Excadrill [2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROBLEMS

AHEAD OF HIS TIME
Toxic fits well on a Stealth Rocks set with Spin, EQ. I mentioned both as in a set SUB, SD, Toxic and Spin set to put pressure on things like Ferro and Slow support mons that rely on wilo wisp like giratina forms due to being under a sub. Not necessary really but would be nice information to include.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Toxic fits well on a Stealth Rocks set with Spin, EQ. I mentioned both as in a set SUB, SD, Toxic and Spin set to put pressure on things like Ferro and Slow support mons that rely on wilo wisp like giratina forms due to being under a sub. Not necessary really but would be nice information to include.
okay, your suggestions have been implemented. Thanks for taking time to look at this ^-^

Last edited:

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Can I get some actual checks on this? I'd like to start a new analysis, but this one has been dragging me down because it has been somewhat ignored, and my lack of a badge restricts me to one analysis reservation at a time. Just sucks that my willingness to contribute is being limited by you guys, the QC team.

Overview

Bulky Excadrill doesn't check nearly enough in this metagame to be worth using. It needs Iron Head to deal with Xern lacking Focus Blast, and if it runs that you give Ho-Oh switch-ins. I'd remove all mention of a bulky set from this analysis, but if other QC members disagree then whatever.

Sand is still viable, it's not like Tyranitar wants to come in on Kyogre or Groudon so you'll have Sand up almost as often as you did before. You cannot sacrifice Tyranitar to one of those two late-game to facilitate a potential Excadrill sweep, but other than that Sand works the same as it did in XY.

Mention that it can check Geo Xern in Sand, that is absolutely relevant enough to mention in the Intro.

Sand Rush

Substitute is very very good, it can punish obvious sacrifices by your opponent very nicely. Say your opponent has Rayquaza, a badly wounded Arceus-Water and Xerneas left and you have four turns of Sand to work with and at least one other sweeper still healthy. Your opponent might be tempted to switch out their Xerneas and sacrifice their Arceus to get Rayquaza in safely to spam V-Create. Substitute punishes this strategy nicely. I'd say it's worth a slash along with Rapid Spin (also very good) and Swords Dance (probably better on Air Balloon than Life Orb, certainly viable). Jolly can be first slash over Adamant if you want, doesn't really matter to me. Jolly provides insurance vs fast GeoXern but it's not like those are that common anyway. This looks fine otherwise, though in usage tips Excadrill won't always be used as a sweeper, you might use it to break down a wall for EKiller or something depending on the matchup.

Support (the other team by its mere existence)

I do not approve of a bulky Mold Breaker Excadrill set. What are you checking with it? You still lose to Xerneas in the long run, especially if it has Focus Blast, and Electric Arceus is not at all relevant. I guess you beat the uncommon Fairy Arceus but so can most Steels with Toxic. Excadrill is not at all a special snowflake in that regard. Also, how is Excadrill spinning on Deo-S HO if they pack SD Arceus-Ghost? You don't get room to breathe vs. anything other than Deoxys-S itself. If Deo-S is replaced by Superpower Deo-A (admittedly uncommon)... good luck. Again if I'm missing something, other QC can chime in, but I have never built a team where I would want shitty bulky Excadrill as my rocks setter over the best Pokemon in the tier.

Other Options

Hell no to Shadow Claw. A mention of a bulky spin set can go here IMO, the Choice Band mention is also fine. Assault Vest is horrendous and should also be removed, newer players might seriously be tempted to try that shit out of they're looking for a Xerneas "check."

Checks and Counters section looks good.

Good job overall, gonna wait for other QC to comment on the Support set before approving.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
._____. These last few weeks of school are hectic; I've at least been playtesting with it more, so, when this has actually been written up, it will be much more informative than it is in its current state. Thanks for reminding me about it though ^-^

Malley

Dominachu
Add
Remove/Change
(Comment)
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen etc.

[OVERVIEW]

