Challenge Faulty Technology

Here is a new challenge I have come up with to hopefully keep my games fresh:

Certain technologies are quite faulty compared to how they really present themselves in the games. The chiefmost being Pokemon Centers. It seems that every single time you heal your Pokemon at a Pokemon Center, one of them gets randomly sent to the PC!

Not a problem, right? Well, the PC's themselves are also very faulty. It seems as if a PC can only be activated by going to a Pokemon Center. When you use the PC, only Box 1 is accessible! How very strange.

However, you (the brilliant adventurer and computer hacker that you are) have found a small backdoor into the system. Your PC now has the properties of an assembly line. That Xerneas that you caught that went straight to Box 9 isn't lost - it will just take a while to retrieve from the system.

THE RULES:
- Every time a Pokemon Center is used, roll a 6-sided die: deposit the Pokemon corresponding to the roll into the HIGHEST NUMBERED BOX that is not currently full. For example, if Box 1 is full and Box 2 isn't, deposit one of your party Pokemon at random into Box 2.
- You still need a party. Now that you've done the above, you may take any Pokemon from Box 1 (except the one that you just deposited - in the case you only have one box) and add it to your team.
- Your PC works like an assembly line. You have an empty space in Box 1? It must be filled! Take a Pokemon from Box 2 and put it in Box 1. This is a domino effect - if Box 2 has an empty space, take a Pokemon from Box 3 and put it in Box 2, etc. You should only ever have at most one Box at any point that is not full. Caught Pokemon will automatically go into that box. You must also do this in order - Pokemon can only move up one box per "cycle" (ie. no moving Pokemon up from Box 7 to Box 1 somehow)
- You are a compulsive Pokemon catcher, you! You must catch all DISTINCT Pokemon you possibly can. Remember, you must use the Pokemon Center to access the PC.
- You must play honourably. No trying to game the rules by using Pokemon Centers excessively!

THE ADVANTAGES:
- I really liked how the Nuzlocke challenges would force you to use Pokemon you wouldn't otherwise think of. Box 1 is going to be filled with low-level early Pokemon UNLESS you've been using them.
- I liked the unpredictability of various challenges as well - for example, in a Nuzlocke you don't know what the first Pokemon in an area you will encounter is. Here, it is different: you have to catch everything you possibly can (although you don't have to stay in an area just to catch some 1% frequency Pokemon) - the unpredictability comes from not knowing which Pokemon will still be in your party after your next heal.
- I've always wanted to create a challenge incorporating two things. #1 are the Boxes, as nobody has really used them in a Challenge setting before. #2 are the Pokemon Centers - they should have some small cost associated with them - but the cost should be exciting, and not necessarily punitive!

I'm going to start either a Soul Silver or Platinum game with these rules. Any suggestions for improvements or add-ons or changes?

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of work, but is much different to the "normal" challenges. I wouldn't mind following along with a Let's Play. One question, though: What happens when you run out of Poke Balls? Do you "fail" the run, or just need to buy more?

Also, good luck keeping your boxes Zubat-free...

So...you have to catch everything you come across, even if you've already caught that species before? Is this correct? Either way, you might want to ban the use of Repel, and possibly Cleanse Tag if it's obtainable in the game you're doing the challenge in so you can't limit how many Pokemon show up that you're compelled to catch. Can't really do anything about abilities that lower encounter rates, if you catch a Pressure Absol you'll probably end up using it eventually for example. Just a thought.

I should correct myself - it is distinct pokemon you try to catch. You don't need more than one Zubat

I've tried this out a bit - the challenge basically begins once you hav two pokemon and one will always be in the PC as per the rules. So you won't have a full team until you've caught 6 in addition to your starter

Does it have to be the first one of that species, or can you hold off until you get one with a specific gender? I mean, if you're going to have to use Combee now and again...you really don't want to be stuck with a male.

Yeah thats fine.

The key is that you shouldn't be actively trying to avoid catching things. Your boxes should be a decent size for this challenge to make any sense.

