Escape Button

It might be a little iffy, but I could see this working on an Azelf setting up SR, and then getting something with Heart of Justice in on what would've been a OHKO Dark attack. By the same token, Starmie or Gyarados into a Motordrive 'Mon would work, although Gyarados might not have the speed to get the first attack and actually do some damage. But, even if you are slower, changing a OHKO into something beneficial would be worth the loss of a move, wouldn't you think?

It might be a little iffy, but I could see this working on an Azelf setting up SR, and then getting something with Heart of Justice in on what would've been a OHKO Dark attack. By the same token, Starmie or Gyarados into a Motordrive 'Mon would work, although Gyarados might not have the speed to get the first attack and actually do some damage. But, even if you are slower, changing a OHKO into something beneficial would be worth the loss of a move, wouldn't you think?
You get hit first and THEN you get to switch. So, if something was going to OHKO Azelf after it used SR, this item would be entirely pointless for Azelf. This item would also not help pokemon get a motordrive boost. Starmie or Gyarados would be the one taking the hit and THEN they would get a free switch.

You get hit first and THEN you get to switch. So, if something was going to OHKO Azelf after it used SR, this item would be entirely pointless for Azelf. This item would also not help pokemon get a motordrive boost. Starmie or Gyarados would be the one taking the hit and THEN they would get a free switch.

Oh, ok. Completely misread it, then. I was under the impression that you got the switch right before the attack landed, almost like a reverse U-Turn

I suppose it could work better in Doubles. For example, stick it on Deathkan and let Slaking attack it, Slaking gets Mummy and you get the choice of a new pokemon to bring in.

It would also reduce the point of Fake Out, meaning as soon as you are Faked Out you can just bring in a new Full HP Pokemon, thereby reducing the point of Fake Out being used.

But really, it's such a good concept ruined by un-necessary restrictions.

I know someone mentioned Slaking earlier with Mummy in doubles but isn't escape button much better in singles?

Put Escape button on Desukan, predict ANY physical attack and switch in on it, it hits the escape button, transfers mummy over, Desukan leaves, you bring in slaking with a pursuit. One turn, 3 switches, reliable slaking.

Edit: I should say any attack other than U-turn. Which makes it a little bit tricky.

I know someone mentioned Slaking earlier with Mummy in doubles but isn't escape button much better in singles?

Put Escape button on Desukan, predict ANY physical attack and switch in on it, it hits the escape button, transfers mummy over, Desukan leaves, you bring in slaking with a pursuit. One turn, 3 switches, reliable slaking.

Edit: I should say any attack other than U-turn. Which makes it a little bit tricky.
Except for the fact that the Escape Button is basically a waste of an item in that situation, so you can just remove it and get the strategy I already suggested.

There's no point in using Mummy in Doubles. There are better ways to get rid of Truant in Doubles. The reason I brought up Mummy was that it's currently the only reliable way for Slaking to shed Truant in Singles.

I happen to think all these auto-buffs and auto-switches are going to be VERY big considering, well, they're fast. Who's going to have time to set up a manual buff anymore with stuff like this?

Except for the fact that the Escape Button is basically a waste of an item in that situation, so you can just remove it and get the strategy I already suggested.
I'm not sure I follow you, using escape button removes the risk from the combo. The problem with just switching to slaking is that they might just switch. Escape button removes a stage which it could go wrong. Plus it's got that: "wha? who? Wuts going on?" Thing to it as so much happens at once.

Either way I think Mummy + Escape button is a winning combo for sure and it is in no way a useless item.

Say you just switched into a pure power Azmuarill, now you can go to any of your set up sweepers for a definite stat boost as they have to switch. I like it and there are a lot of possibility for it.

Hmm, I like the idea of Escape Button combined with Deathkan Pursuit Slaking, it sort of solidifies that combo into something more threatening than an unreliable gimmick. Only thing that really ruins it is Red Card and that move that absorbs Dark types.

I'm not sure I follow you, using escape button removes the risk from the combo. The problem with just switching to slaking is that they might just switch. Escape button removes a stage which it could go wrong. Plus it's got that: "wha? who? Wuts going on?" Thing to it as so much happens at once.

