Favorite Japanese Rock Bands?

I've recently been listening to lots of Japanese Rock music and I was interesting in other great JRock bands. Just post your favorite Japanese Rock band, what you're favorite song by them is, and why you like. For me, my favorites are:

1. L'Arc~en~Ciel - All around great band. Great lyrics, guitar, drums, and everything. They are very talented and they even have a few songs in English. (Spirit Dreams Inside) I could listen to them for hours and not get bored. If I had to choose a favorite song by them, it would have to be 'Killing Me'. It is fast tempo'd and is very catchy.

2. MUCC - The first Japanese band that I really took a liking to. Most of their songs are mid tempo and are very good. They have very few songs that I don't listen to. They have great lyrics and are wonderful musicians. My favorite song by them is probably "LA VIE EN ROSE feat. KYO". It's a very catchy song with great guitar drums and lyrics.

3. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - I first learned about this band from the Fullmetal Alchemist (original series) Season 4 intro. I was immediately in love with this band and own many of their songs. I love their lead singer and the guitar and drums are very good. My favorite song by them is "Rewrite", which was used for the FMA intro. It may be the first song I heard by them, but I will always love it.

So go ahead and post what your favorite JRock bands are. I look forward to learning about them.

By the way, I am also very fond of 'Rain' by SID. IT's a fairly sad song and I usually listen to it whenever I feel a little sad. It is very heartfelt and is a great song if you are interested into slow JRock music. It's a wonderful song.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
NATSUMEN - Japan has figured out postrock. Their brass section really adds so much to the music, especially in my personal favorite, "Newsummerboy".

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Nightmare - tried them out mainly because of the intro/outro on Death Note which were really good songs and then just liked them more and more.

Japanese Rock is really cool :)

Never been into non-American bands but I just looked up the song you mentioned DM and it was awesome. It manages to be hectic as hell with me getting bored and losing interest.

mouse on the keys is a really great japanese band that mixes jazz and post-rock stuff. i listened to them by recommendation from someone on smogon and they're awesome!

check out spectres de mouse

Most of the Japanese rock people listen to is associated with anime in some form and it is almost all trash. If your favorite band is described as "j-rock" or whatever it probably sucks. Here are some okay Japanese rock bands:

White Heaven
Boris
Les Rallizes Denudes
Mainliner
Koenjihyakkei
Zeni Geva
Ruins
Acid Mothers Temple
Acid Eater
Christine 23 Onna
The Gerogerigegege
High Rise
Fushitsusha
Flower Travellin Band
Up-Tight
The Stars
OOIOO
Boredoms
Church of Misery
Melt-Banana
Jellyroll Rockheads
Teengenerate
Registrators

Japan also apparently has a lot of good post rock bands (the only one I've checked out myself is té), but I am not really interested in that genre.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Boris
Acid Mothers Temple
The Gerogerigegege
OOIOO
Boredoms
Melt-Banana
so hilarious to see the gerogerigegege on smogon lol Tokyo Anal Dynamity is a god damn classic.

of course no discussion of japanese music would be complete without Merzbow, perhaps the most pre-eminent noise artist out there.

Also, not japanese but fronted by a japanese: Deerhoof.

so hilarious to see the gerogerigegege on smogon lol Tokyo Anal Dynamity is a god damn classic.
BOYS DON'T-A CRY ONETWOTHREEFOUR

that list was pretty comprehensive and included a lot of my favourite bands, so i guess i'll namedrop some stuff that wasn't mentioned...

Midori
Envy
sgt.
World's End Girlfriend
Heaven In Her Arms
Mutyumu
Nujabes
Tomato Steal

Ore Ska Band. I know it's ska, but japan nailed it. Their song "Yeah! Ska Dance" is fucking amazing.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I didn't realise World's End Girlfriend was Japanese. Fantastic group.

Am I the only one who likes Maximum the Hormone? I mean, Nu-metal isn't usually my thing but I love the way they pull it off... even though I haven't listened to them in forever...

Idunno, I'm not a huge JRock aficionado or anything so most of my knowledge extends to anime openings (Because who stays around to watch the endings right?) and some like... hardcore/punk bands...

Am I the only one who likes Maximum the Hormone? I mean, Nu-metal isn't usually my thing but I love the way they pull it off.....
You're not alone. I fairly enjoy them and 'What's up, People?'. However they're not among my favorites. I like how their music is similar to SOAD, which is another band that I fairly enjoy.

Toe rules, I second them wholeheartedly.
As for others I like:

Buffalo Daughter
MALICE MIZER had some good progressive stuff when, surprisingly, Gackt was around
LUNA SEA hellz yeah CAPITAL LETTERS FOR LIFE
Luminous Orange, sort of
To a certain extent cruyff in the bedroom, but mostly because of the band name

I'd recommend Yellow Magic Orchestra above all else but they're not REALLY a rock band. Also I can't believe anyone could ever seriously like Merzbow. Bands like Boris, maybe, but Merzbow's just...ew.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
The Pillows, anyone? They do music for FLCL, so if you're watched that, you've heard a good amount of their stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)