Seems like a lot of work, but is much different to the "normal" challenges. I wouldn't mind following along with a Let's Play. One question, though: What happens when you run out of Poke Balls? Do you "fail" the run, or just need to buy more?

Also, good luck keeping your boxes Zubat-free...
A Let's Play? Like, on Youtube? I'd have to figure out how to do that first but I would be willing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or I'll do one here. Hopefully this is easy to read.

Part One - Faulty Technology

I have decided to play Pokemon White 2. On Challenge mode. As a bit of background, I have beaten Black 2 (but haven't completed all of the postgame things). I figure I may as well make a post or two here so that people understand just how the challenge works. Just as a note, I do have access to a second DS to trade with.

Professor Juniper greets me after I reset my game. What's your name?
Hey, let's make this fitting. My name will be BOXLOCK. Hopefully this catches on.
I name my rival Hugh and move on.

Rule One: This challenge cannot really start until you have two Pokemon. You must catch your second Pokemon as soon as possible.

Now who do I choose?
Snivy the Grass starter. If this thing had Contrary, it would be the best by far. In my Pokemon X game, I actually have bred a whole bunchof 5 and 6IV Snivy's. I'm kinda tired of Snivy, even though I know its the best.
Tepig the Fire starter. I dont even HAVE a Tepig in any of my games, much less have used one. I hear Emboar is the absolute worst of the three final starters. That can't be good.
Oshawott the Water starter. Hey, I'm playing on Challenge mode. Which means I've beaten Black 2. Oshawott was my starter. I already HAVE one of these.

Which means: let's try something different. I choose you,
Tepig.
I obtain my Pokemon for Bianca and prepare for the most one-sided opening battle in the series. One-sided against you, that is.

(I actually find the Oshawott-Snivy battle much worse if you choose Oshawott, because Snivy is so ridiculously fast and, unlike Tepig, Oshawott can't exactly hit hard enough to compensate)

But first, I need a nickname. Something that I can come up with easily for each Pokemon. I know! The World Cup is on. Let's name them after countries! I just saw Brazil play. I will call my Tepig BRAZIL. He's got a Serious nature. Errr... maybe I should've named him something else.

--------------------------------------------------

Key Battle One: Boxlock versus Hugh
BOXLOCK: BRAZIL [Lv 5 Tepig]
HUGH: Lv 6 Oshawott

Yes, in Challenge mode, all the trainers levels are raised. Some have extra Pokemon too! So this is a Level 5 Tepig versus a Level 6 Oshawott.

I start off with one Tail Whip, I'm going to be needing to do damage soon. Oshawott's Tackle does less than 25% damage. I use Tackle several times in a row and win the fight. Why? Because Tepig is really strong. For a weak final evolution, it sure gives a great first impression.

Brazil grows two levels in this fight. This will help with facing Wild Pokemon.

----------------------------------------------------

Okay. Now Tepig is at Level 7. He has learned Ember but has 11/26 HP. So what do I do? I can't heal it, right?
Not quite. Like a Nuzlocke, this challenge begins when you obtain Pokeballs.

Plus in this game, Bianca takes you to the Pokemon Center and FORCES you to heal your Pokemon. You have absolutely no say in the matter.

Let's make this Rule 2.
Rule Two: Rule One is specific to POKEMON CENTERS. NPC's that heal your Pokemon can be used an unlimited number of times. Similarly, a situation where you are forced to heal your Pokemon at a Pokemon Center, such as at the start of BW2, does not count.

Most games have Potions so this can't be too bad. Once again, this challenge begins WHEN YOU GET POKEBALLS. If you absolutely have to heal after Battle One, then do so. But that's it. No more freebies.

Bianca gives me Pokeballs. Ten of them. The challenge begins!
Let's buy some Potions. We might, you know, actually need those. I buy five. What do you guys typically do with your opening $3500ish?

Bianca shows me how to catch a Level 2 Purrloin. Great. My turn.

-------------------------------------------
Key Encounter One: Route 19.
Pokemon: Patrat Level 4

I got lucky. Imagine getting a Level 2 Purrloin to start out. I hit Patrat with two Embers and catch it.

