Emolga’s motor drive that makes it more usable than Raichu’s lightningrod is that it outspeeds everything after the boosts. For example, Emolga can switch into Zebstrika’s thunderbolt, OUTSPEED it, and then encore it. Raichu can’t do that for example as even if it switches in on thunderbolt, it is still outsped and smacked by life orb overheat.

Also, I can’t believe no one has mentioned this: the combination of Motor Drive + Baton pass is sexy as fuck. After switching into an electric type attack, the opponent could predict the encore and switch out, which means you can baton pass, gaining one million momentums in the process :pimp:

Emolga probably has enough going for it to be at least C- or D ranking. (Yeah, this conversation should probably have been in the VR Thread)

Here's a set that I feel is underused and very underrated:

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

With Munchlax's extreme special bulk, it is able to take on so many major threats in the tier, such as Ninetales, Zebstrika, or almost any other special attacker in the tier, it usually gets the chance to set up. Pokemon that switch in to setup alongside it such as Leafeon are threatened by the chance of paralysis from Body Slam. Alongside a Pursuit trapper (usually Pawniard) this thing just sweeps through unprepared teams.

Damage to Munchlax
+6 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax: 183-216 (38.6 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 252 SpA Life Orb Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 199-234 (42 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 75-90 (15.8 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Poliwrath Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 152-182 (32.1 - 38.4%) -- 97.2% chance to 3HKO - LOL

Damage from Munchlax
8 Atk Munchlax Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 102-121 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
8 Atk Munchlax Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 118-139 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Stole this from NU:

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

With Seed Bomb, Ursaring is able to break through Carracosta much easier, while ohko'ing Barbaracle and ohko'ing Golem after rocks. With Seed Bomb, Ursaring is able to open wide holes for mons that may have otherwise been walled hard by Costa or had difficulties with Golem, such as Dodrio, Pawniard, Rapidash, etc. Seed Bomb is a cool option to break walls easier, and doesn't have to resort to defense drops to beat Barbaracle and Golem, making it less prone to priority such as Pawniard Sucker Punch, Basculin Aqua Jet, etc. I would give this set a shot.
252 Atk Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 156-186 (44.4 - 52.9%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 309-366 (88 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Barbaracle: 312-368 (109.4 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Poliwrath: 182-216 (49 - 58.2%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (In case your Toxic Orb got knocked off or tricked for some stupid reason)

252 Atk Ursaring Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golem: 280-332 (93 - 110.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Rampardos @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Zen Headbutt

Bringing something slightly different and uncommon today, because I wanted to try Rampardos but hardly found any space to splash it in a team with a set such as the Life Orb Wallbreaker or the Anti-Lead, as they was pretty much underwhelming most of the time and honestly not worth using. I decided to try out a Choice Scarf set, which seemed good, as it gave Rampardos enough speed to outpace nearly everything apart from other Choice Scarf users or extremely fast Pokemon such as Zebstrika and Floatzel, but still keeping an insanely high Attack for the tier, which coupled with STAB Head Smash and a respectable coverage and the surprise factor, made it a threatening revenge killer and even a cleaner at times, especially in a tier such offensively-oriented as it is now, where a team hardly finds any switch ins for this beast and just relies on revengekilling. Unfortunately I didn't manage to save logs because I wasn't thinking of posting this set initially but o well. Coverage moves can be replaced by others such as Stone Edge / Rock Slide if recoil bothers too much, but it just depends on the team necessity most of the times.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You made some good points Anty, and I think we overhyped Emolga a bit, but I still think it has reasons to be used over Raichu, Zebstrika, and Jumpluff.

Reasons to use it over Raichu:

-Can switch into grass type attacks such as Tangela’s giga drain
-Can beat grass types with its STAB move
-Can switch into ground type attacks such as Probopass’s Earth Power and encore it
-Has U-turn for keeping momentum on ground types
-Tailwind is also an option
-Motor drive + encore
Emolga is too scared of switching in to most grass types as pretty much all of them run coverage that screws it (it also has over 25% chance to be 2HKOd by tangela giga with rocks). Rose is the only grass i can think of which is properly relevant. There is only 1 ground type that can switch into raichu. Tailwind is stupidly niche and it isnt even mentioned on the sets. Motor drive encore is also incredibly unreliable and doesnt mean emolga is doing anything in the battle (encore raichu is bad but still better than emolga). So its niche over raichu is uturning on stunfisk and having a better matchup vs rose, whereas you lose a lot of power and coverage, meaning you get walled easily, and speed + bulk.