Either way I think Mummy + Escape button is a winning combo for sure and it is in no way a useless item.

Say you just switched into a pure power Azmuarill, now you can go to any of your set up sweepers for a definite stat boost as they have to switch. I like it and there are a lot of possibility for it.
They might switch, but probably not. Even if they do, it's not really a risk; you've still managed to force a switch.

Of course, once they see your Slaking, they'll definitely switch if Mummy triggers in the future, but that just makes Desukan itself that much more effective. of course, if you stop sending slaking in, they might stop switching out, which could lead to mindgames that can only benefit you.

Hmm, I like the idea of Escape Button combined with Deathkan Pursuit Slaking, it sort of solidifies that combo into something more threatening than an unreliable gimmick. Only thing that really ruins it is Red Card and that move that absorbs Dark types.
Move? Which move is that? Do you mean that heart ability? That went out with the Deathkan when it's button was pushed.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, if they switch on your switch to Slaking, then you have a full health Choice Bander with 500+ attack ready to punch something in the face.

That being said "combos" and "using Slaking in competitive play" both aren't really ideas that will hold much ground this generation.

Will tricking an escape button somehow cripple the enemy's pace? since it might cause him to hesitate whether he should switch upon the next turn or after using a move. Though im sure there are much more better items to be used for trick...

Will tricking an escape button somehow cripple the enemy's pace? since it might cause him to hesitate whether he should switch upon the next turn or after using a move. Though im sure there are much more better items to be used for trick...
It could work like a roar I guess, passing to a baton pass chain to break it, getting around a slower taunt or suction cups. IMO roar, whirlwind is better anyway.

Edit: and passing a choice item breaks it anyway.

I do like the slaking idea.

I do think the button will have some uses. I remember getting a dugtrio specifically for countering heatran, but when it appeared I needed to use a pokemon as death fodder because dugtrio can't switch into heatran's attacks.

It would also be quite great with yawn. Have a fast yawner with the button, switch into charizard/linoone. Then protect if you think they'll stay in, or set up if you think they'll switch. Both bellyzard and linoone just need one turn or setting up (substitute and bally drum respectively) but they're both very vulnerable by doing so (charizard needs his sub to survive).

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bellyzard needs two turns as you just outlined. It needs the Sub and the Belly Drum. That's more than one...

I think there are far better things to do than to try and pull off Belly Drum. Why not use a Pokemon with comparable attack but much less opportunity cost?

Maybe you can fire off a whirlpool/magastorm with escape button and fly out to something which isn't threatened and can set up. Or whirlpool on a switch in, do the mummy button thing to cripple it then set up with sweeper of choice. I haven't actual used those moves so I have no idea if that's viable or not.

Bellyzard needs two turns as you just outlined. It needs the Sub and the Belly Drum. That's more than one...
Yeah, but you belly drum while they break the sub. Unless they use a multi-hit attack of course, but they're rare. Roar/whirlwind messes it up too though. But vs most enemies it's 1 turn.

I think there are far better things to do than to try and pull off Belly Drum. Why not use a Pokemon with comparable attack but much less opportunity cost?
If you don't want to be like everyone else?

Lumpor Belly Drum is an terrible strategy. You will never, EVER beat a skilled player with it. Though if Solar Power Charizard gets more popular you may pull off some weird mind games with it since counters of the two sets are so horribly different.

I can see safely wishing-passing a possibly viable strategy with this 'Escape Button'. Wish on turn one, get attacked on turn two, and bring in your Wish-target after that. If you aren't attacked, well, you gain HP :P

Well, if they switch on your switch to Slaking, then you have a full health Choice Bander with 500+ attack ready to punch something in the face.

That being said "combos" and "using Slaking in competitive play" both aren't really ideas that will hold much ground this generation.
Slaking probably won't be CBed if it's planning on staying in to make use of Mummy. It'd just get locked into Pursuit in that case.

That's completely absurd. Using Slaking was only not viable because it couldn't get rid of Truant easily in Singles, and now it can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)