Featured Rater #1 - Jirachee

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Banner by Living So Zambian

Welcome to the Featured Rater project! This is a series of interviews where we will ask official Team Raters, new and old, several questions about the RMT forum and their experiences within it. We hope that this will offer both entertainment and an insight into their thought processes, which aspiring raters can look to incorporate into their own rates. This project will be hosted by Steve Angello and me. Our first interviewee is Jirachee, my cute co-leader and a long-time rater!

Jirachee

Tell us a little bit about your life outside Smogon.

My life is pretty boring tbh :pirate: I'm just a french canadian maths student who happens to love video games, Pokemon in particular.

What is your main tier? Do you rate teams from any other tiers?

My main tier is BW OU! I don't rate as much as I used to but I rate a few UU teams once in a while, since BW isn't the main gen anymore. I'll always be happy to give a BW or DPP OU rate though.

When did you start rating and why?

Uh, around summer of 2011. Back then I was still pretty new and I was looking to make a name for myself on smogon, so I thought getting a badge would be the best way to do that. I liked RMT because it was a simple way to help people, unlike C&C which had a complicated process. I stopped rating a few times which is why I only got the badge pretty much a full year later. Back then BW was the main gen, and I wasn't really good yet, but interestingly enough rating teams really helped me improve my team building game, which is another reason why I loved doing it.

Are there any raters who you looked up to when you first started rating?

Quite a few! My co-leader ib93 is one of them. I pretty much stole my rating format from him at first, which is one of the most important aspects of a good rate imo. Also took a few pages out of that noob harsha's book ~_~

What do you most enjoy about rating?

I really like the feeling you get when you make a good rate that really improves someone's team. I see quite a few raters only trying to fix weaknesses which is boring. A team is a concept, and being able to improve it is really nice.

Do you follow a process with your rates?

Of course. The first thing I do is look at the team and get a "gut" feeling. Sometimes they just don't feel right and I try to identify what makes me feel that way. Sometimes you can easily improve how a team tries to accomplish its goal and those make for the best rate. Then, I check if the team is able to handle the most common offensive threats, if it's able to break stall, and if it's weak to something common (like hazards for example) and try to find solutions.

Do you have any advice for the aspiring raters out there?

My biggest advice is: stop trying to look for weaknesses to x threat. Every team has weaknesses but that's not the most important aspect of a team, especially on offensive teams. Try and understand what the builder was trying to do with their team, and improve that idea. Sometimes an idea can be really good, but the execution is poor. You can easily ruin an idea and make a team that makes no sense at all if you're just trying to patch another Keldeo weakness.

Also, play the damn game. The best advice comes from experience, not theory.

What are your thoughts on how the RMT forum, and rating in general, has evolved over the years?

Well I wasn't really around for the so called "glory days", but from what I see not much has changed on the raters side. We still have a lot of motivated people to make things happen. The biggest change is the ridiculous increase in traffic we have compared to the BW days, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Do you like the direction the RMT forum is taking at the moment? If you could change something, what would it be?

I really like that we have a lot of active raters at the moment. It makes me feel confident about the future of the section. At one point I wasn't sure we'd have enough people to make it progress. And there's no "if", as if I see something that I can change to make things better, I'll make it happen ;]

Lastly, can you give us an example of a rate that exemplifies your particular style of rating?

Yeah, this one: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/☻.3512485/#post-5599908

So as you can see, this is a stall team with a random ass Keldeo on it. I thought that it would benefit a lot more from Suicune, since those teams usually lack a win condition to close games and will just win or lose on match up. Suicune is a very reliable win condition and can help in situations where you face a bad match up by setting up aggressively.

Also 0 speed gliscor? harsha is a retard LOL

------------

Thanks Jirachee for a great interview! Feel free to leave any questions you have for him below. See you all next time :toast:

Last edited:

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
some simple questions that crossed my mind:

what is it like leading the rmt forum? how do you and ib93 come to a decision regarding what direction to lead the rmt forum?

what tiers do you think need more active team raters?

what do you think draws people into the team rating business in the first place?

do you think team showcase succeeded in fulfilling its original purpose?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How much does a player's reputation come into play when deciding what teams go into the showcase? Has there ever been a time where there was a good team that was rejected because the player was just some random guy?

Explain your mutual hatredness with harsha to an outsider.

What are these glory days of rmt that I hear about? I realize you said you weren't around then but do you know anything about them?

Thoughts on the Staff Archive teams and the RMT Archive in general?

Would you still choose me as a moderator knowing I am a diehard Bruins fan (assuming you're a Canadians fan)?

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
sorry for l8 response

what is it like leading the rmt forum? how do you and ib93 come to a decision regarding what direction to lead the rmt forum?
it's nothing too complicated. whenever one of us comes up with something we talk to the other and take action.
what tiers do you think need more active team raters?
every tier, for sure. we have a lot of dudes at the moment (the most since the beginning of xy) but it's always great to have more. I think our lower tiers raters would rather have more teams to rate though =\
what do you think draws people into the team rating business in the first place?
depends, I think there's 2 type of raters. you'll have those who rate for the badge and those who rate because they enjoy helping people with Pokemon. a lot of people end up leaving soon and I think those are the first kind.
do you think team showcase succeeded in fulfilling its original purpose?
sure! I think that with our growing user base we needed something more than the archive to reward good rmts, and I think the showcase is good for that.

How much does a player's reputation come into play when deciding what teams go into the showcase? Has there ever been a time where there was a good team that was rejected because the player was just some random guy?
the way we pick a rmt for the showcase is pretty simple; if we see a good team we move it there. so of course when we see a team posted by someone known it draws our attention. but in the end, it doesn't really matter if the player is known or not, so we've never rejected a team because of that.
Explain your mutual hatredness with harsha to an outsider.
harsha and I are good friends and we like to joke around. the whole "we hate each other" thing started because when we started, there was a mod in rmt called mostwanted (he goes by lust now) who really hated harsha. the way he talked was funny so we imitated him a lot. it's evolved since then but yeah.

here's another harsha story that explains why I hate him so much. like 3 years ago he asked haunter for a bigger pm box (vbulletin limited the number of pms you could get) but he fucked up and gave him senior staff access instead. now, instead of taking screenshots and showing them to his friends like a normal human being, he went directly to great sage and alerted him of haunter's mistake. shows what kind of person he is :pirate:
What are these glory days of rmt that I hear about? I realize you said you weren't around then but do you know anything about them?
ask tab

Thoughts on the Staff Archive teams and the RMT Archive in general?
I love the staff archive teams, I think they fit the spirit of the archive very well. that way we can make an actual storyline of the metagame's development and I think that's a great project!
Would you still choose me as a moderator knowing I am a diehard Bruins fan (assuming you're a Canadians fan)?
no man if I knew that before you were a mod I would have banned your sorry ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)