Fear: Ubers TR

Fear my Smeargle! (Ubers TR)

Introduction:

I usually play OU, but I have presented here one of my forays into Ubers. This smeargle set had been posted in QC, and it inspired me to create a team based on taking advantage of it and its unique place in Ubers. I'm still adapting to the metagame, but generally have most of the threats covered.
Ubers is a very speed-oriented and offensive metagame, and many teams find themselves unprepared for Trick Room. With it, I have climbed over 1500 on the ladder, beating many players on the leaderboard. Without further ado, I give you: Fear the Smeargle!

The Team

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Level 1
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Trick Room
- Dragon Rage
- Endeavor

Rarely is the star of the team the lead, but this is one of those situations. Smeargle poses an immediate threat to the opposing team, and has good matchups against Lead Kyogre, Groudon, and Dialga. (TR and then Spore/Endeavor [if Lum is probable]) It faces a poor matchup against Darkrai and Shaymin-S and a fair matchup against the ubiquitous Deoxys-S. Against most Deoxys-S, I Endeavor then coin flip for Dragon Rage/Trick Room (if they did not taunt the first turn). Generally they Taunt first, forcing them to choose between breaking my sash and setting up hazards.

If smeargle survives into lategame, he can come in during Trick Room and either sleep a threat or deal some damage with Endeavor. If his sash is still intact, he can even attempt to setup TR again. Against teams with no ghosts and a non-sleep/non-taunt lead, Smeargle can easily incapacitate or KO 3 pokemon, sleeping the lead, endeavoring the second and finishing it off with Dragon Rage, and Endeavoring a third before finally going down. Sadly, there are a few counters to this, such as switching in Scizor on the second turn and Bullet Punching Smeargle after being Endeavored.

Smeargle starts off the game with tremendous momentum, posing such an immediate threat that many opponents will forego SR in order to break its sash.

Ho-oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 224 HP/252 Atk/32 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Roost
- Earthquake

My answer to Darkrai and Shaymin-S, who both give Smeargle problems. Also a good answer to Giratina and Giratina-O, who both switch into Smeargle with impunity after something has been slept. Smeargle causes pokemon such as lead Groudon to forego Stealth Rock, allowing Ho-Oh to come in without losing 50% on the switch.

Ho-Oh's massively powerful Brave Bird has a good chance to KO min/min Kyogre, even without SR support. It takes on Taunt Mewto and is also a good answer to Lati@s, which are threatening to the team if Bronzong has gone down. Ho-Oh provides an offensive threat while patching up the two leads that Smeargle fares poorly against.

EVs outspeed Adamant Tyranitar and Defensive Kyogre outside of TR. I'm also considering moving EVs to Special Defense and Running Brave 0 Speed.

Kyogre @ Life Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Waterfall

My main TR sweeper. With the ability to 2HKO the entire metagame, the opponent will be hard pressed to find something to stop this under TR. Also can take a hit outside TR, if necessary. Waterfall catches Blissey for a surprise, as well as preventing me from being revenged by Wobbuffet who assume I only have special attacks. The main problem here is that TR just doesn't last long enough. With 1 turn gone at the setup and another on the switch, you only get 3 turns to tear a significant hole in your opponent.

Kyogre's impressive bulk allows him to take most any neutral physical attack and almost any special attack, while many threats get OHKO'ed back. He's often my second most valuable player after Smeargle, often netting 2 kills before going down.

Water Spout was considered, but it makes Kyogre a lot more vulnerable to priority and loses power quickly with Life Orb taking its toll. Often Kyogre will be damaged from taking down one foe, and it's important to hit the incoming foe with a powerful hit. Waterfall is indispensible to deal with Blissey and Wobbuffet to an extent, and the other moves are needed for coverage.

Dialga @ Life Orb
EVs: 180 HP/76 Atk/252 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Outrage
- Trick Room

Secondary TR sweeper and TR supporter. Also taken from an analysis under write-up, and a terror under TR. EV'ed to survive a Specs Water Spout after SR, though of course it can't switch in directly. Dragon has great coverage and many are surprised to be hit by an Outrage when I'm -2 after a Draco Meteor. Flamethrower is primarily for Scizor, who can outspeed me under Trick Room, even with Quiet and 0 IVs.

Dialga plays a crucial role in setting up my second/third guaranteed Trick Room and is the only thing stopping Specs Ogre from annihilating my entire team when TR is down (switching out of Darkrai will allow it to come back later). If faced by a Scizor, Ho-Oh can come in with near impunity and keep sweeping.

Wobbuffet can switch in on the TR and Encore it, stealing all my momentum and giving my opponent the chance to setup. Tyranitars are also sometimes an issue, and Outrage doesn't hit them as hard as I'd like it to.