In a metagame defined by Ground types, Excadrill's niche in Ubers comes from its carves a niche for itself with its respectable base 135 Attack, (Having relatively average Attack is not exactly a 'niche') access to the bountiful support move of Rapid Spin, (RC) and ability to sweep teams utilizing Sand Rush. Although its use necessitates a Sand Stream setter on its team, this is not necessarily a problem. Excadrill is the focal point of any sand build, as it provides to the playstyle a consistent check to Geomancy Xerneas, (RC) one of the most metagame defining threats; and, (RC) threatens opposing teams with its ability to countersweep in this manner the threat of a sweep of its own. Excadrill also possesses a useful resistance to Extreme Speed and immunities to Electric and Poison Thunder Wave and Toxic, (RC) granted by its unique Ground / Steel typing. (AP) ; which, accounts for a total of All in all it has eight resistances and two immunities, which can make it hard to stop its sweep making it all the more difficult to stop its late-game onslaught. However, Excadrill’s poor 60 / 65 defenses mean that it cannot switch into even resisted attack, (AC) forbid that it be switched into even resisted attacks; (RSC) and, (RC) the introduction of the Primals has made Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre make it difficult to keep up sand for Sand Stream to be set, as both relevant sand setters in Hippowdon and Tyranitar are threatened greatly by each of the Primals. ORAS has also introduced a powerful new threat in Mega Salamence, a superb check to Excadrill. (Avoid time-sensitive statements) Excadrill is also effectively checked by Mega Salamence. Although Excadrill is weak to the common Ground-, Fire-, and Water-type attacks, it remains a potent offensive threat that can decimate underprepared teams.
[SET]
name: Sand Rush
move 1: Rapid Spin / Substitute
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Iron Head
move 4: Rock Slide / Swords Dance
ability: Sand Rush
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant
ivs: 29 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rapid Spin allows Excadrill to support is the defining trait of Excadrill, supporting its teammates with hazard removal. However, i If Rapid Spin support is not necessary for a necessity to Excadrill's team, Substitute is an fine alternative for the first moveslot, (AC) as . I it takes advantage of the switches Excadrill causes punishes well the most common method of stopping Excadrill's prowess, sacrifices; and, (RC) allows Excadrill to avoid status moves any attempt of burn from Will-O-Wisp. Earthquake is Excadrill's most consistent STAB attack, and will deals immense damage to anything that does not resist it. Iron Head rounds out Excadrill's coverage by utilizing its secondary STAB, (AC) ; and, in Sandstorm, gives Excadrill the ability to revenge kill a Geomancy-boosted allowing it in sand to revenge kill Xerneas at +2 Speed Xerneas that lacks significant Speed investment. In the last slot, Rock Slide is the preferred option because it gives Excadrill a way to hit Ho-Oh, an which would otherwise check to Excadrill should it lack the move. If Ho-Oh is of no concern to Excadrill's team, Rock-type (AH) coverage may be forgone in place of Swords Dance to raise pump Excadrill's Attack to monstrous levels, which can allow Excadrill to effectively wallbreak or sweep, allows Excadrill to wallbreak for a teammate; or, sweep on its own, depending on the matchup.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the best item for Excadrill to hold, as the power boost granted by it secures several key OHKOes in conjunction with hazards, such as that on standard Geomancy Xerneas with Iron Head. Although, the power boost that Life Orb offers is this is a crucial component to of Excadrill's offensive prowess, (AC) ; Air Balloon is another option, as it a fine choice for an item as well. It gives Excadrill the ability to check Primal Groudon much better, and simply has the general utility of a Ground type immunity; the latter being a reason why it compliments Swords Dance so well. It Air Balloon also lets Excadrill to more liberally spam Rapid Spin because Life Orb recoil is no longer an issue present. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allow to Excadrill to sweep and wallbreak as effectively as possible. is to hit as hard as possible, and maximum Speed investment gives Excadrill the speed it needs to effectively clean, or wallbreak, under Sandstorm. A Jolly nature is preferred because it allows Excadrill to outspeed a Geomancy-boosted Xerneas at +2 Speed that lacks significant Speed investment if Sandstorm is up, and also to outspeed Pokemon with base 100 Speed and a neutral nature ; but, its main purpose is for consistency in and out of sandstorm, outpacing neutral base 100s and under in order to get off Rapid Spins when needed. An Adamant nature may be used to increase Excadrill's damage output, (AC) simply for the raw power it grants to Excadrill; but with it Excadrill becomes a less reliable check to Xerneas , a consistent Geomancy Xerneas check is far more important than the marginal increase in power. Do note, that, a Jolly nature mandates the use of a Life Orb for any real damage to be dealt Life Orb should be used with a Jolly nature to make up for the decrease in power, (AC) ; and an Adamant nature should be used with Air Balloon for the same reason, if Air Balloon is used, an Adamant nature is recommended alongside it to compensate for the power foregone when Life Orb is used. A 29 HP IVs is are used run to minimize Life Orb recoil if Life Orb is being used; however, if Air Balloon is used, the feature is abysmal.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Excadrill into battle after one of your own Pokemon has fainted. Doing this gives Excadrill free turns to either attack, force a switch and set up a Substitute or a Swords Dance, or, (RC) spin away hazards, if needed to. Although Excadrill functions best when Sandstorm is up, acknowledge that depending on the matchup, Excadrill can still be effective can still pull its weight without it. Against bulkier, passive teams, Excadrill is fast enough to pose a threat to common stall mons Pokemon on stall teams, (RC) such as, (RC) Clefable, Tyranitar, Aegislash, Primal Groudon, and Water Arceus Arceus Water carrying Ice Beam instead of lacking Judgement; each of which Excadrill can force out, set up a Swords Dance, and sweep. Against balanced teams Excadrill can freely switch into Steel-types , (RC) switch into and force out Steel types, such as Klefki and Jirachi, (RC) (This seems to go against the sentence in the overview where you said that Excadrill cannot even switch into resisted attacks) in order to receive free turns to attack and weaken walls for Excadrill's teammates. Against hyper offensive teams sand must be up for Excadrill to fulfil its roles, it is required that sand be up for Excadrill to fulfill any of its niches; however, but when sand is up Excadrill is very effective against them, (AC) it has an incredible advantage over this archetype, mainly because of how these types of teams rely as they often rely on Extreme Speed or another Steel-resisted priority attack to revenge kill fast sweepers. The most ideal scenario to sweep will be when Xerneas sets up Geomancy, Sandstorm is set, and, Excadrill is able to revenge kill Xerneas and proceed to clean; though, it can be difficult to set Sanstorm because sacrificing Tyranitar to Xerneas for Sand turns may open up holes in your team to another sweeper; such as, Mega Salamence, Calm Mind Latias and Latios, or, Arceus Dark. Play wisely with your sand setter throughout the match by luring with it and double switching, and, by preserving its HP bar so it can check what it must, when needed to. W It is important to preserve your sand setter, as opposing weather setters, such as Primal Groudon; and, checks to Excadrill, such as unevolved Mega Salamence, can disrupt Excadrill's prowess by removing sand. (AP) stripping it of Sandstorm; or, reducing its Attack with Intimidate and using Excadrill as set up fodder, respectively; so, it is imperative to either eliminate these threats, or to the least, weaken them so Excadrill can push past them. Make sure to remove or weaken Excadrill's checks before attempting a sweep, as it must be able to break through them in the limited number of turns sand lasts. Nonetheless, be aware of how many turns of Sandstorm there are, and capitalize with smart plays on the turns in which it is set. (Sorry if any of this feels like I'm imposing my own analysis - I'm just trying to cut down on unnecessary detail and get across ideas as clearly and succinctly as possible. If you think I've misunderstood something, let me know)
Team Options
========

