ORAS OU Eye of the Stall

What is going on you guys this is TheKingKarp here and welcome back to my second RMT ever! Some of you might know me from YouTube, where I upload regularly or you just know me from playing. I decided to make a fancy RMT so I hope you enjoy! Whatever the case is lets get into this RMT :]

Basically what drove me to make this team is my frens Wheezer and Fr33dom were all making really good teams and laddering up and I was still struggling to create a team of my own that was good. After making a bulky offensive team around Mega Latias, I realized even though the team was bad I really liked playing bulky offense/semi-stall. And that got my gears turning. I decided that I would look into the good cores thread on the forums and then I discovered a beautiful core of Sableye-M, Tentacruel, and Jirachi :]. I was determined to create a team that would rise above.

What intrigued me was that back in XY basically stall was pretty bad. Mega Medi and Mega Cross were everywhere and the trappers controlled the game. Basically stall was just FWG of Venu, Tran, and Quag plus skarmchans or something like that. But ORAS stall got some new toys to play with and imo Stall got a lot better! So this is my new take on stall. Hope you enjoy!

Something nice to listen to while you read

Eye of the Stall
Welcome to the team

much color-no more rachi

Started with these three because they handle each other's weaknesses pretty well while also providing rapid spin support and nice paraflinch stealth rocks

Added gliscor because the team was looking weak to ground-types and gliscor provided a nice check to heatran and gengar, while also toxicing some annoying mons

Unaware clef was added because set-up sweepers were looking pretty scary and it provided heal bell support for our good friend sableye it also dark resist

Added chesnaught because we didn't have much to take strong physical hits and also provided spikes which is amazing

Lets go in-depth!

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Recover

At first the thread said that the Sableye set should be some taunt, knock off contraption. I decided that set was sub-par compared to CM Sableye. Giving this CM gives stall I decent win condition that can set up on a lot of things. Mega Sableye is the new face of stall as it allows you to always win the hazard game against offensive teams, as the only rocker that threatens this is Clefable. The EV's are standard for a CM user. The choice of Dark Pulse of Shadow Ball was there as Shadow Ball hit more pokemon neutrally and super-effectively but Dark Pulse hits everything. I decided to stick with Dark Pulse. Now Will-O-Wisp might seem a bit odd on this set but because Sableye has prankster before it mega evolves and can abuse priority WOW. Mega Evolving Sableye has to be done at the right time. Usually if I see greninja I try to keep Sableye in its base form so I can get the priority CM vs. Gren. Usually I lead Sableye and Mega Evolve in order to stop rocks from getting on my side of the field

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Ahh Tentacruel, OU last gen, fallen to the land of UU this gen but nevertheless a vital member of the team. Tentacruel serves as my standard specially defensive wall and as a spinner. My immediate switch in for Keldeo and Clefable, and can handle non-Extrasensory Greninja, which is quite common. EVs are standard, maximize special defense and 32 in Spe allow it to outpace Jolly Tyranitar. The moves may seem a little bit weird but allow me to explain. Acid Spray allows this Tentacruel to always beat CM Clef 1v1. Scald is there for that nice burn chance which slightly mitigates Tentacruel's piss-poor defense. Knock Off is just there for utility and it also allows it to beat SubDisable Gengar although sometimes I feel like toxic spikes could be nice. Lastly if the opponent manages to get up hazards I can rapid spin them away with relative ease. Sableye's presence on the team really takes off a lot of pressure for Tentacruel to do its job.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 136 SpD / 124 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn

BW Hero, XY Zero, or so you think. Jirachi is amazing on this team. Walling Mega Gardevoir and other fairy types which is really nice. EVs are standard and the Speed allows it to get the jump on Stallbreaker Mew. Stealth Rocks are standard and Body Slam and Iron Head are to create the infamous paraflinch strategy. You have to be really good to perfect it. Lastly U-Turn is there to grab momentum and just makes Jirachi an excellent pivot. Jirachi is really only there for fairies which threaten Sableye and Psychics who threaten Tentacruel. He's a great switch in for Lati@s and Sub DD Mega Altaria. Long live the king of BW!

