Elder Stalls--Generation V Stall

5th Gen. stall proved to be quite the challenge. I remember, back with generation IV, when stall was more straightforward, that I had a stall team the faired very decently. Putting the ol' team back together and going for a couple test runs yielded less-than-jubilant results, and so, after much trial and error, I have come up with this Generation V stall team that has faired me relatively decently, with few exceptions. Now, without further adieu, onto the team!

Team Building

In my previous team, I had a running sandstorm which provided me with some good residual damage to the opponent. With this in mind, I chose my old favorite, Hippowdon.

Next, I despite Hippowdown's lovely defenses, I required a physical wall, and someone to complete the spike set. Skarmory and Forretress were both very applicable choices, but I decided to go with the Gen V wall for reasons to be explained later, Ferrathorn.

Now, because of the way Ferrathorn was set up, I required a healer for when he was too low on health, as long as a special wall. Obviously, I chose one my all-time favorite stall Pokemon (eff off Chansey, I don't care if you got a new item, you'll never be the same); Blissey.

With two spikers, a healer, and a defensive wall, it was time to get a Pokemon that could shuffle up their team with relative ease. I thought about Skarmory for this, but, with the apparent larger amount of fire moves going around, I decided against this. First I chose Dragonite, then it moved on to Garchomp, and then, finally, Salamence, who proved to be the most useful overall.

Now, I looked at my team, and noticed quickly that there would be no way to deal with new threats very easily such as Conkedurr (Sp?) and Renicullis (Sp?). Moreover, I only had one SpD wall. The Pokemon that I initially chose for this was Dusklops, as he also was rapid spin protection, but soon I changed to Latias, whom was much more useful and worked much better in synergy with my team.

With one slots left, I decided it was time to get a rapid spinner on my team, because, obviously it would not be good if I become out-stalled by another team. Oh Excadrill, you are a saint. Excadrill became my rapid spinner AND revenge killer because of his nice ability of doubling speed in a sandstorm. He really helped my team find its balance. With such insane speed, attack, and well placed defensive, he has served me extremely well in countering all threats.

In DepthLook

Hippowdon @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang

Overview: This is the standard lead for my team. He starts off the battle strong with sandstorm, which usually gets its way because of Hippowdon's slower speed. He also is my initial spiker. Most of the time, Hippowdon starts out strong and leads the game in my favor without much effort.

Moveset: This is relatively simple. Earthquake should be pretty obvious, along with stealth rock and Slack Off. I use to have roar on this guy, but I've since changed it to Ice Fang after encountering an increase of taunters such as Azelf or Aerodactyl. The Ice Fang usually catches them off guard and cripples their lead. Moreover, it helps me rid myself of dragon threats and levitating foes.

EV's: I'm just using the EV's from the Hippowdon from my old team. I haven't really put them to too much of a test yet, and so they are subject to change. Advice would be much appreciated here.

Playing: Usually I keep to the prime directive (yes, my Pokemon are also named after Star Trek characters) and do as much as I can to get the stealth rock out there. Even when against a Politoed, it appears as though my EV's in special defense are enough to keep Hippowdon long enough to get out those rocks before switching. However, if the opponent leads with a sweeper that I know I cannot beat, I will usually switch to either Latias or Ferrathorn appropriately.

Comments: I don't really do much with this guy after the initial opening, which I know I shouldn't really do. I guess he does have his time to shine though. At times I will sacrifice him just to change the weather, which has, surprisingly worked. I have him equipped with a Sitrus Berry because he usually doesn't stay out for an exceedingly lengthy amount of time, and it gives him the extra health to survive some hard hits that would normally kill him so that he can get out those rocks.

Ferrathorn @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
Spe IV: 0
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Overview: This guy has served many purposes on my team. Whether it be killing that effing Politoed, countering that trick room team, or setting up spikes, this guy does it all. One thing to note is his basic set up. Switching Ferrathorn into a physical attack usually yields the opponent out over 1/2 of their health depleted after Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, Sandstorm, and hazards that I've set on their field.

Moveset: I first had him with protect so that he could get the extra leech seed in, but soon I noticed that this rather useless as the opponent would usually switch into something with fire, thus forcing my little guy to switch out, thus I changed to the much more useful Power Whip. Gyro Ball deals out heavy damage with Ferrathorn's total speed of 40; it usually gets its full power of 120, thus killing or crippling the enemy. Switching him in usually gives me a free spike set up, as well as a substantial amount of damage on the opponent. Leech Seed serves as recovery.

