Espeon for Ubers (peaked #1)

Introduction

Hello, This is my only RMT so far and I hope this will make you realise how effective Espeon can be in Ubers, at least show that it’s very viable. The team peaked at frirst place on the ladder and it’s a balanced team with some hard hitters in there. It’s pretty straight forward and I finds it fun to play with. I wanted to build a team that shows how great of a support Pokemon Espeon is and how it very easily can gain momentum for you're team, as well Espeon powers up defensive beasts as Lugia with it’s magic bounce support. Now on to the team!

Team at a glance

Shrek (Kyogre) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
Thunder

I choose Kyogre to be my scarfer, the speed obviously makes it easy to get full powered waterspouts. Even if it looses some power not carrying specs it still holds aa incredible strong water spout, making it, in my opinion, the greatest scarfer out there. Modest Kyogre OHKO:s +1 mewtwo which should say enough. Kyogre also brings the rain which supports Ferrothorn and shuts down opposing weathers, not much benefit’s from the rain more than that, It´s not a rain team is just that i prefer Kyogre over Groudon and Tyranitar.
EV:s Is standard modest scarf with enough speed to outspeed mewtwo, added 8 just to be faster then neutral Deoxys-A, 0 atk for min confussion etc.

Espeon support: Helps greatly with keeping the power of water spout at highest possible levels.

Luigi (Lugia) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
Thunder Wave

Lugia is a beast, walling most part of the metagame, with multiscale intact it can swhich in on some of the most threatening threats, as example all variants of rayquaza and all variants of mewtwo barring them carrying taunt. My lugia is as mixed as it can get and I’m using double status to cripple my opponents pokes: T-wave is the one I’m using the most to stop offensive pokes i their tracks meanwhile toxic is great for more defensive ones. Kyurem absolutely loves T-wave support as it can OHKO most thing just it’s able to outspeed. Toxic is for the defensive ones most notably Groudon who is the most common E-killer check. Lugia is a great Pokemon with incredible stats, not just sky high defences but also a incredible speed. Use it people!

EV:s 204 speed to outspeed all base 90:s and then the rest in HP and defence to create the arguably best mixed wall in the game. The speed is important to outspeed and quickly reach multiscale

Espeon support: Lugia is great but it still has some major flaws stoping it from being one of the most used pokes in Ubers. Those are: Weak to stealth rocks that takes away 25% and breaks multiscale, hates status, paralysis ruins it speed and chances to quickly roost up, toxic ruins it completely. Other then that it’s also setup bait for things like Forretress and Ferrothorn which can get upp all hazards they want. Of course it’s also a taunt bait. So who is the perfect partner to Lugia? Yup it’s Espeon. Espeon reflects all hazards and status so it’s when coupled with Espeon Lugia shines the most

White-boy (Kyurem-White) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
Focus Blast

Kyurem is my standard lead, it’s the best anti lead there is, simply because it destroys all of it’s opponents as long as the correct move is chosen, in most cases you don’t even have to chose, draco meteor will put a dent in even them who resists it. It’s OHKO:s all Groudons, offensive Kyogre and 252/0 Dialga, some of the most common leads. Ice beam is the more reliable STAB and 2HKO:s Frerrotorn even after two turns of leftovers and leech seed. Earth Power and Focus Blast complements the set and makes it possible to hit steal types hard, and OHKO Tyranitar. Kyurems most significant weakness is it’s speed and therefor it works really well with the T-wave support from Lugia.

EV:s Just standard modest specs.

Espeon support: Apart from it’s lacklustre speed Kyurem also is weak to stealth rocks which espeon in most cases keeps off the field for the majority of the game.

THE BEST (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Protect
Leech Seed

Ferrothorn makes a great core together with Lugia, there only true common weakness is specs ice beam from Kyurem-W. other then they can wall most of the metagame with just some prediction. Ferrothorn is also my stealth rocker so I’m not carrying spikes on it. All other moves are rather necessary, power whip to not be total taunt/ substitute bait and it also hits for rather good damage. Protect is necessary for the longevity of Ferrothorn as it lacks reliable recovery. Protect is also useful for scouting.

EV:s Primary defensive to function as E-killer check, some into spdef to still take non- super effective attacks without to much of a trouble.