Bronzong @ Macho Brace
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SDef
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball

Bronzong my most reliable Trick Roomer, and a great switch into most Dragons and Groudon. It mainly just Trick Rooms then explodes, but it's damn good at its job. With max HP and Special Defense, it can take a Scarfed Kyogre's Water Spout, or 2 Thunders from Timid Specs Dialga. It's also a good check to Rayquaza, which would otherwise trouble my team. Gyro Ball with Macho Brace hits most Ubers with 150 base power (225 after STAB), including hitting Giratina-O harder than a super effective Payback.

I also considered Haban Palkia for this role, as it can also setup Trick Room against a variety of threats. However, Bronzong is a far more reliable Trick Roomer and a great check to the Dragons of the tier. One key advantage of Bronzong is that it outspeeds Wobbuffet under Trick Room, meaning that a single well played Wobbuffet cannot come in repeatedly and foil my attempts to Trick Room.

Darkrai @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 52 HP/204 Spd/252 SAt
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Finally, we have Darkrai! I needed something to go to if TR is down, something that can shut down a bunch of threats so that I can get TR back up again. Darkrai provides that. He checks DD Ray and a host of other threats, protecting the team against a sweep and allowing me to regain momentum with TR. Standard coverage moves here allow me to hit a wide variety of threats.

Lategame Darkrai can come in and sweep with his impressive coverage and blistering speed. Stiff competition for this slot came from Mewtwo and Shaymin-S, who can also run scarf sets. However, Mewtwo is twice as vulnerable to Wobbuffet, who already gives Dialga problems, and Shaymin-S doesn't boast nearly the same impressive coverage. Great neutral coverage on Dark Pulse is essential to prevent being setup on should I reveal Darkrai midgame.

Strategy Against Different Team Types

Offense
Offense is the most common team type, and the easiest matchup for this team. Momentum is essential, and luckily my Trick Roomers are designed to setup TR against a wide variety of threats. Dialga can setup against Kyogre; Bronzong can setup against dragons and Groudon. Once Trick Room is up, opponents have a hard time sacrificing to Kyogre and Dialga. Darkrai cleans up well with its stellar coverage and speed.
Balanced
A difficult matchup, as many OHKOs become 2HKOs, stalling out my TR turns. Additionally, there's the threat that opposing sweepers can come in while TR is down, forcing me to sacrifice to the point where I cannot break their defensive core. Changes on Ho-Oh might aid this, perhaps to a Sub-stall set, but I haven't tested it. Presence of Giratina-O severely limits Smeargle's damage earlygame, making this a difficult matchup.
Stall
Here's a situation where Leftovers on Bronzong might be useful. Protect Blissey stalls out Trick Room turns and scouts Outrage on Dialga, which is a real issue. If their Giratina goes down or becomes incapacitated, Smeargle might be able to come in later and cause some damage. Luckily Smeargle prevents lead Forretress/Dialga from getting down hazards early, reducing residual damage somewhat as I switch around. Perhaps giving Kyogre Calm Mind might help here?
Baton Pass
Getting Trick Room up ensures that opponents cannot outspeed me after the pass, but Ninjask is surely a terror with Protect to stall out TR turns. Thankfully, I haven't run into many of these, though I could easily switch Roost for Whirlwind if Ninjask becomes an issue. Also, in rain Bronzong can take any attack from a +2 Groudon, allowing it to get TR back up again and explode.

Conclusion

I've had some good success with this team, climbing close to the top 50 on the ladder, but I know I can do even better with a few improvements. Smeargle has the potential to take down or otherwise incapacitate up to 3 pokemon, so if my opponent plays his lead incorrectly, he's just screwed. Trick Room is a dangerous force in Ubers, and getting one off lategame can turn something like a 3v2 into a win. Taunt is an issue sometimes, and Wobbuffet can sometimes come in and Encore Dialga, causing a massive headache and/or possibly burning all my TR PP. Defensively, the team is relatively sturdy, but faces the same dilemmas of other TR teams. Lead Darkrai are guaranteed to shut one of my Pokemon down, which is not fun. If the enemy team is able to force Smeargle out and get rocks down, I start having issues. The fact that my own Rocks often don't go down is another problem. Trick Room easily gets stalled out by switches, and good players will sacrifice during TR knowing that I'll be in trouble outside it. I'm open to all suggestions, and I'm just hoping to improve as a player. Thanks in advance for your rates!

Fear. The. Smear.

You might want smeargle to be level one, you know with minimum HP EVs/IVs for endeavour. I'd use scarf mewtwo as darkrai's only advantage over mewtwo is dark void. You might want water spout on ogre as it can deal heaps of damage. I'd also switch to groudon over ho-oh since SR will hurt and smeargle can't endeavour unless it is lv 1.

It is level 1. Printout doesn't mention such though, so I'll edit it.

