Feel the Pressure

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Hello and welcome to my second RMT! This team is built around SubToxic Articuno, a cool and underrated threat. This team isn't perfect, but I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Hope you enjoy!

The Team at a Glance:

I was casually browsing the forums when I felt like building a team around an uncommon but viable Pokemon that I hadn't used before. After giving it some thought, SubToxic Articuno looked annoying so I went with it.

Ah Mega Steelix, the best Pokemon in the tier. I needed a solid Stealth Rock setter that could take on Rock- and Electric-types well, so this is what I got. I wanted a second Electric-type check and Tyrantrum check with recovery and the ability to take on Emboar and various setup sweepers, so in goes Quagsire.

Articuno has a decent match-up vs more stall oriented teams, but I knew it wasn't going to break stall by itself. I also needed a status absorber and a Fighting-type check, so I went with Sigilyph.

Psychic-types are an issue for the rest of my team and I needed a Defogger, so I went with Skuntank. Dugtrio traps various Steel-types for Articuno as well as stuff like Houndoom for Sigilyph.
Articuno @ Leftovers | Pressure
Calm | 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Substitute / Toxic / Roost / Freeze-Dry

The star of the show, and everything on the team supports it in one way or another. I couldn't find an RU spread for Articuno anywhere, so I created a custom spread. Considering that most people don't even know what Articuno does or what it's capable of, I'll have to go into great detail here. The given Speed EVs outpace Modest Samurott by 1 point so Articuno can switch into and 2HKO it with Freeze-Dry. I gave it max HP and put the rest into SpD so it can take special hits extremely well. I'll go ahead and post some calcs to demonstrate:

252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 153-181 (39.9 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 169-200 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 163-193 (42.5 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Clawitzer Scald vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 121-142 (31.5 - 37%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 320-376 (83.5 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Impressive, right? Well, this isn't even the main purpose of this Pokemon. It stalls out many defensively-oriented Pokemon and PP stalls attacks. For instance, if my opponent's Steel-type is Bronzong, Articuno can effectively reduce its Gyro Ball PP to 0 with the combination of Substitute and Pressure. Another example, if my opponent sends out a Houndoom as my Articuno sets up a Substitute, it can easily reduce Houndoom's Fire Blast PP to 0, then effectively Toxic stall Houndoom. If you think that's cool, here are some calcs of some defensive Pokemon vs Articuno:

0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 58-69 (15.1 - 18%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Alomomola Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 67-81 (17.4 - 21.1%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Aromatisse Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 69-82 (18 - 21.4%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Uxie Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 67-81 (17.4 - 21.1%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Qwilfish Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 84-99 (21.9 - 25.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery (Only occasionally breaks Articuno's Substitute)

0 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 55-66 (14.3 - 17.2%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

Articuno also lures in Steel-types that Dugtrio can trap, making Toxic stalling much easier for Articuno. In case you were wondering, Articuno stalls out Eelektross unless it decides to run something weird like Adamant Expert Belt Drain Punch since it can Roost on Electric-type attacks and Flamethrower doesn't 2HKO. Now, next up is...

Steelix @ Steelixite | Sturdy
Adamant | 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Stealth Rock / Heavy Slam / Earthquake / Stone Edge

Mega Steelix! The main purpose of Mega Steelix is to eat up Rock- and Electric-type moves aimed at Articuno and set Stealth Rock. It also does a phenomenal job of luring in bulky Water-types so I can double to Articuno or Sigilyph, depending on the situation, and attempt to stall or set up from there. In fact, thanks to Mega Steelix's offensive nature, very few offensive Pokemon will want to switch into any of its attacks, so it baits in defensive Pokemon quite nicely. Mega Steelix also serves as my Flying-resist and emergency Psychic-type check in the event that Skuntank gets incapacitated. I previously used an Assault Vest Escavalier and delegated the role of Stealth Rock setter to a Seismitoad that took Quagsire's place, but I had some problems with setup sweepers like Scrafty, SubBU Braviary, and Malamar, and Seismitoad often got worn down too easily to consistently check what it was supposed to.