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Decided to drop Rachi because it compounded on my landorus-i and glalie weakness and too an extent mega metagross. Bronzong seemed to really handle these three threats to my team and really made a great fit imo. Standard Specially Defensive spread in order to handle threats. 4 into Attack because that one ev gurantees a 2hko on landorus after rocks. (crazy huh?). Toxic for wearing down walls and Earthquake so we can hit Mega Metagross. Stealth Rock of course is for stealth rock lol. Really glad with this addition to the team.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 140 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Knock Off

As of now the team looked quite weak to Ground types, I looked for a ground immunity which could still beat LO Gengar and SpDef Heatran. Lucky for me Taunt Roost Gliscor did the trick. The EVs are standard allowing it to toxic stall pokemon that the physically defensive set couldn't. The Speed EVs again allow it to outspeed max speed jolly Tyranitar. The moveset is standard. Toxic for toxic lol. EQ for Tran and Knock Off for Gengar which gives my team some trouble. Lastly roost for some reliable recovery. Unfortunately I had to drop taunt for Knock Off as I lost to LO Gengar, and taunt really didn't seem to be doing much.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Wish

Unaware Clefable is the glue of this team. It handles BD Azu, SD Hawlucha, and DD Mega Gyara quite nicely. I just assumed that stall needed an unaware mon so I added clef. It also got access to Heal Bell which is really nice because Mega Sableye absolutely hates being burnt by scald/lava plume or para'd.
The EVs are the standard ones that people always use allowing Clef to take on special attackers while giving her some bulk. The moves are simple as well. Moonlight because with Unaware Clefable can't have Soft-Boiled. Heal Bell to heal status. Moonblast for your standard STAB move and Flamethrower for Skarm and Ferro which are everywhere and are quite annoying. Decided to add wish as Flamethrower targets were easy set up for Sableye and Chesnaught. Wish allows me to pass to tenta and rachi if they get weakened

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Chesnaught got amazing this gen. Checking almost every offensive water type and being able to do so much in return. Bulletproof gives it protection from so many moves its really nice! The EVs are standard allowing it to take many strong physical hits. The moves as well are quite standard. Spiky Shield is just an upgraded version of Protect. Spikes support is really nice for this team as the opponent usually does a lot of switching and wearing down their team is always nice. Drain Punch is Chesnaught's new toy that gives it sooo much more longevity than Hammer Arm. Lastly Leech Seed is really nice for getting residual damage on the opponents team. The Grass typing is really nice for blocking Spore and has a lot of very nice resists.

Now that's the team but it's not the end of this RMT!

Threats:
Not many but if they have more than one of the following the game becomes much more difficult.
LO Gengar can wreck my team pretty easily. All I really have for it is Gliscor and Tentacruel. Not a major threat but still very annoying

SD Flame sets up for free on Clefable and can sweep my team easily. I've considered running tbolt on Clefable just for this but idk if it's worth it

Mega Metagross with Ice Punch really hurts this team as it does over 50% with meteor mash to Sableye if adamant. Still a threat but can be handled by Bronzong

And of course this ITS FINALLY BANNNEEEEDDDDDD

Bronzong now handles this

Bronzong now handles this

Replays!
Here's one showcasing how even though it looked really bad after bronzong and gliscor goes down, sableye single-handedly destroyed his team :http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-187526076

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Recover

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 136 SpD / 124 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 140 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Ok now you have seen the team in-depth all rates are much appreciated and I hope you guys enjoyed! Definitely check out my YouTube channel if you are interested and I'll see you guys later! Have a nice day!​

Last edited:
might wanna mention glalie on your weaknesses, it 2hkoes everything on this team(this is assuming the double-edge set)

252+ Atk Glalie Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel: 322-380 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 332-392 (87.3 - 103.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Glalie Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Jirachi: 226-266 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 163-193 (53.6 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

do i even need to calc gliscor

but anyways, pdef p2>clef would be desirable because then you dont need to worry about accidentally healing gliscor, it also handles mega salamence pretty nicely.

Ferrothorn is setup for Chesnaught and Skarm is setup for Sableye so what about replacing Flamethrower on Clefable with Wish. I feel Tentacruel would get worn down to fast.

I would run Giga Drain over Knock Off on Tentacruel to beat other bulky waters in conjunction with Acid Spray and give it some added longevity. There was actually a pretty big discussion about Acid Spray Tentacruel last gen before Fairies even came out, and Giga Drain is a great move to run with it.

