1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Post all suggestions for Pokemon Showdown in this thread. Do NOT post them in the Suggestion Box!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Elimination of the waiting periods between Searches

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Cereza, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cereza

Cereza Tastes Like Candy

I know 30 seconds don't sound as bad but when you're desperately looking for information it seems like eternity. I believe that forums should be as McDonaldized as possible and having to wait between each search is just obnoxious. I have been in some others vBulletin Forums, none of which present this problem so I guess it can be turned off somehow. If there's a reason for this however, please let me know.
  2. Destiny Warrior

Destiny Warrior also known as Darkwing_Duck
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

It's because of the huge server load that could cause, leading to lag. If searches can be done non-stop, it takes its toll on the server. Smogon has a huge memberbase, which is bound to keep expanding, so these measures are unfortunately necessary.
  3. v

v in like, the parlance of our times, you know?
    is a Super Moderator
    ULTRA Moderator

Okay I don't really know enough about anything to post helpfully but I really like the phrase McDonaldized lol
  4. Wild Eep

Wild Eep pet pet pet
    is a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Yeah that was a good one.

Anyway, Destiny Warrior got it as far as I know. Searches are taxing on the server, and for the same reason, we can only get 50 results.
  5. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Cathy upped the search feature to thirty seconds between searches due to the heavy amount of traffic we receive when a new generation came out. While I also hate the 30 seconds waiting period (and it could probably be a third or half of what it is currently), it is there so the forums don't get lag spikes and we don't get error 500 messages.
  6. mingot

mingot free agent
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Administrator

I've reduced this to 15 seconds between searches and we'll return 100 results again. If it has a negative impact on the server we will revisit it. If it does not we will look into reducing the time between searches further.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)