It needs a nickname. Hmm. Well... Patrat is very close to Patras, which is a large city in Greece. I name my Patrat GREECE.

Nows the hard part. Here's what my HP looks like:
BRAZIL (Tepig) - 18/26 HP
GREECE (Patrat) - 4/18 HP

Here's the thing. If you go to a Pokemon Center right now, you will be forced to randomly deposit one of them in the PC according to the rules.

Rule Three: Every time a Pokemon Center is used, deposit one of your party's Pokemon at random into the PC. Then withdraw a Pokemon from Box 1 of your choice. It CANNOT be the Pokemon you just put in.

And by Rule Three, you would be forced to deposit either Tepig or Patrat, and you would have a party of one Pokemon.

Well, that's okay but ... Tepig has 18/26 HP. I'm pretty sure I can catch a Purrloin here and go with two Pokemon. I don't want to white out right away, you know.

Key Encounter Two: Purrloin Level 2
I hit it with Tackle, taking it well into the yellow. One Pokeball later and its caught. What do I name it?

Edgar Allan Poe wrote the PURLOINED LETTER. That work featured detective C. Auguste Dupin, who is French. Congrats Purrloin, you are representing FRANCE.

I fight a battle with another Level 4 Patrat. Brazil (Tepig) wins but now I gotta heal.

Party Status -
BRAZIL (Tepig) - 11/26 HP
GREECE (Patrat) - 4/18 HP
FRANCE (Purrloin) - 3/13 HP

Yeah. I'd say I need a Pokemon Center. Ready? Let me demonstrate how this works.
FIRST, Heal your Pokemon.
Now, you must deposit one in the PC randomly. I grab a six-sided die. Tepig gets 1 and 4. Patrat gets 2 and 5. Purrloin gets 3 and 6. I roll a:

That worked out really well for me. My weakest Pokemon gets shoved in the PC. Unfortunately, there are no other Pokemon IN the PC so I can't take anything out.

Now I've got a Level 7 Tepig and a Level 4 Patrat. I need to train Patrat incase Tepig winds up getting thrown into the PC on the next heal. That will be my goal.

----END PART ONE----

I don't know *how* you're playing the game, but pictures, if possible, are always a crowd pleaser (at least in my experience).

As long as your LP is NOT on YouTube, then you're good. I don't like following along with every single second.

Summaries of what has been done in each session (or episode, etc.) is perfect. Keep it up :)

Also, Emboar is not the worst starter. It can learn a cool moveset of Flare Blitz/Hammer Arm/Wild Charge/MODAFUCKIN SCALD. Yep, Emboar, a Fire-type, learns A WATER-TYPE MOVE. Does Snivy learn Fire-type moves? Nope, Hidden Power is way too random. Does Samurott learn Grass-type moves? Grass Knot is not 100% reliable and doesn't have a burn chance. Plus if you don't like recoil you could use Fire Punch or Flamethrower instead of Flare Blitz and Earthquake instead of Wild Charge.

Also, Emboar is not the worst starter. It can learn a cool moveset of Flare Blitz/Hammer Arm/Wild Charge/MODAFUCKIN SCALD. Yep, Emboar, a Fire-type, learns A WATER-TYPE MOVE. Does Snivy learn Fire-type moves? Nope, Hidden Power is way too random. Does Samurott learn Grass-type moves? Grass Knot is not 100% reliable and doesn't have a burn chance. Plus if you don't like recoil you could use Fire Punch or Flamethrower instead of Flare Blitz and Earthquake instead of Wild Charge.
Earthquake TM isn't obtainable until the Aftergame in both BW and BW2. Scald wasn't that great on Emboar personally; I replaced it with Rock Slide sooner or later.
Regardless, I think it is the best of the three objectively speaking because, well... yeah, even though it's typing is hated for being the third in the row, it's still a damn good fucking typing. I think it's the one used for Speedruns too.

Suggestion:
You could make it so that you have to catch the first pokemon of each species you encounter, but allow releasing pokemon if you have another of the same species that you won't release.

I started this challenge on Diamond last night, but I changed the rules a little bit for my playthrough.