Quagsire @ Leftovers | Unaware
Impish | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Scald / Earthquake / Recover / Curse

Mega Steelix can get pressured trying to check so many things at once, so in order to help alleviate some of that pressure, I decided to run Quagsire. It's useful as a secondary check to Jolteon, which I need to scout to determine its Hidden Power, and Quagsire checks some of the same Pokemon as Mega Steelix courtesy of their Ground-typing, but there are some key differences that set them apart. Quagsire checks Fire-types, particularly Scarf Emboar, and can handle some relevant setup sweepers mentioned above, which Mega Steelix cannot. While Quagsire can't punish its switch-ins with powerful attacks like Mega Steelix can, Quagsire has access to reliable recovery, which helps it take on threats like Tyrantrum and Rhyperior more consistently. When I had Seismitoad on this team in place of Quagsire, I battled Senpai D.M's stall team and he 6-0ed me with Malamar. After this battle, I noticed that I was weak to DD / BU Scrafty as well, so I made the appropriate changes. However, in order to actually deal with BU Scrafty and Malamar, I'm running Curse. In some rare cases, Curse Quagsire can actually serve as a win condition, but this is usually only true against poorly built teams. I'm running Scald over Waterfall because burning stuff is invaluable and Quagsire isn't going to be sweeping with Curse.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb | Magic Guard
Timid | 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Mind / Psycho Shift / Air Slash / Roost

RIP Stall. Flame Orb CM Sigilyph is easily the best stallbreaker to ever grace this world. It serves as a great check to most Fighting-types except a couple, which are covered by Quagsire. Sigilyph is a great status absorber, which is very necessary on this team as it is. It pairs decently well with Articuno in breaking defensive Pokemon, with Articuno pp stalling attacks so it's easier for Sigilyph to set up on specific Pokemon and Sigilyph burning Steel-type, wearing them down so Articuno has an easier time vs them. Once Dugtrio gets rid of Houndoom for Sigilyph, it gets a lot more leeway to set up and spread status, and Pursuit Spiritomb, an otherwise solid Sigilyph answer, is setup bait for this set. Sigilyph is so great because unlike Articuno, it can switch directly into most defensive Pokemon and it doesn't take Stealth Rock damage.

Skuntank @ Black Glasses | Aftermath
Adamant | 232 Atk / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Pursuit / Sucker Punch / Crunch / Defog

Skuntank is much more uncommon now and isn't usually chosen for a teamslot when there are better Defog users like Flygon and Togetic as well as better Pursuit trappers like Houndoom and Escavalier, but it fulfills a unique niche in being able to compress these roles, which are both necessary for my team. Skuntank traps Scarf Delphox, Meloetta, and Sigilyph, which are otherwise big threats to my team, and Defogs Stealth Rock for Articuno. It also provides the bulk and typing to keep offensive Tangrowth in check and to be an emergency check to Rotom-C. Sucker Punch is useful in picking off weakened threats and creates 50/50s with Psychic-types. It needs Crunch in order to achieve a 2HKO vs Sigilyph after getting burned, which is unfortunate since it would be really nice to run Poison Jab to hit Tangrowth and Rotom-C.

Dugtrio @ Life Orb | Arena Trap
Naive | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Earthquake / Substitute / Aerial Ace / Hidden Power Fire

This is a pretty straightforward Pokemon, Dugtrio can trap what it usually does with this set, but with Aerial Ace and Hidden Power Fire, it can trap Virizion and Durant, two very threatening Pokemon to my team. Dugtrio trapping Houndoom is useful for Sigilyph so it has an easier time sweeping and trapping Steel-types is useful for Articuno so it has an easier time stalling. To trap Houndoom, I get it in by double switching from Sigilyph since Sigilyph lures in Houndoom very well. It's also a decent revenge killer thanks to its high Speed and ability. Not much else to say about this, really.