Tyranitar, (RC) and or, (RC) Hippowdon, (RC) are is absolutely necessary for the success of this set. Including In addition to their ability Sand Stream, which sets up sand of setting Sandstorm for Excadrill upon switch in, either of them are able to both can provide Stealth Rock to wear down Excadrill's checks. (AP) ; the former Tyranitar is able to check Mega Salamence and other bulky Flying-types (AH) exceptionally well with its Rock typing, (AC) ; while, (RC) the latter Hippowdon is able to check Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon with its high HP and Defense stats. Both setters are threatened greatly by Primal Kyogre, thus making Pokemon that can check Primal Kyogre, such as Latias, Latios, Primal Groudon, Grass Arceus Grass, and Ferrothorn, (RC) exceptional teammates; the latter is even capable of providing can also provide Spikes support to further capitalize on Excadrill's ability to force switches. Dark-types (AH) such as Yveltal, Darkrai, and Dark Arceus Dark make outstanding teammates for Excadrill because they can eliminate Lugia, Giratina, and Ghost Arceus Ghost, three of Excadrill's most solid checks; most importantly the latter two, which the latter two also block Excadrill's Rapid Spin. In return, they appreciate Excadrill's ability to deal with revenge kill a Geomancy-boosted Xerneas, (RC) and, ability to threaten other Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Klefki, with its potent dual STAB moves stabs. Water-types (AH) such as Primal Kyogre that can defeat the bulky Ground-types (AH) which that check Excadrill, such as; regular Groudon, Ground Arceus Ground, and Gliscor, make good teammates as well. Said Water-types (AH) can also bait in Latias and Latios, giving Tyranitar the opportunity to switch in and trap them with Pursuit. A reliable check to Mega Salamence is necessary, as indispensable to Excadrill's use, otherwise, (RC) Mega Salamence can set up to +6 Attack and Speed on Excadrill with Dragon Dance and Roost effortlessly set up Dragon Dances and Roost stall the hell out of Excadrill. Tyranitar is generally the preferred Sand Stream user will usually be the easiest to fit because of how well it compresses it provides a Flying-type (AH) check, a Stealth Rock setter, and a Sandstorm setter into one; though, fit in a secondary check to Mega Salamence if possible. Another way to offset Excadrill's weakness to Mega Salamence is to stack checks with other set up sweepers, such as, Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, and Mixed Primal Groudon. With such set up sweepers, you can lure out Salamence and severely damage it with a super-effective coverage move, so that it can no longer check Excadrill late-game. (This seems like a separate topic to the analysis) Flying-types (AH) pair wonderfully with Excadrill, as they are able to switch into Ground-type (AH) attacks aimed at Excadrill; (RSC) while, (RC) Excadrill is able to spin away Stealth Rock for them. Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Shaymin-S Sky make great teammates for this reason. (AP) ; though, e Each of them also possesses superb offensive synergy with Excadrill, as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky support set utilizing Excadrill's Hidden Ability, (RC) Mold Breaker, consisting of the moves Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Toxic, and Substitute, (AC) with an EV spread of 172 HP / 152 Atk / 156 SpD / 28 Spe, an Adamant Nature, and Leftovers may can be used as a status spreader and soft check to Latios and Latias, and a hard check to some Arceus forms, such as Arceus Fairy and Arceus Electric; however, it is not very bulky, is slow and vulnerable to common attacking types, is setup (No space) fodder to for many common setup (No space) sweepers, and does not hard check any of the biggest threats in the tier only hard checks what are essentially irrelevant Pokemon in the metagame. A Choice Band set that also utilizes Excadrill's Hidden Ability, (RC) Mold Breaker, (RC) can be used to hurt quell standard balance teams which that rely on Pokemon with the ability Levitate, such as Giratina-O, Latias, and Latios, to check Ground types, such as Giratina-O, Latias, and Latios; however, it can be unreliable fails to offer any reliable utility, as locking being locked into Rapid Spin can be dangerous arise nasty consequences.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Mega Salamence**: Mega Salamence can switch in on a predicted Earthquake, lower Excadrill's attack with it's pre-evolution ability, Intimidate before Mega Evolving, and set up Dragon Dance. However, it can fail to does not reliably check a Swords Dance variants set when Sandstorm is up; Air Balloon variants can also especially be a nuisance to Mega Salamence, (AC) as they must be hit with a resisted attack before vulnerable to Earthquake.

**Rayquaza**: Rayquaza can switch in on a predicted Earthquake; and, with its ability, (RC) Air Lock, negate the effects of Sandstorm and effectively neuter Excadrill's source of speed, leaving it vulnerable to a super- effective (RH) coverage move in such as Earthquake, V-Create, or Aqua Tail.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory is able to switch into any attack that from Excadrill has, (RC) and Roost off the damage, (AC) taken in the process; all while stalling out Sandstorm turns, (RC) and being able to phaze away with Whirlwind any boosts Excadrill has acquired. Although Excadrill can easily use Skarmory as a free turn to spin away hazards against Skarmory, Skarmory can apply pressure with hazards of its own in Spikes, (RC) and force Excadrill to repeatedly inflict Life Orb recoil on itself by using Rapid Spin. However, Air Balloon Excadrill effortlessly finds free turns on against Skarmory, and can spam Rapid Spin with next to no drawbacks whatsoever, causing a stalemate between the two.

**Landorus-T and Gliscor**: The former is able to tank any attack that Excadrill has with its respectable Defense after an Intimidate drop, (AC) ; while, (RC) the latter can comfortably stall out Excadrill's sand turns with Roost and stop Swords Dance shut down set ups with Taunt. Both are immune to Excadrill's Earthquake, granted that they are Flying types; and, (RC) each threatens Excadrill with powerful Earthquakes of their own. However, Landorus-T struggles to check an Air Balloon + Swords Dance set, and Gliscor is unable to do anything to the same set, (RC) bar Taunting it.