Reasons to use it over Zebstrika:
-Can switch into standard Torterra
-Encore is amazing for keeping momentum
-Doesn’t become automatically useless if Piloswine is on the other team, as it gets U-turn and knock off
-Tailwind is an option
Encore is predictable, and volt switch gets momentum anyway. Piloswine doesnt make it useless, as it is 3HKOd by zeb, meaning with correct predicts (which zeb has the upper hand) pilo switches in once. Torterra has 4 sets, 3 carry stone edge, and the other does 57% minimum with wood hammer, also zeb can OHKO torterra unlike emolga. As i said, tailwind is bad. So its niche over zeb is uturning on one poke...

Reasons to use it over Jumpluff:
-More immediate power
-Can switch into flying type attacks
-Electric STAB
-Other support options like Knock off, Tailwind, and volt switch
OK it does have more power, but it is still incredibly weak and lacks SD. The only flying type its switching into is jumpluff (then it gets slept), as all others have a secondary stab and most still do heavy damage (dodrios BB OHKOs after rocks). Electric stab hits flying types while grass stab hits rock and ground, and jumpluff can hurt flying types whereas emolga struggles to do so to the majority of ground and rocks. Jumpluff has better support in memento and sleep powder, while also having uturn. So again there is a very small niche, being its slight more power (which again is weak), and its electric stab which doesnt do much.

The thing about Emolga’s motor drive that makes it more usable than Raichu’s lightningrod is that it outspeeds everything after the boosts. For example, Emolga can switch into Zebstrika’s thunderbolt, OUTSPEED it, and then encore it. Raichu can’t do that for example as even if it switches in on thunderbolt, it is still outsped and smacked by life orb overheat.
How many times is this working? If you see a rapidash you tend to avoid going for fire attacks, if you see a poliwrath you try and avoid water attacks. Raichu doesnt use encore to lock shit into electric attacks, and even if it had lrod it still wouldnt. Also how threatening is a +2 speed emolga, ie a poke with 75 attack stat and no boosting item or move...

Also, I can’t believe no one has mentioned this: the combination of Motor Drive + Baton pass is sexy as fuck. After switching into an electric type attack, the opponent could predict the encore and switch out, which means you can baton pass, gaining one million momentums in the process :pimp:

Emolga probably has enough going for it to be at least C- or D ranking. (Yeah, this conversation should probably have been in the VR Thread)
As i said motor drive is unreliable AF and there are much better pokes that can gain momentum (any of the above, rotom, leafeon, etc). You can make a post about it on the VR thread, but i will say that there is a reason why it wasnt ranked in the shift yesterday (someone suggested it when we were going through pokes).

-----------

Ok lets stop talking about emolga as it is derailing thread + look at title

Last edited:
Not A Car (Carbink) @ Leftovers/Kee Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Moonblast

Crobink is personally the best Carbink set, while a lot of Pokés have Stealth Rock, Carbink has a solid STAB, a decent bulk and acces to Calm Mind.
Leftovers gives a passive Recovery while Kee Berry raises it defensive when hit by a Physical Move.
252 HP and 252 Def are standard, 4 speed is for outspeeding non invested 50 bases(even other crobink).
Using Carbink over duosion is an option against fire(such as rapidash), dark(Mightyena).
Good partners:
Poliwrath, controling water, ground and steel.
Gourgeist-Small, weakining physical attack from physical sweepers.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Based physical Raichu.

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail
- Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice

Special Raichu is Spikes fodder for Roselia and walled by most special walls not hit super effectively by it, such as Grumpig and Clefairy. Physical Raichu aims to lure and beat Roselia, Clefairy, Grumpig, etc, while still keeping momentum with Volt Switch. Knock Off + Iron Tail deals with all Roselia variants and Life Orb Volt Tackle hits like a truck, 2HKOing more or less all Pokemon that do not resist Electric on the switch with Stealth Rock up. Unfortunately this set is hard walled by Torterra so Hidden Power Ice is an option over Volt Switch if you aren't worried about keeping momentum. Extremespeed and Choice Band are also things to consider, but Raichu already outspeeds most Pokemon and you have to give up Volt Tackle for Extremespeed, while Choice Band hits like a truck but gives up the ability to switch moves. Overall standard special Raichu is better but physical Raichu is actually pretty good and takes advantage of common switch ins.

252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Eviolite Roselia: 109-129 (35.8 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Roselia: 168-198 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 304-359 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 265-312 (77 - 90.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Based physical Raichu.

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail
- Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice

Special Raichu is Spikes fodder for Roselia and walled by most special walls not hit super effectively by it, such as Grumpig and Clefairy. Physical Raichu aims to lure and beat Roselia, Clefairy, Grumpig, etc, while still keeping momentum with Volt Switch. Knock Off + Iron Tail deals with all Roselia variants and Life Orb Volt Tackle hits like a truck, 2HKOing more or less all Pokemon that do not resist Electric on the switch with Stealth Rock up. Unfortunately this set is hard walled by Torterra so Hidden Power Ice is an option over Volt Switch if you aren't worried about keeping momentum. Extremespeed and Choice Band are also things to consider, but Raichu already outspeeds most Pokemon and you have to give up Volt Tackle for Extremespeed, while Choice Band hits like a truck but gives up the ability to switch moves. Overall standard special Raichu is better but physical Raichu is actually pretty good and takes advantage of common switch ins.