Would you mind justifying some of those comments? I agree that Mewtwo has higher base spA, but Darkrai gets STAB Dark Pulse, which has good coverage in Ubers and is harder to setup on.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I got the PM to rate this team. Anyway, while I'm not very keen on Trick Room in general, this is a good team with a lot threats covered nicely. That Smeargle lead is a killer. However, I see one problem with this team: You don't have a good switch-in to Kyogre. Specs Water Spout would do >70% or OHKO every one of your Pokemon. My suggestion?? Change your revenge killer from Darkrai to Scarf Palkia (Since he can actually switch in once or twice to SpecsOgre, if TR is down, obviously switch to something else):

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Timid/Hasty
-Draco Meteor/Spacial Rend
-Surf
-Thunder
-Fire Blast/Outrage (Pick Hasty if you're running Outrage)

Also, while I know Ho-oh is great to deal with Darkrai and Shaymin-S, it's not pairing up well with Kyogre, since Rain dampens its offensive AND defensive ability (For example, it's going to wrecked by Palkia while in the sun, it walls it). If you want something to deal with Darkrai, Skymin and Taunt Mewtwo, consider SD Scizor (If you still want a sweeper):

Scizor @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SpD, IVs: 0 Spe
Nature: Brave
-Swords Dance
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Roost/Superpower

Scizor can check Darkrai and Taunt Mewtwo quite nicely (Although Taunt WoW Mewtwo is annoying), while picking Skymin off with Bullet Punch. In TR, he can also abuse SD and Bug Bite and become faster than pretty much everything.

Otherwise, this team is very good, hope I helped, good luck.

I've been playtesting with Palkia, and the results are mixed. A solid switch to Kyogre is helping significantly, as I no longer have to sacrifice the pokemon that's currently out in order to get Dialga in. On the other hand, I've been having some issues with Wobbuffet and setup sweepers after Palkia's killed something. I often need Palkia to finish off threats that are at 1% after Smeargle hit them, and cannot afford to allow the opponent any setup midgame (Draco Meteor is needed for OHKOs but becomes setup bait midgame, and all the other moves can be exploited).

The Scizor set looks good, but I'm worried that it won't check the leads that I need it to. It risks a 2HKO from Shaymin-S, and BP is a 2HKO, so I can't afford to switch in on Air Slash. I also really need Ho-Oh to check Giratina, as otherwise I'd have to switch something in on it, and this team would prefer not to switch unless it is a surefire counter, as almost none of the pokemon have recovery. Instead of removing Ho-Oh, can you see any way of fitting Groudon in?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess you can replace Kyogre with Groudon if you really want Groudon in the team. Since you're using Trick Room, Groudon can run something like SD and it could be quite devastating:

Groudon @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def, IVs: 0 Spe
Nature: Brave
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Fire Punch

The only thing that can probably take a hit from this is Giratina, who is still 2HKO'd after an SD.

I think I'll skip the Scizor, as I need the defense Ho-Oh gives against problematic leads. Testing the Groudon right now with Fire Blast Palkia.

in ubers, trick room is a really good idea. however, latias RUINS you, especially when dialga is down. After it calm minds, kyogre's ice beams wont be doing much and Latias can easily 2HKO with thunder. That, btw, is how I beat uber trick room. Maybe Tyranitar??

I'd played with Tyranitar a bit, but I generally found it a bit lacking in power outside TR. Admittedly, Latias is a huge problem for Kyogre even with TR up, but Bronzong and Ho-Oh are pretty good checks to most Latias sets.

Currently testing Groudon over Kyogre, and it wrecks Latias given that Stone Edge doesn't miss.

I've seen some trick room teams on the uber ladder and they work wonders. the really do catch the opponent off guard.

Ho-Oh's massively powerful Brave Bird has a good chance to KO min/min Kyogre, even without SR support. It takes on Taunt Mewto and is also a good answer to Lati@s, which are threatening to the team if Bronzong has gone down. Ho-Oh provides an offensive threat while patching up the two leads that Smeargle fares poorly against.

EVs outspeed Adamant Tyranitar and Defensive Kyogre outside of TR. I'm also considering moving EVs to Special Defense and Running Brave 0 Speed.
i'd recommend the ev shift and nature change, as you should be switching that in with trick room active, even if for just one turn. your team has great synergy so finding appropriate switch ins shouldn't be hard off the get go. I also advise running substitute over earthquake because you already have steel covered with sacred fire. opposing dialga would be problematic but i find it best that you use the opportunity to roost hp and switch to an appropriate counter. after seeing what move it uses to break your sub.

Shrangs Groudon also works wonders on your team compensating for EQ loss.

I also support the Palkia over Darkrai idea, but it should be a trick room using Palkia.