Concerns and Threats:
One of my main concerns with this team is that there's a lot of pressure on Skuntank to Defog, which can be difficult to pull off considering that it's trying to Pursuit trap at the same time. The team's also pretty vulnerable to status outside of Sigilyph, but it can't switch into every user of status moves. Some common users of status that can be troublesome are Fletchinder, Mega Camerupt, and Jellicent. Jellicent can be played around by Articuno + Sigilyph, Fletchinder gets dealt with by Mega Steelix even when burned, but half of Mega Steelix's great offensive presence gets cut down, and Mega Camerupt is just a big threat.

Note: Threats are not presented in any particular order.

High-Level Threats

Mega Camerupt, especially offensive variants with a lot of Speed, OHKOes everything on my team except Quagsire, which goes down after just a bit of prior damage and can't even OHKO Mega Camerupt with Scald. To be fair, Mega Camerupt has to run at least 168 Speed EVs to outpace Mega Steelix, which is quite a bit. To get around this, I have to get some prior damage on it, then revenge kill it with Dugtrio. Articuno can also attempt to PP stall it if it runs Fire Blast over Flamethrower.

Rotom-C is probably the biggest threat to this team. Between sets like Choice Specs and Expert Belt Will-O-Wisp, the only thing on my team that can really take hits from it is Skuntank, which is pressured enough as it is to perform its roles to the point where it can hardly deal with it at all.

Mega Glalie, especially sets with Freeze-Dry, can be quite troublesome. Mega Steelix can switch in a couple of times, but Mega Glalie will eventually break through it. I deal with it by letting Stealth Rock wear it down to the point where Sucker Punch can KO it. Worst case scenario, Skuntank goes down and Mega Glalie dies to Aftermath.

Mid-Level Threats

While Exploud is pretty threatening, this stops it just short of being a high-level threat:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Articuno: 201-237 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
If Exploud tries to come in on Articuno, it can just Toxic it and Roost in its face until Boomburst runs out of PP. Mega Steelix can also take a couple Boombursts and after a bit of prior damage Dugtrio revenge kills it.

Fighting-types (think Hitmonlee, Medicham, Sawk, etc.) are checked by Sigilyph, but are otherwise pretty threatening. Dugtrio revenge kills them assuming they don't have a Choice Scarf, but Choice-locked Fighting-types can be played around.

Eelektross has crazy coverage and will run whatever it wants. Watch out for everything. Scout for everything. You never know when you'll get that Choice Band Rock Slide Eelektross. I could say something along these lines for a lot of other Pokemon but I don't like Eelektross so it gets a section of its own. That's how it is.

I may have missed some because I was pretty tired when I made this. If you see something that stands out as a threat let me know, thanks :)

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-282233321
This is how my matches on the ladder usually turn out.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-283083594
How it performed vs a stall team.

I'll try to get more replays later.
Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 124 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 76 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Curse

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psycho Shift
- Air Slash
- Roost

Skuntank @ Black Glasses
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 232 Atk / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Defog

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Substitute
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ping_Pong_Along for helping me create the "skeleton" of this team and just being a cool dude
Minus for getting me into Smogon and competitive battling in general. Stay awesome :)
Arikado we don't really talk anymore but you helped me get into RU and you're a cool person to talk to.
gamer boy we hardly talk anymore but you're a good friend
Expulso welcome back to RU lol
DKFirelord aoemica gorex Leer Schaff thecrystalonix Mistress Remilia Heydude:D Diogo Lord Death Man friends in RU, you're all awesome people, we should chat more :)
LightningLuxray GlassGlaceon Sapphire. cacturne FookMi? dawnmidst TheCamelBoy skysolo14 unklewiggles and anyone else, I'm alive, I just haven't been posting much in case you were wondering. I'm usually in the RU room on Pokemon Showdown. Old frends :)
Dododoggy you're one of my oldest friends here, and you were awesome to talk to. You're part of the reason why I kept playing this game.
If I missed anyone then I'm sorry, just pretend your name is here.

Hope you enjoyed!​

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Eelektross is crazy man, hopefully you never find a sub coil eelektross...

Really solid team, really like the foundation and how every member contributes to how the team works. Sadly, this team is extremely sensitive to any potential changes without opening more holes for the threats to take advantage of.