Espeon support: Not much but can as always reflect taunts and can also scare for example a opposing Ferrothorn from spiking all over the place.

D´Arceus (Arceus) @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
Earthquake

This is my absolute favourite set among the E-killer variants. Arceus still snags all the OHKO:s after stealth rocks as it does with life orb. With silk scarf Arceus doesn't kill itself with LO recoil after taking a hard hit. E-killer often sweeps if you have weekend the checks and are able to set up. This spread does just that, sets up on almost anything. the only thing that the opponent can do is burn it or phaze it. Shadow Force can be chosen over shadow claw to hit Giratina-A and Lugia for a lot of damage but after I got owned by sub-shuffler Girationa-O once I’m sticking with shadow claw. Just to show how good Arceus bulk is take a look at this:

Palkia, great revenge killer with nice attack, No it’s a huge set up bait!
252 SpA Palkia Spacial Rend vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Normal: 156-184 (35.37 - 41.72%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Basically what you do is: wait for your opponent to kill something, swords dance, sweep. Maybe the easiest and most effective tactic in the game.

EV:s Max attack and bulk, 16 speed EV:s to outspeed all neutral base 90:s

Espeon Support: Keeps stealth rocks away so Arceus can take almost any hit, gives a lot of set up opportunities with yawn+dying/baton pass.

Magic (Espeon) (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Yawn
- Psychic
- Toxic
Baton Pass

So to the star of the team, oh well maybe not the star but at least Espeon always does it’s job, keeping away hazards and reflecting some statuses. Espeon should be played in a way where it stop hazards to any cost, even if that includes dying, when hazards is up Espeon functions more as a death fodder. In maybe 90% of my games Espeon is my first Pokemon to go down. Even if Espeon doesn't pulls off any sweeps it still does a lot of things powering up the rest of my team:
-gives me a lot of momentum with yawn+baton pass, also some hazard damage.
-with the sash intact it can stop any sweeper with yawn if necessary.
-great speed and decent attack makes it so it can kill of weakened foes.
-And obviously: keep hazards and status away.
-Psychological warfare, keeping status away without even switching in.

EV:s Of course max speed, I have tried out max HP to take week moves like dragon tail but the spatk is nice most notably for weakening Groudon and preparing an Arceus sweep.

Leading:
If I see a Darkrai: I start of Kyogre and fire of a surf taking it down to it’s potential sash and more often then not it doesn't goes for dark void thanks to the threat of Espeon.
No Darkrai: Kyurem and try to smash something, if they are faster, which you offten can see by the pressure/turboblaze message I just switch to the according counter.

Conclusion:
This team aim towards an Arceus sweep by punching holes with Kyogre and Kyurem, Lugia is a fantastic Pokemon when it has magic bounce support and allows me to check a lot of threats with just one pokemon. Ferrothorn is maybe the the No.1 most annoying thing to kill in rain. Espeon is a very underrated Pokemon who makes a lot of Pokemon better and it’s presence alone gives you an edge.

Threats:
Kyurem-W (specs)- With the right move it can KO everything in my team, the answer is just to get up stealth rocks as quick a possible and then keep the pressure up, not letting it come in if not necessary.
HoOh- - Is incredibly hard to check without a dedicated counter, but as long as the opponent doesn't run magic bounce support it’s manageable.
Arecus ghost (calm mind) The worst threat to my team and the only thing I really feal like I have to fix. (any suggestions?) My best way to handle it right now is to get a toxic on it and then try to stall it out. The other option I have is to try to set up my own Arcus before it comes in and pray it doesn't carry the will-o-wisp.

Importable:
Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

Kyurem-White @ Choice Specs
Trait: Turboblaze
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Espeon (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Yawn
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Baton Pass

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 204 Spd
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Yo, cool team you have there, but I think you went in the wrong way during your building process.