In mine, I'm focusing more on the huge team aspect rather than the depositing. My rules are as follows:

1. You're still catching nearly everything, with exceptions for things like Onix that have no utility and have a catch rate of 45 when you're using Pokeballs.
  2. Once you have 7 or more, you start the rotations. This means there is no "penalty" for healing before you have a full team. Use a die/RNG to figure out a Pokemon to take from your party and switch with a Pokemon in your PC.
  3. I'm still experimenting with the number of Pokemon to switch with each Pokemon Center use, but switching more makes it interesting. I currently have a team size of 11 and I'm switching 3 every time.
  4. I haven't got to the multiple boxes rules yet, so I'll just wait until that becomes relevant and then play it by ear.
Overall, this is a refreshing challenge. It progresses very slowly, but that's just part of the experience. A major difference in playing a Gen IV game as opposed to V or VI is that TMs are one-use. Most Pokemon will have to rely on their level up moves for coverage.

Should be an interesting run, I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

Faulty Technology - Part Two

We last left off with Tepig and Patrat. My goal right now is to train Patrat. Why? Because as soon as I will need another Pokemon Centre, I run the risk of having to dump Tepig in favour of Purrloin. And Purrloin is weak. Very weak.

So I'm actually going to put Patrat in my party first and train (and then switch-train) until my next Pokecenter use.

I check my items since it's been a while. I saved in the Pokemon Center, and when I leave ... suddenly its Autumn? The trees are brown. Wonderful.

Okay I've got six potions. Let's do this.

The Patrat Grinding Montage
Patrat is able to take out Level 2 Purrloins but takes 2 damage per attacking move. Ugh. This will take a while. I totally have no desire to grind this thing which I probably won't use. Right? RIGHT? Well. If the dice say otherwise...

Patrat stares down his second opponent - his exact equal. I switch train this and am terrified. Fortunately, the opposing Patrat uses Leer on Brazil (Tepig) four times in a row. I could swear that sometimes the opponent AI doesn't WANT you to be KOed. Good news. Brazil is almost at Level 8.

Strategy Thoughts: Do you conserve Potions at this stage? I can knockout a Level 2 Purrloin in two hits with Tackle from Patrat. I have only six potions.
Answer: I am going to use a Potion if necessary to get Patrat to Level 6. It has to be able to take on EVERYTHING in this area by itself. It won't be able to do that easily. For example, Level 2 Patrat Tackle does 4/18 damage to Greece (Patrat). Thankfully, it is now Level 5.

Okay so my goal will be: Patrat at Level 6, and Tepig at Level 8. Then heal and advance. Am I underestimating the trainers on Challenge mode? I really don't remember what the levels are like in this game. Patrat at Level 6 does not seem doable without a Potion. Its got a good 4-5 battles to go and is 8/20. But I've got 6 potions. A Level 4 Purrloin drops Patrat into the KOing range, but then .... Purrloin uses Leer! Its like it doesn't want me to die!

Patrat's battling is done. I get Brazil (Tepig) to Level 8. Lvl4 Purrloin's Scratch barely dents its inpenetrable hide.

...its a hide, right?

Anyway. Here's where I'm at:
GREECE (Patrat) - Level 5 (4/20 HP left)
BRAZIL (Tepig) - Level 8 (27/29 HP left)

Might as well level up Tepig. Ember 2HKOs everything in this region but it would be nice if it did a OHKO so I only take damage once upon switch-training. If I get a good roll I can start to train Purrloin while advancing. If I don't - Patrat at Level 5 should be able to take out enough in this region to hit Level 6.

...Easy, right? Yo. I just gained NINE EXPERIENCE from Tepig beating a Level 2 Patrat. Grinding is so not worth it. I'm going to go heal.
Tepig will be 1,3 and 5. Patrat will be 2,4,6. I **heal first** then roll:

Great.

The Onslaught Begins

Current Team -
Greece (Patrat) - Level 5 (20/20 HP)
France (Purrloin) - Level 2 (13/13 HP)

My Brave, Limber Purrloin. It stinks, doesn't it? My plan is actually to level up Patrat some more. I'm going to IGNORE Purrloin and try and catch other Pokemon. I want at least one ace in my party at all times. As long as I only have one box of Pokemon, that shouldn't be a problem.