Only thing I could potentially see as an option is running sucker punch instead of hidden power fire on dugtrio. It alleviates the exceeding mega glalie pressure a bit since sucker can 3hko which between rocks and steelix + articuno pressuring togetic and flygon, 2 most common defoggers, it can help a lot. At risk of having to play more carefully around durant with quagsire and company. Banded variants are the most difficult variants to check cause it is brutally strong but the rest are manageable. Sucker punch + aftermath on skuntank puts durant into kill range from EQ so you can get rid of it, just not as easily like with hp fire.

Lum berry over black glasses on skuntank could alleviate skuntank the amount of pressure under skuntank a bit, especially against sets like calm mind flame orb which is annoying ironically.

Really tough team to rate since I do believe it is mostly "perfect" in its functions but really hope my recommendations help. Really neat stuff, man!

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there nice team, although fighting type cores can be pretty threatening for you, as they can come through your team just with their stab if Sigilyph is weakened, and they can still hit him on the switch with a coverage move (especially knock off, who removes your flame orb giving you an harder time setting up). I don't really think there is a way to remove this weakness without any changes to mons, so I'm just going to give some suggestions that don't change your team too much.

My first suggestion is to run Togetic over Sigilyph, it will help you checking better fighting types, while it will also give you a cleric to your team, to preserve the defensive core healty, especially because Articuno is meant to be your Scald Absorber, and between Substite and burn recoil it will worn down fastly. Losing Sigilyph will mean that you will have some problem againist Stall, so I suggest you to keep Articuno healty as possible againist them.

With the addition of Togetic to your team, you don't really need Skuntank anymore to have hazard control, so I suggest you to run Spiritomb over Skuntank. Spiritomb helps more againist things like Meloetta, being immune to both the STABs, as Skuntank can lose to Hyper Voice Meloetta if you don't win the mindgames, and Spiritomb does a good job checking Sub CM Meloetta, thanks to Infiltrator.

This is all :) I hope my suggestions helped you a bit, and good luck with your team!

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost
- Defog

Spiritomb (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Atk / 40 Def / 72 SpA / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Icy Wind
- Psychic

Hi, this looks like a very cool build indeed based around Articuno but there are a few pretty glaring weaknesses that come from the fact that you rely on Dugtrio to deal with a few big threats to your team in Houndoom, Virizion, Delphox, and a few more and after they go down it all goes downhill. I feel like the biggest way to improve on that would be to replace Sigilyph since it pretty much accomplishes what Articuno already does in terms of how it is played and the kind of Pokemon that it beats. The better most straightforward option would definitely be to use Togetic, which would free you the Skuntank slot to run Drapion and get Toxic Spikes support as well to support the Articuno while keeping its useful typing. Togetic also does slightly better vs Houndoom since it is able to Thunder Wave it at least.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Like most people are saying Togetic seems like a better option than Sigilyph especially since you are using PP stall Articuno and it will give you defog/wish support which support your two articuno back ups.

Skuntank carries to much of the team and if you add togetic it will have some duties relieved but that also means you could switch it out for either Spiritomb, Drapion, or Shiftry
I have change it these and they have gotten me past 1450 on the ladder so I guess I should explain.
Spiritomb allows you to get burns off like Sigil did but also keep more pressure on as well as having acess to pursuit and if you want to be a REAL souchebag run Spite (I don not reccomend it)
Drapion allows for the physical dark STAB pressure that Skunk did but better. It carries the same typing as well meaning it can remove TSpikes for quag, hit with a powererfull Knock off or Pursuit. This could also be made into a LGS with Swords Dance
Shiftry if the team feels like it really needs a wall breaker then LO + Leaf Storm is usually enough to put a hole in the opposing wall as well as getting defog if you felt like it was needed. unfortunately Shiftry doesn't get pursuit though.

I hope these suggestions have helped you in some sort of manner and I am also going to recommend this team to be put in the team showcase as Articuno actually proven itself to be more viable than what we had all originally expected as well as it does pretty much what Kyurem used to but now it here for OR/AS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)