Hey. I rarely post but I love this team. I actually designed a very similar one that I've been waiting to test until MegaMence is gone. You have some major problems as you noted with Landorus and Glalie, who absolutely wreck this entire team. I recommend replacing Jirachi with SpDef Bronzong. You lose the Paraflinching but keep the type compatibility and will be able to handle threats like these much more easily, as well as other pokemon that rely on EQ. You should also change moonlight on Clefable to protect, as it's pretty redundant alongside wish.

Hey. I rarely post but I love this team. I actually designed a very similar one that I've been waiting to test until MegaMence is gone. You have some major problems as you noted with Landorus and Glalie, who absolutely wreck this entire team. I recommend replacing Jirachi with SpDef Bronzong. You lose the Paraflinching but keep the type compatibility and will be able to handle threats like these much more easily, as well as other pokemon that rely on EQ. You should also change moonlight on Clefable to protect, as it's pretty redundant alongside wish.
Bronzong sounds frickin amazing. I kinda stopped using this team because of lando and glalie but I forgot about this. And as for wish and moonlight. Flamethrower isn't needed as Flamethrower targets are set up for my mons and Wish is nice for passing to the weakened members of my team Like rachi (now bronzong) and tenta

Hey Karp, nice team!
I played both versions now and the the Bronzong version is stronger than I imagined.
Probably because i didn't like the Jirachi set ;)
If para-flinch was an important point of the team maybe Togekiss with Air Slash is good alternative.
One problem i have with this team are mostly fire-attacks because Tentacruel can't handle all of them...
any advice?

Btw +1

I would put taunt back on gliscor, in the place of EQ. This makes your team do better against opposing stall, which is a problem for your team, because your team doesn't have the reliable recovery to handle other stall. By using taunt gliscor, this matchup is suddenly swung to your favor, because you can pressure their sableye, and force it in. In order to get the most out of this change, I would change knock off on tentacruel to toxic spikes, giving even more pressure and allowing your sableye to 1v1 mega slowbro and sableye more easily, as well as putting a lot of pressure against offense to defog, making them play more predictably, and also speeding the match up. This is important because your lack of recovery on a lot of your mons, which means that you don't want a match to drag out too far. These changes make you superficially weaker to gengar, but allows you to handle gengar differently because, as it's immune to toxic spikes it will be sent in earlier, when gliscor will be healthy enough to handle it.

I would put taunt back on gliscor, in the place of EQ. This makes your team do better against opposing stall, which is a problem for your team, because your team doesn't have the reliable recovery to handle other stall. By using taunt gliscor, this matchup is suddenly swung to your favor, because you can pressure their sableye, and force it in. In order to get the most out of this change, I would change knock off on tentacruel to toxic spikes, giving even more pressure and allowing your sableye to 1v1 mega slowbro and sableye more easily, as well as putting a lot of pressure against offense to defog, making them play more predictably, and also speeding the match up. This is important because your lack of recovery on a lot of your mons, which means that you don't want a match to drag out too far. These changes make you superficially weaker to gengar, but allows you to handle gengar differently because, as it's immune to toxic spikes it will be sent in earlier, when gliscor will be healthy enough to handle it.
but if you were to take away EQ, this team has problems with spdef heatran. sure, bronzong has EQ, but is 2HKOed by lava plume and sableye has to get to +3 to actually do something back. imo, this team doesnt need more for stall, since sableye already does a lot to opposing stall, so i would say keep EQ.

but if you were to take away EQ, this team has problems with spdef heatran. sure, bronzong has EQ, but is 2HKOed by lava plume and sableye has to get to +3 to actually do something back. imo, this team doesnt need more for stall, since sableye already does a lot to opposing stall, so i would say keep EQ.
Actually Gliscor still beats heatran, because after knocking of its leftovers it 1v1s it, taking lava plumes and having a faster taunt, while tran can't recover. It takes longer, but Gliscor still wins, if I remember right 5hkoing it with knock off.

Edit: also sableye doesn't handle opposing stall, by itself as calm mind clefable is on almost every stall team, and clefable handles it fairly well, putting it down to the hazard game, as bronzing doesn't have reliable recovery.

First off, I'd like to congratulate you on the team! It's quite good.

I'd like to point out a gaping Charizard-X weakness this team has. The basic Dragon Dance set rolls through this team if you don't get a double switch with Gliscor.