EV's: Just like Hippowdon, I'm unsure of whether or not I like the EV's on Ferrathorn. I liked leaning them a little more to the defensive side so that he would take very minimal damage while still being able to deal back large amounts of damage with rocky helmet + iron barbs (1/6 + 1/8 of opponents HP). Yet again, suggestions are welcome here.

Playing: Like I've said before, I tend to switch him in on a physical attack. Afterwards, I usually don't switch him out, at least, not for a long time. I usually misjudge the opponent which yields this guy dead, but he always takes down someone with him, not like that's any way to think. After setting up stealth rocks, I usually switch into him because he serves as a wall for both special and physical defense, and then proceed with spikes. Like with Hippowdon, I am rather reckless when spiking.

Comments: I think that I let this guy die too easily, I must remember to keep him around more, although, I don't know if it has something to do with his EV's; I'm much too lazy to do calculations at the moment. Gyro ball is very useful, I've tried to seep with him before, and it has worked on occasion.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss

Overview: Probably my most basic team member, Blissey is relatively straight forward. Counter that special sweeper. Toxic stall them and then do constant damage with Seismic Toss. Wish helps heal my team and herself (himself?) Oh, and I don't know why, but I don't like Chansey, I tried her, and it didn't seem right, I will not change.

Moveset: Pretty easy to understand here:
Wish: Heal team.
Protect: Scout, heal self, extra Toxic damage.
Toxic: Wear down opponent.
Seismic Toss: Constant damage, wear down opponent (with 32 PP, how can you go wrong? And yes, this has saved me in PP battles)

EV's: Just like last gen, this gives her the added defensive to survive a hit and come back with wish. She has enough SpD, and the HP gives everyone on my team a full heal.

Playing: Switch into special attacker. Toxic or Seismic toss, wish if low on HP or want to wish pass, Protect if sandstorm/ toxic will become fatal. Pretty easy.

Comments: I may or may not want to change one of her moves to Heal Bell, I've been caught in a few situations where status affections plague me. Unsure of this though. . . Maybe Change Seismic toss to something else.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower

Overview: This was an interesting choice for my team. I wanted something that would cover some of my weaknesses, ie, Breloom. While I tried Dragonite and Garchomp, both of them had flaws, and both could be killed without too much difficulty. Finally, I came across Salamence (no longer banned in gen V) who made my problems "go away." Quite literally as it seems.

Moveset: Wish + protect turns Salamence into nasty little wall, stalling out the opponent while staying alive. Flamethrower is there to keep threats such as Ferrathron and other defensives steels who get switched in in check. Dragon Tail is like a better version of roar, as it shuffles through the opponents Pokemon and also deals quite a bit of damage as well (after STAB and 306 base attack).

EV's: Relatively simple. HP and Defense EV's keep him alive as a defensive wall, while 32 Speed allows him to out speed Tyranitar so that I don't have any. . . problems. The impish nature is because I'd rather deal out an average amount of larger damage with dragon tail then to try to sweep with flamethrower, which is rarely used anyway.

Playing: I play with Salamence rather nonchalant. I switch him in whenever it seems appropriate, or when I need a defensive wall. Intimidate is extremely useful because having the opponent's attack is like doubling my defense, which makes Salamence a 393 HP 556 Def Wall, which means that the opponent will either switch, or, more commonly fight, which means that they will be switched while taking damage. The only problem I have sometimes with this is that he is sometimes afflicted with status problems which pose as quite a large problem for me.

Comments: I play like a brute with this guy, which doesn't always seem to end in my favor. Sometimes I'll wish too late, which makes him dead, which is very unhelpful, because. So, I'm thinking about maybe having roost instead of wish, and then dragon claw instead of protect, but this is doubtful: double wish passing is really useful, and protect has also saved me a few times.

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Recover

Overview: With the considerable lack of Rapid Spinners nowadays, I decided that I could replace my previous spin blocker with something of much more use (coupled with the fact that Rotom-h is now Fire/Electric type). Latias brings a lot to the table, and he pretty much secures the late game as well. His move set allows him to out preform other late game threats, as well as widdle away at the opponent's Pokemon.

Moveset: Calm mind is a very important move here, it allows Latias to match against common threats such as Reniclus (sp?). After a calm mind battle, I can easily just roar the foe away, leaving me with a +6/+6 and them with nothing (they usually forfeit after this). At endgame with spikes up, I can roar through their Pokemon (without calm mind) until they become nonexistent because of the constant small amounts amounts of damage. Dragon pulse provides me with an excellent move that can help me rid of troubles such as Conkedurr very quickly and effectively. It also can be used as a sweeping move after several calm minds. Recover keeps him afloat (literally), simple~

EV's: 252 HP allows Latias to be quite defensive and makes him a hard nut to crack. The 252 Spe EV's are especially important as they help to make sure that Latias moves first. This lets him set up his calm mind first, recover first, attack first--by making the first move, he makes sure that the battle is in my hands, not my opponents. (and control is what stall is all about, right?)