**Non-Primal Groudon and Ground Arceus Ground**: With their immense Defensive physical bulk and higher speed tiers, Non-Primal Groudon and Ground Arceus Ground can take stomach any of Excadrill's attacks, (RC) and threaten it back Excadrill with an OHKO from their Ground-type STABs moves. Non-Primal Groudon also removes sandstorm changes the weather upon switch-in with its ability, Drought; though, it can be worn down by Excadrill if repeatedly switched into Earthquake.

**Ghost Arceus Ghost and Giratina-O**: Both can switch into Excadrill freely on a predicted Rapid Spin, (RC) and inflict a burn with Will-O-Wisp, (AC) ; though, (RC) Substitute can pose problems to these two. The latter even also has an immunity to Ground-type (AH) attacks, (RC) granted by its ability, Levitate. Either Both are able to inflict massive damage to on Excadrill with their STAB attacks and coverage moves, as well.

**Yveltal**: Physically defensive Yveltal can tank any coverage move Excadrill has, (RC) and hit back hard with a Dark Aura-boosted Foul Play. Furthermore, both defensive and offensive Yveltal can pick off Excadrill with a powerful Sucker Punch.

**Bulky Water-types (AH) and Grass Arceus Grass**: Bulky Water-types (AH) such as Primal Kyogre and Water Arceus Water check Excadrill with their impressive physical bulk, (RC) and threaten back with an OHKO from their Water-type attacks. Grass Arceus Grass resists Earthquake and can cripple Excadrill with Will-O-Wisp, or, (RCs) 2HKO it with a powerful Judgement.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Add
Remove/Change
(Comment)
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen etc.

[OVERVIEW]

In a metagame defined by Ground types, Excadrill's niche in Ubers comes from its carves a niche for itself with its respectable base 135 Attack, (Having relatively average Attack is not exactly a 'niche') access to the bountiful support move of Rapid Spin, (RC) and ability to sweep teams utilizing Sand Rush. Although its use necessitates a Sand Stream setter on its team, this is not necessarily a problem. Excadrill is the focal point of any sand build, as it provides to the playstyle a consistent check to Geomancy Xerneas, (RC) one of the most metagame defining threats; and, (RC) threatens opposing teams with its ability to countersweep in this manner the threat of a sweep of its own. Excadrill also possesses a useful resistance to Extreme Speed and immunities to Electric and Poison Thunder Wave and Toxic, (RC) granted by its unique Ground / Steel typing. (AP) ; which, accounts for a total of All in all it has eight resistances and two immunities, which can make it hard to stop its sweep making it all the more difficult to stop its late-game onslaught. However, Excadrill’s poor 60 / 65 defenses mean that it cannot switch into even resisted attack, (AC) forbid that it be switched into even resisted attacks; (RSC) and, (RC) the introduction of the Primals has made Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre make it difficult to keep up sand for Sand Stream to be set, as both relevant sand setters in Hippowdon and Tyranitar are threatened greatly by each of the Primals. ORAS has also introduced a powerful new threat in Mega Salamence, a superb check to Excadrill. (Avoid time-sensitive statements) Excadrill is also effectively checked by Mega Salamence. Although Excadrill is weak to the common Ground-, Fire-, and Water-type attacks, it remains a potent offensive threat that can decimate underprepared teams.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rapid Spin allows Excadrill to support is the defining trait of Excadrill, supporting its teammates with hazard removal. However, i If Rapid Spin support is not necessary for a necessity to Excadrill's team, Substitute is an fine alternative for the first moveslot, (AC) as . I it takes advantage of the switches Excadrill causes punishes well the most common method of stopping Excadrill's prowess, sacrifices; and, (RC) allows Excadrill to avoid status moves any attempt of burn from Will-O-Wisp. Earthquake is Excadrill's most consistent STAB attack, and will deals immense damage to anything that does not resist it. Iron Head rounds out Excadrill's coverage by utilizing its secondary STAB, (AC) ; and, in Sandstorm, gives Excadrill the ability to revenge kill a Geomancy-boosted allowing it in sand to revenge kill Xerneas at +2 Speed Xerneas that lacks significant Speed investment. In the last slot, Rock Slide is the preferred option because it gives Excadrill a way to hit Ho-Oh, an which would otherwise check to Excadrill should it lack the move. If Ho-Oh is of no concern to Excadrill's team, Rock-type (AH) coverage may be forgone in place of Swords Dance to raise pump Excadrill's Attack to monstrous levels, which can allow Excadrill to effectively wallbreak or sweep, allows Excadrill to wallbreak for a teammate; or, sweep on its own, depending on the matchup.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the best item for Excadrill to hold, as the power boost granted by it secures several key OHKOes in conjunction with hazards, such as that on standard Geomancy Xerneas with Iron Head. Although, the power boost that Life Orb offers is this is a crucial component to of Excadrill's offensive prowess, (AC) ; Air Balloon is another option, as it a fine choice for an item as well. It gives Excadrill the ability to check Primal Groudon much better, and simply has the general utility of a Ground type immunity; the latter being a reason why it compliments Swords Dance so well. It Air Balloon also lets Excadrill to more liberally spam Rapid Spin because Life Orb recoil is no longer an issue present. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allow to Excadrill to sweep and wallbreak as effectively as possible. is to hit as hard as possible, and maximum Speed investment gives Excadrill the speed it needs to effectively clean, or wallbreak, under Sandstorm. A Jolly nature is preferred because it allows Excadrill to outspeed a Geomancy-boosted Xerneas at +2 Speed that lacks significant Speed investment if Sandstorm is up, and also to outspeed Pokemon with base 100 Speed and a neutral nature ; but, its main purpose is for consistency in and out of sandstorm, outpacing neutral base 100s and under in order to get off Rapid Spins when needed. An Adamant nature may be used to increase Excadrill's damage output, (AC) simply for the raw power it grants to Excadrill; but with it Excadrill becomes a less reliable check to Xerneas , a consistent Geomancy Xerneas check is far more important than the marginal increase in power. Do note, that, a Jolly nature mandates the use of a Life Orb for any real damage to be dealt Life Orb should be used with a Jolly nature to make up for the decrease in power, (AC) ; and an Adamant nature should be used with Air Balloon for the same reason, if Air Balloon is used, an Adamant nature is recommended alongside it to compensate for the power foregone when Life Orb is used. A 29 HP IVs is are used run to minimize Life Orb recoil if Life Orb is being used; however, if Air Balloon is used, the feature is abysmal.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Excadrill into battle after one of your own Pokemon has fainted. Doing this gives Excadrill free turns to either attack, force a switch and set up a Substitute or a Swords Dance, or, (RC) spin away hazards, if needed to. Although Excadrill functions best when Sandstorm is up, acknowledge that depending on the matchup, it can still be effective Excadrill can still pull its weight without it. Against bulkier, passive teams, Excadrill is fast enough to pose a threat to common stall mons Pokemon on stall teams, (RC) such as, (RC) Clefable, Tyranitar, Aegislash, Primal Groudon, and Water Arceus Arceus Water carrying Ice Beam instead of lacking Judgement; each of which Excadrill can force out, set up a Swords Dance, and sweep. Against balanced teams Excadrill can freely switch into Steel-types , (RC) switch into and force out Steel types, such as Klefki and Jirachi, (RC) (This seems to go against the sentence in the overview where you said that Excadrill cannot even switch into resisted attacks) in order to receive free turns to attack and weaken walls for Excadrill's teammates. Against hyper offensive teams sand must be up for Excadrill to fulfil its roles, it is required that sand be up for Excadrill to fulfill any of its niches; however, but when sand is up Excadrill is very effective against them it has an incredible advantage over this archetype, mainly because of how these types of teams rely as they often rely on Extreme Speed or another Steel-resisted priority attack to revenge kill fast sweepers. The most ideal scenario to sweep will be when Xerneas sets up Geomancy, Sandstorm is set, and, Excadrill is able to revenge kill Xerneas and proceed to clean; though, it can be difficult to set Sanstorm because sacrificing Tyranitar to Xerneas for Sand turns may open up holes in your team to another sweeper; such as, Mega Salamence, Calm Mind Latias and Latios, or, Arceus Dark. Play wisely with your sand setter throughout the match by luring with it and double switching, and, by preserving its HP bar so it can check what it must, when needed to. W It is important to preserve your sand setter, as opposing weather setters, such as Primal Groudon; and, checks to Excadrill, such as unevolved Mega Salamence, can disrupt Excadrill's prowess by removing sand. (AP) stripping it of Sandstorm; or, reducing its Attack with Intimidate and using Excadrill as set up fodder, respectively; so, it is imperative to either eliminate these threats, or to the least, weaken them so Excadrill can push past them. Make sure to remove or weaken Excadrill's checks before attempting a sweep, as it must be able to break through them in the limited number of turns sand lasts. Nonetheless, be aware of how many turns of Sandstorm there are, and capitalize with smart plays on the turns in which it is set. (Sorry if any of this feels like I'm imposing my own analysis - I'm just trying to cut down on unnecessary detail and get across ideas as clearly and succinctly as possible. If you think I've misunderstood something, let me know)
Team Options
========