252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Eviolite Roselia: 109-129 (35.8 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Roselia: 168-198 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 304-359 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Raichu Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 265-312 (77 - 90.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Slash Espeed last slot, but I like

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Slash Espeed last slot, but I like
I personally think Volt Tackle is way more important than Extremespeed because Raichu sits at a good speed tier already, but Extremespeed is indeed a good option if you want some extra insurance against faster threats.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
Since i will be gone for a while i might as well dump a couple innovations here (these are funnest/most effective)
sorry no official music video

Floatzel @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Baton Pass
This is probably has the best success/gimmick ratio (trc/scorp/mag can confirm this). It was made to help check costa (water veil gives +1 spatk from water moves), but came more useful as it acted as a nice soft check to pokes like simipour, as most teams have a water type and even if they dont u also bluff the specs. The main problem with floatzel is its too weak w/o a boost and too limited by specs

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
Not too innovative but it basically baits in opposing ninetales, rapidash and probo. Pretty niche but psyshock and dark pulse are also quite situational

Poliwrath @ Salac Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Return
Unlike the rain dance variant this is actually viable, as it can actually sweep. normal water coverage is p great in this metagame hitting all but gourg which has had a drop in usage lately. Its easy to set up (hp is for sub + drum to active salac), then only like avalugg/tangela/gourg actually take it on, also be careful of scarfers (wrath resists almost every priority which is nice). Speed beats zeb at +1, also pair with memento jumpluff (it gets a lot of set up opportunities anyway).

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rock Blast
This has a dusclops syndrome of being naturally hated despite the fact it isnt too bad since it checks a lot like ursaring and stout while can reliably get up rocks (or spin which is an option). Toxic + knock do annoy wrath, and provide overall nice utility and then rock blast doesnt hit that bad bc armaldo has natural power.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
Not sure how innovative this is but its the main set i have been using since XY where it would stop kricketune, still check fire types, and provide unexpected power. It has been working throughout the metas, from 2HKOing greedy NP missy's to surprising pawniards. I use max speed for stoutland but im sure there are probably better options

Haunter @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
I think i stole this from bw nu, but its not that bad in this metagame as it has quite a few resistances and really good utility. The speed beats stoutland then in ph def which lets it even take a stoutland cb return, i guess sdef can work. Moves like taunt can work to beat stuff like pilo and also more spatk and maybe other moves (tho it beats probo and most rocks hate this).

Stantler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Earthquake
- Return
I had to include this as it is one of my first and pro-est innovations. It originally worked in a normal spam core, as shadow ball baits missy/ghosts, then eball baits wrath and pilo. I had tbolt for stuff like pelipper but now in pawn/probo meta eq is better (jump kick is probably better but arbok fucked my team and i missed with it once), and ofc return is main STAB.

c'ya

Stantler @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Earthquake
- Return
I had to include this as it is one of my first and pro-est innovations. It originally worked in a normal spam core, as shadow ball baits missy/ghosts, then eball baits wrath and pilo. I had tbolt for stuff like pelipper but now in pawn/probo meta eq is better (jump kick is probably better but arbok fucked my team and i missed with it once), and ofc return is main STAB.

c'ya

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Floatzel @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Baton Pass
This is probably has the best success/gimmick ratio (trc/scorp/mag can confirm this). It was made to help check costa (water veil gives +1 spatk from water moves), but came more useful as it acted as a nice soft check to pokes like simipour, as most teams have a water type and even if they dont u also bluff the specs. The main problem with floatzel is its too weak w/o a boost and too limited by specs
You meant Absorb bulb there, right? Seems like a fun set regardless. Passing +1 could be interesting, too.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Zebstrika @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 92 Atk / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Me First
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt

This was something I posted a while back in the NBT thread as a solid lure for Ground Types such as Golem and Probopass and forgot to post here. If you want more information on the set you can check here.

All calcs take into matter that Me First boosts the base power of a move by 150%.

112 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Earth Power vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Probopass: 338-400 (111.1 - 131.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

112 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Chatot: 365-430 (124.5 - 146.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (if it's behind a sub)

92 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Golem: 247-291 (82 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

112 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Torkoal: 322-380 (114.5 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

112 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 265-312 (82.5 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

92 Atk Life Orb Zebstrika Drill Run vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rapidash: 328-387 (121 - 142.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

112 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sneasel: 153-181 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

112 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mr. Mime: 103-122 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- 66.4% chance to 2HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)