Playing: I switch in Latias kind of like I switch in Blissey. I'm rather reckless about it, but it usually ends well. If I get in a few calm minds I'm usually very negligent to switch out, and I'll also start to attack with Dragon Pulse. The only problem is that I sometimes find myself accidentally killing her in my puckish glee. Generally, I try to get in a calm mind or two, even if it doesn't seem very plausible, it strikes fear in the opponent and seems to make them think a little less. More predictable, good for me.

Comments: Overall, Latias has been really solid on my team, I don't think I'll switch him out as he has saved my arse quite a few times now. No real changes that I can think of for him at the moment, but I do require some more play testing. Oh, and Leftovers, of course, is to keep me afloat.

Excadrill @ Balloon
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Overview: Because the new generation is full of slow and very powerful Pokemon, I needed something that could take care of any major threats, anything that killed a member on my team had to be taken care of, thus, Excadrill was needed as a revenge killer, and by god, he fits the roll perfectly. Rapid spinner, sweeper, and able to come into status ailments (poison and paralysis) makes this guy a very fierce and substantial member of the team.

Moveset: When I bring out Excadrill, people are usually pretty predictable, thus yielding me a free rapid spin and/ or swords dance. Rapid spin should be of obvious use, and swords dance as well. If I predict right, I can usually sweep an entire team after one swords dance. Earthquake is the STAB move of choice, coupled with his 135 base attack, it's fearfully strong, even when "not very effective." Rock slide takes care of anything that Earthquake can't hit, simple.

EV's: 252 Atk and 252 Spe EV's put Excadrill at 369 Attack and 309 Speed. After sandstorm and (hopefully) a swords dance, that's 738 Atk and 618 Spe. Yeah, be afraid.

Playing: The balloon has proved to be an incredibly useful perk as it allows me to switch in on Earthquake along with status ailments. I'll also switch him in as a revenge killer. My method for him is pretty reckless like most of my other members of the team, and I also try to go for the win and/ or kill quite a lot instead of the rapid spin (which can be a mistake much of the time, but I get eager) This guy is great for killing many threats. I'll bring him in a lot against Pokemon who deal super-effective damage to me, just to surprise them with an Earthquake that kills them. I don't think that the sweeper is very expected on a stall team, and so I try to use that to my advantage.

Comments: This guy is amazing, one of my favorite new guys. I will definitely be using him in teams-to-come.

I am not very experienced at stall, but at first glance there are few problems that you face.

-No Spinblocker
-weak to last pokemon cm rank

This does look like a good team, however the lack of a spinblocker will often trouble you. All your hazards can be effortlessly spun away in a single turn by the opposing team. Also, while you do have a good cm rank check in Latias, Psyshock variants will eventually prevail if it is the last pokemon as it cannot be phazed. To deal with them I recommend using a Jellicent over Blissey. Jellicant can be a very good spinblocker stopping the common spinners like Hitmontop and Forretress. Starmie and Doryuuzu are the only ones who give it trouble but the former rarely uses RS while the latter can really beat every spinblocker out there. In addition Jellicent can use Taunt and Recover to outstall Rankurusu and eventually beat it. Try this set:

Jellicent@Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body/Water absorb
EVS: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature

Taunt
Recover
Boil Over/Surf
Will-o-wisp

This also frees up Latias's slot, as I don't think its serving any other purpose as of now apart from dealing with Rankurusu. For that Reason I would suggest you to replace him with a defensive Gliscor. Either of the Taunt+SD set or the Fling+Acrobat would work really. Gliscor helps you immensely in dealing with the likes of fighting types like Conkledurr and Terakion, who are troublesome to this team. He also fills up the reputed Gliscor+Nattorei+Jellicent core. I'm not saying that is mandatory but you might want to test it out.

Hi,

I suggest you change Nattorei to Skarmory. This is because a Jellicent + Skarmory + Hippowdon has to be my favourite core for any stall team. They resist EVERY type in the game so far, can set up SR + Spikes and also Spin blocks. It also has a reliable form of recovery.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

As every one knows CM Rank is the BIGGEST threat to stall. I see no reason for Blisey now since you have a good core. Change him to spcially defensive Scizor. It handles all Rankurusu and is great as a late game sweeper.