Tyranitar, (RC) and or, (RC) Hippowdon, (RC) are is absolutely necessary for the success of this set. Including In addition to their ability Sand Stream, which sets up sand of setting Sandstorm for Excadrill upon switch in, either of them are able to both can provide Stealth Rock to wear down Excadrill's checks. (AP) ; the former Tyranitar is able to check Mega Salamence and other bulky Flying-types (AH) exceptionally well with its Rock typing, (AC) ; while, (RC) the latter Hippowdon is able to check Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon with its high HP and Defense stats. Both setters are threatened greatly by Primal Kyogre, thus making Pokemon that can check Primal Kyogre, such as Latias, Latios, Primal Groudon, Grass Arceus Grass, and Ferrothorn, (RC) exceptional teammates; the latter is even capable of providing can also provide Spikes support to further capitalize on Excadrill's ability to force switches. Dark-types (AH) such as Yveltal, Darkrai, and Dark Arceus Dark make outstanding teammates for Excadrill because they can eliminate Lugia, Giratina, and Ghost Arceus Ghost, three of Excadrill's most solid checks; most importantly the latter two, which the latter two also block Excadrill's Rapid Spin. In return, they appreciate Excadrill's ability to deal with revenge kill a Geomancy-boosted Xerneas, (RC) and, ability to threaten other Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Klefki, with its potent dual STAB stabs. Water-types (AH) such as Primal Kyogre that can defeat the bulky Ground-types (AH) which that check Excadrill, such as; regular Groudon, Ground Arceus Ground, and Gliscor, make good teammates as well. Said Water-types (AH) can also bait in Latias and Latios, giving Tyranitar the opportunity to switch in and trap them with Pursuit. A reliable check to Mega Salamence is necessary, as indispensable to Excadrill's use, otherwise, (RC) Mega Salamence can set up to +6 Attack and Speed on Excadrill with Dragon Dance and Roost effortlessly set up Dragon Dances and Roost stall the hell out of Excadrill. Tyranitar is generally the preferred Sand Stream user will usually be the easiest to fit because of how well it compresses it provides a Flying-type (AH) check, a Stealth Rock setter, and a Sandstorm setter into one; though, fit in a secondary check to Mega Salamence if possible. Another way to offset Excadrill's weakness to Mega Salamence is to stack checks with other set up sweepers, such as, Stone Edge Extreme Killer Arceus, and Mixed Primal Groudon. With such set up sweepers, you can lure out Salamence and severely damage it with a super-effective coverage move, so that it can no longer check Excadrill late-game. (This seems like a separate topic to the analysis) Flying-types (AH) pair wonderfully with Excadrill, as they are able to switch into Ground-type (AH) attacks aimed at Excadrill; (RSC) while, (RC) Excadrill is able to spin away Stealth Rock for them. Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Shaymin-S Sky make great teammates for this reason. (AP) ; though, e Each of them also possesses superb offensive synergy with Excadrill, as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky support set utilizing Excadrill's Hidden Ability, (RC) Mold Breaker, consisting of the moves Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Toxic, and Substitute, (AC) with an EV spread of 172 HP / 152 Atk / 156 SpD / 28 Spe, an Adamant Nature, and Leftovers may can be used as a status spreader and soft check to Latios and Latias, and a hard check to some Arceus forms, such as Arceus Fairy and Arceus Electric; however, it is not very bulky, is slow and vulnerable to common attacking types, is setup (No space) fodder to for many common setup (No space) sweepers, and does not hard check any of the biggest threats in the tier only hard checks what are essentially irrelevant Pokemon in the metagame. A Choice Band set that also utilizes Excadrill's Hidden Ability, (RC) Mold Breaker, (RC) can be used to hurt quell standard balance teams which that rely on Pokemon with the ability Levitate, such as Giratina-O, Latias, and Latios, to check Ground types, such as Giratina-O, Latias, and Latios; however, it can be unreliable fails to offer any reliable utility, as locking being locked into Rapid Spin can be dangerous arise nasty consequences.