Basically, you're trying to use Espeon the same way we use him in OU. IMO, Espeon fit in the same category as Wobbuffet - in team building ofc, i'm not talking about gameplay - so you're already at disadvantage with a bulky offense like yours.
If you don't understand, take a look at your team, and something should pop up easily : Ghostceus. Yeah you have ScarfOgre, Lugia toxic and Sashpeon Toxic, but seriously, the only thing they can do is slow him and gain some time. He can setup on Kyogre, Arceus if you already took 30-40% (Surf Kyogre doing 33.1% - 39.2%, Shadow Claw +2 doing 50% - 59%, so he can take SC+2 and CM, then focus blast to kill you and finally recover when you Surf since both of them do 98% (hi, i'm bulky as hell)), Ferrothorn (yeah Leech Seed doesnt really matter here), Kyurem. He can also setup on Lugia or Espeon if you miss Toxic. Anyway, he can setup on everything and stomp the whole team, you already know it since mentionned in the threats.
SteelCeus is the same threat as Ghostceus, or even more because your only way to prevent him to sweep your whole team is Toxic. He can setup on everything, Kyogre resist Judgement but is stomped by Thunder (Judgement +6 is enough anyway), Ferrothorn take a huge chunk from Judgement after a few CM (and possibly Will-O-Wisp), Lugia cant toxic him, Espeon cant toxic him, Kyurem is OHKOed ... There is no need to put some calcs as I did with Ghostceus.

That's for the major threat; there is some "minor" threat like SpecsOgre who kill something each time he come (Ferrothorn isnt a Kyogre counter, meh), MixKia (Lugia is your only answer), MixQuaza (but less threatening than Palkia since he has to use Draco Meteor to kill something, he's SR weak and slower than Kyurem), Sub Gira-o (most used set atm, your team is really weak to him). That's what can be really annoying for you, I dont think I missed something.

To fix it, honestly, you have to remove Espeon, he doesnt fit the team (hell, sometimes you'll even play with SR, like vs Deo-A lead or support Dialga). If you still want to keep Espeon, putting Sub > TW on Lugia and Toxic > protect on Ferrothorn can help a bit. Or you can remove Ferrothorn for Jirachi SpD Toxic, and Kyurem for Latias CM Psychoc, then you still check Kyogre and counter Ghostceus CM (Sub on Lugia is really necessary), and maybe SteelCeus if he doesnt have Roar.

Have a nice day.

Just a really short rate but I can see a glaring weakness to DDray. It easily sets up on ferrothorn and then proceeds to decimate your team. Lugia is your best bet but after multiscale is broken( SR) is 2 HKOes you with outrage. All you can do is inflict status, which inturn your lugia dies, or you phaze which is only temporary. So i would suggest physical genesect (scarfed) to solve your problem as it outspeeds ray even after one DD. also give it iron head to solve your weakness to the kyurem formes. Im not sure what it can replace though i would suggest kyogre but losing your weather sucks so its up to you. Also give it u- turn if youre using genesect to hit darkrai and mewtwo hard.

Oh yea the genesect set would be: u-turn, iron head, ice beam, explosion. Im posting this through my phone so i cant post the details, but max sPeed max atk with a hasty nature with choice scarf.

First of I will obviously doesn't change my Espeon for something since I made this team testing if Espeon would be viable in ubers and tried to make a team with some pokes benefiting from the magic bounce.

Basically, you're trying to use Espeon the same way we use him in OU.
I don't really get what you mean here. I don't play OU much but I didn't thought this was how you played Epson in OU, just looking at the usage, sash is used 6% and yawn is less then 3%. When I think about my play style with Espeon its like Im ”paying” on Pokemon just to keep away hazards and such, its not like it should come in time after time and do damage.

I actually almost never plays with SR up, at lest not until the late game. Usually its very obvious if Deoxys-A is carrying SR and in most of my games i block even deoxys from getting up rocks.

And to the problem with Arceus-Ghost: I will try out toxic on ferrothorn and sub on lugia and check out if it helps.

The other minor threats mentioned hasn't really been a problem. I can only speak of experience but i haven't had any problem with any kyogre, and i don't think I have had any problems with the other either,

However, thanks for the rate!

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
What I mean is using Espeon in a defensive team is the worst thing to do in Uber, he's way too different than Xatu.
You got a lot of weakness by doing this, that's why I mentionned Wobbuffet; you dont use him in a team beside an offense right ? Then, Espeon is in the same boat, if you want to use him, you have to opt for a more offensive version of your team (like removing Lugia, SpecsKyu for LOKyu or other things like this).

Have a nice day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)