Scizor (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Change Salamence to ParaShuffler Dragonite.

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multi-Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail

Last thing is that Dory doesn't fit on this team. A weather counter is Birijion, another stall member is Tentacruel. Either way get rid of it.

GL

You mention that Salamence is weak to status. You already have healing from Blissey and I can't see what 244 speed is doing for Salamence, also Impish is lowering Flamethrowers power. Just thought I'd suggest a set. It's slower but still gets the speed creep on 252 Spe Adamant Breloom and doesn't fear sleep.

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Tail

I'm not sure how legal Sleep Talk and Dragon Tail are together but you can always use Roar for roughly the same set. I'm pretty sure it's a cold stop to most Breloom, if you come in on the Spore and they carry Stone Edge you may also be able to Dragon Tail them before they manage to use it. I'm pretty sure less Breloom are running Stone Edge at the moment so this is pretty much a cold stop.

I don't know much about Stall otherwise. Good luck.

Puckish glee....<< That made me feel warm inside..

@UnhandledException: So far I have faired pretty well, as in, I've rarely faced a team that uses rapid spin, and yes, there has been a time or two where final Pokemon CM rank has gotten me. I'm really leery, or more so pusillanimous, about removing Blissey from the team; he gives me a wonderful sense of security, and his wish-passing capabilities are truly amazing. Nonetheless, I will attempt your suggestion with the utmost hopes of high expectations. I do enjoy the core for which you've proposed.

@Dezza Laa: Yes, that does seem like a good core, but in my experience, it falls apart relatively easily. As I stated earlier, I've played around with a lot of different stall members, and that core just seems to unravel more easily than appreciated. Besides, Ferrathorn really covers some essential weaknesses on my team and has saved me multiple times with that. His ability to do 50% plus damage just by switching in is redoubtable, and I wouldn't give that up willingly. He also covers many many other threats that usually have to do with weather. CM rank is a threat, but he is easily kept in check with Latias, that is, unless he is the last pokemon, hence why I am going to try Unhandled's suggestion. As for Salamence, I don't think that I can give him up so easily. The intimate has saved me on countless occasions, and also, I'd need someone to wish pass if I no longer carry Blissey with me. Partaking in this change would also open me up to many more weaknesses. I'd have much harder of a time dealing with bulky steel type pokemon with that change. With the number of incredibly powerful pokemon that are also bulky, a revenge killer has appeared to be necessary. Excadrill has served me incredibly well with this, often saving me the match. However, I will attempt changing him to Scizzor. Brijion has too bad of typing for me to find him effective. He kinda sits there and dies.

@SmileZ: Even week, flamethrower still hits hard on bulky steel types and threats like Breloom. I like your idea to change the EV's, however. Dragon Tail has low priority (-3) I think, and so it will not strike Breloom before spore comes into effect. I usually sacrifice sleep on another pokemon, then switch out to mence. Mence halves Breloom's attack, easily survives the onslaught, and then puts it to rest with flame thrower. The rest sleep talk got predictable, as it seems, and so I stopped it. Oh yes, puckish glee, that's my favorite expression :D

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hello blond,

you have yourself quiet a stall team here and its really built brilliantly and for that i'm handing out a luvdisc for this. anyways, i disagree with making a huge change for this team and while you do seem to lack the spinner, rapid spin is normally a rarity in generation 5. my suggestions will be small so bare with me. firstly, leftovers should immediately replace sitrus berry because the 6% recovery is far more useful so you can combat with physical attackers better such as sd garchomp, sd landlos, to name a few. you already have slack off to regain some health back anyways, so sitrus berry looks easily replaceable at the moment.

now for the real major change i'm going to suggest: acrobat fling gliscor over salamence. just bare with this change at the moment because you are ultimately adding an excellent fighting type counter, along with the addition of completely walling an sd lo or balllon doryuzu (which could be problematic lategame). with your current team at the moment, you look extremely weak to bulk up conkeldurr and it can easily switch in on many of your members and set up. gliscor nearly shuts it cold and it isn't weak to stealth rock! consider a gliscor with the nature of impish and the evs 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe with the movesets fling / acrobat / eq / protect. fling is served primarily to lure and deal with those annoying taunt burungeru which seems to be problematic to your team as well. give this a shot over salamence!

as for other options, consider a simple 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spd sassy nature on ferrothorn only if you're considering to add gliscor to your team. this ultimately allows you to combat with special attackers much better should blissey's health not be in pristine condition. overall gl!