Checks & Counters
===================

**Mega Salamence**: Mega Salamence can switch in on a predicted Earthquake, lower Excadrill's attack with it's pre-evolution ability, Intimidate before Mega Evolving, and set up Dragon Dance. However, it can fail to does not reliably check a Swords Dance variants set when Sandstorm is up; Air Balloon variants can also especially be a nuisance to Mega Salamence, (AC) as they must be hit with a resisted attack before vulnerable to Earthquake.

**Rayquaza**: Rayquaza can switch in on a predicted Earthquake; and, with its ability, (RC) Air Lock, negate the effects of Sandstorm and effectively neuter Excadrill's source of speed, leaving it vulnerable to a super- effective (RH) coverage move in such as Earthquake, V-Create, or Aqua Tail.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory is able to switch into any attack that from Excadrill has, (RC) and Roost off the damage, (AC) taken in the process; all while stalling out Sandstorm turns, (RC) and being able to phaze away with Whirlwind any boosts Excadrill has acquired. Although Excadrill can easily use Skarmory as a free turn to spin away hazards against Skarmory, Skarmory can apply pressure with hazards of its own in Spikes, (RC) and force Excadrill to repeatedly inflict Life Orb recoil on itself by using Rapid Spin. However, Air Balloon Excadrill effortlessly finds free turns on against Skarmory, and can spam Rapid Spin with next to no drawbacks whatsoever, causing a stalemate between the two.

**Landorus-T and Gliscor**: The former is able to tank any attack that Excadrill has with its respectable Defense after an Intimidate drop; while, (RC) the latter can comfortably stall out Excadrill's sand turns with Roost and stop Swords Dance shut down set ups with Taunt. Both are immune to Excadrill's Earthquake, granted that they are Flying types; and, (RC) each threatens Excadrill with powerful Earthquakes of their own. However, Landorus-T struggles to check an Air Balloon + Swords Dance set, and Gliscor is unable to do anything to the same set, (RC) bar Taunting it.

**Non-Primal Groudon and Ground Arceus Ground**: With their immense Defensive physical bulk and higher speed tiers, Non-Primal Groudon and Ground Arceus Ground can take stomach any of Excadrill's attacks, (RC) and threaten it back Excadrill with an OHKO from their Ground-type STABs moves. Non-Primal Groudon also removes sandstorm changes the weather upon switch-in with its ability, Drought; though, it can be worn down by Excadrill if repeatedly switched into Earthquake.

**Ghost Arceus Ghost and Giratina-O**: Both can switch into Excadrill freely on a predicted Rapid Spin, (RC) and inflict a burn with Will-O-Wisp; though, (RC) Substitute can pose problems to these two. The latter even also has an immunity to Ground-type (AH) attacks, (RC) granted by its ability, Levitate. Either Both are able to inflict massive damage to on Excadrill with their STAB attacks and coverage moves, as well.

**Yveltal**: Physically defensive Yveltal can tank any coverage move Excadrill has, (RC) and hit back hard with a Dark Aura-boosted Foul Play. Furthermore, both defensive and offensive Yveltal can pick off Excadrill with a powerful Sucker Punch.

**Bulky Water-types (AH) and Grass Arceus Grass**: Bulky Water-types (AH) such as Primal Kyogre and Water Arceus Water check Excadrill with their impressive physical bulk, (RC) and threaten back with an OHKO from their Water-type attacks. Grass Arceus Grass resists Earthquake and can cripple Excadrill with Will-O-Wisp, or, (RCs) 2HKO it with a powerful Judgement.

GP 1/2
I fully agree with the check; though, in the part where I mentioned that Excadrill can switch into steel types, I'll specify somehow that it can switch into passive steel types (such as the mentioned Jirachi and Klefki) because this is true and should be in the section somehow.

Sorry you had to write quite a bit it of this, my apologies.

Malley

Dominachu
I fully agree with the check; though, in the part where I mentioned that Excadrill can switch into steel types, I'll specify somehow that it can switch into passive steel types (such as the mentioned Jirachi and Klefki) because this is true and should be in the section somehow.