The bad news is I am basically going to wind up training Patrat as much as possible - which is probably ONE LEVEL ONLY - then heal again. But as long as I have TWO Pokemon that can advance in the game now, I should be fine.

Patrat earns its stripes. It levels up to Level 6 in an intense battle with a Level 4 Purrloin that leaves it with 10 less HP than it started with. With the level up, it is at 12/22 HP. Moreover, it learns Bite. Woohoo.

Wait, isn't Tackle just as good because of STAB? Furthermore, I can't use BITE on these PURRLOINS. At least Patrat is faster than them now, and able to 2HKO a Level 4 Purrloin. Its left with 9/22 HP. I will try and get as much out of Patrat as possible but then I'm going to heal and advance. Grinding is no fun.

Well... Bite can flinch. So I guess its better if I'm faster.

I face off against a Level 3 Patrat. I have 9/22 HP left.

I use Bite. No flinch.

Patrat uses Tackle. CRITICAL HIT! Greece faints.

That Level 3 Patrat is more than half-defeated. I bring out France (Level 2 Purrloin). I will need to potion-spam here. Tackle does 7 damage. Purrloin has 6/13 HP left. God you suck, Purrloin.

I can risk running away and losing the game. I will need at least two scratches, possibly three, to pull this out. YOLO USE A POTION? Nah, I try to run away.

CAN'T RUN AWAY.
PATRAT USED TACKLE.
WHITEOUT!

Thank god this isn't a Nuzlocke. I'm dead. Rule Four:

Rule Four: Upon whiting out, standard Boxlocke rules apply. You will be automatically healed. Deposit one of your Pokemon at random into the PC as usual and carry on.

I get scolded from Nurse Joy and move on. Patrat you are 1,2,3. Purrloin you get the high numbers - 4,5,6. I roll:

I take out Brazil, of course. I need more Pokemon. Lets go catch more. This whiteout is embarassing.

I have no idea how much money I had before the whiteout, but I now have $2052. Hey this might be cheaper than using Potions. Since Brazil is now present. I will go fight trainers.

I run into the majestic
Alder.
He sizes me up.
"But, you're not exactly a seasoned Trainer yet" says Alder.

...no kidding.

He offers to train me. Okay Tepig. Prove yourself.

"Stop by the Pokemon Centre first if you must" says Alder.
And what? Have a 50% chance of losing Tepig? He's already out. He's staying out. Bring your worst. I've already experienced the wrath of a Level 3 Patrat.

Alder wants me to go give Hugh the map. Hugh's on Route 20. Good. Let's catch another Pokemon.

Oops. I just stumbled into a battle. Tepig. Prove yourself. This is the REDEMPTION BATTLE.

Key Battle 2.1: Terrell
OPPONENT has a Level 5 Patrat. I send out my Level 8 Brazil (Tepig)

Don't underestimate these Patrats! They will be the death of me!

Tepig confidently 2HKOs with Ember, not taking any damage. Okay. Tepig is now Level 9. Learns Odor SLEUTH.

"Wow, I could really tell you wanted to win" says Terrell.

MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD.

Lets leave off here:

BRAZIL (Tepig) - Level 9 (29/31 HP)
FRANCE (Purrloin) - Level 2 (13/13 HP)

With Patrat in the PC, of course.

Next Time: I'm on Route 20. I've got to catch more Pokemon. It would be nice if I had more than one good Pokemon at a time, too. So we start to build our team!

I decided to try this while I'm waiting for my Gauntlet challenge to fill up. I'm playing Ruby- with one major twist. I've randomized it. Types, abilities, movesets, held items, you name it, I pretty much did it. This is going to be the most fun randomizer ever because I'm going to be using everything. Enjoy some fun updates, I'll be writing the first one when I reach Petalburg. There have already been crazy hilarious things, Jimera0 and Kadew can attest to that as they were watching me play a little of it last night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)