Alright, now for the test results of my first changes: (This was only two battles, but, you know)
I like Jellicent, he's proven of good use. I especially like Gliscor.
Scizor sucked Dragonite sucked.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I WILL NOT CHANGE EXCADRILL.

Test two:
We're going to try your suggestion, franky, they seem very applicable. I think I might have Gliscor of Salamnce, we'll test and see. I don't know If I'm going to keep Latias or Blissey in the other slot, or Jellicent, this needs more testing. I have not encountered a rapid spinner, so Jelicent's purpose there is rather, useless so far, but he does help my type covering.
Test Three:
I'll try the change on Ferrathron.

So I'm going to try Hipowdon with Roar, and then switch out Latias for Blissey and see how that works.

hello blond,

you have yourself quiet a stall team here and its really built brilliantly and for that i'm handing out a luvdisc for this. anyways, i disagree with making a huge change for this team and while you do seem to lack the spinner, rapid spin is normally a rarity in generation 5. my suggestions will be small so bare with me. firstly, leftovers should immediately replace sitrus berry because the 6% recovery is far more useful so you can combat with physical attackers better such as sd garchomp, sd landlos, to name a few. you already have slack off to regain some health back anyways, so sitrus berry looks easily replaceable at the moment.

now for the real major change i'm going to suggest: acrobat fling gliscor over salamence. just bare with this change at the moment because you are ultimately adding an excellent fighting type counter, along with the addition of completely walling an sd lo or balllon doryuzu (which could be problematic lategame). with your current team at the moment, you look extremely weak to bulk up conkeldurr and it can easily switch in on many of your members and set up. gliscor nearly shuts it cold and it isn't weak to stealth rock! consider a gliscor with the nature of impish and the evs 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe with the movesets fling / acrobat / eq / protect. fling is served primarily to lure and deal with those annoying taunt burungeru which seems to be problematic to your team as well. give this a shot over salamence!

as for other options, consider a simple 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spd sassy nature on ferrothorn only if you're considering to add gliscor to your team. this ultimately allows you to combat with special attackers much better should blissey's health not be in pristine condition. overall gl!
A stall team should always have a ghost, that way he doesn't lose against an opposing stall team. Agreed on the change to Gliscor however.

I think changing Ferrothorn would be a good idea. People have suggested Skarmory which would work well, but I think Forretress is a better choice. It can lay Toxic Spikes (which your STALL team currently lacks), gives you an Ice resist, and can use Rapid Spin (I don't think Excadrill belongs on this team anyways).

Last your team needs a spin blocker. Jellicent was mentioned and that can be used (put 44 evs into speed if your gonna run taunt), or use Spiritomb if you dont want those annoying Magic Guard pokes sweeping your team.

@Chris: Yes, I'm running Jelicent right now and it's working rather well. I might try out Foretress, but I've been really enjoying Ferrathorn with his ability to turn a hit back onto the opponent (which has saved me countless times) Maybe I should try switching foretresss in for Excadrill?

@Chris: Yes, I'm running Jelicent right now and it's working rather well. I might try out Foretress, but I've been really enjoying Ferrathorn with his ability to turn a hit back onto the opponent (which has saved me countless times) Maybe I should try switching foretresss in for Excadrill?

I was gonna suggest Tentacruel seeing as you only want Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin now, but it walls about the same things as Jelicent. I guess it depends who you switched.

I'm still uncertain with a lot of these changes, I have to do a lot of play testing to find what's really working and what's not.

Hey Blond, with Sleep Talk you lose the -3 priority on Dragon Tail. Hence the careful wording.. :P What I meant is that after switching into Spore, Sleep Talk could activate and shuffle Breloom away. Not sure if anyone picked that up already..

Oh my! Really? I must must must try this out, thank you very much for that suggestion. Well, I'll try it out when I get home from finals, psh, easy peasy stuff that is.

Hey i like the idea for the team, i understand this is a stall team but Salamance is pretty weak defesivly and is more of an offensive pokemon. With the sand you have up id run a garchomp even though he is an offensive pokemon as well. He has the ability Sand Veil which can make him a pesky and hard to deal with sweeper in sand. I suggest this

Garchomp@Bright Powder/Choice Scarf/Life Orb
Naive 232 att, 252 Speed, 22 Sp Att

Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Stone Edge/Swords Dance

Salamence is a whole 1 Point (I think) better defensively than Gyarados who is one of the best sleep talkers in the (old) metagame. It's all down to whether you would prefer to run from Electric or Ice attacks in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)