Sorry you had to write quite a bit it of this, my apologies.
Yeah, that should be easy enough to work in. And no problem, really.

Before you implement this, note that I've made a few more changes that I missed/mistyped first time around.

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove

Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Excadrill's niche in Ubers comes from its access to Rapid Spin and ability to sweep teams utilizing Sand Rush. Excadrill is the focal point of any sand build team (subjective change), as it provides a consistent check to Geomancy Xerneas with the threat of its own sweep. Excadrill also possesses a useful resistance to Extreme Speed and immunities to Electric and Poison granted by its unique Ground / Steel typing. In total, it has eight resistances and two immunities, which can make it hard to stop its offensive prowess. However, Excadrill'(no curly apostrophes)s poor 60 / 65 defenses mean that it cannot switch into even resisted attacks, and Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre make it difficult to keep up sand, (AC) as both relevant sand setters in Hippowdon and Tyranitar are threatened greatly by each of the Primals (are you sure this is a coined term?). Excadrill is also effectively checked by Mega Salamence, one of the most metagame-defining threats. Although Excadrill is weak to the common Ground-, Fire-, and Water-type attacks, it remains a potent offensive threat that can decimate underprepared teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rapid Spin allows Excadrill to support its teammates with entry hazard removal. If Rapid Spin support is not necessary for Excadrill's team, Substitute is an alternative for the first moveslot, as it takes advantage of the switches Excadrill causes and allows Excadrill to avoid status moves. Earthquake is Excadrill's most consistent STAB attack, and (fluff) deals immense damage to anything that does not resist it. Iron Head rounds out Excadrill's coverage by utilizing its secondary STAB, allowing it in sand to revenge kill Xerneas at +2 Speed that lack significant Speed investment when Excadrill is under sand. In the last slot, Rock Slide is the preferred option because it gives Excadrill a way to hit Ho-Oh, which would otherwise check Excadrill. If Ho-Oh is of no concern to Excadrill's team, Rock-type coverage may be forgone in place of Swords Dance to raise Excadrill's Attack to monstrous levels, which can allow Excadrill to effectively wallbreak or sweep.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is the best item for Excadrill to hold, as the power boost granted by it secures several key OHKOes in conjunction with entry hazards, such as that on standard Geomancy Xerneas with Iron Head. Although this is a crucial component of Excadrill's offensive prowess, Air Balloon is another option, as it gives Excadrill the ability to check Primal Groudon much better. Air Balloon also lets Excadrill to liberally spam Rapid Spin because Life Orb recoil is no longer an issue. Maximum Attack and Speed investment allow Excadrill to sweep and wallbreak as effectively as possible. A Jolly nature is preferred because it allows Excadrill to outspeed Xerneas at +2 Speed that lack significant Speed investment if Sandstorm sand is up, and also to outspeed Pokemon with base 100 Speed and a neutral nature outside of sanstorm sand. An Adamant nature may be used to increase Excadrill's damage output, but with it, Excadrill becomes a less reliable check to Xerneas. Life Orb should be used with a Jolly nature to make up for the decrease in power, and an Adamant nature should be used with Air Balloon for the same reason. 29 HP IVs are run to minimize Life Orb recoil if it is being used.

Usage Tips
========

Bring Excadrill into battle after one of your own Pokemon has fainted. Doing this gives Excadrill free turns to either attack, force a switch and set up a Substitute or a Swords Dance, or spin away hazards. Although Excadrill functions best when Sandstorm sand is up, Excadrill can still be effective without it. Excadrill is fast enough to pose a threat to commonly seen Pokemon on stall teams such as Clefable, Tyranitar, Aegislash, Primal Groudon, and Water Arceus lacking Judgment. Against balanced teams, (AC) Excadrill can freely switch into passive Steel-types such as Klefki and Jirachi. Against offensive teams, (AC) sand must be up for Excadrill to fulfill its roles, but when sand is up Excadrill is very effective against them, as they often rely on Extreme Speed or another Steel-resisted priority attack to revenge kill fast sweepers. It is important to preserve your sand setter, as opposing weather setters can disrupt Excadrill's prowess by removing sand. Make sure to remove or weaken Excadrill's checks before attempting a sweep, as it must be able to break through them in the limited number of turns sand lasts.

Team Options
========

Tyranitar or Hippowdon is absolutely necessary for the success of this set. In addition to their ability Sand Stream, which sets up sand for Excadrill upon switching in, both can provide Stealth Rock to wear down Excadrill's checks. Tyranitar is able to check Mega Salamence and other bulky Flying-types exceptionally well with its Rock typing, while Hippowdon is able to check Extreme Killer Arceus and Primal Groudon with its high HP and Defense stats. Both setters are threatened greatly by Primal Kyogre, making Pokemon that can check Primal Kyogre, such as Latias, Latios, Primal Groudon, Grass Arceus, and Ferrothorn exceptional teammates; the latter can also provide Spikes to further capitalize on Excadrill's ability to force switches. Dark-types such as Yveltal, Darkrai, and Dark Arceus make for outstanding teammates for Excadrill because they can eliminate Lugia, Giratina, and Ghost Arceus, three of Excadrill's most solid checks; the latter two also block Excadrill's Rapid Spin. In return, they appreciate Excadrill's ability to deal with Xerneas and other Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Klefki, with its potent STAB moves. Water-types such as Primal Kyogre that can defeat the bulky Ground-types that check Excadrill, such as (Primal?) Groudon, Ground Arceus, and Gliscor, make for good teammates as well. Water-types (AH) can also bait in Latias and Latios, giving Tyranitar the opportunity to trap them with Pursuit. A reliable check to Mega Salamence is necessary, as otherwise Mega Salamence can set up Dragon Dance numerously repeatedly while keeping itself healthy with Roost. Tyranitar is generally the preferred Sand Stream user because it provides a Flying-type (AH) check, a Stealth Rock setter, and a Sandstorm sand setter in one teamslot; though however, fit in a secondary check to Mega Salamence if possible. Flying-types (AH) pair wonderfully with Excadrill, as they are able to switch into Ground-type (AH) attacks aimed at Excadrill while Excadrill is able to spin away Stealth Rock for them. Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Shaymin-S make for great teammates for this reason. Each of them also possesses superb offensive synergy with Excadrill.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky support set utilizing Excadrill's Ability Mold Breaker, consisting of the with moves Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Toxic, and Substitute with an EV spread of 172 HP / 152 Atk / 156 SpD / 28 Spe, an Adamant Nature, and Leftovers(space)can be used as a status spreader and soft check to Latios and Latias, and a hard check to some Arceus formes, such as Arceus Fairy Arceus and Arceus Electric Arceus; however, it is not very bulky, is slow and vulnerable to common attacking types, is setup fodder for many common setup sweepers, and does not hard check any of the biggest threats in the tier. A Choice Band set that also utilizes Mold Breaker, (RC) can be used to hurt teams that rely on Pokemon with the ability Levitate, such as Giratina-O, Latias, and Latios, to check Ground types; however, it can be unreliable, as being locked into Rapid Spin can be dangerous.