Next, I'd like to suggest Protect>Moonlight on Clefable. I found that there were a lot of turns where I needed to dodge damage for Clefable in order to heal up, and I was simply not able to keep Clefable healthy enough without it. Yes--Protect is a move you can play around, but for the most part, it's better for healing (and for PP Stalling). It's also a great move to scout Choice-locked Pokemon such as Rotom-W, and you can really steal momentum from an offensive team that way.

I'm going to disagree with these changes. I think that Earthquake is necessary on Gliscor as it's literally your only way of killing Zard-X (and that's WITH a good switch). It also lets you KO other Fire-types. Also, DO NOT REMOVE KNOCK OFF FROM TENTACRUEL. EVER. Knock Off is WAY more beneficial than Toxic Spikes. I'd actually say that T-Spikes would hurt your team because they prevent you from burning things with Sableye--making certain physical threats a lot more difficult to deal with. Part of the reason Sableye even works is because it can burn physical threats and set up on them. If it can't burn things, it can't set up on them.

First off, I'd like to congratulate you on the team! It's quite good.

I'd like to point out a gaping Charizard-X weakness this team has. The basic Dragon Dance set rolls through this team if you don't get a double switch with Gliscor.

Next, I'd like to suggest Protect>Moonlight on Clefable. I found that there were a lot of turns where I needed to dodge damage for Clefable in order to heal up, and I was simply not able to keep Clefable healthy enough without it. Yes--Protect is a move you can play around, but for the most part, it's better for healing (and for PP Stalling). It's also a great move to scout Choice-locked Pokemon such as Rotom-W, and you can really steal momentum from an offensive team that way.

I'm going to disagree with these changes. I think that Earthquake is necessary on Gliscor as it's literally your only way of killing Zard-X (and that's WITH a good switch). It also lets you KO other Fire-types. Also, DO NOT REMOVE KNOCK OFF FROM TENTACRUEL. EVER. Knock Off is WAY more beneficial than Toxic Spikes. I'd actually say that T-Spikes would hurt your team because they prevent you from burning things with Sableye--making certain physical threats a lot more difficult to deal with. Part of the reason Sableye even works is because it can burn physical threats and set up on them. If it can't burn things, it can't set up on them.
Even with earthquake Charizard is a problem, and frankly Gliscor isnt a very good check to it either way as it can't switch in reliably, and often won't beat bulky Zard X either way, and giving Gliscor that role puts too much pressure on it, spreading it too thin. Also I don't think you understand toxic spikes given what you wrote. Toxic spikes are stall's best weapon for keeping pressure, something important on a team without a ton of recovery. Sabeleye also works well with the support, because the pressure allows it ease in set up. Can it be detrimental? Maybe in some situations. But a team like this needs pressure so that it isn't cracked as easily.

Also "choice locked mons like rotom-w" do you play gen 6?

Even with earthquake Charizard is a problem, and frankly Gliscor isnt a very good check to it either way as it can't switch in reliably, and often won't beat bulky Zard X either way, and giving Gliscor that role puts too much pressure on it, spreading it too thin.
Which is why I pointed out earlier that this team had a gaping Zard-X problem. I generally think that Earthquake is well worth the slot to just deal damage to anything Ground weak.

Also I don't think you understand toxic spikes given what you wrote. Toxic spikes are stall's best weapon for keeping pressure, something important on a team without a ton of recovery.
I do understand Toxic Spikes, and I'm promising you that pretty much none of the well built stall teams run them for a multitude of reasons. One--they're extremely easy to clear; two--poisoning something that you need to burn is extremely detrimental to your team; three--why on EARTH would you pass up on Knock Off? Knock Off is probably the most spammable move next to Scald, and it offers significantly more use in all situations than Toxic Spikes. Stall teams are much less about residual damage nowadays. You HAVE to make plays; you can't just sit back on your bulk and relax. The metagame is WAY too powerful for that now. Removing an opponent's Life Orb or Choice Band/Specs could mean the difference between a 2HKO and a 3HKO--meaning that you can reliably counter something.

Also your point about it being Stall's best weapon for keeping pressure is pretty off. The only scenario in which that's even remotely true is against other Stall teams, and even then it's iffy. Stall maintaining momentum is a very situational argument because the minute you KO something or an opponent U-Turns/Volt Switches, you lose EVERYTHING. It's not like a sweeper where you set up to a certain point and nothing can be done. Toxic Spikes does little to nothing against an offensive team that just overwhelms you with power.