Quiet
252 hp/252 sp atk @ life orb/leftovers.
-spacial rend
-fire blast
-thunder
-trick room

that way wobbufet comes in on a spacial rend or something, you use trick room as it mirror coats and then switch back to spacial rend as it encores this gets you your 3hko if stealth rock is down and with out rick if you have life orb. scarf kyogre at full health wont mean anything to palkia as it comes in full health and takes less than 27% from water spout, allowing you to set up trick room with it and deal with what ever comes out accordingly. it does make a great partner for groudon.

honestly trick room is an overlooked move and can serve as a huge game changer as almost all teams are unprepared for it. Play with your resistances in mind and you should be fine. good luck with your team and i hope i helped.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You might want smeargle to be level one, you know with minimum HP EVs/IVs for endeavour. I'd use scarf mewtwo as darkrai's only advantage over mewtwo is dark void. You might want water spout on ogre as it can deal heaps of damage. I'd also switch to groudon over ho-oh since SR will hurt and smeargle can't endeavour unless it is lv 1.
if smeargle is lvl 1 then u cant outpace forretress and dialga cause of ur low speed and even if ur smeargle was lvl 100 spore wouldnt work cause of most of these leads running lum berry...i think u should change smeargle with something else...

if smeargle is lvl 1 then u cant outpace forretress and dialga cause of ur low speed and even if ur smeargle was lvl 100 spore wouldnt work cause of most of these leads running lum berry...i think u should change smeargle with something else...
He already mentions how he handles lum users. read before commenting please!

In case it wasn't clear, I Trick Room and then Endeavor against Lum users, leaving the foe at 1HP and giving me 3 turns of TR to abuse. Usually Kyogre comes out as my first sweeper, as it's the hardest to stop under TR, threatened only by Latias.

Quiet
252 hp/252 sp atk @ life orb/leftovers.
-spacial rend
-fire blast
-thunder
-trick room

that way wobbufet comes in on a spacial rend or something, you use trick room as it mirror coats and then switch back to spacial rend as it encores this gets you your 3hko if stealth rock is down and with out rick if you have life orb. scarf kyogre at full health wont mean anything to palkia as it comes in full health and takes less than 27% from water spout, allowing you to set up trick room with it and deal with what ever comes out accordingly. it does make a great partner for groudon.
The problem with this is that I need at least one scarf to get me out of tight spots when TR is down. Otherwise something like Mix Rayquaza or SD Groudon could just steamroll my entire team with their power and coverage. Also, I need to be able to pick off weakened opponents without taking a massive hit.

Ah, and Trick Rooming against Wobbuffet is a poor idea. If you ever Trick Room, it outspeeds you the next turn and Encores you into it. Then it can just sit there as you burn Trick Room's PP uselessly. If you happen to get unlucky and setup Trick Room on again on the turn Encore ends (about a 50% chance), it can Encore you again, and after that you'll be completely drained of TR PP. It can proceed to Mirror Coat you or switch out sometime during this, giving another pokemon an opportunity to setup. Evil, eh? That's why I needed Bronzong as a Trick Roomer, as it will go before Wobbuffet under TR. Trick Room is relatively easy to predict, so without Bronzong, a well-played Wobbuffet could easily switch in on my TR attempts and prevent me from ever getting it up, leaving my team helpless against faster sweepers.

On Smeargle, what if you made it with Magic Coat over Dragon Rage? It handles status, and has priority so it would make Darkrai Dark Void itself. It will not stop Taunt, but can stop Dark Void. On Shoddy Battle, however, there is a glitch that makes Magic Coat bounce back Taunt... so if using Shoddy, it works perfectly.

You could make up for Dragon Rage by using Tyranitar / Abamasnow to finish off the 1 HP foes. These are much slower than you Kyogre, so they benefit from Trick Room, and Tyranitar holding an Iron Ball, can use Fling for a 195 Base Power Dark Move.

Abamasnow gets STAB blizzard, and with Trick Room, it can afford to go Mixed (like your Kyogre) and not invest in Speed. Plus Abamasnow can counter both Groudon and Kyogre if it switches into anything barring Fire Punch/Stone Edge (counters EQ/Dragon Claw/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock Groudon variants). Abamsnow also hits more with Hail to help with Endeavor.

*Most Importantly: Kyogre ruins Ho-oh's, and Dialga's Fire moves, while Abamasnow can allow your team to use Blizzard (Darkrai) over Ice Beam.

Abamasnow also handles Shaymin-S/Rayquaza/Garchomp/Salamence/Celebi under Trick Room:

Abamasnow: Expert Belt
252 Attack / 252 SpA
(+Attack , - Speed)

Blizzard
Wood Hammer
Hidden Power Fire
Earthquake (Heatran / Dialga / Magnezone).

Hidden power Fire works well if the foe switches in Groudon, since it gets a boost and can hit Forretress/Scizor/Metagross/Jirachi harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)