Checks & and Counters
===================

**Mega Salamence**: Mega Salamence can switch in on a predicted Earthquake, lower Excadrill's attack Attack with it's ability Intimidate before Mega Evolving, and set up Dragon Dance. However, it does not reliably check Swords Dance variants when Sandstorm is up; Air Balloon variants can also be a nuisance to Mega Salamence, as they must be hit with a resisted attack before becoming vulnerable to Earthquake.

**Rayquaza**: Rayquaza can switch in on a predicted Earthquake and, with its ability Air Lock, negate the effects of Sandstorm sand and effectively neuter Excadrill, leaving it vulnerable to a super effective coverage move such as Earthquake, V-Create V-create, or Aqua Tail.

**Skarmory**: Skarmory is able to switch into any attack from Excadrill and Roost off the damage, (RC) while stalling out Sandstorm sand turns and being able to phaze away with Whirlwind any boosts Excadrill has acquired Swords Dance Excadrill with Whirlwind. Although Excadrill can easily spin away entry hazards against Skarmory, Skarmory can apply pressure with Spikes and force Excadrill to repeatedly inflict Life Orb recoil on itself by using Rapid Spin. However, Air Balloon Excadrill effortlessly finds free turns against Skarmory, (RC) and can spam Rapid Spin with next to no drawbacks, causing a stalemate between the two.

**Landorus-T and Gliscor**: The former is able to tank any attack that Excadrill has with its respectable Defense after an Intimidate drop, while the latter can comfortably stall out Excadrill's sand turns with Roost and stop Swords Dance with Taunt. Both are immune to Excadrill's Earthquake and each threatens Excadrill with powerful Earthquakes of their own. However, Landorus-T struggles to check an Air Balloon + Swords Dance set, and Gliscor is unable to do anything to the same set bar Taunting besides Taunt (subjective change) it.

**(Primal?) Groudon and Ground Arceus**: With their immense physical bulk and higher speed tiers, Groudon and Ground Arceus can take any of Excadrill's attacks and threaten it back with their Ground-type STAB moves. Groudon also removes sandstorm with its ability, because of Drought.

**Ghost Arceus and Giratina-O**: Both can switch into Excadrill freely on a predicted Rapid Spin and inflict a burn with Will-O-Wisp, though Substitute can pose problems to these two. The latter also has an immunity to Ground-type (AH) attacks granted by its ability, Levitate. Both are able to inflict massive damage on Excadrill with their STAB attacks and coverage moves.

**Yveltal**: Physically defensive Yveltal can tank any coverage move Excadrill has and hit back hard with a Dark Aura-boosted Foul Play. Furthermore, both defensive and offensive Yveltal can pick off Excadrill with a powerful Sucker Punch.

**Bulky Water-types and Grass Arceus**: Bulky Water-types (AH) such as Primal Kyogre and Water Arceus check Excadrill with their impressive physical bulk and threaten back with their Water-type attacks. Grass Arceus resists Earthquake and can cripple Excadrill with Will-O-Wisp or 2HKO it with a powerful Judgment.

**Lugia**: With its impressive physical bulk and immunity to Ground-type attacks, Lugia can easily wall Excadrill and stall it out using Roost. It can'(no curly apostrophes)t do anything in return besides phazing with Whirlwind, however.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Thugly Duckling yo dude u got a check here. exca will be finished after this so implement this asap so we can get ur work onsite oO

also write up the hone claws zekrom set asap too (posting here to save tagging twice in 2 diff threads)

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Thugly Duckling yo dude u got a check here. exca will be finished after this so implement this asap so we can get ur work onsite oO

also write up the hone claws zekrom set asap too (posting here to save tagging twice in 2 diff threads)
I haven't had a good chance to get on my computer to do this one (transferring the check to google docs makes it very very easy because it copies the color text; my phone can't do that) but I'll take one for the team and just do it from my phone.

I'll get Zekrom written up tonight, or to the very least start the write up.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Ok Sweep Nayrz, before this is uploaded I'll address Snobalt's commentary.

1) "Primals" is a coined term
2) When you concerned over whether "Groudon" referred to Primal or non-Primal Groudon, I cleared that up by writing "non-Primal Groudon" (if you would like to review where it is written, it is mentioned twice; once in C&C and the other in Team Options). Alternatively I can can write "regular Groudon". n_n

QC team thanks for being patient on this one. Sorry for the wait D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)