Also "choice locked mons like rotom-w" do you play gen 6?
Yes, for your information, I do play ORAS. There's no need for that. Additionally, Rotom-W can ABSOLUTELY still be scarfed. TrickScarf might not be the most popular set, but it is absolutely still viable.

Which is why I pointed out earlier that this team had a gaping Zard-X problem. I generally think that Earthquake is well worth the slot to just deal damage to anything Ground weak.

I do understand Toxic Spikes, and I'm promising you that pretty much none of the well built stall teams run them for a multitude of reasons. One--they're extremely easy to clear; two--poisoning something that you need to burn is extremely detrimental to your team; three--why on EARTH would you pass up on Knock Off? Knock Off is probably the most spammable move next to Scald, and it offers significantly more use in all situations than Toxic Spikes. Stall teams are much less about residual damage nowadays. You HAVE to make plays; you can't just sit back on your bulk and relax. The metagame is WAY too powerful for that now. Removing an opponent's Life Orb or Choice Band/Specs could mean the difference between a 2HKO and a 3HKO--meaning that you can reliably counter something.

Also your point about it being Stall's best weapon for keeping pressure is pretty off. The only scenario in which that's even remotely true is against other Stall teams, and even then it's iffy. Stall maintaining momentum is a very situational argument because the minute you KO something or an opponent U-Turns/Volt Switches, you lose EVERYTHING. It's not like a sweeper where you set up to a certain point and nothing can be done. Toxic Spikes does little to nothing against an offensive team that just overwhelms you with power.

Yes, for your information, I do play ORAS. There's no need for that. Additionally, Rotom-W can ABSOLUTELY still be scarfed. TrickScarf might not be the most popular set, but it is absolutely still viable.
I would still use Landorus as the example... I guess it's beside the point. The matchup against other stall teams is very important, given it's (usually) one of stall's most difficult matchups, and honestly, although they aren't that difficult to clear they force your opponent into playing differently, disrupting their strategy. I worded my point about momentum wrong, I mean it more that toxic spikes are a momentum killer for opponents, who have to restructure their game strategy around removing these spikes. I understand knock off has its own utility, but I think (again) the lack of recovery means that residual damage is important for this team, especially against other stall teams. I understand knock off, but I would run toxic spikes.

The Gliscor earthquake/taunt thing is, again, mostly personal preferance, but honestly I don't see the point of a tauntless Gliscor. Frankly taunt and roost are necessary on spdef Gliscor for me. Earthquake could be more valuable than toxic, but I really would recommend taunt on Gliscor, especially because of how much it beats.

Ok, I've been fiddling with this team, and actually struggling to make significant changes. I dropped moonlight for protect on clefable, because though you do lose some flexibility and can be worked around, unaware clefable is one of the few mons that setup sweepers can't really abuse the free turn with. So the disadvantage drops to just a potential free switch and the rare ko if clefable is statused/in sandstorm and loses a few extra percent to residual damage. The benefits on the other hand: you no longer have to worry about decreased recovery in weather, you get more flexibility in terms of options (I can wish on clefable's first turn and then protect/wishpass depending on the opponent's move) and you can protect to scout and gain extra leftovers recovery.

Another glaring issue: you have 52 missing evs on Gliscor! I was getting frustrated that gliscor didn't seem to be taking hits as well as it ought, and this was a big reason! I also removed Gliscor's speed investment, making an alternative spread of 244HP/64 Def/180 SDef/20 speed, now tailored to outspeed 160 speed heatran which is tailored to outspeed neutral max speed scizor. Even though everything seems to want to outspeed max speed jolly ttar, I barely ever see him anymore and even so barely any are going to carry ice beam, so not sure outspeeding him is that necessary. I kept the speed investment on tentacruel though, to tie all these gliscors at 72 spd. I'm not sure if this nets any notable 3hkos out of 2hkos, but certainly without SR on the field gliscor avoids 2hko by m-metagross' meteor mash as well as Landorus-I's psychic. Unboosted Diggersby's return also now has just 0.4% chance to 2hko after SR. I think this spread helps Gliscor check more of the things that give this team trouble, since all three of those things pressure Bronzong heavily, especially since it doesn't have significant recovery.

I definitely welcome better spreads on Gliscor and Clefable though, since it seems like a large number of attacks come very close to or only just 2HKO them. Will try to list them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)